PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Construction

Richard
06-29-2009, 18:56
Anybody ever see a 13 story building tip over without any extraordinary circumstances? Here's one which recently occurred in Shanghai, China. :eek:

http://www.stern.de/bdt/:Bilder-Tages-Bilder-Tages/614399.html?cp=12

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Sigaba
06-29-2009, 19:21
The photo lends new meaning to the concept of 'urban renewal.'

Given the recent issues the PRC has had with product safety (e.g. lead in toys) one can only guess how many buildings--and parking structures:p--that have been built recently or are being built are catastrophes waiting to happen?

Defender968
06-29-2009, 20:25
Wow, my German is very week, was there anyone inside when if went over? Either way I'm sure quite a few folks were saying oh S*&^ on that one.

JJ_BPK
06-30-2009, 03:17
Anybody ever see a 13 story building tip over without any extraordinary circumstances? Here's one which recently occurred in Shanghai, China. :eek:

http://www.stern.de/bdt/:Bilder-Tages-Bilder-Tages/614399.html?cp=12

It's a bit extraordinary, given the fact that the unit fell without fracturing into multiple pieces. It must be a monolithic pore with a very good re-bar grid. The Aluminum grid on the individual balconies stayed sq??

The big question(s),,
Why were the support columns not deeper??
When will the other three fail??
Did this engineer support BHO??

:confused::D

Ret10Echo
06-30-2009, 04:08
Did this engineer support BHO??:confused::D

Shallow foundation...poor ground work....looks good from a distance but structurally flawed....:rolleyes:

I'd say he probably did......:D

Richard
06-30-2009, 04:27
Wow, my German is very week, was there anyone inside when if went over?

It claims a 28 yo worker went inside to get his tools and was killed trying to leap from a balcony when the building merely tipped over. I've seen buildings being built in SEA and LA - pretty scary.

bailaviborita
07-02-2009, 20:14
I've heard that Africans are increasingly pissed about the quality of construction going on in their countries wrt the Chinese. They are starting to equate "made in China" with piss-poor quality. Thus, U.S. companies are starting to take off the "made in china" labels on all their giveaways- or risk being seen as cheap...