PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint or EOTech

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 19:26
Which do you prefer?

I wanted this to be a public poll, but I see that option is turned off on the board . . .

Sacamuelas
07-05-2004, 20:13
I "Want" an Eotech AA version. I do not posses one yet.

I voted based on reading numerous posts here and elsewhere. I believe the People's Medic sampled both recently and decided the EOtech was his favorite.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 20:21
I vote neither.

I prefer the Trijicon. Tough. Good reticle. Compensating reticle brightness. Fastest transition from light to dark and vice versa. Good out to several hundred meters. No batteries either. I like the TA-31F for the small carbines. Expensive.

Got an Aimpoint. Good if all of your shots are insode 100m. Extreme battery life. Rugged.

Shot the EOTECH. Best HUD. Good reticle, can be used out to 200 or 300 meters, but no mag. Bit short on battery life and previous models have tended to be be somewhat fragile.

Just my .02.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-05-2004, 20:38
Why are we asking?

Do you desire an optic for a weapon?

The optics you pose should be tried once by the buyer.

Good luck.

TS

Footmobile
07-05-2004, 20:41
I vote neither aswell

TR, agreed on the TA-31F.

All around, it has the best qualities you could ask for in a Rifle Combat Optic IMO. Allows you to engage long and close range, tritium illuminated reticle, tough as nails, no batteries to worry about, four power optic. What more could you want?

The EOtech might have the upper hand on speed of engagement, but I'd rather have the four power option that the ACOG brings to the table.

mffjm8509
07-05-2004, 20:55
For now I'll have to vote neither as well, I still shoot the old 1st generation reflex sight pretty well....

I'm interested to see how the Eotech performs.....I just put in a purchase for 6 of them, 2 NVG compatable. It seems to me that some of hte guys returning from 1/10 have a lot of time behind one....

mp

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 20:59
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Do you desire an optic for a weapon?

The optics you pose should be tried once by the buyer.

Yes. As you know, I have tried the EOTech. Plan to try the Aimpoint at first opportunity. And the Trijicon too.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 20:59
Originally posted by mffjm8509
For now I'll have to vote neither as well, I still shoot the old 1st generation reflex sight pretty well....

I'm interested to see how the Eotech performs.....I just put in a purchase for 6 of them, 2 NVG compatable. It seems to me that some of hte guys returning from 1/10 have a lot of time behind one....

mp

Good choice, if all you do is CQB.

TR

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 21:02
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Yes. As you know, I have tried the EOTech. Plan to try the Aimpoint at first opportunity. And the Trijicon too.

As always, the first question is what do you want to be able to do with it?

What weapon is it going on and what is its intended (and possible) purpose?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 21:09
Originally posted by The Reaper
As always, the first question is what do you want to be able to do with it?

What weapon is it going on and what is its intended (and possible) purpose?

TR

You know the weapon. It needs a new upper receiver. Purpose is target shooting mostly inside 500 yards.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 21:27
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
You know the weapon. It needs a new upper receiver. Purpose is target shooting mostly inside 500 yards.

Not sure I do. I do know one of the finest upper builders in the business.

You will be hard pressed to hit a man sized target at 500 meters with either the EOTech or the Aimpoint beyond 300 meters. The Trijicon can do it if you, the ammo, and the rifle do your parts.

PM/email me for details.

TR

Air.177
07-05-2004, 22:16
I borrowed an Eotech from a friend for the shoot this weekend. I ended up mounting it on my m1a1 carbine. It worked pretty well, but the reticle tended to wash out against light colored targets.

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 22:38

You will be hard pressed to hit a man sized target at 500 meters with either the EOTech or the Aimpoint beyond 300 meters. The Trijicon can do it if you, the ammo, and the rifle do your parts.

PM/email me for details.

TR

Already have the info. We discussed this before. Thanks.

mffjm8509
07-06-2004, 04:58
Good choice, if all you do is CQB.

TR

Right....

anymore I maintain all three, ACOG, Reflex, and iron sights zeroed and change due to the application. I also qualify on a popup range with all three, and have my guys do the same wiht whatever sights they use.....and I must admit that these days it is harder for me to hit (or see for that matter) farther targets with the reflex.

mp

Tuukka
07-09-2004, 08:35

PM/email me for details.

TR

When zeroing my 14.5" M4 carbine for a match, me and my team mate fired our weapons out to 300 meters. Targets were rifle targets of various sizes (both metal and paper) and a head size rock. We had a spotter scope and a third man was on it. Optic used was an Aimpoint Comp (Sold the Comp ML a while ago)

I could repeteadly hit the targets and the rock was a target that could also be engaged reliably.

Team mate used a 7.62x39 caliber weapon and i would say that even with the Aimpoint he was using, 300-400m is the max effective range for that caliber against man sized targets.

militarymoron
07-09-2004, 10:15
i agree with TR also, based on my much more limited experience. i have 3 aimpoint comp Ms, an eotech 551 rev E, and an ACOG TA01NSN (but i've shot the TA31F). i found it relatively easy to get hits on 12"x18" steel at 300 yds (zero'd at 50) from the bench (supported) with both the eotech and aimpoint, so at least i know the rifle/ammo/optic combo can do it under optimal conditions, and the rest is up to me. any farther than that and my eyesight needs help from magnified optics.
i actually liked the reticle of the eotech better - my astigmatism makes the aimpoint dot a bit out-of-round. the smaller 1MOA eotech dot was also a bit easier to center on targets.
the ACOG is great, and in retrospect i'd go with the TA31F with donut instead of the TA01NSN if i had to do it over as the TA31F is more versatile at closer ranges.
twilight and lower light conditions is where the extremely clear and magnified optics of the ACOGs shines. when it was getting dark, and the dot of the eotech and aimpoint made it very difficult to pick out targets (due to contrast), the ACOGs would make target ID and hitting them possible.
i'd vote for the TA31F, based on the use you stated.
cheers,
MM

Viking
07-11-2004, 23:30
I haven't tried the EO Tech yet? May be getting them soon. Not sure. I prefer the ACOG because of the magnification which comes in handy at my location. I have a back up iron sight that is zeroed. If I know that we are heading on a DA, I switch and put on my Aimpoint and move the red dot to the center of my iron sights. time permitting, I swing by the range and confirm. not always possible. It's always been dead on though. When I get done, I switch back to the ACOG and go zero. I put it back in the same slots, and it usually requires some very minor adjustments to get dead center.

