PDA

View Full Version : Samiches

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 19:20
Anybody else like salami and onion? I can't get rye bread down here.

What's your favorite samich?:D

edit to add - no buger recipes please. Grosses me out.:D

pulque
07-04-2004, 19:26
I like Reubens, but there is no decent rye bread around here either. Other than that, i'll put jalapenos, tabasco, and blue cheese dressing on a crusty bread with turkey.

edit to add - no buger recipes please. Grosses me out.:D [/B]

um. ew!

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 19:30
The Earl of Sandwich & the Sandwich
The word 'sandwich' for an item of food was possibly named after John Montagu who was the 4th Earl of Sandwich. It is said that in approx.1762, he asked for meat to be served between slices of bread, to avoid interrupting a gambling game.

Hereditary English titles can be confusing. The family of the Earls of Sandwich has no real connection to the town itself, only the title. The 1st Earl, Edward Montagu, originally intended to take the title of the Earl of Portsmouth - this may have been changed as a compliment to the town of Sandwich, because the fleet he was commanding in 1660 was lying off Sandwich, before it sailed to bring back Charles II to England.

It is generally thought here, that the word 'sandwich' as an item of food, has no connection with the town, only with John Montagu, who happened to have the title, a 'sandwich' could just as easily have been called a 'portsmouth' if the 1st Earl, Edward Montagu, had not changed his mind.

Sandwich for the name of the town is Saxon in origin and means, 'Sandy Place' or 'Place on the Sand'. The first recorded mention of the town was around 640 AD but it is older than that - there was probably some kind of settlement in Roman times, as it is very close to Richborough Roman Fort.

Close to Sandwich there is a small village called Ham (from the word hamlet - meaning small village)

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 19:31
Other than that, i'll put jalapenos, tabasco, and blue cheese dressing on a crusty bread with turkey.

DAMN! LOL - you need to get with Mr. Harsey, he grows peppers.

brewmonkey
07-04-2004, 19:33
Salami on Jewish Rye bread is always a favorite of mine. The onions need to be white onions and thinly sliced and then just a hint of yellow mustard.

One that I make for my son is a turkey melt. I use oven roasted turkey that is sliced medium thick. I set that in the pan and put the cheese on it to melt. Once the cheese has started to melt I throw it on some bread (he likes pumpernickle) and then use a press to toasr both sides of it. Simple, but in the winter it goes well with a nice hearty soup.

Kyobanim
07-04-2004, 19:41
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Anybody else like salami and onion? I can't get rye bread down here.

What's your favorite samich?:D

edit to add - no buger recipes please. Grosses me out.:D

Get yourself one of those bread machines and order rye mix online. Don't they have walmarts there yet? :D

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 19:43
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Get yourself one of those bread machines and order rye mix online. Don't they have walmarts there yet? :D

Exito, Spanish version of the store The People hate.

Man, there's a bakery on every corner, if I started makin' my own bread, I'd be PNG for sure.

pulque
07-04-2004, 19:48
DAMN! LOL - you need to get with Mr. Harsey, he grows peppers.

Now that is culture :)

One of my favorite parts of living in New Mexico those moons ago was the smell of the air in pepper roasting season. Mr Harsey, can you grow spicy ones in the NW?

Gypsy
07-04-2004, 19:50
Salami and onion on rye? Arghhhhhh!

Here's how I like mine, of course the "proper Italian way". Some nice crusty Italian bread, layer your thinly sliced Genoa Salami, hmm add a bit of proscuitto if desired, freshly sliced parmesan cheese, and a good helping of giardiniera peppers (homemade if you need a recipie let me know) and there you have it. Mongi!

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 19:55
Originally posted by Gypsy

MOOOOODDDDD!!!!

Gypsy
07-04-2004, 20:02
MOOOOODDDDD!!!!

Tattletale!

:D Ok fine, be a pagan salami/onion/rye samich maker.

Pandora
07-05-2004, 01:04
Real Italians eat panini!

Nice Panini roll, lightly brushed with olive oil, filled with sliced grilled chicken breast, roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes (in oil), onion and goat cheese. Smush and grill with a brick on top or on an indoor grill with a heavy lid (GF type).

Prosciutto on bread? Sacrilege! :D

Kyobanim
07-05-2004, 05:49
Finely sliced onyohn and pistrami(sp) heated in the skillet with provalone cheese. Next thick, sourdough bread, lightly toasted in the skillet with butter. Combiune in samich mode with mustard as the condiment.

Exito, Spanish version of the store The People hate. Now why woud they hate the store that brings them craptastic things?

Huey14
07-05-2004, 05:54
Peanut butter and corn chips is nice. Salt and Vinegar chips, too.

Sacamuelas
07-05-2004, 07:22
Originally posted by pulque
Mr Harsey, can you grow spicy ones in the NW?

Come on now triple eww. Mr Bill won't find this thread unless you make it stand out. Let me help you out.

KNIFE ................................ FREE BEER

Yep, he'll be along shortly ma'am. LOL :p

lrd
07-05-2004, 08:20

One of my favorite parts of living in New Mexico those moons ago was the smell of the air in pepper roasting season. Mr Harsey, can you grow spicy ones in the NW? Until Mr. Harsey comes along...here's a website that I like to use for pepper info: http://www.chileplants.com/ :)

Gypsy
07-05-2004, 09:05
Originally posted by Pandora
Prosciutto on bread? Sacrilege! :D

Actually I prefer mine plain or with melon. ;)

lrd
07-05-2004, 10:02
My top three:

Toasted sharp cheddar and ripe tomatoes on rosemary bread.

Pimento cheese and tomatoes on whatever's handy.

Bananas and mayo on toast.

pulque
07-05-2004, 11:37
bread machines

hand-kneading makes a superior loaf, if you dont mind a little PT.

The recipe I found online for jewish rye indicates that it is made from sourdough base. additionally, some pieces of old rye bread are called for to make the new bread.

brewmonkey
07-05-2004, 12:39

Here's how I like mine, of course the "proper Italian way". Some nice crusty Italian bread, layer your thinly sliced Genoa Salami, hmm add a bit of proscuitto if desired, freshly sliced parmesan cheese, and a good helping of giardiniera peppers (homemade if you need a recipie let me know) and there you have it. Mongi!

Procuitto is awesome wrapped around some really sweet cantaloupe.

As for the Salami and onion on rye, it is DAMNED GOOD!

Gypsy
07-05-2004, 13:52
Originally posted by brewmonkey
Procuitto is awesome wrapped around some really sweet cantaloupe.

As for the Salami and onion on rye, it is DAMNED GOOD!

Yes I do too, as I noted above. Melon/cantaloupe...the orange one.

Ok ok! But does it beat our peanut butter and fried egg samich? Ha!

brewmonkey
07-05-2004, 14:13
Yes I do too, as I noted above. Melon/cantaloupe...the orange one.

Ok ok! But does it beat our peanut butter and fried egg samich? Ha!

Cantaloupe is the orange one. I prefer it as it is much sweeter then some of the others melons like honeydew around this area.

Peanut butter & fried eggs are awesome, but if you remember I prefer mine to have a slice of American cheese and a dollop of ketchup. :D

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 14:23
Peanut butter & fried eggs are awesome, but if you remember I prefer mine to have a slice of American cheese and a dollop of ketchup. :D

Ketchup on eggs?

