PDA

View Full Version : One killed in restaurant robbery (but may have deeper significance)

nmap
06-21-2009, 13:54
First, an excerpt:

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - A young woman who worked at a Denny's Restaurant on Albuquerque's West Side was killed Saturday morning during what police describe as a takeover-style robbery, and officers are still searching for suspects.

Police by mid-afternoon Saturday detained two possible suspects from the 10 a.m. robbery at the Denny's on Coors Boulevard at Iliff Road NW.

"Four masked men came in with guns," Brian Thompson told News 13. "Two went toward the back. That's all we could see because we all hit the ground."

Albuquerque police spokeswoman Nadine Hamby said witnesses told police they saw between two and six suspects.

She said police are interviewing at least 100 people to piece together what happened.

LINK (http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_one_dead_in_dennys_shooting _200906201431)

An associated link (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i2SGyqcA5oqhbv6Pd44BTmMvU_2wD98UKOHO1)

A different new source adds:

A Saturday morning breakfast for 60 restaurant guests quickly turned into a nightmare.

Police said a group of masked men and possibly women stormed into the popular diner and began shooting.

Witnesses said us one of the men had a machine gun, the others fired handguns at random.

LINK (http://www.koat.com/news/19810824/detail.html)

This seems a bit odd - beyond the usual robbery.

The restaurant was crowded, with 60 or so customers in for breakfast. Between 2 and 6 bad guys(?) come in, one perhaps with an "assault rifle", in what the police call a takeover robbery.

They kill an employee, leave, and the police get there.

So is this suggestive of the troubles in Mexico migrating north? Does it indicate a possible trend in robberies? And - what does one do to avoid such excitement?

And now, a little something to reflect on. This is from The Trends Journal, Spring 2009, run by Gerald Celente (subscription only service, hence no link). It is written from the perspective of a narrator in the year 2012.

The Denny's attack seems to correlate rather well with the predictions below.

MARKET OPPORTUNITIES
In the US, up to 2009, a good portion of violence was gang-on-gang and drug related, but it would not stay that way. The American appetite for drugs, though huge, had its limits. 20,000 gangs vying for the same market produced a power struggle that saw individual gangs looking to both diversify and merge with competitors. Other businesses gangs were involved in included auto theft, assault, burglary, extortion, home invasion robberies, homicide, identity theft, insurance fraud, mortgage fraud, prostitution rings and weapons trafficking.

But the most profitable gangland business model imported into the US from Mexico was kidnapping.

Between 2007 and 2009, nearly 700 kidnappings for ransom were recorded in Phoenix. These were confined almost exclusively to Latinos involved in the drug
or immigrant-trafficking industries.

But by 2012, Phoenix, along with Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, New York City … would look like Mexico City. Kidnapping would become an equal opportunity criminal occupation with extraordinary profit potential. It would expand exponentially beyond the current Latino/drug/trafficking market sectors to include anyone (white, black, old, young) able, or thought to be able, to pay a high ransom.

Trend Forecast: Beyond organized crime (white collar and gangland), America and much of the world would experience a vicious, long, and intractable crime wave. As economies deteriorated, the criminal class would expand as the disenfranchised underclass sank to desperation levels, and substantial numbers of the middle and even upper classes became the new lower class.

Freelance criminals would vie with gangs and other organized professionals in the search for easy marks and powerless prey. From Ponzi schemes to bank robberies, from home invasions by marauding teams to garden-variety street muggings, crime would pay handsomely.

No amount of “get tough on crime” legislation, police on the streets or CCTVs would stop or mitigate the trend. There would be no time to dial 911. Even gated community dwellers would be vulnerable. Rent-a-cops at the gates would be no match for well-planned assaults by well-armed thugs.

The aware and prepared … those understanding just how out of control society would become, and those who had acquired the skills for survival would stand the best chance of navigating the chaos safely.

But Americans were not prepared. Not by a long shot.

Trendpost: Guns, ammunition, self-protection, self-defense, bodyguards, alarm systems, safes, bullet-proofing (autos, glass, vests), guard dogs, surveillance cameras, window gates … anything and everything having to do with crime prevention will be big business.

The Reaper
06-21-2009, 15:27
Story I heard was that she ran for the back of the restaurant, and they shot her.

May not be as complicated as it sounds.

TR

greenberetTFS
06-21-2009, 15:59
First, an excerpt:

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - A young woman who worked at a Denny's Restaurant on Albuquerque's West Side was killed Saturday morning during what police describe as a takeover-style robbery, and officers are still searching for suspects.

Police by mid-afternoon Saturday detained two possible suspects from the 10 a.m. robbery at the Denny's on Coors Boulevard at Iliff Road NW.

"Four masked men came in with guns," Brian Thompson told News 13. "Two went toward the back. That's all we could see because we all hit the ground."

Albuquerque police spokeswoman Nadine Hamby said witnesses told police they saw between two and six suspects.

She said police are interviewing at least 100 people to piece together what happened.

LINK (http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_one_dead_in_dennys_shooting _200906201431)

An associated link (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i2SGyqcA5oqhbv6Pd44BTmMvU_2wD98UKOHO1)

A different new source adds:

A Saturday morning breakfast for 60 restaurant guests quickly turned into a nightmare.

Police said a group of masked men and possibly women stormed into the popular diner and began shooting.

Witnesses said us one of the men had a machine gun, the others fired handguns at random.

LINK (http://www.koat.com/news/19810824/detail.html)

The restaurant was crowded, with 60 or so customers in for breakfast. Between 2 and 6 bad guys(?) come in, one perhaps with an "assault rifle", in what the police call a takeover robbery.

So is this suggestive of the troubles in Mexico migrating north? Does it indicate a possible trend in robberies? And - what does one do to avoid such excitement?

And now, a little something to reflect on. This is from The Trends Journal, Spring 2009, run by Gerald Celente (subscription only service, hence no link). It is written from the perspective of a narrator in the year 2012.

The Denny's attack seems to correlate rather well with the predictions below.

MARKET OPPORTUNITIES
In the US, up to 2009, a good portion of violence was gang-on-gang and drug related, but it would not stay that way. The American appetite for drugs, though huge, had its limits. 20,000 gangs vying for the same market produced a power struggle that saw individual gangs looking to both diversify and merge with competitors. Other businesses gangs were involved in included auto theft, assault, burglary, extortion, home invasion robberies, homicide, identity theft, insurance fraud, mortgage fraud, prostitution rings and weapons trafficking.

But the most profitable gangland business model imported into the US from Mexico was kidnapping.

Between 2007 and 2009, nearly 700 kidnappings for ransom were recorded in Phoenix. These were confined almost exclusively to Latinos involved in the drug
or immigrant-trafficking industries.

But by 2012, Phoenix, along with Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, New York City … would look like Mexico City. Kidnapping would become an equal opportunity criminal occupation with extraordinary profit potential. It would expand exponentially beyond the current Latino/drug/trafficking market sectors to include anyone (white, black, old, young) able, or thought to be able, to pay a high ransom.

Trend Forecast: Beyond organized crime (white collar and gangland), America and much of the world would experience a vicious, long, and intractable crime wave. As economies deteriorated, the criminal class would expand as the disenfranchised underclass sank to desperation levels, and substantial numbers of the middle and even upper classes became the new lower class.

Freelance criminals would vie with gangs and other organized professionals in the search for easy marks and powerless prey. From Ponzi schemes to bank robberies, from home invasions by marauding teams to garden-variety street muggings, crime would pay handsomely.

No amount of “get tough on crime” legislation, police on the streets or CCTVs would stop or mitigate the trend. There would be no time to dial 911. Even gated community dwellers would be vulnerable. Rent-a-cops at the gates would be no match for well-planned assaults by well-armed thugs.

The aware and prepared … those understanding just how out of control society would become, and those who had acquired the skills for survival would stand the best chance of navigating the chaos safely.

But Americans were not prepared. Not by a long shot.

Trendpost: Guns, ammunition, self-protection, self-defense, bodyguards, alarm systems, safes, bullet-proofing (autos, glass, vests), guard dogs, surveillance cameras, window gates … anything and everything having to do with crime prevention will be big business.

I just don't get it!............. :confused: Going into a "Denny's" with all that firepower,just doesn't make any sense........ :rolleyes: If they were hitting a bank,they would need it,but Denny's!......:eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

nmap
06-21-2009, 16:24
And here's another little twist:

Hamby said the men who were arrested are in their late 20s to early 30s and are from South America, but she did not know where specifically. She said police were working with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to verify the men's identities.

Hamby said police believe the men committed 10 similar robberies in the Albuquerque area in the past year, but no one was shot in those incidents. She would not provide further details.

LINK (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i2SGyqcA5oqhbv6Pd44BTmMvU_2wD98VAL1O0)

This appears to be rather well organized and coordinated. And 10 similar robberies without leaks? Does that sound like OPSEC is somewhat enforced?

I recognize my lack of expertise in this area, but it seems to represent something just a bit unusual.

Utah Bob
06-21-2009, 17:07
No way to tell yet without more information.

Sten
06-21-2009, 17:16
I just don't get it!............. :confused: Going into a "Denny's" with all that firepower,just doesn't make any sense........ :rolleyes: If they were hitting a bank,they would need it,but Denny's!......:eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

Dress rehearsal?

