PDA

View Full Version : Beer and food

brewmonkey
07-04-2004, 20:22
You always here about good wines being paired with food. Like a nice red wine with your cut of beef or a white wine with your fish. Yet you hardly ever hear of beer being paired with food. Like a wine will enhance and compliment the flavor of the meal, a beer can do exactly the same thing.

There are many categories of beer, and many sub categories within them. Everything from a light American pilsner all the way up to barrel aged Imperial Stouts. With such a wide selection it can be understandably difficult to choose. Choosing the beer is just like choosing the wine though. What flavor components does this beer have that will bring out the flavor of your food.

Most of the US tends to drink American macro brewery lagers. Budweiser or Coors leading the way. Believe it or not they are generic beers that have been formulated to be as tasteless as they are. It is hard NOT to match it to your meal. So we will talk about the lesser known beers, what we would call craft beers. Made in smaller breweries and usually done completely by hand with a small staff.

www.beertown.org has some great information on homebrewing and craft brewing.

Some of the more popular craft beers made tend to be Pale Ales. Known for their copper color and crisp hop flavor and bitterness they might be referred to as a session beer. Usually a modest beer in terms of flavors an can be matched well with burgers and brats during the tailgate for the football game. Another beer you might consider for you brat's is a nice German style lager, like a Schwarbier (dark beer) to bring out the flavor of the brat.

For the lazy day around the house and for after mowing the grass, one might grab a nice Hefe Weizen. Those who have been to Germany will know this beer. A turbid golden beer well known for its banana & clove aroma and flavor, it is a great beer for just lying around. The aroma/flavor comes from the yeast that is used and how it metaboliozes the sugars created from the use of wheat in the mash.

Making something spicey for dinner? Maybe some schezuan or something along that line. Grab yourself something with a nice hop bitterness. Yes, that old bitter beer face from the Keystone commericals. An IPA or an India Pale Ale is a beer belonging to the Pale ale family that has a touch more malt and a very assertive hop bitterness, it carries well with spiced foods.

Seafood on the menu? Going to steam some mussles or maybe some lobster? A Czech pils such as Budvar (under the name Czechvar in the US) works well as will another Czech beer Pilsner Urquell (original source).

Done with dinner and looking to relax with a nice piece of chocolate cake? A rich beer, something big like an Imperial Stout or a Barleywine goes very nicely with cake. Another option is an Oatmeal stout float. Place a brownie in the bottom of a stein, fill it about 2/3 of the way up with an Oatmeal stout and then a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I know what you are thinking but it is actually good. An oatmeal stout would be somethign like Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout and not Guinness which is a dry stout.

I know this is just barley touching on the varities of beers on that are out there, but to much of a good thing can be bad. If you would like to know where you might find some of these beers in your area you can check out www.beeradvocate.com or www.ratebeer.com

While they are sites for rating beers, they do have the ability for you to look up beers in your area. With the emergence of all the breweries in the last 15 years, what is available in one place is not available elsewhere.

The Reaper
07-04-2004, 20:37
Excellent beer info.

I have friends who like the IPAs, but I find them too bitter and strong for me. Too much aftertaste to enjoy with food.

Frankly, when I come in the house from mowing, the lighter the beer, the better.

What are some other brands of Oatmeal Stout? Never heard of the Samuel Smith. Sounds cardiac friendly! Not going to put my dessert in it though.

Thanks for the tips!

TR

lrd
07-04-2004, 20:48
One of the local museums has a micro-brew beer tasting fundraiser each summer. A good time is always had by all. ;)

One of my favorites is a local Oatmeal Stout. It's limited, so I'd also be interested in a good brand to buy.

Great information, brewmonkey. Thanks.

Sacamuelas
07-05-2004, 07:02
Now that is moderating... LEAD from the front!!!

Thanks for the info... I see I have some researching to do. I ride the beer "short bus" right now... but not for long. LOL

Roycroft201
07-05-2004, 10:24
Two really interesting links.

Thanks, brewmonkey !

brewmonkey
07-05-2004, 12:50
Originally posted by The Reaper
Excellent beer info.

I have friends who like the IPAs, but I find them too bitter and strong for me. Too much aftertaste to enjoy with food.

Frankly, when I come in the house from mowing, the lighter the beer, the better.

What are some other brands of Oatmeal Stout? Never heard of the Samuel Smith. Sounds cardiac friendly! Not going to put my dessert in it though.

Thanks for the tips!

TR

Samuel Smiths is imported from the UK. Oatmeal stouts are big and chewy, or at least they should be. Rich smokey flavor almost coffee like and oatmeal in the grain bill adds a oily complexity to the flavor making it full. In your neck of the woods you might check out these places. If they do not have something like an oatmeal stout the brewer should know where to find them.

Huske Hardware House Brewing Company

The Mash House Restaurant & Brewery

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 13:08
Huske served the Alien Visitors and I raspberry flavored (heavily) beer recently, the Mash House is worse.

Huske's Airborne Ale (second from the right, IIRC) was pretty good though.

Looks like a trip to see the Class VI Manager for a special order is needed!

TR

brewmonkey
07-05-2004, 13:22
For lighter beers after mowing I would check out Cream Ales or Kolsch's. Popular cream ales would be Rolling Rock and Genesee. On the Kolsch side you might look for Alaskan Summer Ale which I believe is available in your area or Capital Brewing's Kolsch.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 13:32
I like Rolling Rock and Genesee Cream, thanks!

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 14:58
Originally posted by The Reaper
What are some other brands of Oatmeal Stout? Never heard of the Samuel Smith.

It's like a Booker's of Stout. The Oatmeal Stout is excellent.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 15:08
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
It's like a Booker's of Stout. The Oatmeal Stout is excellent.

Roger.

At the Store when they open tomorrow looking for it.

TR

Phantom
12-26-2005, 05:05
I practically grew up drinking Little Kings Cream Ale. It was a cheap and easy score back when I was still a school-boy, and wasn't half bad either, unless you got a 8-pack that was "skunked."

Brings back many fine memories.

Starbuck
12-30-2005, 16:30
I like an ice cold Sam Adams or that Mexican beer, Dos Equus isn't half bad.

SP5IC
12-30-2005, 17:08

TR

That would be two of us. Genny Cream was my hallmark in grad school in the 70s. I'd order a few at the "Orange" in Syracuse. The ONLY problem with the Genny Cream was the look by the other patrons. It created some nasty wind. A decade later I ended up in New Hartford, NY...a love affair with Utica Club developed.

UberAlles
12-31-2005, 06:28
I knew it before, but this thread just re-inforced my knowledge. I'm a total and complete newbie to beer. I guess that statement can be applied to all alcohol in general. For the year or so i've been legal to drink the stuff it's been only Guiness, Dos Equis, and St. Pauli Girl. I need to get out more or something.

FILO
12-31-2005, 07:15

TR

Genny Screamers, drank many of those as a teenager in upstate New York. Brewed in downtown Rochester, New York in a plant overlooking the Genesee River High Falls.

This is their website: https://www.highfalls.com/default.html. I enjoy their J.W. Dundee Honey Brown and Michael Shea's Irish Amber.

HOLLiS
12-31-2005, 11:46
The NorthWet has some great micro brews. I agree not all beers go with all food. But all Beers will go with Pizza. So if you are eating Pizza, beer choice is never a issue. For desert let me suggest, a Becks Dark with Moch almond fudge Ice cream.

brewmonkey
12-31-2005, 12:15
I knew it before, but this thread just re-inforced my knowledge. I'm a total and complete newbie to beer. I guess that statement can be applied to all alcohol in general. For the year or so i've been legal to drink the stuff it's been only Guiness, Dos Equis, and St. Pauli Girl. I need to get out more or something.

There is a ton of much better tasting beer out there for you. Since you seem to like those German Style lagers (Dos XX and St. P) check out brewers making beers like Vienna Lagers, Dortmunders, Bohemian Pilsners or Helles. Go to beeradvocate.com or ratebeer.com to find some local brewers who are making those styles. Of course there are a ton of other styles out there to experience.