I move to impeach this impersonator!!

TR

BMT (RIP)
07-05-2004, 14:48
What ever happened to just a good ole Peanut Butter and Jelly??
:munchin

BMT
Jr. FOG

brewmonkey
07-05-2004, 14:51
Originally posted by BMT
What ever happened to just a good ole Peanut Butter and Jelly??
:munchin

BMT
Jr. FOG

Skippy super chunk and jelly. It is a staple in this house as we have an 11 year old who must have his daily fix.

BMT (RIP)
07-05-2004, 14:56
195th AHC had a doorgunner who would volunteer to fly for the 10 school at LT. REASON!! The mess hall had crunchy peanut butter.

BMT
Jr. FOG

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 14:57
They make a great Lobster Club at The Farm on Beverly.

Still partial to Corned Beef on Rye with mustard.

Also like Turkey Club on toasted wheat, no cheese.

Reubens also are good.

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 14:58

One of my favorite parts of living in New Mexico those moons ago was the smell of the air in pepper roasting season. Mr Harsey, can you grow spicy ones in the NW? YES! Depending on how the season starts, cool evenings in early summer can hurt the chiles. We build a cloche, greenhouse that's about 3 ft. high. The key is to get the plastic pulled off before the sun gets warm, before 8 am in the morning or you'll heat stress the plants. The reason the cloche is needed is that if the night temp drops below 55 degrees F, the hot climate chiles will drop the blossoms and not set fruit. Since we are within 60 miles of the Pacific ocean, we can get cool marine air in overnight at the wrong time of growing season. The chiles we grow that need this little extra care are the habenero and Scotch Bonnets which are part of the Capsicum chinese family (no Google involved here). We grow the orange habeneros common to the Yucatan and Belize and Red Savina's which have the highest recorded heat of this group. The Scotch Bonnets are from Jamaica. These are the chiles responsible for the heat in the famous Jamaican jerk recipes. We have in the past had great luck with several of the NuMex chiles, Big Jims, Joe Parkers and others. These are wonderful fresh roasting chiles. Some of the pods approach a foot long. We are also growing Serranos this year. These are great for fresh slasas.

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 15:03
When my wife gets back I'll ask her for the recipe for the sauce she makes using 30 habeneros to the quart. It's called "Death Wish" and is really good in controlled amounts. Think about the careful and disciplined application of explosives...same deal with this.

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 15:04
OMG, I forgot:

Philly Cheese Steak.

With mushrooms, onions, peppers and provolone at Pat's or Jim's

Gypsy
07-05-2004, 15:05

Yeah I remember, blechhhhh those last two ingredients give me a headache thinking about them. :p

I hope you don't use Heinz ketchup.

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 15:08
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Come on now triple eww. Mr Bill won't find this thread unless you make it stand out. Let me help you out.

KNIFE ................................ FREE BEER

Yep, he'll be along shortly ma'am. LOL :p HEY! I saw that clear out in the shop and the computer wasn't even on!

brewmonkey
07-05-2004, 15:17
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
YES! Depending on how the season starts, cool evenings in early summer can hurt the chiles. We build a cloche, greenhouse that's about 3 ft. high. The key is to get the plastic pulled off before the sun gets warm, before 8 am in the morning or you'll heat stress the plants. The reason the cloche is needed is that if the night temp drops below 55 degrees F, the hot climate chiles will drop the blossoms and not set fruit. Since we are within 60 miles of the Pacific ocean, we can get cool marine air in overnight at the wrong time of growing season. The chiles we grow that need this little extra care are the habenero and Scotch Bonnets which are part of the Capsicum chinese family (no Google involved here). We grow the orange habeneros common to the Yucatan and Belize and Red Savina's which have the highest recorded heat of this group. The Scotch Bonnets are from Jamaica. These are the chiles responsible for the heat in the famous Jamaican jerk recipes. We have in the past had great luck with several of the NuMex chiles, Big Jims, Joe Parkers and others. These are wonderful fresh roasting chiles. Some of the pods approach a foot long. We are also growing Serranos this year. These are great for fresh slasas.

This year is my first attempt at growing my own peppers. I also love to make some sauces but usually buy my peppers from Whole Foods in KC.

I have some jalapenos, Scotch bonnets, serranos and poblanos going. I am keeping them in the house for know as the weather here is iffy this time of the year. I have them in a warm room with some grow lights and they seem to be starting out well. I am looking forward to moving them and getting my first peppers. Now that I know you grow them, I am sure I will have some questions as time goes on.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 15:24
I have them in a warm room with some grow lights and they seem to be starting out well. I am looking forward to moving them and getting my first peppers. Now that I know you grow them, I am sure I will have some questions as time goes on.

You are in a KC suburb in a house with a "hot" thermal signature and "grow lights" for your pepper plants. Did you cover the windows as well?

Have you met (and made friends with) the local constabulary yet?:D

TR

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 15:30
Something I've learned about growing chiles, Fertilizer is good but be careful and don't use too much nitrogen. This can make for a robust tall leafy plant and no chiles. Sounds like your starting out right! The habeneros can be grown year around if you keep them in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with good drain holes. remember tha any plant in a bucket heats up and loses water faster than a plant in the ground. Advantage is you can bring the bucket in when the weather starts to turn in the fall and if the plant doesn't get cold, you have a great start on next year. The habs have a very long grow season, it takes forever (it seems) to get those guys ripe.

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 15:35
Originally posted by The Reaper
You are in a KC suburb in a house with a "hot" thermal signature and "grow lights" for your pepper plants. Did you cover the windows as well?

TR Around here, I brought two sherrif deputies into the garden and showed them what we are growing. I then stated that if anyone has any doubts, come in during daylight hours, OPEN THE DAMNED GARDEN GATE AND LOOK! I didn't want any of that high risk warrant being served at 4:30 am to look at chile peppers crap. I have since been informed that if for any reason I might need arresting, the entire SWAT Team will be involved. I knew they loved me!

NousDefionsDoc
07-05-2004, 15:50
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
They make a great Lobster Club at The Farm on Beverly.

Still partial to Corned Beef on Rye with mustard.

Also like Turkey Club on toasted wheat, no cheese.

Reubens also are good.

RL, you're sig line makes me sound like an insensitive ass -

I really like it.:D

brewmonkey
07-05-2004, 15:56

TR

:D

There aren't any windows in the room. It is the utility room where the hot water heater and blower for the furnace are located.

Yes, I have met our local leo's. When I was in the brewery they loved to stop me as I was leaving work.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 16:01
:D

There aren't any windows in the room. It is the utility room where the hot water heater and blower for the furnace are located.

Yes, I have met our local leo's. When I was in the brewery they loved to stop me as I was leaving work.

Oh ho! Tradecraft!

Did you carry free samples or coupons for those occasions, or just Daylight Doughnuts?

TR

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 16:40
When I was logging, any sandwich that was in the lunchbox was my favorite! Warm processed meat and mayo! Hot peanut butter and jelly was a treat too. Never did understand why everyone was worried about warm mayonaise, it tastes great after sitting in a sun heated lunchbox for half the day. We had to use good lunchboxes that had a latch we could put a wire in so the ravens couldn't roll them down the hill until they opened. (true story too!) Now for an extra good sandwich, I love to grill some left over beef with thin sliced habeneros and onion and put it in any bread.

brewmonkey
07-05-2004, 17:37
When I was logging, any sandwich that was in the lunchbox was my favorite! Warm processed meat and mayo! Hot peanut butter and jelly was a treat too. Never did understand why everyone was worried about warm mayonaise, it tastes great after sitting in a sun heated lunchbox for half the day. We had to use good lunchboxes that had a latch we could put a wire in so the ravens couldn't roll them down the hill until they opened. (true story too!) Now for an extra good sandwich, I love to grill some left over beef with thin sliced habeneros and onion and put it in any bread.

I have seent those birds. We had them at Fort Irwin and we called them MRE Brids. They would swoop down and grab the whole MRE and fly away with it.

Denny
07-05-2004, 19:07
ham and cheese on toasted white........ or white bread with thin slices of supersod. I am a simple man ...... lol

Kyobanim
07-05-2004, 19:30
I have seent those birds. We had them at Fort Irwin and we called them MRE Brids. They would swoop down and grab the whole MRE and fly away with it.

LMAO! That had to be some funny shit to see!

brewmonkey
07-05-2004, 19:36
LMAO! That had to be some funny shit to see!

When we would pull lager guard we had a neat little trick for them. We would attach a few hoffmans to some commo wire, put them inside an MRE bad and then spread the MRE across the top of the bag. When the birds would come in to eat we would crank the phone and BOOM!

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 19:52
RL, you're sig line makes me sound like an insensitive ass -

I really like it.:D

LOL -- your words, not mine!

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 20:13
When we would pull lager guard we had a neat little trick for them.

You have been a brewmaster too long.

You were guarding lager, or a laager?

Great story, though.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 20:16
When we would pull lager guard we had a neat little trick for them. We would attach a few hoffmans to some commo wire, put them inside an MRE bad and then spread the MRE across the top of the bag. When the birds would come in to eat we would crank the phone and BOOM!

Hmm, sounds like a good campaign sign device. LOL J/K! :D

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 20:22
I like a sandwich called a "Rachel."

Rye bread
Turkey
Cole slaw
Swiss

Grilled

Pandora
07-05-2004, 21:02
RL,

What goes in a lobster club? mmmm

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2004, 21:07
Originally posted by Pandora
RL,

What goes in a lobster club? mmmm

Lobster, thick applewood-smoked bacon, herbed mayo, arugula

Air.177
07-05-2004, 21:53
I enjoy a good cheese steak, or a muffaletta. Mexican Tortas are fairly easy to come by around here and generally pretty good. I recently concocted a new (to me) spread consisting of:Cream cheese, capers, thin sliced red onions, Horseradish, and fresh cracked black pepper. This spread goes really well on toasted wheat bread with Roast beef and swiss, or on a bagel with smoked salmon and more red onions.

Good stuff

brewmonkey
07-06-2004, 08:05
You have been a brewmaster too long.

You were guarding lager, or a laager?

Great story, though.

TR

D'oh!

pulque
07-06-2004, 10:31
"Death Wish"

WOO! let the hurting begin

Bravo1-3
07-06-2004, 13:14
Hebrew National brand Salami on Rye with White American Cheese and New York deli mustard. The ultimate sammich!

I found a local bakery that makes a soft black bread that is awesome for Reubens. I just finished one about 20 minutes ago.

I'm not a big fan of cold cut style Turkey, but seeing as we don't have much in the way of wild turkeys here in Washington State, I take what I can get. I got spoiled in Michigan with all the wild turkeys (we had wild turkeys and deer upthere like Frisco has fags). I'd shoot one in the back yard every 2-3 weeks and roast em up, or marinate it in a mix of burboun, water, butter, and maple and put it in the smoker for a few days.

It's awesome on Rye bread with mayo. If you can find some Jalepeno or habenero cheese, mo betta.

The same goes for wild pig. There is nothing in the world so good as slow cooked wild pig (laced with coconut milk) with a honey mustard bbq sauce or a vinegar based sauce, served on a large kaiser roll.

We don't have any wild pigs up here... I'm gonna blast one of the escpaed Alpacapaca we have running around out here and see if I can't come up with a way to make it taste good. :D

Razor
07-06-2004, 15:16
Lobster, thick applewood-smoked bacon, herbed mayo, arugula

Blasphemer! The only sandwich worthy of containing lobster (BTW, its pronounced 'lop-stuh' by those that should know) is a lobster roll, which is made with a lightly toasted hot dog bun (top split variety only; all others are devil's spawn), lined with a few leaves of iceburg lettuce (keep your froo-froo arugula crap away from this masterpiece), and filled with walnut-sized chunks of lobster claw and tail meat mixed with a little mayo, with freshly cracked black pepper sprinkled on top.

Roguish Lawyer
07-06-2004, 15:34
Originally posted by Razor
Blasphemer! The only sandwich worthy of containing lobster (BTW, its pronounced 'lop-stuh' by those that should know) is a lobster roll, which is made with a lightly toasted hot dog bun (top split variety only; all others are devil's spawn), lined with a few leaves of iceburg lettuce (keep your froo-froo arugula crap away from this masterpiece), and filled with walnut-sized chunks of lobster claw and tail meat mixed with a little mayo, with freshly cracked black pepper sprinkled on top.

Don't knock it til ya try it!

What are you, a yankee?

Ghostrider
07-10-2004, 12:15
Looking at this list I realize I really enjoy food!

"Cubans", roast pork, ham, cheese, and pickle in a good crusty roll then "press-grilled"

Cheese wit (for Philly cheesesteak lovers....you know what this means)

Monte Cristos

Lox/cream cheese/onion on a bagel

Sardines and onions on a buttered Italian roll w/mustard

A James Cagney from a place here in Phoenix called Scott's Generations.....braised brisket, grilled onions, swiss cheese piled high on a roll.

AND I cannot believe, 4 pages of sandwiches and not one mention of a SPAM sandwich.....fried SPAM, on toasted white bread, mayo, slice of onion and tomato.......:munchin

brewmonkey
07-10-2004, 12:57
I figured NDD would get to the SPAM so I left it alone. I hear it is a big seller at the McD's in Hawaii.

Air.177
07-10-2004, 13:25
I know that the Mcd's in Hawaii have a breakfast plate called Portugese Sausage & Eggs that is Bueno with a large Cup of Fresh Kona Coffee.

myclearcreek
07-10-2004, 16:39
Originally posted by Ghostrider
AND I cannot believe, 4 pages of sandwiches and not one mention of a SPAM sandwich.....fried SPAM, on toasted white bread, mayo, slice of onion and tomato.......:munchin

NDD is SPAM Master, no doubt. However, I cannot believe you would deface a SPAM sandwich with onion and tomato. I am a SPAM purist. No veggies on the SPAM - just white bread and plain yellow mustard. This is the only way I eat it - anything else is just.....WRONG. :p In keeping with my healthier eating, I have a SPAM sandwich every year or so, whenever the craving strikes.

My favorite sandwich is one I had on vacation last summer. Too bad I cannot recall the taste of the sauce well enough to try and duplicate it. I suppose that means I have to go back to that restaurant in Cali and take notes, lol.

brewmonkey
07-10-2004, 16:57
You could always have spam, spam, spam and eggs. :D

myclearcreek
07-10-2004, 17:07
You could always have spam, spam, spam and eggs. :D

Moi? No, no, no. Do not try and distract me from my purist ways. :lifter

Ghostrider
07-10-2004, 19:23
Originally posted by myclearcreek
However, I cannot believe you would deface a SPAM sandwich with onion and tomato. I am a SPAM purist. No veggies on the SPAM - just white bread and plain yellow mustard.

Actually Household 6 is the one who puts the veggies on the sandwich.....personally it's spam, cheese, and mayo for me....come to think of it if you look at the other sandwiches I listed other than onions....there's not a veggie in sight! LOL:D

brownapple
07-10-2004, 20:14
Favorite?

Roast beef (rare) and swiss cheese on a bagel with a bit of mayo on the roast beef side and heated just enough for the cheese to melt...

Bill Harsey
07-10-2004, 21:53
Originally posted by Greenhat
Favorite?

Roast beef (rare) and swiss cheese on a bagel with a bit of mayo on the roast beef side and heated just enough for the cheese to melt... Now that sounds good. Can you get these foods at your location?

magician
07-11-2004, 12:35
Bill, he just bought all those ingredients yesterday at Villa, downtown in Bangkok off the main drag, Sukhumvit Road. It was a pretty darned comprehensive grocery store. Packed with shoppers. I bought pork bellies to wrap in fresh tortillas with crisp romain and tomato, and this special, secret Japanese Mayonnaise that Joe Duffy turned me onto.

I also picked up some fresh shrimp for salads, some little fish for my cat, and some Thai avocados. I am waiting for them to ripen. I hope that they are good. Real avocados cost 99 baht at Foodland around the corner on Sirinakarin Road. At an exchange rate of 40 baht to the dollar, that is pretty much $2.25 for a single fruit. The Thai avocados I scored at Villa were 38 baht each. Big, fat, nice ones. Just waiting for them to start getting soft.

I lived outside Philly for years, so I was schooled on what was a good sandwich.

The best Gourmet Italian, bar none, is made by a place called Cavazinni's in a shopping center called People's Plaza, in Wilmington, DE. It is just off Kirkwood Highway, around the corner from Staple's.

They put fresh Italian meats, about five pounds worth (no shit), in fresh Italian bread, with chilled tomatoes and lettuce. Get it with their virgin olive oil. Great virgin olive oil. Perfect freakin' Italian cheeses, too. Just let them make it the way they know. You will love it.

This puts me in a mood to remember the antipasto at Mrs. Robino's, too. Mrs. Robino's is where the locals go to eat great Italian food. It is a crappy little place on Union street in Wilmington, across from the WSFS Bank, a block away from the fire station. They mix up nice fat Spanish olives with the Italian meats, a touch of cheese, and the typical fresh tomato and lettuce. They use iceberg lettuce, real crisp. Then they mince up the whole thing, fine, medium, or chunky, to your preference. You sprinkle olive oil and vinegar on it, grace it with ground pepper, and man, you are living. You eat it with fresh Italian bread and butter, to soak up all the oil off your plate.

Then you transition to the best damned spaghetti sauce in the world, with the exception of the sauce made by Defiamos' sister. Her sauce is the shit. But when you cannot wrangle an invite to her house, or she does not have some made, then you go to Mrs. Robino's.

These folks know the secret ingredient to great spaghetti sauce: pork bones. Get them from the butcher, then brown them with a little oil and garlic in a pan, then throw them into the sauce while it cooks on the stove. It thickens that sauce up real nice, makes it real rich.

The only place to get a cheesesteak in Philly these days is at Jim's. Pat's has really gone downhill, IMO.

When I passed through Hawaii, me and Joe K, Missus Joe K, and Stephanie went to this Hawaiian burger joint that stuck fresh avocado on your burger. It was amazingly good.

When I get feeling carnivorous here, I get ground round from Foodland, and make Monster Burgers. I mix in fresh onion, use about a half pound, easy, of ground round per patty, then cook it on a skillet with a lid over the patty. It comes out nicely cooked, medium rare, real juicy and moist. Minimal fat. Almost none, in fact, which is why you need to mix onion into the patty. There is barely enough grease from the ground round to cook the patty without greasing your pan. You do not need to do much to a great burger like this. Just melt some cheeses, plural, on it, slice some fresh tomatoes and lettuce, then garnish with mayo, ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Yum.

You guys should not get me started.

:)

The Reaper
07-11-2004, 12:43
Best pizza I ever had was from Magoo's ("No huhu, call Magoo's"), in Hawaii.

Last time I was there, the chain had dropped to just a couple of stores, but their Portugese Sausage and pineapple was stone killer.

TR

Bill Harsey
07-11-2004, 12:46
Magician, AMAZING!!! To make you feel better about the avocados, here in Oregon the good ones run a buck per fruit. Avocado poaching is now a problem in California. Best we can do is the small ones sometimes at three for a dollar at the top of the season. I'm going to talk my wife into making some good antipasta.

magician
07-11-2004, 12:59
brother, not to hijack the thread, but where do you live in Oregon?

Have you heard of a little town called Josepy? I have tried looking for it on the net, but no dice. I was turned on to it by a guy named Tim, former CAG guy, that worked with me at BIAP. He lived there. Said it was a secret little mountain town, with a great Mexican restaurant. He said they need a good diner there, with good hearty soups and sandwiches. Got me thinking. One thing I learned about in Philly, is how to make good darned soups, stews, and sandwiches.

I love Thailand, but I miss snow and mountains and wind in the pines. Finances permitting, I want to find a cabin somewhere remote in Oregon. Josepy sounded just like the ticket. I figure a lifestyle where I live on a beach in Thailand part of the year, and then live in a cabin in Oregon.....that would do it.

The Reaper
07-11-2004, 13:10
Sounds like Joseph, Oregon to me.

Could it be that the name is slightly different?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-11-2004, 13:15
Originally posted by magician
The only place to get a cheesesteak in Philly these days is at Jim's. Pat's has really gone downhill, IMO.

There is another place that's pretty good off the Main Line near one of the schools; I want to say St. Joe's. Can't remember the name, but I've been there about 5x.

Last time I was in Philly, we didn't have time to get to a real cheese steak place, but the room service guy convinced us that the hotel's cheese steak had won some Best in Philly contest the prior year. So we tried it. And it wasn't bad. It was a little dry and didn't have the gooey bread, but it was quite good.

There is a place in West LA called Philly West where you can get decent cheese steaks, hoagies, etc. The owner moved from Philly and imports everything from there. Eagles games every Sunday, plus other Philly teams constantly on TV there. It's on Westwood just south of Santa Monica.

I have a client in Wilmington and get there once in a while. Do you know if this Italian place is still open? The city has changed so much . . .

brewmonkey
07-11-2004, 13:34
There is a place in KC MO that has some awesome NY style subs. It is called Da' Bronx and is run by a family that is transplanted. Across the street is a little hole in the wall bar where you can bring your sub and have a pint and watch the game. Reminds me a lot of growing up on the Island.

Da Bronx was featured on Food Finds which is a FoodTv production. Saw that and had try it. IT was worth the trip. The place is down off of Rainbow and 39th by KU Medical center.

myclearcreek
07-11-2004, 15:17
Originally posted by Ghostrider
Actually Household 6 is the one who puts the veggies on the sandwich.....personally it's spam, cheese, and mayo for me....come to think of it if you look at the other sandwiches I listed other than onions....there's not a veggie in sight! LOL:D

Salad on the side with my SPAM sandwich. I think you and I grew up at the same sort of table.

Bravo1-3
07-11-2004, 16:43

Have you heard of a little town called Josepy?

http://www.josephoregon.com/

closest I could find

magician
07-12-2004, 04:11
I have a client in Wilmington and get there once in a while. Do you know if this Italian place is still open? The city has changed so much . . .

Mrs Robinos will NEVER close, brother.

People actually call ahead, and order sauce. They come in with a big pot, and get a pot full of sauce from the place.

Keep in mind that this is a blue collar joint, not fancy. You can wear whatever you want, though. No one judges there. It is larger than it used to be, so it can accommodate a large crowd, but definitely call ahead and make a reservation. When you walk in, do not stand in line in front of the bar. Wedge your way up to the podium, and tell whoever is there your name. You will be seated MUCH more quickly. I do not know about you, but I hate waiting in lines. It is a great spot for lunch, too.

Be careful, though. Going to Mrs. Robinos marks you as a local. Only locals know about it. If you take people there, just tell them that you heard that it has the best Italian food in the city. It is not hoity-toity Italian food. It is blue collar. It fucking rocks.

To get there, just take Pennsylvania Ave West until you see the Saab dealership on your right. Then get in your left hand lane. If you go under the railway overpass, you have gone too far. Take a left on Union street. It is a small place, with a small sign. It is on the left hand side of the street. If you pass the fire station, you have gone too far. If you end up curving right over the bridge into Elsemere, you have gone way too far. Just flip a u-turn, go back over the bridge, take Lincoln street back to Pennsylvania, and retrace your steps.

Drink a beer for me while you are there! I miss it!

s.
-

magician
07-12-2004, 04:30
Originally posted by Bravo1-3
http://www.josephoregon.com/

closest I could find

I found that, too, in the course of an internet search.

Not it.

It is a small town called Josepy, and it is somewhere in Oregon. No way to find it, I guess, except go there and start driving around, asking people.

I could try and find Tim, too, I guess. Sure wish I could remember his last name.

Thanks for trying.

Bill Harsey
07-12-2004, 08:24

Have you heard of a little town called Josepy? I have tried looking for it on the net, but no dice. I was turned on to it by a guy named Tim, former CAG guy, that worked with me at BIAP. He lived there. Said it was a secret little mountain town, with a great Mexican restaurant. He said they need a good diner there, with good hearty soups and sandwiches. Got me thinking. One thing I learned about in Philly, is how to make good darned soups, stews, and sandwiches.

I love Thailand, but I miss snow and mountains and wind in the pines. Finances permitting, I want to find a cabin somewhere remote in Oregon. Josepy sounded just like the ticket. I figure a lifestyle where I live on a beach in Thailand part of the year, and then live in a cabin in Oregon.....that would do it.

:) Magician, I'm about 10 miles south of Eugene, that would be 120 miles south of Portland. This morning I can see all Three Sisters mountains (9000 to 10,000 footers, with white glaciers) over near Bend, this would be looking east over the Cascades. I grew up 19 air miles west of the top of Mt. Hood. The town you ask about does sound like Joseph, it's in the far North eastern corner of Oregon in the Wallowa mountains. On your map try 45 degrees 21 minutes latitude and 117 degrees 14 minutes longitude. That should at least get you on the outskirts of Joseph. This is near the Eagle Cap Wilderness which is sometimes called "the Alps of Oregon". This is remote country.

Bill Harsey
07-12-2004, 08:36
oh yeah, we can hijack threads here, then the Team Sergeant says no and we have to re-focus. Re-focusing now! Speaking of samiches, we have a pile of laying chickens here and they run free. The eggs are so much better than store bought and I was holding out on you guys, probably my favorite work samiche is the simple egg and mayo, sometimes with mustard and onion mixed in. When the habeneros are ripe, then fine sliced habenero slivers go in too, but not too many because I still have to work and can't start drinking beer to kill the pain. Problem with too fresh an egg is that they are hard to peel after boiling. Have to use the eggs way in the back of the fridge or out of the nest in the brush someone just finally found.

brewmonkey
07-12-2004, 08:48
Mt. Hood! Some of the best hops in the world are grown on Mt. Hood and in the Willamette and Cascade Valleys! Of course there are also hops all through Yakima.

Bill Harsey
07-12-2004, 08:52
Mt. Hood! Some of the best hops in the world are grown on Mt. Hood and in the Willamette and Cascade Valleys! Of course there are also hops all through Yakima. YES SIR! You are correct. We even have an Oregon Hop Commission here.

brewmonkey
07-12-2004, 09:10
YES SIR! You are correct. We even have an Oregon Hop Commission here.

I loved my last trip to Oregon. We hit Portland for the craft brewers conference and I am dying to get back to the area for a nice vacation of pubcrawling.

In keeping with the thread, I did have a few good samiches while I was there. Only problem is since I was at a brewers conference I have no clue where the hell I was when I had them.

Bill Harsey
07-12-2004, 13:20
...Only problem is since I was at a brewers conference I have no clue where the hell I was when I had them. Sir, in the old days I've had that happen in my home town.

Bill Harsey
07-12-2004, 13:23
I found that, too, in the course of an internet search.

Not it.

It is a small town called Josepy, and it is somewhere in Oregon. No way to find it, I guess, except go there and start driving around, asking people.

I could try and find Tim, too, I guess. Sure wish I could remember his last name.

Thanks for trying. Depending on which side of the family we go down, I'm either 4th or 6th generation Oregonian. This of course does not impress my Indian friends who've had family here slightly longer. I've never heard of the town you describe but will ask and look. Oregon has some seldom traveled trails to this day.

magician
07-13-2004, 01:01
thanks, brother.

I was looking at real estate prices around Wallowa, and they are HIGH.

Compare them to Northeastern Washington State....not favorable. But then, it is a lot colder up by the Canadian border.

I will have to dig around and see if I can find "Tim's" last name somewhere. The population figures he gave for "Josepy" were similar to those for Joseph, though. I remember he said that there were about a thousand people there.

Sounds about like the right population density to me. Remote is good.

brewmonkey
07-13-2004, 08:26
Small and called Josepy? You sure your not thinking about Josepy from the other place? :D:D:D

Bill Harsey
07-13-2004, 09:55
thanks, brother.

I was looking at real estate prices around Wallowa, and they are HIGH.

Compare them to Northeastern Washington State....not favorable. But then, it is a lot colder up by the Canadian border.

I will have to dig around and see if I can find "Tim's" last name somewhere. The population figures he gave for "Josepy" were similar to those for Joseph, though. I remember he said that there were about a thousand people there.

Sounds about like the right population density to me. Remote is good.

:) The difference between spelling "Josepy" and "Joseph" is one key north or south on the key board. Up in the Wallowa country is a lot of federal owned land and not much private. This is why private land sells for so much, there's not much of it compared to other places. Check out Prarie City, on the south end of the Wallowa Whitman National Forest, it looks out onto the Strawberry Mountains and may be the most beautiful setting for a small town in Oregon. I came thru there last summer returning from the Chris Reeve shop in Boise Idaho.

magician
07-14-2004, 05:11
Prarie City?

Excellent.

Thanks for the tip, brother.

-

x SF med
12-21-2006, 13:27
OK, I got hooked reading the Samiches part of this (thanks NDD) - and had to chime in with the samich you don't eat around the weak:

thick sliced heavy seeded Jewish rye liberally slathered with the hottest damn mustard* you can find, 6 thin or 3 thick slices of red onion (about 1/4 inch worth on the bread), and about a 1/4 lb of the best Braunschweiger (or liverwurst if that's all you can find). close sandwich and enjoy with a good mustard potato salad and a beer or ale that does the samich justice (my preference if I have any in the house after a trip to Asheville NC - St. Theresa Pale Ale, good hoppy bite with a mild malty undertone)

*Mr. Mustard or the Plochmann's Extra Hot are good prepared mustards or - 1 tbsp Coleman's dried mustard, 2 tbsp Golds grated horseradish but fresh is even better, 1/4 tsp white vinegar stir with enough water to take to the correct consistency - now that's a good mustard, and it'll clear your sinuses too.

edited to make the vinegar amount for the mustard right.

Pete
12-21-2006, 13:56
Second day fried liver and onions, straight out of the frig cold onto bread with yellow mustard. Yum Yum.

The hard part is getting the wife to go for the liver and onions the first day.

Pete

Who can only get liver when we go to K&W.

mugwump
12-21-2006, 15:55
OK, I got hooked reading the Samiches part of this (thanks NDD) - and had to chime in with the samich you don't eat around the weak:

thick sliced heavy seeded Jewish rye liberally slathered with the hottest damn mustard* you can find, 6 thin or 3 thick slices of red onion (about 1/4 inch worth on the bread), and about a 1/4 lb of the best Braunschweiger (or liverwurst if that's all you can find). close sandwich and enjoy with a good mustard potato salad and a beer or ale that does the samich justice (my preference if I have any in the house after a trip to Asheville NC - St. Theresa Pale Ale, good hoppy bite with a mild malty undertone)

*Mr. Mustard or the Plochmann's Extra Hot are good prepared mustards or - 1 tbsp Coleman's dried mustard, 2 tbsp Golds grated horseradish but fresh is even better, 1/tsp white vinegar stir with enough water to take to the correct consistency - now that's a good mustard, and it'll clear your sinuses too.

Oh, man, I gotta go with this one. Only thing I'd add is some nice, ripe, Belgian Limburger cheese. Leave the cheese on the counter for a coupla days until it gets nice and runny in the middle. Cut it in half and drizzle it over the Braunschweiger.

REMFlt
12-28-2006, 07:48
Primanti Brothers, pronounced permanee by any good Pittsburgher, makes an outstanding sandwhich that I intend to have as soon as I get back to Pittsburgh. Your choice of meat, anything from black angus to sardines to bologna, with cheese, all topped with french fries and cole slaw right on the sandwhich. That, along with some of Pittsburgh's own heinz ketchup and a beer is the perfect way to have dinner or lunch in the city.

bluebb
12-28-2006, 10:05
Thin sliced spam fried crispy
Shrap chedder cheese
Mayo
Pepper
Toasted bread(any kind)

Yeah baby

Blue

ello
12-28-2006, 10:53
grilled salami
w/ gouda cheese
franks hot sauce
mustard
some type of all grain bread (my mum is a health nut so its all we got now)

and a nice glass chocolate milk

dios mio!! que rico eso es!

i had some PB n J yesterday gotta love them classics, ya know?

-Oliver o Ello

letinsh
12-28-2006, 14:45
Peanut butter and bacon on white.
Toast the bread, apply peanut butter, then 'samich' as much hot, fresh out-of-the skillet bacon as you want. Bring plenty of napkins-this one is messy but oh-so-tasty :)

x SF med
12-28-2006, 15:57
Letinish-
you did not describe a samich, you described a heart attack waiting to happen.

Now, peanut butter and honey on whole wheat toast is great.

Or thinly sliced roast turkey, dijon mustard, horseradish, vidalia onion, crumbled roquefort cheese, romaine lettuce and sliced plum tomatoes, freshly cracked pepper, a little sea salt, a dash of dill on a crusty french roll, chased with a Trappist Weissebier and pommes frites mit mayonnaise - is a gastronomic treat.

Samiches don't have to be boring, or utterly gross, to be good - use some real imagination.

Pita bread, hummus, sliced lamb, greek onion, shredded lettuce, and a good greek dilled sour cream with a few (hundred) splashes of hot sauce. Not quite a gyro, but kinda.... This one should be chased with iced green tea, sweetened with honey and a twist each of lemon and lime, or bergamot if you can find it. make the flavors sing.

Peregrino
12-28-2006, 16:33
Letinish-

Now, peanut butter and honey on whole wheat toast is great.

Or thinly sliced roast turkey, dijon mustard, horseradish, vidalia onion, crumbled roquefort cheese, romaine lettuce and sliced plum tomatoes, freshly cracked pepper, a little sea salt, a dash of dill on a crusty french roll, chased with a Trappist Weissebier and pommes frites mit mayonnaise - is a gastronomic treat.

Samiches don't have to be boring, or utterly gross, to be good - use some real imagination.

Pita bread, hummus, sliced lamb, greek onion, shredded lettuce, and a good greek dilled sour cream with a few (hundred) splashes of hot sauce. Not quite a gyro, but kinda.... This one should be chased with iced green tea, sweetened with honey and a twist each of lemon and lime, or bergamot if you can find it. make the flavors sing.

If you feed your crew like that, I'll volunteer. I'm a bit large for the foredeck (that properly calls for bikini clad XXs anyway) but I can sheet, reef, and hold a course. (As long as the sandwich can be reduced to something that fits in one hand - and there's a bottle holder somewhere handy. :p ) Peregrino

The Reaper
12-28-2006, 16:43
Letinish-

....pommes frites mit mayonnaise - is a gastronomic treat....

Heart attack free french fries and mayonnaise? You mean the healthy ones?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
12-28-2006, 17:11
I'm a bit large for the foredeck (that properly calls for bikini clad XXs anyway) but I can sheet, reef, and hold a course.

You may want to edit that post unless you want x SF med inviting Chris Farley and Adam Sandler to dance to Van Halen . . . :eek:

Peregrino
12-28-2006, 17:42
You may want to edit that post unless you want x SF med inviting Chris Farley and Adam Sandler to dance to Van Halen . . . :eek:

Don't know what you're refering to. :p (Thanks, flashbacks to another member's posts - and her constant XX/XY commentary. Lack of ATD on my part.) Peregrino

x SF med
12-28-2006, 17:47

Counselor - have you gone off your meds again? I'll take young shapely bikini clad XXs, for $1000, Alex.

TR-
a small serving of pommes Frites mit mayonnaise as a side dish, to bring out the flavor of the samich is one thing - a meal of peanut butter and bacon grease is another, plus the good weissebier kills all of the bad fat, at least that's what I was led to believe in Germany.

Roguish Lawyer
12-29-2006, 09:30
Counselor - have you gone off your meds again? I'll take young shapely bikini clad XXs, for $1000, Alex.

Good to see you've got your brother's back. Well, either that or you didn't see the original post . . . ;)

Snaquebite
12-29-2006, 10:23
A good Bread
Fresh Garden tomato
Vidalia onion
Yellow onion
Mayo
Salt and pepper....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

x SF med
12-29-2006, 10:29
Good to see you've got your brother's back. Well, either that or you didn't see the original post . . . ;)

responses in order -ah, never mind - I got my brother's back, that's the key, now if I just had that pointy stick with the nail that NDD is hoarding, I might jab you with it. A lawyer Kabob, nobody would want that, to stay on the samiches track.

