PDA

View Full Version : Iwo Jima Veteran killed During Robbery Attempt

tst43
06-09-2009, 16:33
I came across a news story from Florence, SC, wherein it relates that an 83 year-old veteran of Iwo Jima was shot to death during an apparent armed robbery attempt. The victim was identified as Clair Chaffin from Florida who received numerous military citations (including the silver star) for his actions during combat. Mr. Chaffin volunteered for military service while he was in the 10th grade after 2 older brothers were killed in WWII. Mr. Chaffin also spent over 50 years supervising various construction projects with the Veteran's Administration, and was on his way to meet up with other WWII veterans for a trip across Canada, when he was killed while packing his car after staying the night in a Florence hotel. The suspects in his shooting are also believed to be responsible for the robbery of a probation agent in Columbia, SC, during which they took her duty weapon and law enforcement credentials. Mr. Chaffin was given an honorary high school diploma by then Florida Governor Jeb Bush, as after a lifetime of service to his country and fellow veterans, Mr. Chaffin never had the opportunity to finish high school.

This is truly one of the most heinous and senseless crimes I have ever come across in over 15 years in the criminal justice system. Can you imagine surviving combat in Iwo Jima, for which he was highly decorated, only to be gunned down by a POS and his POS accomplice because they wanted that which was his? The website of the news agency where you can read more about this senseless crime and the background of a truly remarkable man who became the victim of 2 animals can be found at:

http://www.scnow.com/scp/news/local/pee_dee/article/deputies_investigate_shooting_at_a_florence_hotel/55221/

greenberetTFS
06-09-2009, 16:52
They should take these guys when catch them and hang them upside down by their balls....:mad: What a shame,to go thru WW2 and then to have your life snuffed out like that.......:rolleyes: We've got some real sick a*s holes out there....:(

GB TFS :munchin

SF0
06-09-2009, 19:19
Sickening, and I'm willing to bet they would have done it even if they knew who he was and what he's done for our country, assuming they didn't know at the time. I'm all for bringing back the gallows for scum like this, and dropping them down on the rope slowly.

Gypsy
06-09-2009, 19:20
Disgusting.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Chaffin.

Puertoland
06-09-2009, 20:08
Rest in peace, Sir.

jasonglh
06-09-2009, 21:54
Looks like 2 are in custody and 1 is a juvenile.

2 suspects charged in death of FL man at SC hotel (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1088699.html)

I hope the officers stolen duty weapon doesn't turn out to be the murder weapon.

JJ_BPK
06-10-2009, 04:05
RIP, Vaya con Dios

Richard
06-10-2009, 04:28
...by then Florida Jeb Bush...

Never knew Florida had once been called Jeb Bush. :p

These crimes never make much sense - they just are and always have been - senseless. :mad:

Fry in Hell you bastards - and RIP, Marine.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

FMF DOC
06-10-2009, 08:55
Juvenile or not ... lock them up and throw away the key....

swpa19
06-10-2009, 09:12
R.I.P Mr Chaffin

Looks like 2 are in custody and 1 is a juvenile

I agree, It doesnt matter. Adult Crime = Adult Time. Or more.

Utah Bob
06-12-2009, 12:36
Never knew Florida had once been called Jeb Bush. :p

Richard's $.02 :munchin

For a while it was.
And it wasn't pretty!;):eek:

tst43
08-18-2010, 14:27
The trigger man in the robbery and murder of Mr. Chaffin was convicted last Friday and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The only reason this POS did not face the death penalty is that he was 17 years old when he committed the crimes. The other two individuals involved in this matter are scheduled to go on trial within the next couple of months.

I was present in court when the Chaffin family spoke to the judge before sentencing. Mr. Chaffin, a silver star recipient, had delivered two babies while serving in Saipan, and was very active within his community. He was still doing one-handed push-ups and helping people roof their houses at age 83.

Mr. Chaffin was on his way to scout locations for a trip involving his 4th Marine Division brethren when he was robbed and murdered. My compliments to the prosecutor in this case, Ed Clements, who refused to offer any sort of plea bargain to any of the three involved in this matter.

LongWire
08-18-2010, 15:56
Thanks for the update.

Thank You Mr. Clements.

Thank You Mr. Chaffin.........Rest Easy

Gypsy
08-18-2010, 17:06
Thank you tst43 for updating us. I'm very happy to read your post, and hope the same or worse befalls the other two POS.