Defender968
06-22-2009, 05:50
There is a huge Hispanic gang/meth problem in Albuquerque, MS13 among others is huge there. I don't know all the specifics on this case, but when I heard the tactics they used, it sounded like there's more to this than meets the eye to me, weather she was involved in anything or I think more likely one of her loved ones was involved in something or not is still to be determined, but I it sounded like a hit squad in retaliation for something to me. As others have said you don't need 4 guys to rob a Denny's.

Just my gut instinct though could be wrong, it's happened once or twice before :cool::D.

Team Sergeant
06-22-2009, 08:33

[/COLOR]

What makes this bad is they were not caught, they will hit again and again as long as they are successful they will continue.
If others (illegals) can read English they will attempt to do the same type of robbery.

As has been written here before, the execution style killings and kidnappings have become so common here in Arizona they are no longer news worthy, the mayor of Phoenix wants everyone to believe Phoenix is a safe place to raise your kids, bad media = less tax dollars.

So far most of the violence is illegal on illegal. Once the illegals realize they can make more money kidnapping Americans the shit will hit the fan. As this ecomony gets worse so does the violence and I do not see the end of either.

Learn to use a weapon, there's never been a better time to learn...

TS

BigJimCalhoun
06-22-2009, 20:16
I freely admit to not having the experience/training to handle 4 armed persons by myself. I am sure many here have ideas on how a civilian should handle a scenario like this.

nmap
06-22-2009, 20:43
Here's further info:

Investigators believe the group is linked to a number of robberies that have occurred over the last month in Albuquerque, including at least three robberies at restaurants. They also believe that Ortiz and Melgar are involved with MS-13, a gang founded by Salvadoran immigrants.

The men had the numbers "503" shaved into their heads. The numbers — the telephone country code for El Salvador — are commonly worn by MS-13 members.

LINK (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hIN0ItBcIfQRWYIsO6ZtIN2rRUngD99025IG0)

BigJimCalhoun: I freely admit to not having the experience/training to handle 4 armed persons by myself. I am sure many here have ideas on how a civilian should handle a scenario like this.

Let me preface by saying I'm in the same boat. I claim absolutely no knowledge or training.

With that disclaimer firmly in mind, robberies are not the worst case. Kidnappings may be.

The Professional Soliders thread HERE (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23418&highlight=harpers) has considerable content.

And this LINK (http://redblueamerica.com/blog/2009-05-04/harpers-mag-came-out-with-a-great-article-on-the-sicario-by-chuck-bowden-a-juarez-hit-man-speaks-5243), provided by Richard in the above thread, is, in my opinion, important reading.

I think we, as largely untrained and untested civilians, must ask ourselves a very serious question - do we submit and cooperate, or do we fight, even though the odds are very much against us. I think the link I provided above, and again HERE (http://redblueamerica.com/blog/2009-05-04/harpers-mag-came-out-with-a-great-article-on-the-sicario-by-chuck-bowden-a-juarez-hit-man-speaks-5243), should be read and reflected upon before one fixes upon an answer.

Richard
06-23-2009, 05:30
One immigration issue you'll seldom see brought up in the MSM is the problem of so many Central and South American immigrants who have been raised in an environment of violence and knowing nothing but war - of having to do nothing but fight for their existence all of their lives - and if they band together...:eek: :(

Richard's $.02 :munchin

nmap
06-24-2009, 16:23
Here's an update, FWIW:

Wednesday, June 24, 2009
APD: Denny's Cook Chased Down, Shot
By Jeff Proctor
Journal Staff Writer

There had been conflicting accounts about how Stephanie Anderson was shot and killed during a strong-arm robbery at Denny's this past weekend.

Police Chief Ray Schultz moved to clear up the confusion on Tuesday. He said the 34-year-old cook was chased down and shot with a revolver as she ran from the robbers.
Witness accounts of the circumstances surro
unding Anderson's death during the armed siege Saturday had varied widely. Some accounts had suggested the gun might have gone off accidentally.

Police spent three-plus painstaking days trying to piece the incident together.

"She was running away from (the gunmen), and they were chasing her," Schultz told the Journal on Tuesday. "We know that Ms. Anderson was shot with a revolver, and those are not prone to being discharged accidentally. So you can come to only one conclusion."

It's not yet clear how many times Anderson was shot.

Detectives are working to determine which of the suspects actually pulled the trigger: Pablo Ortiz, 32, Marvin Lopez-Aguilar, 22, Francisco Melgar, 25, or a possible fourth, unidentified man.

Ortiz and Lopez-Aguilar are being held without bond at the Metropolitan Detention Center on murder and other charges. Melgar, who faces the same charges, is still at large, and authorities believe a fourth suspect may have been involved.

"We're still trying to put the firearm in the offender's hands," the chief said. "That will be done through forensics: fingerprints and DNA. But they all went in there with the purpose of committing an armed robbery. They went in there with the purpose of using firearms. Ultimately, they're all responsible."

Chris Duran, a former firefighter and emergency medical technician for Santa Fe County, told KOAT Channel 7 that he was inside the restaurant at the time of the shooting.

Shortly after the gunmen walked in, he called 911, Duran told KOAT. The next thing he heard was a gunshot.

"When they first walked in, they initially fired a warning shot into the ceiling," he told the station. "Then they told everybody, 'OK, get down.' "

Duran told the station that the armed robbers demanded money from the cash register. He heard another gunshot moments later.

Once the gunmen fled, Duran said he ran back to the kitchen, where he saw Anderson.

"When I first seen her, she was just slumped over, trying to breathe," he told KOAT, adding that she had a gunshot wound right below her shoulder blade.

He told the station he checked her pulse and turned her on her side.

"Her mouth was covered in blood and stuff, so I tried to clear her airway," Duran said. Then "she just stopped breathing," he told the station.

Police say Melgar and Ortiz are Salvadoran gang members. It is unclear whether Lopez-Aguilar is part of the MS-13 gang, but police said all three are part of a group responsible for eight other armed robberies in the city since May 16. Among them was an incident in which the manager of the same Denny's where Saturday's incident took place was robbed at an area bank.

In each case, the robbers used guns and took cash.

LINK (http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/242222577357newsmetro06-24-09.htm)

And, on the illegal immigration issue, the following offers further illumination:

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Alleged Robbers in U.S. Illegally

By Jeff Proctor
Journal Staff Writer

Three men who allegedly stormed into a West Side Denny's over the weekend and killed a 34-year-old cook were in the United States illegally, and one had been deported less than a year ago after an arrest.

Pablo Ortiz, who police say is a member of the notorious Salvadoran gang MS-13, was arrested in Albuquerque in May 2008 on suspicion of DWI. After a judge found him guilty, Ortiz spent 46 days at the Metropolitan Detention Center. He was released on July 7.

About a month later, Ortiz "agreed to participate in a voluntary deportation program," Police Chief Ray Schultz told the Journal.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents "put him on a plane and sent him back to El Salvador" in August of 2008, the chief said. "Some time in the next few months, he sneaked back into the country."

Federal officials also confirmed that two other suspects in the Denny's shooting are here illegally, but it is unclear whether 22-year-old Marvin Lopez-Aguilar and 25-year-old Francisco Melgar had previously been deported to El Salvador.

Ortiz and Lopez-Aguilar remained jailed at the MDC late Tuesday on no-bond holds.

They are charged with murder in the killing of Denny's cook Stephanie Anderson and more than 40 other felony counts.

Authorities were still searching for Melgar, who faces the same charges.
Police say Melgar and Ortiz are MS-13 gang members.

Melgar has twice been arrested on suspicion of DWI in Bernalillo County, court records show. In 2006, his charge was dismissed by prosecutors due to lack of discovery.

He was arrested again in February of 2009 and is due to appear on that charge before a Metropolitan Court judge on Thursday.

On both occasions, Melgar was released from the West Side jail on his own recognizance under court order, jail Capt. Heather Lough said. Officials could not determine Tuesday whether Melgar had immigration holds at the time of his two arrests, although Lough said it is unlikely.

"If he had had immigration holds, he would not have been released," she said.

A spokeswoman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement could not provide details of the three men's immigration status on Tuesday.

"They do have detainers because they are in the country illegally," ICE spokeswoman Leticia Zamarripa wrote in an e-mail response to Journal questions.

Zamarripa said the detainers were placed on Ortiz and Lopez-Aguilar after their arrests on Saturday.

Schultz said in the case of Ortiz's May 2008 arrest, the officer who pulled him over did not contact federal authorities because the officer did not believe his immigration status was pertinent to the DWI investigation.

He did not know the details of Melgar's arrests.

Determining when police officers should call federal immigration officers has been a hotly debated topic among elected officials, community leaders and the public.

Albuquerque police issued a policy for its officers, and then was forced to reissue it after complaints about what it meant.

The current policy reads: "Officers shall not inquire about or seek proof of a person's immigration status, unless the person is in custody or is a suspect in a criminal investigation for a nonimmigration criminal violation and the immigration status of the person or suspect is pertinent to the criminal investigation."

Moreover, ICE agents regularly check the immigration status of all those booked into the West Side jail, whether APD officers call them or not.

The chief reiterated that Albuquerque is not a "sanctuary city," as some critics have alleged. "This is an immigrant-friendly city. We work with all federal partners to keep the citizens of this city safe."

LINK (http://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/242222257325newsstate06-24-09.htm)

Snarky comment: Oooh, I bet we get secure borders now! :rolleyes: