PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day

armymom1228
06-20-2009, 23:34
Gentlemen, to all the father's to be, and those that are. May your day be filled with phone calls, hugs and much joy!

I am a cabbage patch kid, that is to say adopted. I was a tiny 6 month old girl child with no home, no name and no one who cared about me. My dad picked me out, gave me his name and made me 'daddy's lil girl'. I was and am so incredibly blessed to have that man is my dad.

He was one of those take your dtr to work guys.... he taught me to read and intpret maps. You guys teach your dtrs to shoot guns, mine taught me to pick out bombing targets. ;) He taught me to shoot too, but skeet and birds. To hunt, fish and bait a hook without that girl squeal he found so amusing.

He, MY dad was the biggest influence and probably more than he will ever admit, the reason my son chose the Army over the Air Force. He would be so proud of T right now, and, delighted with his great grandkids. Kay would have him wrapped around her pinkie for sure.

Dad believe that a person should be promoted based on merit, not who you know. He led by example and always looked out for the men under him. He taught me to never ask someone to do something, no matter how dirty or nasty, that you yourself was not willing to do.

His favorite line to all of us was, and it was the bottom line.. no arguements after that.. "he who pays the bills makes the rules."

There are two stories about my dad that when remembered leave me all smiles..

Back in 1941 right after mom and dad were married a yr. They lived at Fort Benning. Mom went home to Mobile for a week to visit her parents and siblings. When she got back the house was a wreck, as she tells the story. There were NO clean dishes and so on. My dad grew up with servants, he had never ironed a shirt until he went into the Navy pilot program.... So mom had a hissy fit and fell in it. She informed Daddy that IF she ever came back to HER house being a pigsty again, HE would be finding himself a new wife. To the day he died, when mom was gone. He had one plate, bowl and set of silverware.. the day she was due back he would rush around madly vacumning and cleaning. Watching him clean and wash dishes was too funny for words..

The other story invovled my son. Dad and Mom had a truly traditional southern marriage..Dad worked, Mom stayed home ... toddlers and diapers were NOT the venue of the male.. that was simply unheard off. In 1984 I had moved home from Colorado. I don't remember now why, Mom and I needed to go somewhere but we did. . Dad offered to watch T while were were gone .. it was to be something like an hr or so as I recall. Mom looked at Dad like he had grown a third eye and sprouted horns. Dad calmly reminded her that if his son could watch his kids, he (meaning my dad) could learn a new trick or two. So we go and come back. T was in his grandad's lap getting a book read to him. I picked him and the diaper fell clean off him.. Dad muttered something about it being his first diaper to give me a break. AS he told me and mom.
The toddler pooped in his diaper and it sorta overflowed onto dad. So he figured he had better clean up the mess or get into trouble with the General aka Mom. He took the kid and turned him like a football butt first under the kitchen sink and washed him off then put a diaper on him.. not realizing you had to make it tight.. it was his first after all.. Mom was aghast,I was in hysterical laughter. I thought it was way cool. Dad was, at the time 68.

The last thing he said to me the night before he died..."I am so glad I decided to take you for my daughter." It says it all... I miss him and his wisdom a lot. I was so blessed to have him for 45 yrs in my life..

To all you dads...enjoy your children.. one day they are tiny babies, the next they meet you at the door with a cigarette and a martini saying ..hey dad how's it hangin'? :D

HAPPY FATHERS DAY...

armymom1228
06-20-2009, 23:42
DAD SAYS...

Don't ask me, ask your mother.

Were you raised in a barn? Close the door.

You didn't beat me. I let you win.

Big boys don't cry.

Don't worry. It's only blood.

Don't you know any normal boys?

Now you listen to ME, Buster!

I'll play catch after I read the paper.

Coffee will stunt your growth.

A little dirt never hurt anyone--just wipe it off..

Get your elbows off the table.

I told you, keep your eye on the ball.

Who said life was supposed to be fair?

The fair's in October.

Always say please and thank you.
That way, you get more.

If you forget,
you'll be grounded till the end of the world.

You call that a haircut?

"Hey" is for horses.

This will hurt me a lot more than it hurts you.

Turn off those lights.
Do you think I am made of money?

Don't give me any of your lip, young lady.

You call that noise "music"?

We're not lost.
I'm just not sure where we are.

No, we're not there yet.

Shake it off. It's only pain.

When I was your age ,
I treated MY father with respect.

As long as you live under my roof,
you'll live by my rules.I'll tell you why. Because I said so. That's why.

Do what I say, not what I do.

Sit up straight, knucklehead!

So you think you're smart, do you?

What's so funny? Wipe that smile off your face.

Young ladies perspire, they do not sweat.

If I've told you once,
I've told you a thousand times

You want something to do?
I'll give you something to do.

You should visit more often.
Your mother worries.

This is your last warning.
I'm not sleeping, I was watching that channel.

What keeps those jeans of yours from falling off?

I'm not just talking to hear my own voice!

A little pain never hurt anybody.

I knew how to cook
when I was your age, young lady!

Don't take yourself so seriously,
take what you do seriously!

Laugh at yourself first,
you'll take the bite out of others doing so for you.

You're always a winner if you lose with a smile.

Go tell your mother she wants you.

Any fights, I win!

That's the best way I know to put out an eye!

You could drive a wooden man nuts!

In MY day......

Eat it! It will grow hair on your chest!

Don't forget to check your oil.

Four things come not back:
time past, the spoken word,
the sped arrow and a missed opportunity.

You can want in one hand and spit in the other
and see which one fills up first.

If your friend jumped off a bridge would you?

If I didn't love you so much I wouldn't punish you...
I would let you do whatever you wanted.

Stop crying or I'll give you a reason to cry.

You have things so easy!

When I was your age
I had to walk to school in 10 feet of snow
up hill both ways!

You're only young once.

You're gonna like it, whether you like it or not!

The early bird gets the worm. Rise and shine!

Don't take any wooden nickels!

Life is a journey
and you've just reached
one of many speed bumps to come.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice!

How many times
do I have to pound that into your head?

I'm not lost, it's just over the next hill!

If you want to do something,
do it because you want to.
Don't do it because someone else did.

As long as you tried your hardest,
that's all that matters.What do you think this is, your birthday?

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts
then we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Don't believe anything you hear
and only half of what you see.

What do you think I am, a bank?
What part of NO don't you understand?

I don't care what other people are doing!
I'm not everybody elses father!

You're not leaving my house dressed like that!
What will other parents think?

Could those sleeves be any longer?

You look like a bag lady!

Headache remedy:
Put your head through the window
and the pain will be gone.

Worrying about things you can't change
is like a rocking chair...
it gives you something to do,
but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Hurt much? I didn't feel a thing.

I feel for you, but I can't reach you from here.

If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Didn't your teacher learn you anything?!

You can marry a rich guy just as easily
as you can a poor guy.

It's hard to be good, and easy to be bad.

If you're going to steal a car,
at least make it a Cadillac
(but don't call me asking for bail.)

I got my tongue wrapped around my eye-tooth
and couldn't see what I was saying.

Men are like buses.
Just wait on the corner
and another one will come along.

Don't tell on anybody
unless you tell on yourself first.

Hey, did you hear me talking to you?

. I'm not watching television. I'm resting my eyes.

Don't use that tone with me!

Am I talking to a brick wall?

If I catch you doing that one more time, I'll...

Act your age.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Wipe your feet!

Enough is enough!

Don't make me stop the car!

What did I just get finished telling you?

You know you're always
gonna to be Daddy's little girl...

The bold is, if I Have not heard the exact phrase, it is close enough. :D

LarryW
06-21-2009, 01:28
You did your pop proud. I'd bet you're as good a Mom as he was a Dad. Thanks for writing this tribute to him.

Gypsy
06-21-2009, 07:50
DAD SAYS...

You know you're always
gonna to be Daddy's little girl...

Good posts. I think my dad said most, if not all, of those pearls of wisdom over the years. :D The above...yeah, that was my favorite. But it was always "no matter how old you get, you'll always be my baby girl."

I miss him so much.

Happy Father's Day to all the Daddies, near and far!

swpa19
06-21-2009, 08:44
Its strange how many "fatherisms" stay with us and are passed on. My father came to this country alone when he was 8 years old. And started work in the coal mines at 13. He never had a formal education but, could speak 4 languages. His common sense never ceased to amaze me.

I could never understand how he knew what and when I was doing something wrong, until one day he explained it to me: "Remember boy, you didnt write the book. Youre just turnin the pages".

My father taught me to hunt, fish, patience, appreciation of the outdoors, and to never pre-judge another person.

spat dobre otec

SF_BHT
06-21-2009, 09:36
Very good post....;)

Saoirse
06-21-2009, 11:04
I would like to wish all the dads out there a....

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!

:)

Robb
06-21-2009, 11:19
Clarence "Chic" Rowland would say to me, "Son number two. I look at you and I don't know if I should shit or go blind." then would close by saying, "I taught everything you know, but not everything I know."

Red Flag 1
06-21-2009, 12:26
Very good post....;)

No question.....great post!

Have my granddaughter (see avitar) here for a week, last week with the kids at the beach......it's good to be the Grandpa!!

RF 1

armymom1228
06-21-2009, 13:06
No question.....great post!

Have my granddaughter (see avitar) here for a week, last week with the kids at the beach......it's good to be the Grandpa!!

RF 1

Here is mmy grnddtr at age three and last march at her 6th birthday.. My father would have absolutely adored her. Those two would have been partners in crime. I can see it now.

Yesterday Kayla called to tell me her mom was a 'mean mom' she would not let or help her make and 'apple pie' for her dad for fathers day. My-my, her mom, and I talked so we set up a conference call. Kay and I made the pie by phone with me talking her thru it. Her mother cut up the apples, then Kay got creative.. she tossed in grated carrot and currants and cut up jalapenos.. oh don't ask me.. it was her idea and she was adamant about it. There was also nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon. Her father, Ari, called me a bit ago to thank me for the pie and its surprise. He accused me of an 'evil MIL trick'>. no bud, that was your dtrs idea entirely. He said it was 'interesting and a bit warm'.. oh good lord how much did she use?

The things dad's go thru while thier dtrs learn to cook.... hahahaha!

greenberetTFS
06-21-2009, 14:32
Here is mmy grnddtr at age three and last march at her 6th birthday.. My father would have absolutely adored her. Those two would have been partners in crime. I can see it now.

Yesterday Kayla called to tell me her mom was a 'mean mom' she would not let or help her make and 'apple pie' for her dad for fathers day. My-my, her mom, and I talked so we set up a conference call. Kay and I made the pie by phone with me talking her thru it. Her mother cut up the apples, then Kay got creative.. she tossed in grated carrot and currants and cut up jalapenos.. oh don't ask me.. it was her idea and she was adamant about it. There was also nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon. Her father, Ari, called me a bit ago to thank me for the pie and its surprise. He accused me of an 'evil MIL trick'>. no bud, that was your dtrs idea entirely. He said it was 'interesting and a bit warm'.. oh good lord how much did she use?

The things dad's go thru while thier dtrs learn to cook.... hahahaha!

Anne,

She's a very beautiful little girl and she's going to be a "heartbreaker" when she grows up.......:lifter
Jim was also right about being a grandpa,I just love to spoil my grand kids and "great" grand kids.......:D

Remember that song "Butterfly Kisses"? It always reminds me of my only daughter
and she really was a daddy's little girl........:)

Big Teddy