View Full Version : Interesting Vietnam Memorial fact.........
greenberetTFS
06-17-2009, 19:54
Army Mom,
Did you come across this info during your recent trip to the memorial ?
The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial is astounding for its simplicity and meaning. Etched carefully in the black granite wall are the names of 58,156 Americans who died in that gruesome war. And since its opening in 1982, the striking monument has stirred deep, and sometimes painful, emotions in many people....:(
Some visitors walk the length of the memorial slowly and reverently, but without a pause. Others stop before certain names to linger where they recognize the name of a son, sweetheart, or fellow soldier. They wipe away their tears and remember the legacy those lost lives left behind..........:(
For Robert Bedker, Willard Craig, and Darrall Lausch-three Vietnam veterans-a trip to visit the memorial must be especially moving because each man can walk up to the long ebony wall and find their own names carved in the stone. Because of data coding errors, each of them was incorrectly listed as killed in action upon the monument.........:(
Big Teddy :munchin
armymom1228
06-17-2009, 21:14
For Robert Bedker, Willard Craig, and Darrall Lausch-three Vietnam veterans-a trip to visit the memorial must be especially moving because each man can walk up to the long ebony wall and find their own names carved in the stone. Because of data coding errors, each of them was incorrectly listed as killed in action upon the monument
THAT is pretty cool. I will make it a point to check that out when I go down next time..
Didya know that 8 nurses died and have thier own memorial? 98% of the tours that go through the area do not even bother to stop, nor do they mention the small plaque that most do not even notice by the Viet Nam Statues that honors those of my generation that have died since they came back for whatever reason and by whatever they aquired there.
You are right, they file past..not seeming to really know or care.. school kids busy being bored and texting... and so on....
Its like those parts of Arlington that see so few visitors... my favorite parts.. peaceful, quiet, serene.. Soon, one day there will be none of us who remember and why.... and it will all be just words on paper.... WHO will remember for us?
Anne, just an Army mom. .
metelliana
06-17-2009, 23:53
I visited the memorials just this morning. I hadn't ever been there before and I don't quite know how to express how I felt seeing it all. I walked around for hours trying to take it all in. And when I had seen all I could, I sat on a bench, smoked a cigarette and cried just a little. I had a real good day.
metelliana
greenberetTFS
06-18-2009, 01:17
THAT is pretty cool. I will make it a point to check that out when I go down next time..
Didya know that 8 nurses died and have thier own memorial? 98% of the tours that go through the area do not even bother to stop, nor do they mention the small plaque that most do not even notice by the Viet Nam Statues that honors those of my generation that have died since they came back for whatever reason and by whatever they aquired there.
You are right, they file past..not seeming to really know or care.. school kids busy being bored and texting... and so on....
Its like those parts of Arlington that see so few visitors... my favorite parts.. peaceful, quiet, serene.. Soon, one day there will be none of us who remember and why.... and it will all be just words on paper.... WHO will remember for us?
Anne, just an Army mom. .
Anne,
Those are very stirring pictures........I've haven't been up to see the Memorial for quite a few years now......With Maggie's in a wheel chair now and me getting ready for one I doubt I will be back again.....But she did take pictures which we were looking at and I due recall the Statues of the Vietnam Nurses....I even remember the "Salute to the Nurses of Vietnam" song that Barry Sadler made for their rememberance........WHO will remember us?I believe I can tell you,those brave young men that are graduating from SFQC. They will,and when they get old,their sons will,and when their sons get old and so on.....They are made of fine stock and they wil be our rememberance.........
Big Teddy
For Robert Bedker, Willard Craig, and Darrall Lausch-three Vietnam veterans-a trip to visit the memorial must be especially moving because each man can walk up to the long ebony wall and find their own names carved in the stone. Because of data coding errors, each of them was incorrectly listed as killed in action upon the monument...
Are there names of people on the Memorial who are still alive?
Yes. There is no definitive answer to exactly how many, but there could be as many as 38 names of personnel who survived, but through clerical errors, were added to the list of fatalities provided by the Department of Defense. One person, whose name was added as late as 1992, had gone AWOL immediately upon his return to the United States after his second completed tour of duty. His survival only came to the attention of government authorities in 1996. His name will be removed from future "Directory of Names," however it cannot be removed from The Wall.*
Another government conspiracy or merely simple clerical errors as the DOD claims? Don't let Michael Moore or 60 Minutes get hold of this information or we'll be in for another round of tin-foil hat foofarah. ;)
Richard's $.02 :munchin
* http://www.vvmf.org/index.cfm?SectionID=85#faq17
ARMYMOM1228
Didya know that 8 nurses died and have thier own memorial?
Have you read the book "Piece of My Heart" about the women that served in Viet Nam?
Recently our SFA Chapter held a dinner honoring the women who served in Viet Nam. A retired nurse 05, an ex OR nurse 03 and an ARC DD.
