PDA

View Full Version : Leadership Help

TommyGun
06-22-2009, 09:46
I hope I am posting this isn the right forum.

Gentlemen,

I am an E-7 and I have been recently assigned as the Company 1SG for a CA Company. I have experience as a Team SGT on 3 deployments, one to Iraq on rotation 2 and 2 rotations to Afghanistan 7, and 8. I would like some insight on the peer eval that SF uses. I like the idea of each person knowing where they stand with the rest of the group. Including myself.

DOes the Peer Eval follow a standard format?
Is it possible to attain this format?

My goal is to get the very green soldiers and SGTs ready for our future rotations that seem to be around the corner. Any and all advice is welcome. I do hope that Pete is not ready to squeeze the remaining gap between his fingers on my head!! :D

"Tommygun - you are about this (holding two fingers close together) close to getting a new title under your user name.

Want me to squash them together? "

Thanks,

TG

The Reaper
06-22-2009, 10:51
Congratulations on your assignment.

I do not think we are going to be discussing, much less handing out peer reporting info here. You may be able to find a civilian instrument that meets your needs.

BTW, Team SGT has a very specific meaning here, and you are not one of them.

I am beginning to see what drew Pete's attention.

TR

TommyGun
06-22-2009, 11:08
Reaper,
I did not mean to offend the name Team SGT, I know I am not the same caliber as you guys and never meant to make that assumption, I was only letting you guys know my experience level. I appreciate your advice and input as always.

TG

Pete
06-22-2009, 11:26
As the 1SG you should not really care what they think of you. 5% are going to hate your guts no matter what you do.

Know your job, do it very well, let the troops know what you expect of them, hold them to it and don't play favorites.

Be Professional.

And don't let the CO be surprised at a Higher Up's meeting. If something not so nice is going on he should know, even if he "don't know". His correct answer when one of the higher ups slings a dart is "Yes Sir, I know about it. My 1SG is handling it/took care of it."

TommyGun
06-22-2009, 11:38
Roger that Pete, i already don't care what they think of me, I was looking for more how they view each other, as a tool to hold them accountable to each other as NCO's...I appreciate the input...and for not squeezing your fingers together...:D

TG

Razor
06-23-2009, 11:20
TG,

Think about the qualities listed on an NCOER, and how raters write bullet comments. Add whatever other traits you feel are important for a soldier in your company to possess.

Scimitar
06-23-2009, 14:51
If I may throw my non-army but professional experience in here...

Correct me if I've miss heard you here...

Essentially you want to develop a system that provides each NCO accurate feedback on their performance based on a clearly defined skill set and KPIs...?

You want this feedback to come from the 3D chain. From up the chain, from down the chain, and from across the chain....?

Your goal is to see this system create a significant increase in specific performance metrics over a relatively short period of time in each individual....?

Did I butcher that well...?

Performance Management (as it’s called in the private sector) is definitely an art not a science and actually isn't that easy to do well.

From experience in the private sector, tread carefully, done well it can be the defining tool (in calaboration with other tools) for the development of your positive team culture and therefore team success. Done badly it can be quite a waste of time and possibly create a negative effect.

I haven’t been thru SFAS but have a fair idea of how the peer reviews work. What they do in SFAS won't work for performance management on a large team; a bit like how the surge in Iraq won’t necessarily work in Afghanistan.

In SFAS, it's used primarily as an assessment tool for a very small short lived team.

My understanding...I could be wrong....is that it is a tool for the Cadre to select not really for the individual to improve, although I understand that you do receive some feedback on the reports.

As soon as the team becomes a large long-term team and you want to use your system for improvement not just for assessment all the rules change.

I’d be interested to understand what exactly the Army does already in the area of Performance management…?

As a starter Google “Performance Management” and read a couple of articles, just to give you some ideas. Wikipedia gives a nice little brief on it.

Performance Management (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_management)

Organizational Development (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizational_development)

Just some thoughts and hope that helps a little.

Scimitar