PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this TANK? Please Call...

Snaquebite
07-02-2009, 10:01
One hell of a "report of survey"

How do you lose a tank? - Legion post searches for missing WWII tank

SUSSEX - In 1946, the U.S. Department of Defense donated an Army tank to the American Legion Post in Sussex Borough to pay tribute to the region’s World War II veterans. Now, after more than 60 years, Uncle Sam wants its 15-ton tank back — and no one seems to know where it is.

In late June, the Department of Defense sent a letter to American Legion Post 213 Commander Herman Terpstra requesting that the group return an M3A1 light tank that was donated to the post in March 1946. The letter states that the Legion post is required to send back either a color photograph of the tank or evidence of its current whereabouts or bear responsibility for the cost of the vehicle, according to Douglas Cherkas, past Commander of the post. He’s now commander for the whole of Sussex County.......

Anyone who has information regarding the whereabouts of the tank can contact the American Legion Post 213 at 973-875-3551.

http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2008/08/01/advertiser_news/news/9.txt_

Pete
07-02-2009, 10:11
The whole story in the article makes more sense.

The Legion Post didn't have a site ready when the tank showed up so it was displayed on another county property - then disappeared.

I'll bet a few years later everybody changed positions and the new people didn't know the story on the tank. A few more years and somebody said "Get rid of that hunk of scrap metal."

And so it goes.

Richard
07-02-2009, 10:17
Maybe call Ghostbusters?

Buried in the motor pool? It's been done. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Dozer523
07-02-2009, 10:50
Buried in the motor pool? It's been done. ;)

Richard's $.02
G-- D---- it, Richard!!:mad: We did NOT bury it! I don't give a S--- how the story was told or who told it. (The Brigade Commander was NOT there.) We disassembled it. . . Completely.:) Besides, if that D---- 10 level Mechanic could handle more then half a can of beer, no one would have known much less cared.
BTW there is a statutes of limitations, ya know? It was 1981 for Christ's sake! :D

PSM
07-02-2009, 10:58
Why does the Army want it back? Is the current administration that afraid of veterans? :rolleyes:

Pat

greenberetTFS
07-02-2009, 11:12
G-- D---- it, Richard!!We did NOT bury it! I don't give a S--- how the story was told or who told it. (The Brigade Commander was NOT there.) We disassembled it. . . Completely.:) Besides, if that D---- 10 level Mechanic could handle more then half a can of beer, no one would have known much less cared.
BTW there is a statutes of limitations, ya know? It was 1981 for Christ's sake!

Dozer,

Your nuts! :p Has anybody told you that,however your also definitely funny....:cool:

Big Teddy :munchin

The Reaper
07-02-2009, 11:29
Tank?

What tank?

You got a valid hand receipt?

Who signed it?

Never heard of him.

TR

tst43
07-02-2009, 11:50
Tank?

What tank?

You got a valid hand receipt?

Who signed it?

Never heard of him.

TR

As always, I like the way The Reaper thinks.

Dozer523
07-02-2009, 12:25
Dozer,
Your nuts! Has anybody told you that,however your also definitely funny....:cool:Big Teddy This is about a TANK?:confused:
Oh, I thought we were talking about that old beat to S--- Duece-and-a-half back in Aschaffenburg . . .;)
Never Mind.:D

Sdiver
07-02-2009, 20:11
Talk about taking "Lend-Lease" to the extreme. :rolleyes:

:munchin

Richard
07-02-2009, 21:00
This is about a TANK?

Tank? I thought he was talking about that M110 SP. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Paslode
07-02-2009, 21:01
Why would the Military want a donated 60 year old tank returned?

armymom1228
07-02-2009, 21:20
G-- D---- it, Richard!!:mad: We did NOT bury it! I don't give a S--- how the story was told or who told it. (The Brigade Commander was NOT there.) We disassembled it. . . Completely.:) Besides, if that D---- 10 level Mechanic could handle more then half a can of beer, no one would have known much less cared.
BTW there is a statutes of limitations, ya know? It was 1981 for Christ's sake! :D

Dozer darlin' I found the tank... (shhh pc incorect photo below, but don't tell anyone.. ) you did not hide it well enough. It fell into the 'wrong' hands.. :eek:

Utah Bob
07-03-2009, 08:46

Top 10 reasons the Army wants their tank back.

10. The scrap metal money will help reduce the deficit.
9. Somebody found out it was the same tank Patton used to cruise for chicks.
8. We recycle everything nowadays.
7. Some idiot clerk filed the wrong form.
6. The Army is going to experiment with making it into a hybrid.
5. Sherman tank?? We thought it was a water tank! Never mind.
4. It's Green. Green is in.
3. Some General at the 5 sided barn wants a really big paperweight
2. Homeland Security is afraid it'll fall into the wrong hands (see Armymom's post)

And the number 1 reason the Army is demanding their tank back.....

Because they can.:D

mojaveman
07-03-2009, 09:09

Yeah, and what initiated this search after 60 years? An officer sitting at a desk somewhere bored and with too much time on his hands? I could think of better things to worry about.

It's probably sitting in some rich guys private collection of armored military vehicles. They do exist.

Saoirse
07-03-2009, 10:32
I'm sorry... they ran out of tires at the trailer park and are now using it as a planter. :D:D

PR31C
07-03-2009, 18:56
Besides, if that D---- 10 level Mechanic could handle more then half a can of beer, no one would have known much less cared.
Dozer,
It wasn't the Mechanic, it was that dam photo :eek:

Paslode
07-03-2009, 19:30
Considering the political environment, the attempted grab on once fired brass and the MIAC and it's Right Wing Radical Vets, I'll take Door No.2 on Utah Bob's list - Zero and Homeland Security are afraid it will fall into the hands of True Americans i.e. Vets

Though from recollection the antique M3 Stewart has maybe 3-4 inches of armor top side and a awkward side mounted 75mm gun. Not that it could not cause damage, but I am guessing the M3 would do as well against a .50 Barrett as it did Panzers....so whats the worry.

mojaveman brings up another interesting point, Private Collections. How long before DHS and/or the Bored Officer behind the desk began grabbing these?

The Reaper
07-03-2009, 19:51
Though from recollection the antique M3 Stewart has maybe 3-4 inches of armor top side and a awkward side mounted 75mm gun. Not that it could not cause damage, but I am guessing the M3 would do as well against a .50 Barrett as it did Panzers....so whats the worry.

Negative.

The Stuart is a light tank with thin armor. I doubt if there is more than an inch anywhere on it.

It mounts a 37mm main gun in a conventional center-line turret.

Remember the Haunted Tank comic book? That was a Stuart.

I think you have it confused with the M-3 Grant tank.

TR

Utah Bob
07-03-2009, 19:52
Considering the political environment, the attempted grab on once fired brass and the MIAC and it's Right Wing Radical Vets, I'll take Door No.2 on Utah Bob's list - Zero and Homeland Security are afraid it will fall into the hands of True Americans i.e. Vets

mojaveman brings up another interesting point, Private Collections. How long before DHS and/or the Bored Officer behind the desk began grabbing these?

The Grant had the side mounted 75mm. See Sahara with Humphrey Boagart.
The Stuart was the 3 man light tank. See The Haunted Tank comics.:D

Edit. TR beat me to it. :)

Our local VFW is trying to get one for the hall.
We'll keep track of it, I swear!

sg1987
07-03-2009, 19:54
This is about a TANK?:confused:
Oh, I thought we were talking about that old beat to S--- Duece-and-a-half back in Aschaffenburg . . .;)
Never Mind.:D-

I'd love to go back to visit A-burg!

Paslode
07-03-2009, 20:35
Negative.

The Stuart is a light tank with thin armor. I dount if there is more than an inch anywhere on it.

It mounts a 37mm main gun in a conventional center-line turret.

Remember the Haunted Tank comic book? That was a Stuart.

I think you have it confused with the M-3 Grant tank.

TR

You are correct, right tank wrong name.