Oh, yeah - when are you back on the right coast - I owe you a beer.

Roguish Lawyer
12-29-2006, 12:01
Oh, yeah - when are you back on the right coast - I owe you a beer.

Will be in New Hampshire a lot in January for depositions. Schedule not set yet. Trial there in March. May have a depo in DC in January also.

x SF med
12-29-2006, 12:21
Will be in New Hampshire a lot in January for depositions. Schedule not set yet. Trial there in March. May have a depo in DC in January also.

January isn't going to be great for me buying you a beer, I'll be at SHOT (there's that pointy stick again) and since I am a finance guy, there is a lot of year end stuff.

Now where's your samich suggestion? And No, you can't use that left coast excuse for a crab sandwich with arrugala again, nor the Philly cheesesteak that's also store bought - a samich you would make at home, and possibly even serve to CatWoman or the little RoguishCatpeople...

Roguish Lawyer
12-29-2006, 13:35
Now where's your samich suggestion? And No, you can't use that left coast excuse for a crab sandwich with arrugala again, nor the Philly cheesesteak that's also store bought - a samich you would make at home, and possibly even serve to CatWoman or the little RoguishCatpeople...

Take one can white albacore tuna, drained. Mix well with a large spoonful of mayonnaise (I use Miracle Whip light), generous squirt of Jack Daniel's mustard and about 1/5 cup of bacon bits. Spread tuna mixture on toasted onion bagel and serve open-faced.

x SF med
12-29-2006, 14:42
Take one can white albacore tuna, drained. Mix well with a large spoonful of mayonnaise (I use Miracle Whip light), generous squirt of Jack Daniel's mustard and about 1/5 cup of bacon bits. Spread tuna mixture on toasted onion bagel and serve open-faced.

Actually sounds good - I really enjoy the irony of making sure you used a tuna salad, based on serving to the RoguishCatFamily as a whole.:cool: (and you thunk I wasn't gonna catch that?) Touche, I now owe you another beer.

echoes
12-29-2006, 15:05

RL, Greetings! My own version of the same is smoked salmon, MW, and bacon bits...on fresh baked olive bread. Yum! :)

Holly

brewmonkey
12-29-2006, 19:08
RL, Greetings! My own version of the same is smoked salmon, MW, and bacon bits...on fresh baked olive bread. Yum! :)

Holly

Do you have a recipe you use for the Olive Bread or do you buy it from a local baker?

My wife is the GM of a Bakery/Cafe and she is always bringing me home new breads to try with m samiches. Of course she did not buy me the Panini press I wanted for Christmas...

x SF med
12-29-2006, 19:15
Do you have a recipe you use for the Olive Bread or do you buy it from a local baker?

My wife is the GM of a Bakery/Cafe and she is always bringing me home new breads to try with m samiches. Of course she did not buy me the Panini press I wanted for Christmas...

Hey Brew, RL's samich would go nicely with a Red Tail Ale and some good malt vinegar and sea salt kettle cooked potato chips, wouldn't it?

lksteve
12-29-2006, 19:29
What's your favorite samich?anything my wife makes...

but if i must fend for myself, sourdough bread, onion, lettuce, swiss cheese and mayo...for meat, black forest ham, smoked turkey or roast beef...

LibraryLady
12-29-2006, 20:57
If you feed your crew like that, I'll volunteer. I'm a bit large for the foredeck (that properly calls for bikini clad XXs anyway) but I can sheet, reef, and hold a course. (As long as the sandwich can be reduced to something that fits in one hand - and there's a bottle holder somewhere handy. :p ) Peregrino

I'll second that! Although I've never sailed, don't think I'm too large for the foredeck...

I'll take young shapely bikini clad XXs, for $1000, Alex.

...but I'm not young and don't own a bikini; although I can claim 2 of them X's.

(What is a foredeck, anyway?) :confused:

My personal fav in the sammich world is leftover grilled Copper River sockeye on thick sliced butter grilled sour - squish of lemon and a little fresh ground pepper. The veggies go in the salad to accompany this. Mmmm... 'nother 5 months till I get one of these!

Next in line is a grilled whole wheat PB, banana and brown sugar, best eaten with copious clean up materials available.

LL

x SF med
12-29-2006, 22:19
Oh , the evil, and totally un PC comments that could be uttered if this was not a family board, Ms LL, to your question; " (What is a foredeck, anyway?) :confused: " but I will restrain myself, and give you a real answer.

The foredeck is the front part of a boat, in front of the cabin, generally used for sunbathing by bikini clad XXs in order to instill jealousy in the hearts of other boaters who do not have said XXs on their foredecks. In other words, the first 1/3 of the pointy end of the sailboat, and has nothing to do with a Moyle.

lksteve
12-29-2006, 22:22
In other words, the first 1/3 of the pointy end of the sailboat...you didn't have to get all technical, you know...

x SF med
12-29-2006, 22:28
Dai-Ui, the first rule of sailing = PEGF (pointy end goes first) :rolleyes:

Second rule, if it can't carry beer and samiches, I don't want it. Bikini clad XXs are right up there with the beer and samiches though.

Sdiver
12-29-2006, 23:05
I like taking a Wheat Hoagie roll, and lightly toast it. Then put on a brown spicy mustard, several slices of aged cheddar cheese, thinly sliced deli smoked turkey, nice ripe tomatoes and a few leafs of lettuce, and for the pie-ace-da-resistance, a few strips of bacon.

Peanut butter and bacon on white.
Toast the bread, apply peanut butter, then 'samich' as much hot, fresh out-of-the skillet bacon as you want. Bring plenty of napkins-this one is messy but oh-so-tasty :)

Whew....I thought I was the only one who liked this 'samich'. Only I use a nice Dill Rye bread. In fact I got so hungry for one tonight, after I read this, I went and made me 2 of those 'samiches'.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got make sure my Home AED is fully charged. :D

LibraryLady
12-30-2006, 10:02
Oh , the evil, and totally un PC comments that could be uttered if this was not a family board, Ms LL, to your question; " (What is a foredeck, anyway?) :confused: " but I will restrain myself, and give you a real answer.

The foredeck is the front part of a boat, in front of the cabin, generally used for sunbathing by bikini clad XXs in order to instill jealousy in the hearts of other boaters who do not have said XXs on their foredecks. In other words, the first 1/3 of the pointy end of the sailboat, and has nothing to do with a Moyle.

To continue the further hijack of this wonderful thread that makes me gain weight as I peruse the contents...

x SF Med, you are the consummate gentleman who would never dream of making said evil and totally un PC comments. (it's my reality, just go with it)

Right, gotcha, understand now what a foredeck is. Still wondering about this whole PEGF thing though. See I was raised in a canoe, so PEGF is confusing me... :lifter

Must agree with the second rule though.

LL

x SF med
12-30-2006, 10:18
To continue the further hijack of this wonderful thread that makes me gain weight as I puruse the contents...

x SF Med, you are the consummate gentleman who would never dream of making said evil and totally un PC comments. (it's my reality, just go with it)

Right, gotcha, understand now what a foredeck is. Still wondering about this whole PEGF thing though. See I was raised in a canoe, so PEGF is confusing me... :lifter

Must agree with the second rule though.

