PDA

View Full Version : Smell of Fear

Pete
07-03-2009, 10:11
Smell of fear is real and contagious

(pop up alert at link)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Health-Science/Smell-of-fear-is-real-and-contagious/articleshow/4733092.cms

LONDON: The smell of fear really does exist, according to a new study, which also suggests that being terrified is infectious.

The study, conducted by Dr Bettina Pause and colleagues at the University of Dusseldorf in Germany, suggests that people subconsciously detect whether others are scared by picking up chemicals they release from their bodies.

Researchers believe the signals can be contagious and can spread around a group.

For the study, researchers put cotton pads under the armpits of 49 student volunteers before they were due to start a university exam, reports the Telegraph.

Pause and colleagues also collected sweat from the same group of students as they worked out on exercise bikes.

They asked another group of 28 volunteer students to sniff the cotton pads while their brains were monitored with an MRI scanner.

None were able to tell the difference between 'panic sweat' and 'exercise sweat' but the brain scans told a different story.

When sniffing 'panic sweat', the researchers found that the regions of the brain that handle emotional and social signals became far more active. Parts of the brain involved in empathy also lit up.

The researchers reckon that fear and anxiety trigger the release of a chemical that makes other people empathise.

The study has been published in the science journal PLoS One.

nmap
07-08-2009, 15:42
That could be quite a useful discovery.

Find the active elements and synthesize them, then project them over a crowd one wanted to disperse.

CSB
07-08-2009, 15:55
adrenaline?

I've always heard that dogs and other wild animals can "smell when you are afraid" but it was simply that they were smelling the adrenaline in your sweat.

Team Sergeant
07-08-2009, 16:23
That could be quite a useful discovery.

Find the active elements and synthesize them, then project them over a crowd one wanted to disperse.

You'd only disperse the sheeple... we can smell it too but it only makes us smile. ;)

Team Sergeant

Richard
07-08-2009, 16:45
Smell of fear is real and contagious

No duh - it smells sour - often followed by the smell of urine, feces, or vomit - I always found it to be energizing. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Coldsteel24
07-09-2009, 07:53
You QP's never fail to make my day

csquare
07-09-2009, 08:17
Used to always smell "fear" when you jumped with GSC/HHC soldiers. Especially when the door opened and the tail gate came down on the 130. Fear would be swirling everywhere!

Dozer523
07-09-2009, 09:04
Used to always smell "fear" when you jumped with GSC/HHC soldiers. Especially when the door opened and the tail gate came down on the 130. Fear would be swirling everywhere! Sort of a barfy smell? Is that what that smell was? Fear?
Seem low level always made me hungry. And nothing tasted better to me as the AC swayed,dipped and climbed then that Hostess Cherry Pie. All that sweet, red goop! That sugary cherry aroma! That lip-smacking taste! Ummmm Mmmmmmm! :p

Utah Bob
07-09-2009, 09:07
All I know is that my wife can damn sure smell it!:rolleyes: