2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/3 cups yellow squash grated
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon ground

Directions

Mix together eggs and sugar in a bowl; mix until thick. Stir in oil, vanilla, and grated yellow squash mix until blended-well. Fold in flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon; stir until completely mixed. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake in350 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until the bread is done. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove and complete cooling on a wire rack.

Gypsy
07-04-2004, 16:39
This sounds yummy PB, I'll be trying this soon.

BTW, a little secret to keeping any bread you make nice and moist(zucchini, bananna etc) is to wrap it in tin foil while still warm. (I usually let cool about 10 minutes only) Then I place it in a zip lock freezer bag. Works like a charm.

lrd
07-04-2004, 17:00
PB,

Do you peel the squash before you grate it?

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 17:19
I love squash and squash bread! Moms makes it.

mffjm8509
07-04-2004, 17:21
I thouhgt I'd add my contribution here.....

My wife told me that next year I have to plant a seperate garden for my squash plants....This year I'm growing 4 different hybrid squash and they ahve overtaken virtually everything else.....

Ok, so this is not a true pickle recipie, but the result is a delicious variety that tastes great on bugers, or alone....

2C Zucchini 1/4" thin slices
1 medium red onion, thin sliced
1C sugar
1/2 C vinegar
1t salt
1/2 t mustard seed
1/4 t celery seed
1/4t tumeric

mix all of the ingredients in a 2qt glass bown and microwave for 7-9 minutes on high, stir twice. put in jar to cool and then store in the fridge....

mp

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 17:24
but the result is a delicious variety that tastes great on bugers

eeeewwww!:confused:

lrd
07-04-2004, 17:36
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
eeeewwww!:confused: Darnit. I was getting ready to post a serious squash recipe, and you threw me off! LOL

mffjm8509
07-04-2004, 17:39
eeeewwww!:confused:

Thats nothing......I've got some very "unconventional" burger ideas that would probably turn most away....

Try a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, melted atop a buffalo burger, covered by 2 slices of aged swiss cheese....

mp

Roycroft201
07-04-2004, 18:01
Go ahead, lrd. Pay no attention to NDD. I tried to start a discussion about dinners with friends and he thought it sounded like a cover for an orgy ! LOL !!

Gee whiz ! Maybe we should just send him back to the 'bear pit'.??
:D

Roycroft201;)

lrd
07-04-2004, 18:17
I was going to post my great-aunt Vera's Prize-Winning Southern Squash Cassarole, but the picture in my mind's eye seemed a little too close the image of mp's squash relish on "bugers." :D

mffjm8509
07-04-2004, 18:26
Originally posted by lrd
I was going to post my great-aunt Vera's Prize-Winning Southern Squash Cassarole, but the picture in my mind's eye seemed a little too close the image of mp's squash relish on "bugers." :D

Post away.....

each year I have so much squash from the garden that theres no way I get to cook it all. I'd like to try some different recipies....

mp

Gypsy
07-04-2004, 18:31
Originally posted by lrd

Aww what's wrong with Buffalo Burgers? That is some good eating!

Ok...post Aunt Vera's recipie!

lrd
07-04-2004, 18:49
I've got to run outside for a few local fireworks...now that it's stopped raining...but I'll post it in a bit.

(NDD -- did they miss it completely?)

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 18:52
"bugers." Not burgers. I was poking fun at MFF 'cause he forgot his "r".

mffjm8509
07-04-2004, 19:12
"bugers." Not burgers. I was poking fun at MFF 'cause he forgot his "r".

Ahhah.......I get it, I'm an idiot many times over tonight.....

mp:)

Gypsy
07-04-2004, 19:20
Originally posted by lrd
(NDD -- did they miss it completely?)

D'oh now I see! That's what I get for not using my reading glasses.

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 19:27
Ok, let's get serious. There's a new Mod for this forum and he might be tough. LOL

Squash.

What they did was slice it and soak it in butter milk, then saute with onion in a little butter (not margarine) until a nice golden brown. Then add a little water and cover and let it finish cooking au vapor. Didn't peel it, just knock off the ugly parts.

Delicious!

lrd
07-04-2004, 20:01
Here you go, copied directly from her own hand:

Great-Aunt Vera's Prize-Winning Squash Parmesan

8 medium yellow squash, sliced
1 med-lg onion, coarsely chopped
2 slices of bread or toast
1/2 cup milk (buttermilk is best, but sweet milk will do)
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
1 egg
pepper and paprika to taste
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
6 soda crackers

Combine squash & onion in a small amount of water, cover, and cook until barely half done. Drain, reserving liquor. Soak bread in the liguor.

Mash together squash, onion, and bread. Add milk, salt, egg, cheddar cheese, butter, pepper and paprika. If mixture is too soupy, add 2-3 crushed crackers.

Pour into greased shallow baking dish and sprinkle liberally with parmesan cheese. Top with buttered crushed cracker crumbs, and bake at 375 F for about 45 minutes, until brown and slightly dry.

Aunt Vera gave this to me after I gave her a copy of one of my first recipes: Orange Milk.

Shake together 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup milk, a drop of vanilla extract, and a bit of sugar.

:p

BTW...I never did get her to tell me what prize she won.

Gypsy
07-04-2004, 20:05
lrd, that sounds fabulous. What is sweet milk, is that like condensed milk in the can?

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 20:07
Originally posted by Gypsy
What is sweet milk, is that like condensed milk in the can?

Yankee LOL

Gypsy
07-04-2004, 20:12
Yankee LOL

MOOOODDDDD!!!! :p

Yep 'tis true I'm a proud Damn Yankee! But I'm Southern by association, doesn't that count at all?

lrd
07-04-2004, 20:14
lrd, that sounds fabulous. What is sweet milk, is that like condensed milk in the can? Gypsy, darlin'...I think we need to get you away from Chicago for a bit.

Sweet milk is what you find in the plastic jugs at the grocery store.

Polar Bear
07-04-2004, 20:20
Originally posted by lrd
PB,

Do you peel the squash before you grate it?

No Peeling

Gypsy
07-04-2004, 20:21
Originally posted by lrd
Gypsy, darlin'...I think we need to get you away from Chicago for a bit.

Sweet milk is what you find in the plastic jugs at the grocery store.

We're working on that!

Hmm I'll have to check the local grocery to see if we have it in heathen country. LOL

lrd
07-04-2004, 20:38
We're working on that!

Hmm I'll have to check the local grocery to see if we have it in heathen country. LOL They had it in southern Illinois when I lived there. lol

I rarely bake with sweet milk. Buttermilk is made from skim milk, so is lowfat, but has a richer flavor than sweet milk. One note though: buttermilk has a higher amount of lactic acid, if you're senstive.

Roycroft201
07-04-2004, 23:49
Pssssssst ! Gypsy - I would have had to ask the same thing about "sweet milk". I think it must be a southern thing. Up here, milk is milk, and anything with an adjective in front of it is not plain old milk. But that's just in these parts ;)

RC

lrd
07-05-2004, 08:09
Originally posted by Roycroft201
Pssssssst ! Gypsy - I would have had to ask the same thing about "sweet milk". I think it must be a southern thing. Up here, milk is milk, and anything with an adjective in front of it is not plain old milk. But that's just in these parts ;)

RC Let me put it another way, ladies: originally, butter milk was what you had after the butter was churned out. (Get it? the butter milk?) :p

I know folks who won't drink sweet milk, but they'll use it to cook. I'm of the other persuasion...

(Is this like the grits thing...are you all deliberately misunderstanding? :D )