LL

LL- I was an NCO, but I'll listen to the voices in your head on this one about the gentleman thing.

In a canoe, either end can go first! Simplifies things, doesn't it?

Canoes can only carry limited amounts of samiches and beer (see, staying on track of the thread) but the samiches need to be kept more waterproofed, and must be prepared ahead of time.

Which leads to the canoeing samich - Bolonga and yellow american on a round roll with Gulden's spicy brown mustard.

LibraryLady
12-30-2006, 10:30
LL- I was an NCO, but I'll listen to the voices in your head on this one about the gentleman thing.

In a canoe, either end can go first! Simplifies things, doesn't it?

Canoes can only carry limited amounts of samiches and beer (see, staying on track of the thread) but the samiches need to be kept more waterproofed, and must be prepared ahead of time.

Which leads to the canoeing samich - Bolonga and yellow american on a round roll with Gulden's spicy brown mustard.

Nice to know someone else is willing to listen to them...:p

I'll concede that's a nice canoeing samich. Still better is the leftover trout from the freshly caught morning breakfast mess, along with a little tomato, lettuce and MW on whole grain. Canoes are small, no room to haul leftovers, use it or lose it!

Yes, there is a theme to my fav samiches, they have a piscatory bent!

LL

x SF med
12-30-2006, 10:35
LL-
How is it that you got piscatory right (although piscatorial might be more correct) and misspelled peruse above? :eek:
The samich sounds good though, I'd chase it with an Anchor Steam.

(waiting to be slapped hard across the back of the brain housing group for correcting our resident Librarian)

LibraryLady
12-30-2006, 10:42
LL-
How is it that you got piscatory right (although piscatorial might be more correct) and misspelled peruse above? :eek:
The samich sounds good though, I'd chase it with an Anchor Steam.

LOL Spelling ability goes hand in hand with blood caffeine levels. I'm not perfect ALL the time! (I fixed my error)

Do you really want to debate grammar on a sunny Saturday morning? (at least it is here) Especially when your fellow debatee is suffering from lack of caffeine?

:p

When canoeing, any beer is a good beer. Anchor Steam is definitely a good un'.

LL

x SF med
12-30-2006, 11:03
Excellent point on the decaffeinated state of the morning... need more of the Gevalia Royal Vinter myself. Since this is only cup 3, the advantage is still there, but not insurmountable.

What does sunny mean? I've forgotten.

edit - Fedex just rang my doorbell - evil younger brother and family sent Christmas cookies and fudge (homemade) - enough for about 4 people, I will not only be caffeinated, but on a major sugar high in the not too distant future.

LibraryLady
12-30-2006, 11:08
Excellent point on the decaffeinated state of the morning... need more of the Gevalia Royal Vinter myself. Since this is only cup 3, the advantage is still there, but not insurmountable.

What does sunny mean? I've forgotten.

After extensive testing we just had it confirmed by scientists here in Seattle. A very rare phenomenon, but occasionally we do see the sun in December. Riots and mayhem ensued upon the news, however a holiday was declared, so all might experience it.

Hmm... maybe I should create a new samich/ beer combination to commemorate the event!

oooohhhh, no fair! Mass quantities of fresh fudge and it's 3 time zones away!

LL

brewmonkey
12-31-2006, 19:00
Hey Brew, RL's samich would go nicely with a Red Tail Ale and some good malt vinegar and sea salt kettle cooked potato chips, wouldn't it?

Is that the Red Tail Ale from Mendicino? If so then I would say sure.

Squidly
01-04-2007, 10:50
Grilled swiss and tomato.

Hot navel pastrami on rye with swiss and deli mustard.

Fried Spam , fresh garden tomato, fresh ground black pepper, and mayo on white.

Onion bagel w/ cream cheese, tomato, purple onion, and crisp bacon (daughter's favorite)

Green pepper, onion, cucumber, tomato on pumpernickel with fire grilled bacon and a little bacon grease.

Ben 'round
03-19-2007, 00:54
Folks,
It Ain't much more than a bologna with cheese sammich with cheeto paste. What is Cheeto paste you ask? Well, you fill a ziploc bag halfway with flaming hot cheetos, then fill it a quarter way with pickle juice. Then you shake it until the cheetos are soggy and begin crushing them until they reach a paste-like state. At that time you cut one end off the ziploc bag and serve like mustard. Kinda sick sounding but try it. Goes great on burgers too!

vsvo
03-17-2008, 13:42
My wife makes this sandwich which I like a lot.

Sliced bread. She usually uses wheat.
Sliced roast beef. She gets london broil from the deli counter at the nearby Harris Teeter.
Sliced cheese. She has used muenster, swiss and sharp cheddar. We like swiss the best.

Sauce:
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce. We just use this (http://usa.lkk.com/Common/DEWay/DEWHoisin.aspx), which I’ve seen in the international aisle at the grocery store. It’s definitely available at the Asian grocery stores.
1 tablespoon Sriracha (http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm) chili sauce. I’ve also seen this at the grocery store. This sauce and the hoisin are also typically on the table at the pho restaurants.
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish. Use more or less of this and the chili sauce, as you like.

Place a couple slices of butter on a hot iron skillet. Place one slice of bread on the skillet. Build it with one slice of cheese and the sliced roast beef. Cover with second slice of bread. Cook until the bread is toasted, then flip and cook until the other side is toasted. Add more butter if necessary. Remove from skillet. Spoon sauce inside the sandwich, then serve.

ETA: My food photography skills leave a lot to be desired, but here are shots of the sandwich and sauce.

Penn
03-18-2008, 13:13
EQ’s Breakfast Sandwich
1. Toasted English muffin, split not sliced apart, toasted crisp and buttered
2. One slice of Genoa salami place in a non stick pan warmed gently.
3. One slice of white American cheese placed on top of the Salami to melt/soften.
4. Place Salami and cheese on the muffin.
5. One over easy egg on the above and S & P
6. enjoy

f50lrrp
03-18-2008, 14:22
1. A Club Sandwich from the Hill Top Market outside the Taylor Street Gate of the Presidio of Monterey. Two full pounds of meat and cheese on a thick, seeded french roll.

2. A Bratwurst sandwich or a Schnitzel sandwich from the Mecca Deli in Marina, California. Both with authentic German Senf.

2018commo
03-21-2008, 13:29
Breakfast on a Bun
Stolen from Nicks, Cross Street Market, Baltimore MD
Large Kaiser Roll, halved and toasted on griddle, once toasted well buttered.
Two eggs fried hard, slice of provolone cheese on eggs.
2-4 slices of bacon,
One cup hash browns, well garnished with sub hots.
Assemble on Kaiser, wrap in heavy aluminum foil.
Show up on job site with a box of these on a Saturday morning.
Raise moral and git r done.

WARNING: Not AR 600-9 compliant:cool:

JustinW20
03-25-2008, 12:27
Left over tri-tip, sliced thin.
Left over Camembert cheese, spread thick.
Sourdough bread.

Grill it up... Best darn grilled cheese I ever had!

Philkilla
04-09-2008, 20:04
My culinary mind isn't quite cooking at the moment, but, how many of you have heard of Firehouse Subs? It's a franchise 6-7 years deep mostly based in FL I presume...but MAN..they must put crack in the subs. Best Sandwich chain I have ever come across.

If you see one, make sure you stop and check it out. The hook and ladder is the cornerstone of sandwich excellence.