Anne,
Those are very stirring pictures........I've haven't been up to see the Memorial for quite a few years now......With Maggie's in a wheel chair now and me getting ready for one I doubt I will be back again.....But she did take pictures which we were looking at and I due recall the Statues of the Vietnam Nurses....I even remember the "Salute to the Nurses of Vietnam" song that Barry Sadler made for their rememberance........WHO will remember us?I believe I can tell you,those brave young men that are graduating from SFQC. They will,and when they get old,their sons will,and when their sons get old and so on.....They are made of fine stock and they wil be our rememberance.........
Big Teddy
TFS,
Beautifully written! If someday I have a daughter, (or son,) they will also remember, because I was taught to respect and remember by my family...and the respect we hold for those fallen, will go on.
Thank you for those incredible photos armymom, as I did not know there was a memorial for them.
Holly:)
I had read about the names, some years ago and wondered how mistakes like this are made when it comes to creating such a stirring memorial. It makes me wonder if people really do care!
I have visited the Vietnam Memorial Wall, every year, since 1985. For years, I participated in Rolling Thunder. Vietnam vets have always had a very soft spot in my heart, probably because of my dad, my Godfather (who is on it) and many of my friends. The first time I went, I overheard some hippyfreak making desparaging comments about the wall and the heroes on it. I (being young and full of piss and vinegar and getting my IRish up) quietly walked up to her and re-educated her. She and her friends said nothing as I told them they didn't have to come here, they weren't invited but they were invited to leave...and quickly. During Rolling Thunder, I held friends in my arms as they sobbed for lost buddies, it being their first time to the wall! Unfortunately, I haven't been there in the last couple of years because of other issues. The Nurses Memorial brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it. Whenever I see it or pics of it, it makes me think of a medivac doc that is a good friend. She wasn't in Vietnam but she has been to the box plenty of times. I have seen her honored by those she has saved!
(sorry, I digressed a bit there...)
I have said it before and will again....Thank you to all the Vietnam heroes, and WELCOME HOME!
And TEDDY... I would be more than proud and honored to push in your wheelchair past the memorial, if you need the help!!
armymom1228
06-18-2009, 14:48
ARMYMOM1228
Have you read the book "Piece of My Heart" about the women that served in Viet Nam?
Recently our SFA Chapter held a dinner honoring the women who served in Viet Nam. A retired nurse 05, an ex OR nurse 03 and an ARC DD.
Yep.... thank you for honoring those nurses. As a young nursing school graduate my preceptors were either active duty or ret. Army nurses. It left a lasting impression on my style of nursing and my resepct for those who taught me. They are the unsung heroes that we tend to forget...the nurses, medics and docs... and those awesome medivac helo drivers.. My dtrs father was one, he could put a helo down anyplace, anytime in any conditions.. the stories he told me of the medics ...
I have photos of last months Rolling Thunder on my picasa whatchamacallit...
http://picasaweb.google.com/kosmikbubbles
hit MY PHOTOS to see 2008 and 2007... the photos of 2007 were lost on the laptop that screamed bonzai and wanted to jump into the water... never know with electronics.. they do some crazy things...
I don't talk about losing Mike a lot to my kids..they just do not understand and like my grandfather, whom all men must measure up to... talking about either of them leaves me with deep emotions best left in that bottom drawer with the letters and photos. :) It is what it is... It iswas an honor and a priviledge to take care of those who, so to speak, took care of me...
Besides sick guys are a lot more fun to take care of than sick old fat women.. trust me on that score.
Teddy, by now you should know... anytime, anyplace, anyway I can do for you you have only to pm me or call... it would be both an honor and a joy to do what I could to show you DC... there is much much more than The Wall.
For the rest of you... it is a MUST to see this area AT NIGHT... the FDR memorial at night is simply beautiful.. about 1am when its more quiet fewer summer tourists. The full moon over the Capitol or the Tidal Basin. I am going to miss that part of DC when I move south this fall..
AM
When a name of a servicemen who was missing in action was added to the wall a cross was placed by his name. In then event of his return a circle was to be put around the cross signifying his safe return. Sadly, to date there are NO circles on the wall. :(
For those who are missing in action, and later recovered and identified by CIHLI in Hawaii, the cross is modified to a diamond.
DinDinA-2
06-18-2009, 20:34
armymom...thanks for the photos, very nice.
When a name of a servicemen who was missing in action was added to the wall a cross was placed by his name. In then event of his return a circle was to be put around the cross signifying his safe return. Sadly, to date there are NO circles on the wall. :(
For those who are missing in action, and later recovered and identified by CIHLI in Hawaii, the cross is modified to a diamond.
I wonder why they can't stamp a square or other shape around the diamonds preceeding the names of living vets that were mistakenly put on the Wall? That would be one way to partly solve the problem discussed earlier in the thread.