PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Training

Squidly
06-03-2009, 14:23
Good Day,

A company by the name of Trojan Securities Int. was recommended to me as a good place to get some basic handgun instruction. I contacted the company and was given a brief course description and training dates. Based on info I gained by reading some threads here at this site I requested some background information on the instructor(s) and some verification of their abilities as instructors. What I got was the instructors are "British Commando Special Forces" that are currently on rotation in Africa and will return in time to conduct training on the course date provided.

I was curious if the board had any knowledge of this company and it's reputation. I didn't think much of the "British Commando Special Forces" title but perhaps that is acceptable in Britsh military parlance. I know that wouldn't fly regarding US Special Operations forces. If a US company had sent me an email saying that their people were "Green Beret Commandos" or "Navy Special Forces" I know enough to forget about it.

Smokin Joe
06-04-2009, 00:29
Good Day,

A company by the name of Trojan Securities Int. was recommended to me as a good place to get some basic handgun instruction. I contacted the company and was given a brief course description and training dates. Based on info I gained by reading some threads here at this site I requested some background information on the instructor(s) and some verification of their abilities as instructors. What I got was the instructors are "British Commando Special Forces" that are currently on rotation in Africa and will return in time to conduct training on the course date provided.

I was curious if the board had any knowledge of this company and it's reputation. I didn't think much of the "British Commando Special Forces" title but perhaps that is acceptable in Britsh military parlance. I know that wouldn't fly regarding US Special Operations forces. If a US company had sent me an email saying that their people were "Green Beret Commandos" or "Navy Special Forces" I know enough to forget about it.

Go see Paul Howe or TS. Why would you even think about screwing around with anything less? Time and ammo are precious commodities, spend them both wisely.

Just my .02 cents (And I've had the privilege of shooting with TS on a few occasions)

Hostile0311
06-04-2009, 01:23
Good Day,

Squidly,
I don't know about the company except from their website. It looks legit but then again looks can be deceiving. FWIW I do have a number of British friends who are retired British Army/Royal Marines. The term "Commando" is used to denote their equivalent to SOF forces and goes back to WWII, or so I have been told by my "mates". The only component of the British forces who use the term regularly are in fact the Royal Marine Commandos. Having joint trained with them on a few occasions they really like the title and refer to themselves as such, much the same as a Ranger or a Force Recon/MARSOC Marine would. They are proud of the title from what I surmise. I wouldn't be turned off by the term "Commando" because I know for a fact the Royal Marines are competent operators and know their trade but as Smokin' Joe said above there are others here on this board who we know for a fact are the real deal and would certainly be money well spent.
Cheers,
Hostile

Team Sergeant
06-04-2009, 07:29
Good Day,

Sounds like pure bullshit to me.

Great idea, let's use some British Mall security guards and call them Commando's, who going to find out different?

Just about everyone else is placinng their instructor bio's online, these ladies have nothing online 'cept what they offer the public. I don't know anyone that can "verify" a "British Commando Special Forces" individual.

I would not waste my time with them.

Squidly
06-04-2009, 09:44
I made another attempt to get some instructor info from Trojan and I touched a nerve. They refused to provide "personal" information on their instructors and were a bit tired of my requests (2) for enlightenment. It looks like I'll be going elsewhere.

I looked at Paul Howe's website and it doesn't look like he provides any civilian training. From the site: "CSAT offers combat proven training in all aspects of Special Operations Skills to Law Enforcement, Government Security Personnel and Military Groups." I looked through the courses provided and didn't see anything for a rookie like me in any case.

I wouldn't mind travelling for some quality training especially as that may be the only way to get it. Trojan was a consideration as it is only three hours away.

blue02hd
06-04-2009, 13:12
Be prepared to dump whatever training you receive from "other than issued" agencies if and when you get to a Team. ( British Commandos? Really? )

I can see why you would want sharpen your skills while you are a SF Candidate, but just remember that it takes a higher round count to correct a bad habit than it does to learn it properly in the first place. Perhaps taking a BASIC handgun course and simply running through a few thousand rounds on a flat range would be more practical if you are still a Candidate as your profile suggests. Once on an ODA, there is very little room for deviance from the training you will receive from schools and the teams. Lots of different techniques out there, but not once you hit the teams.

Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast,,,

Squidly
06-04-2009, 16:09
Gents,

I am not an SF Candidate. The Team Sergeant pointed out the title to me via PM today. I'm not sure how I acquired the it as I was 42 when I became a member of this site and had been out of the military since I was 24. Apparently my SA is lacking or I would have caught this myself. I did a search to find out how to change the title with no luck so I PMed The Reaper for some direction. I appreciate the replies.

Squidly

koz
06-04-2009, 17:10
There are enough highly qualified guys that own/run/instruct at good facilities that will gladly give you a resume' if you ask for one. I'd bet that someone on this board has worked with about every security/training company out there. If we (collectively) don't know about it, they're full of shit.

If you're going to take the time and money to go to train, get the best you can.
Don't let them give you "we're so secretive that we can't tell you our real name" crap.

Tiger Swan (http://www.tigerswan.biz/course_info/cadre.html)(Brian Searcy, Tony Copper, etc..) & Kyle Lamb (Viking Tactics (http://vikingtactics.com/)) both run civy courses.

Squidly
06-04-2009, 19:15
Thanks for the recommendations koz. I emailed both companies regarding their introductory handgun courses and will attend one of them.

I should mention that further communication with Trojan indicated that the instructors were former "Royal Marine Commandos" but that was the extent of the revelation.

Snaquebite
06-04-2009, 21:41
Tiger Swan (Brian Searcy, Tony Copper, etc..) & Kyle Lamb (Viking Tactics) both run civy courses.

Brian used to be my Jr. Commo. Great guy and good company. Just saw him a few weeks ago.

Would be my first choice.

wfraser
06-04-2009, 22:35
Give these guys a call and see what they say...

http://www.thortraining.com

Endorphin Rush
06-05-2009, 13:57
I made another attempt to get some instructor info from Trojan and I touched a nerve. They refused to provide "personal" information on their instructors and were a bit tired of my requests (2) for enlightenment. It looks like I'll be going elsewhere.

I looked at Paul Howe's website and it doesn't look like he provides any civilian training. From the site: "CSAT offers combat proven training in all aspects of Special Operations Skills to Law Enforcement, Government Security Personnel and Military Groups." I looked through the courses provided and didn't see anything for a rookie like me in any case.

I wouldn't mind travelling for some quality training especially as that may be the only way to get it. Trojan was a consideration as it is only three hours away.

Paul Howe does, in fact, offer civilian firearms training courses. See the bottom of the page at the included link:
http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/calendar.htm

He is doing the training for the rest of 2009 and has a few other training associates taking over the training coming up on 2010. The only negative is that he does not export his civilian courses, however, since you are willing to travel that should not be a problem.