PDA

View Full Version : Weight Requirements for SFAS?/ Waiver Available?

conrad30
06-30-2009, 17:38
Are there any weight requirements/ limits for SFAS? If so, is it possible to get a weight waiver if you are in shape and can max out the PFT? Had a friend in the 19th SFG who informed me that they adhere pretty strictly to the acceptable height-weight military BMI chart.:lifter
Thank you in advance for any intel on this matter.

The Reaper
06-30-2009, 17:45
Are you in compliance with the Army weight standards?

Can you pass a tape test?

TR

conrad30
06-30-2009, 17:53
At 73 inches, 240lbs. I am 40lbs over the max weight for my age bracket.

Tape test no problem. <10% BFP.

SF_BHT
06-30-2009, 18:34

Tape test are only as good as the person administering it.....

Looks like you answered your question.. Meet standards you are a Go at This Station......

The Reaper
06-30-2009, 18:42

How do your run and ruck times look?

TR

conrad30
06-30-2009, 19:43
First, let me say that I am a non-prior looking at REP-63 in the 20th SFG ANG. I currently serve as a SWAT officer and police academy instructor/ private security consultant. I have determined that I will definitely sign a reserve/ ANG contract in the next year and am covering my bases on all options. Having friends who served in the 19th and 20th SFG's I have given preference to this path... if they have billet vacancies and will take me.
So right now I am trying to ascertain whether I should be focusing on bettering my PFT score regardless of bodyweight, or focus on lowering my bodyweight knowing that losing 30+ lbs of muscle will almost certainly have an adverse affect on my PT score.

I run 6 miles 3x/ week and clock in at under 40 min. I run 3 miles at 18 min. I ruck once a week on sundays and maintain around 3 mph pace regardless of distance with 75lb. alice pack.

The Reaper
06-30-2009, 20:39
First, let me say that I am a non-prior looking at REP-63 in the 20th SFG ANG. I currently serve as a SWAT officer and police academy instructor/ private security consultant. I have determined that I will definitely sign a reserve/ ANG contract in the next year and am covering my bases on all options. Having friends who served in the 19th and 20th SFG's I have given preference to this path... if they have billet vacancies and will take me.
So right now I am trying to ascertain whether I should be focusing on bettering my PFT score regardless of bodyweight, or focus on lowering my bodyweight knowing that losing 30+ lbs of muscle will almost certainly have an adverse affect on my PT score.

I run 6 miles 3x/ week and clock in at under 40 min. I run 3 miles at 18 min. I ruck once a week on sundays and maintain around 3 mph pace regardless of distance with 75lb. alice pack.

That is an abysmal ruck pace.

If you cannot do better than 15 minute miles (4mph, and 5 mph would be better), save yourself the trouble, you will not make it.

If you have to drop the weight to improve your ruck times, do so.

You need to get the SWCS SFAS PT prep program referenced elsewhere, and follow it.

If you can pass their strict tape test, you should be allowed to participate. Nevertheless, your weight will attract attention.

TR

conrad30
07-01-2009, 00:46
Thanks TR. Good advice. I haven't taken rucking as seriously as running and the other PT goals. Will do.

blue902
07-01-2009, 04:33
just interested to hear the physicals of somebody who can run 6 6.5 minute miles, that's a stiff pace for 240 lbs.

what are your specs in the rest of PT if ya don't mind the question?

conrad30
07-01-2009, 14:08
Situps around 100 in 2 min.
Pushups >100 in 2 min.
14 dead-hang USMC-style pullups (hands facing away)

As a law enforcement officer and former D-1 football player, I have taken the strength and conditioning portion of my preparation very seriously, but have not yet gotten out and pushed myself rucking.

krod
07-01-2009, 15:07
Drop your ruck down to 55, and walk 12 miles in about 3 hours, do it again the next day, if you can manage about the same time and not be physically desroyed you'll be good. When you walk, walk in pants and boots you will be wearing if you were to attend sfas... I am about your size and my inner thighs get tore up in acu bottoms.

Sarge, can I go to sick call cause my ass is chaffed up?

I see a lot of physical "studs" but their feet cant hold up past the star and they go limpin over to the vw hut.

The Reaper
07-01-2009, 15:25
12 miles in 3 hrs. with 55 lbs. is not necessarily good enough.

If you are doing it on paved roads, shoulders, or hard packed trails, your times will be significantly longer at Mackall in the soft sand, should you get that far.

If you have access to a sandy, muddy, cross-country route and can make 13-14 minute miles, you would be a lot better off. Part of it is physical training and part of it is hardening and conditioning feet, shoulders, etc.

The correlation between ruck times and PT scores and selection rates is posted elsewhere here for you to search out and read at your convenience.

Make sure that the form of your push-ups and sit-ups are good as well.

TR