PDA

View Full Version : SF Coin - Urban Legend?

ACE844
06-10-2009, 14:52
Everyone,

I was curious about your opinions on this and what you guys think. As a second job I do custom minting sales for a challenge coin custom minting company (http://www.uschallengecoins.com/Coins.html) we make coins for all sorts of units and entities. I am also an avid collector and collect mostly SF-SO and related coins. Later on in my collecting I ran into a group of serious collectors many of whom are prior and active duty folks who had started a 'challenge coin association'.

As a group they discuss various ethical based issues and things relating to minting, collecting, etc..challenge coins. The founder of the CCA group and association made a post on their message board. That individual also works for North West Territorial Mint and he also does custom minting for various entities and units.

He started a topic based on this thread from this forum Glocktalk user brownmajik (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715810)

In that thread the poster 'brownmajik' starts a general thread about challenge coins and there are some things he says in his initial post and in follow on posts which make me wonder if he isn't just an internet poser.

This post in particular is one I was going to ask about it is the on made on 06-20-2007, 07:25.

There he claims

"The Game:

In my unit (and I have heard of this happening in other naval units as well), when you and your shipmates / fellow marines / fellow soldiers / fellow airmen / fellow coastguardsmen go out on the town for a much earned drink, everybody whips out their challenge coins. Anybody who doesnt have their coin on them buys the drinks. Usually we limit it to the coinless person only buying the first round, though! Lucky them!

I have also heard of some rather dubious variations of The Game played by special operations units. One story I heard was up at Bragg, some Green Berets would take their "Black Ops / I Wasn't Here" coins out with them when they were prowling for female companionship. Now everybody knows that the bars at Bragg are filled with "Lonely Wives Club" members (aka, the wives and girlfriends of men on deployment). Some of the SF guys would go out, hook up with a "Lonely Wife" and , before leaving the residence they would Scotch Tape their "Black Ops / I Wasn't Here" challenge coin to the bottom of the toilet seat. Of course, the ladies leave the seat down when they do their business, but whenever the deployed man would come home, they'd flip the seat up to pee and VIOLA! there was a challenge coin staring them in the face. Nasty little surprise, but then again, that's what they pay those boys for....the surprises that is, not the wife banging."
This is the coin he was talking about:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l245/brownmajik/blackopscoin.jpg

I asked the NWTM guy who checked the company database and he says the coin is a general coin the company made arbitrarily and and it wasn't one custom minted by a SF-SO unit.

Also the behavior and claims he made didn't seem to fit what I have observed and know of QP's from both here and personally. In short my BS meter was pegged. I stated my opinion that I believed the guy was a poser and that I didn't believe this was a coin you guys used in this manner or in the form of a 'check'. Frankly as an avid SF-SO challenge coin collector I think most of the coins you guys have done are a lot nicer and better designed than the one pictured. I was curious what you guys thought about the behavior he claims occurs regularly, and what he posted.

I also thought it might bring to your attention another in the already long list of wannabe posers, and perhaps it might be an interesting discussion. What do you guys think?

koz
06-10-2009, 17:27
I'd call it BS.. I never heard of that happening on a regular basis.. It may have happened once but to say SOF guys go out and do it on a typical weekend.... BS...

Of course I was never issued my too cool "Black Ops" coin so maybe I wasn't in the club. :rolleyes: You'd hear of a lot more manslaughter cases at Bragg if that was a normal game. Recently deployed soldier has PTSD and kills cheating wife would be the daily headline....

Besides why go and waste the money on a crappy wannabe coin?

Just my .02

7624U
06-10-2009, 17:35
Ive never had a O-5 and above or a CSM hand me that coin.

I belive you can buy one on Ebay.

As for the toilet seat thing. Think about it. What wife would not clean her bathroom and toilet over a 12 month deployment. Duh. The poster said he is in the Navy also FYI.

Better question would be Who started the whole Challenge coin tradition in the first place ?

My guess it was Walter Shumate.

Penn
06-10-2009, 17:46
As a second job I do custom minting sales for a challenge coin custom minting company we make coins for all sorts of units and entities. I am also an avid collector and collect mostly SF-SO and related coins. Later on in my collecting I ran into a group of serious collectors many of whom are prior and active duty folks who had started a 'challenge coin association'.

Is this a back door sales pitch......I'm not convinced it isn't, so I'm closing this thread prior to discussions with other mod's to delete.

Snaquebite
06-10-2009, 19:30
I call BIG BS...IMHO 99.9% of SF have higher morals than that.

The Reaper
06-10-2009, 19:34
I think this is one of the stupidest stories I have ever heard.

TR

Team Sergeant
06-23-2009, 09:48
I think this is one of the stupidest stories I have ever heard.

TR

LOL, but it was on glocktalk! It must be true! :rolleyes: