PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Barnhart Training

kgoerz
06-19-2009, 15:40
We just completed a week of Marksmanship training run by Jerry Barnhart. He is a true professional and excellent Instructor. By far the best training designed for guys with or without experience. He lets you know up front he was never a Tactical Operator. He leaves you with a Toolbox full of different techniques designed to make you shoot faster and more accurate. What you choose to use is up to you.
He teaches always shooting with both eyes open and seeing thru your sights at the Target. Something I always had trouble with until this week. Everyone left the Range this week with increased speed and accuracy.
I went thru his training in the mid nineties. It's even better now. I would highly recommend hiring him if your Unit or Agency is looking to bring someone in to run a course for you. He is very open to gear the training to your needs. He doesn't come cheap. But you get what you pay for. It was money well spent.
He doesn't just tell people to fix their stance or grip. He will show you on how to do it. His shooting and moving drills were excellent and challenging. Once you get proficient at one level he steps it up a notch.
Now I am going to go soak my strong Hand in Ice:D

kgoerz
06-19-2009, 17:00
Someone asked me to elaborate a little more on his technique. Hope this explains it a little more.

We did one day of Carbine. But the rest of the week was Pistol.

This is how I made it work for me. Might not work for everyone. It's always drilled in our heads to focus on the front sight. But with both eyes COMPLETELY open the front sight is never going to be sharp and clear.
We learned to look where we wanted our rounds to impact rather then just focus on the sights.
After awhile you start to see the rounds actually impacting the Target without consciously trying to. By that time your already looking at your next Target.
I'm not shitting you. It worked.
Remember this is for rapid precision shooting on the move. Not reactive/point shooting. Or slow fire.
I just had to learn to trust myself that the rounds were going to impact where I was looking (at the Target) Even thou I had a blurry sight picture.
Also knowing that I didn't always need perfect sight alignment. Depending on the distance. I now know how much I can get away with. This really speeds up you transition from target to target.
We also each shot over 3000 rounds in four days to learn this.
Depending on light conditions. At 25 Meters or more most people will have to squint their non dominant eye some. This worked excellent for me at 20 Meters or less. My vision is not what it use to be.
I kind of compared it to using a compass. You just have to learn to trust it.
Hope that helps some.

dr. mabuse
06-19-2009, 17:03
"The Burner!" :cool:

kgoerz
06-19-2009, 17:14
"The Burner!" :cool:

Watching him shoot a standard Pistol, no Race Gun. I don't think he is from this Planet:D

dr. mabuse
06-19-2009, 17:39
He was the first shooter that I heard the term "dialed-in" applied to.:D