PDA

View Full Version : A year and then some.

Roy
06-15-2009, 11:26
Greetings,

I do appologize if this topic has been covered but I could not locate via the search button. My question is with regards to my personal goal of obtaining the 18-Xray contract. Any help would be great, here is my story.

The year is 2002 and I graduate from Highschool, I was given the opportunity to attend the Naval Academy Prep School in Rhode Island. I took the opportunity and went. My father passed away that same month. After spending four months at the prep school I decided to return home and help my mother with my younger brother.

A few years down the road.

April 2007 I graduate from college with my BA. I worked "normal" jobs for about a year. This was not the life I wanted. At the current time I had two friends who were SF and in 7th group. They are twins, a few might know them. I learned a great deal about SF from them and then decide I too wanted to be SF.

January 2008 I go to the Army recruiter. I was told that becuase of my prior commitment to the Navy I needed to wait another year to estblish my "commitment" to SF and the 18X-Ray contract.

Now, Monday June 15, 2009 after taking the ASVAB and getting the scores needed I am told once again that becuase of the Navy my only option is 11B, infantry. There is nothing wrong with infantry and the possibilties of eventually getting to SFAS that way but its not how I want it. I want the 18X-ray.

Is there any truth to the mentioned above? Basically I am potentially trying to figure out how I can get said contract. Any information, assistance, etc will be gladly accepted.

Roy

blue02hd
06-15-2009, 14:11
We are not recruiters, although some recruiters may post here.

I would suggest you go shopping to other recruiters and see what they are wililng to do for you. In my personal story, I had to go to 5 recruiters before my 125 lb sack of potatoes would be accepted to an 11X Rgr contract. They kept saying I was too skinny,,,

Needless to say I got the contract I wanted, but not until I shopped around.

You control your destiny, not they.

Scimitar
06-15-2009, 16:29
Roy,

Hope this helps...

Go here... link (http://www.usarec.army.mil/bdemap.html)...and find your local Recruiting Company HQ, Then find one next to it. Call them. It is possible you have burnt your bridge with your local Company; it is possible they are giving you the same line cos they know who you are.

I have heard of 'stuff' similar to yours before, I am pretty sure there is a way around it, but it’s gonna be a hassle for you and the recruiter. Then again with the recent Mega changes in USAREC in March, it is possible the door may be closed.

Frankly some of the reasons they have given you aren’t ringing true with me. Recruiters are known to FOB you if they think you are going to be too much hassle and give you a line.* Wait one year doesn’t add up to me, nor does "you can only go 11B". I could be wrong.

Next - Simply advise the person at the new Coy HQ, (it's surprising how often you get the Top or the O3) that you are wanting to enlist under the 18X contract and that you qualify but you're not happy with the recruiter you are dealing with in your area and you'd like to enlist under them instead. Don't give them the whole story over the phone; sell the meeting not the product.

Try and get them to recommend a recruiter in their Coy that has 18X experience (they like 18X, they get 2 points for you). Tell them you don't mind the travel.

Try and get a career recruiter, TDY recruiters have less experience and can be throw by the complexities of the 18X contract, some shy away from it due to its complexities and again may give you a line. Unfortunately most career recruiters are very busy station commanders.

In the most humble of ways ask the recruiter recommended to you for proof of prior 18X experience, he should be able to pull a document, if he can't its possible he's already lied to you.

*NOTE – IMHO - 95% of recruiters do a very hard job in a very NCO way. Unfortunately it’s the 5% that get all the press. In no way do I want this to be seen as bagging recruiters.

Lastly, go prepared and professional. If they get any thoughts that you're not serious then they won’t want to put the work in for you. Tell me what prepared and professional will look like.

Questions?

HTH

Scimitar

BTW - are you still planning on enlisting together wth your friend? or was it your brother?

Roy
06-15-2009, 18:08
Thank you for the responses.

I have already taken action and contacted other recruiters. If things go smoothly I should be enlisted next week with the 18X-Ray contract.

Scimitar, it indeed was me and my younger brother.

Roy

Scimitar
06-15-2009, 18:10
Is he still interested?

Last time we talked he was so-so.

BTW, you didnt answer me question. How are you planning on coming across prepared and professional?

S

Roy
06-15-2009, 18:20
I do not think currently he is actively seeking the same career path as me.

As for the the second part of the question which I missed, I shall present myself as understanding but establishing my rapport. In this negotiation I will have to listen; put myself in their position-seeing from both sides of the table. I must balance my priorities with their priorities. I must be punctual and precise. I must effectively establish my desire without coming across as arrogant.