PDA

View Full Version : Blade help???

Eagle5US
07-04-2004, 14:33
My sons LOVE knives, they only as a couple that are worthy of being called "blades", but they are on their way nonetheless.
They are with us in HI for a month.
Hit the thrift store yesterday...and my oldest son (the HS graduate!) brings me a cardboard box...says:
"Hey Dad, aren't German knives supposed to be good? I found this box with German writing on it. The knife inside ROCKS!"
Hmmmm...OK, I'll take a look at it.

Eagle5US
07-04-2004, 14:35
This story board will have a few frames...can't post more than 1 pic per post...sorry...
Box is heavy...I open her up and wrapped in plastic...

Eagle5US
07-04-2004, 14:39
narry even a crease on the sheath snap loops! My eyes get big and so do my smile...
Son: "It was over with the silverware" :eek:

Eagle5US
07-04-2004, 14:40
There are two marks on the blade...the first...

Eagle5US
07-04-2004, 14:41
the obverse...

Eagle5US
07-04-2004, 14:47
Needless to say, I bought him the blade
for $10.00!!!

I found on the internet were German sites relating to "Hunters" but could read little else (since I don't know German).
Various websites had this knife (or one VERY similiar) for between 178 and 225 Euro's :eek:
Not a bad buy for a 10 spot!

Any offers of information from those in the know would be more than welcome.

Thanks...

Eagle

August-O Twenty
07-04-2004, 20:43
That blade was a steal!! lucky dog you. Nice blade and good find

Bill Harsey
07-04-2004, 23:37
Very interesting. I'll try doing some home work tommorrow.

Eagle5US
07-05-2004, 02:21
And thanks for the PM. Your box was full, lest I would have replied.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Eagle

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 09:06
Eagle5US, Your welcome. Blade shape involved is based on the well known Puma hunter which usually came with a stag handle. Puma is a German firm. I don't recognize the manufacturers mark on the knife you've shown. The Puma hunters sell for just over 200 dollars American. Germany is diferant from the United States in that they are not required to mark imported goods with country of origin marks as we are here. This means they can have goods manufactured in any country and mark it made in Germany. This makes tracking harder. I don't know anything about the knife you show here. Is there a country of origin mark? Is there any reference to alloy of steel?

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 11:15
Oh yeah, forgot to say, very good knife, especially considereing the price. There are many knife companies I don't know about, so my not knowing about that particular knife doesn't mean anything. I do know that balde shape was common to Puma, also a German knife company.

Eagle5US
07-05-2004, 12:17
Thanks Bill!!!
You may not THINK you know an awful lot about all blades, but (once again) you have demonstrated that you know one heck of a lot more than I do!!! LOL
The only markings on the knife that we could find were the ones shown.
I had found the "stag handled" ones here (http://www.kimme-korn.de/baseportal/KiKo2004/the_site/Magazin/Magazin_detail&thema=Messer&artikel=43)
Then what looks to be his knife here (http://waffen-hanje.de/Zubehoer.html)
Not certain if these two sites will help in your questions or not. Other than the base of the blade, is there anywhere else I should look or anything specific I may "overlook" ( a notch code, pattern or some other little nuance)?
Curiosity at this point, you have already been a world of help. Joe will be pleased.:)

Eagle

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 12:27
Originally posted by Eagle5US
Thanks Bill!!!
You may not THINK you know an awful lot about all blades, but (once again) you have demonstrated that you know one heck of a lot more than I do!!! LOL
The only markings on the knife that we could find were the ones shown.
I had found the "stag handled" ones here (http://www.kimme-korn.de/baseportal/KiKo2004/the_site/Magazin/Magazin_detail&thema=Messer&artikel=43)
Then what looks to be his knife here (http://waffen-hanje.de/Zubehoer.html)
Not certain if these two sites will help in your questions or not. Other than the base of the blade, is there anywhere else I should look or anything specific I may "overlook" ( a notch code, pattern or some other little nuance)?
Curiosity at this point, you have already been a world of help. Joe will be pleased.:)

Eagle

You guys Google is weak.

Observe the Master, 30 seconds work:

http://www.weberknives.de/index.html?original_hirschkrone_messer.htm

English site: http://www.weber-knives.com/index.html?main.htm

Official HIRSCHKRONE knife of the GERMAN AIR FORCE Pilots
Item N°: HK - 3050

Top knife from HIRSCHKRONE, the official Pilots knife of the GERMAN LUFTWAFFE:

Stainless hunting knife blade with official logo BUND ( short version for BUNDESWEHR ) and HIRSCHKRONE / SOLINGEN.

Blade made of special steel 4116, which has a flexible hardness of 57 RC at the top and 51 RC at the handle, this enables a ductility of 15 % at the handle to both sides !

Length of the blade 155 mm.

Width 5 mm.

Blade with axe cutter on the back.

Total length 290 mm.

Handle made of Palisander scales with aluminium guard.

Incl. a genuine leather sheath ( foto see: Sheaths/LS - 3050 ).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pilots knife from HIRSCHKRONE is the result of an official tender of the German army. Being the successor of the PUMA WHITE HUNTER, the Pilots knife picks up the shape of this famous knife, but comes with more flexibility concerning the blade. The hardness of 57 RC at the edge of the blade together with the weaker part of the blade at the handle ( 51 RC ) makes this knife an important tool for the pilots: If they have to leave their plane by parachute ( in a case of emergency ), the knife can reliably lever the turret of their cabin ( should the small explosives, which are installed for this purpose, not work properly ) and they can use the rejector seat resp. the parachute to bring them back to earth safely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EUR 76.50 (US$ 94.09)
Quantity:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this is the blade in question?

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 12:30
This logo the same?

Get down and start pushing.

TR

Eagle5US
07-05-2004, 12:52
my "googlefu" blows...
Thanks TR...
Thanks to you as well Bill!!!

:lifter
Please let me know when you get tired Sir!

Eagle

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 13:04
Originally posted by Eagle5US
my "googlefu" blows...
Thanks TR...
Thanks to you as well Bill!!!

:lifter
Please let me know when you get tired Sir!

Eagle

For what it is worth, you stole it.

Tell your son, good eye!

The apple never falls far from the tree does it?

TR

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 14:29
At least I figured out what QP stands for.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 15:05
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
At least I figured out what QP stands for.

All by yourself, or with help from a QP?:D

TR

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 15:15
A lot of help Sir Reaper. donotdrinkwhiskeywithhuntingpartnerandthenlogontoP rofessionalSoldiers. donotdrinkwhiskeywithhuntingpartnerandthenlogontoP rofessioanlSoldiers. DonotdrinkwhiskeywithhuntingpartnerandthenlogontoP rofessionalSoldiers.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 15:21
A lot of help Sir Reaper. donotdrinkwhiskeywithhuntingpartnerandthenlogontoP rofessionalSoldiers. donotdrinkwhiskeywithhuntingpartnerandthenlogontoP rofessioanlSoldiers. DonotdrinkwhiskeywithhuntingpartnerandthenlogontoP rofessionalSoldiers.

Bill:

Only the best post here.

The weak and thin-skinned we run off quickly.

TR

Bill Harsey
07-05-2004, 15:38
Thanks! and you guys still let me in.

The Reaper
07-05-2004, 15:53
Thanks! and you guys still let me in.

I do not think you fit into either the "weak" or the "thin skinned" category, Sir.

Strong, thick-skinned, hard-headed, hungry, or thirsty maybe.

TR