PDA

View Full Version : What should I focus on for math prep for 18C?

Soak60
06-08-2009, 10:45
Greetings.

I am a contracted 18-XRAY, looking for general (or specific, if it doesn't violate OPSEC) math skills I ought to be focusing on to prepare for 18C. I AM focused on the 25m target in regards to conditioning/PT, but I've already done most of the exercises on the FS site and am looking to keep improving. I was in college for Mechanical Engineering for awhile, I've taken up to Calc3/ Differential Equations (though I would rate myself as only being comfortable and proficient in up to Calc2 level math). I've also taken Statics and Dynamics, SoM courses.

Do I need to simply read and review what I have already learned? Or should I take the opportunity in the fall (Sept-Nov) and take more math at a local community college?

Thank you for looking. I attempted to search this under "math skills" "engineering math" and "18C math" and was unable to find the answer. If I simply failed at searching and you have a link, no need for a lengthy post here, just slap me and point the way.

A.

blue02hd
06-08-2009, 12:33
I wish I had a dime for every post like this I have read....

1. Concentrate on PT! Believe me you have not done enough.
2. Concentrate on learning how to be the best Private you can be once you hit Basic and AIT. Shoot for Honor Grad and maxing your PT Test.
3. Concentrate on passing ABN school with no injuries and without getting into trouble off duty.
4. Once you get to Bragg concentrate on the train up for SFAS.
5. PASS SFAS

Statistically speaking you will not make it past number 5, if so then:

6. Once you get to this point, then worry about what you MAY need IF you get selected as an 18C.

Good Luck
Read More
Post Less

bluebb
06-08-2009, 12:48
I am no math wiz and I was an engineer. Basic math(adding, subtracting, multiplacation, division, percentages and decimals) and you will do just fine.

But get there first like Blue02hd said.

blue(the other one)

cobra22
07-21-2009, 19:27
I start the Charlie course soon and all I keep hearing about is that calc and place is one tough nut. Not to mention the rest. I plan to go to Barnes and Noble tommorrow and buy some math books to bone up. I've been out of school for years now. Is there any specific type of math I should focus on. Algebra, geometry, or just basic simple math.

Dan
07-21-2009, 20:06
I am no math wiz and I was an engineer. Basic math(adding, subtracting, multiplacation, division, percentages and decimals) and you will do just fine.

But get there first like Blue02hd said.

blue(the other one)

I start the Charlie course soon and all I keep hearing about is that calc and place is one tough nut. Not to mention the rest. I plan to go to Barnes and Noble tommorrow and buy some math books to bone up. I've been out of school for years now. Is there any specific type of math I should focus on. Algebra, geometry, or just basic simple math.

I'll give you a hint...it's bolded! ;)

cobra22
07-22-2009, 04:59
Thank you.

DemoMan
11-02-2009, 10:07
I'll give you a hint...it's bolded! ;)

Hopefully they aren't allowing calculators! I wouldn't want life to be too easy for the folks going through the course now.

There is nothing quite like watching a table go flying when someone realizes that while reaching the end of a bridging problem...they made a mistake on step number 2...
:confused::mad::boohoo

bluebb
11-02-2009, 21:03
Ok I sent the table flying because when I fell asleep my bastard fellow students tied my boot laces to table. Damn bridge classifaction calculations is boring :o

Blue

DemoMan
11-03-2009, 08:34
Ok I sent the table flying because when I fell asleep my bastard fellow students tied my boot laces to table. Damn bridge classifaction calculations is boring :o

Blue

The Big MDL no no no...the little ldl...The...Nooo...Ok...wait...So if the Big MDL is greater than the ....No....FUCK....ALRIGHT...6.7984595/6467....Carry the 1....

FUCK!!!

Yeah...I flipped a few tables....

cobra22
11-08-2009, 07:41
For anyone getting ready to go to the Charlie course, focus on basic math as previously stated, however you also need to refresh basic formulas such as volume of cones and area's of circles. You may or may not get to use a calculator so be sharp on math. The majority of the guys in my class had issues with doing long division by hand. In retrospec not being able to use a calculator kinda forced you to understand the formulas and why they are what they are. You will definately be drinking from a fire hose so expect long nights studying. The instructors are hands down the best I've encountered so far in the course. They give up their saturdays and sundays to meet with students and help study.

C