Guy
07-12-2004, 17:17
I had the EOTECH on this last trip. Depending on the environment/AO you are working in and your actual mission.

Since my mission was changed at the last moment. If I had my choice. I would go with the optic with magnifying capabilities.

Especially in a desert AO. Easier to ID targets further out while keeping the the weapon on target.

The hell with binos when someone is approaching at a high rate of speed. Plus the EOTECH would wash out in or was difficult to acquire the reticle in bright light.

In a desert AO...most likely you will be taking longer shots.

Polypro
07-28-2004, 04:20
EOTech over Aimpoint. No problems with washout, unlike Guy. Newest ones are tough. TA31F if you need magnification and the BAC works for you.

P

Peregrino
08-09-2004, 22:52
EO Tech hands down over the Aimpoint. I've got one of each, the Aimpoint stays on the wife's carbine (she's less likely to use hers socially). Within 150m which is all I'm looking for with the carbines the EO Tech is superior. My only complaint is battery life, it's not as good as the new Aimpoints. I compensate by having the AA version and putting fresh batteries in whenever I'm playing. TR's comments on the ACOGs are spot on. I do a fair amount of longer distance shooting and as my eyes age I'm finding magnification is becoming more critical. He's convinced me of the advantages to the ACOG, I just can't afford one at the moment. I'm getting ready to get an SPR upper built by a friend and I may consider splurging (though I like TR's Leupold too). FWIW - Peregrino

18C4V
08-10-2004, 01:04
ACOG, Aimpoint (CCO), and BIS. We have to zero and qualify with all three on my team. I keep the ACOG on my weapon and have the CCO with the BIS handy in case I have to switch out.

rudelsg2
08-10-2004, 07:44
I've used a EO TECH since about 99' and I love it. I've shot out to 300m with it, no problem. I do agree the N batteries do leave a little to be desired. I beleive it is heads and shoulders above the COMP M, but still miss the ACOG's range. But lately most of my work has been done in urban enviroments and I just don't like the magnified veiw in a close gun fight. Most of my engagements have been 100m or less.

For you ACOG guys here's a set up you might want to think about. There is a sight called the the J Point, a fellow Tm Sgt had the company make him a bracket to fit his J Point on top of his ACOG. The bracket mounts in place of the rear appreature. With this set up it gives him the best of both worlds, ACOG for long range and the J Point for close range work. The J Point itself is good out to 200 yards.

It comes in with either a 4 minute dot or a 8 minute dot. The 8 minute dot is fine to use as a back up for CQB, 4 minute if your going to use this for a Primary site. I'm trying to purchase some of these for my ODA and might switch over to this set up myself.
Just thoought I'd throw that out there.

Air.177
08-10-2004, 09:00
Here (http://www.jprifles.com/Jpoint.shtml) is a link to the Jpoint.

Looks similar to the tasco optima and the Doctor sight.

18C4V
08-10-2004, 10:44
Originally posted by rudelsg2
For you ACOG guys here's a set up you might want to think about. There is a sight called the the J Point, a fellow Tm Sgt had the company make him a bracket to fit his J Point on top of his ACOG. The bracket mounts in place of the rear appreature. With this set up it gives him the best of both worlds, ACOG for long range and the J Point for close range work. The J Point itself is good out to 200 yards.

It comes in with either a 4 minute dot or a 8 minute dot. The 8 minute dot is fine to use as a back up for CQB, 4 minute if your going to use this for a Primary site. I'm trying to purchase some of these for my ODA and might switch over to this set up myself.

Dude,
Let me know how it works out. I'm going to give my team sgt a heads up regarding this.

Thanks for the link Air.177

Air.177
08-10-2004, 10:56
Originally posted by rudelsg2
I've used a EO TECH since about 99' and I love it. I've shot out to 300m with it, no problem. I do agree the N batteries do leave a little to be desired. I beleive it is heads and shoulders above the COMP M, but still miss the ACOG's range. But lately most of my work has been done in urban enviroments and I just don't like the magnified veiw in a close gun fight. Most of my engagements have been 100m or less.

How do the Jpoints hold up? I have played with some of the JP stuff in the past, but have always considered it to be "Game Gear" and not likely to hold up to real world use/abuse I know their match triggers are really nice if they are done right.

Several friends of mine have the JP open sights mounted at about 1 o'clock on the forend of their scoped ARs for close range targets, and it always looked cool, if a little excessive.

rudelsg2
08-10-2004, 11:15
I know Brett used his in Iraq on the last rotation (not in the current configuration with the ACOG) and had no complaints. I'll have to double check, but I believe the mount has a protective hood like the EO TECH. The first gen of HOLO sights made by Bushnell (first gen meaning first I saw used on a military rifle) were pretty much the same way (fragile) till EO TECH came out with the 550 Model which was "militarized" with a protective hood and the other features.