PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Dental Kit

NousDefionsDoc
07-03-2004, 16:04
Click Me if you have a toothache (http://wildmed.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WMAG&Product_Code=EDK&Category_Code=MEDIT)

What do you think Saca?

Sacamuelas
07-03-2004, 18:30
Let me do some research on what you guys would have available and what it would cost a civy to purchase.

Save your money... I will be back after a little 4th celebratin' tonight...and tomorrow day....and tomorrow night... LOL:p

Sacamuelas
07-13-2004, 12:07
NDD-

Tell me how much room you want to dedicate to having a dental kit. In other words, how small a container the kit needs to fit into as well as what type of material the container needs to be made of for you.

Metal, plastic, or canvas rollup type case
dimensions @ AxBxC inches:munchin

You are looking for a "survival" type size emergency kit that would fit in your aid bag and not take up much room, right? This isn't something you want to have access to for anything except emergency patch and go while on the move, right? :munchin

NousDefionsDoc
07-13-2004, 13:55
I'll tell you like I used to tell NATICK

"It needs to be as small and light as possible..."

"Nope, still too big and heavy. Try again."

LOL

Seriously, dental emergencies are low priority to me in today's environment. Something like what's on that link would be good.

Sacamuelas
07-13-2004, 14:10
Working on it...

I may make you up a "care package"...will vacuum seal it and send it to you after I work out what you need. Interested?

IT WILL BE small !!! LOL

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-13-2004, 14:11
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I'll tell you like I used to tell NATICK

"It needs to be as small and light as possible..."

"Nope, still too big and heavy. Try again."

And that surpised you? Natick, a laboratory under the command of AMC, which stands for A Million Civilians, dealing with things like the Federal Acquisition Regulations that almost mandate that contracts go to the lowest bidder, has only ever been able to produce the fog of war. Didn't you get that nice warm and fuzzy feeling everytime you looked up at your inflated canopy when you realized that it was made by someone who came in on the low side of the bid and probably had sufficient minorities and disadvantaged workers to meet the federal requirements for the chute. :D

Jack Moroney

NousDefionsDoc
07-13-2004, 14:22
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Interested?

Always. LOL

SwedeGlocker
07-19-2004, 12:17
How about this:

http://www.dentanurse.com/homeuse.html

www.dentanurse.com/tubekit.gif

NousDefionsDoc
07-19-2004, 12:22
Looks good Swede. Good find.

Sacamuelas
07-19-2004, 12:31
NDD-
Still working on a small kit. Trying to improvise very small containers of materials without allowing them to dry out yet be easy to dispense prn.
I am putting the temp bond (has two parts) in separate 1.0ml syringes with caps. It can be used for splints, recement crowns, pulp caps,etc.

Working on an easy to dispense IRM container (eugenol ligid and zincOxide powder) for temp fillings.

Everything else is accumulated. Will be putting together a very small reference card (laminated) and then will get back to you. trying to fit everything into a toothbrush container sized setup for you but packing everything I can into that you might need.

Sacamuelas
07-27-2004, 19:27
Contents:

1 syringe each of Temp Bond Base and Catalyst(2+ servings)
1 syringe of Zinc Oxide powder (IRM base) and eugenol liguid (IRM solvent) (2+servings)
1 syringe of astringodent hemostatic agent
4 small bendabrush applicators
1 plastic spatula/mixer
4 coated mixing pad sheets
cotton rolls (4)
Cotton pellets ( @12)
occlusion marking paper (2)
wooden interproximal wedges
waxed floss @18" (2 strands)
double sided mirror (2 mirrors)

If you can do without the cotton rolls, then that will free up space for other things... I still have to get two sealed topical anesthetic (20% benzo on a cotton tip applicator) put in there and find a condenser for placing fillings.

This should allow for twp patients worth of emergency splinting of teeth ( temp bond or IRM ), pulp caps of broken teeth (temp bond or IRM), temp fillings (IRM), exam- foreign body removal, recement loose caps/crowns (IRM or TempBond)severe toothache (eugenol liquid on exposed pulp or benzocaine), etc ....

Anything else you can think of that needs to be in there?
Can't decide between a container as shown ( hard clear plastic with lid or a flatter/vacuum sealed packaqe which would be thinner but wider. Ideas?

Oh yeah, I will be making the instruction sheet soon. It will wrap around the outside of the container - making it look better and also allowing you to use the container as your instruction sheet as you work. I already marked each syringe is with a rubber color coded ring that should make ID'ing what's what easy. ( ie. orange rings indicate Temp bond base and catalyst verses the red ring which indicates the astringodent verses blue ring for IRM).

What do you think? pic showing dimensions(**EDIT to resize)....

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-27-2004, 19:44
I assumed that you pulled the magazine out of the pistol so that you did not have a misfire when you used the butt of the weapon as field expedient anesthesia:D

Jack Moroney

The Reaper
07-27-2004, 20:05
Good mag with rounds in a decent caliber.

How about some floss?

TR

NousDefionsDoc
07-27-2004, 22:47
Looks like a winner. Good job Saca!

I'm a little confused though, what do I do with the mag of rounds again?

TF Kilo
07-28-2004, 00:22
Well, see... the dental kit is for repairs after you had the PT bite a bullet because you didn't want to dig in the bag for pain meds for a minor lac...

Sacamuelas
07-28-2004, 06:46
LOL....
Well, I figure when you guys tell women "this is six inches" compared to what reality is...well, I didn't want any confusion. So I included the magazine so you have a size comparison without having that number conflict in your head.;) :p

THere is floss in there TR. Two strands of 18". Youthink an entire roll(100 yrds) should be in there?

I am going to tinker a little more. The syringes take up to much wasted space due to their length. Without that, it could be half as long....

SMALLER - SMALLER !!!:D

The Reaper
07-28-2004, 08:01
My mistake, I didn't see the floss.

How much more space would "more" floss take up? What is the most compact packaging for it? A card? A spool?

I am always looking for multi-functional items. The cotton makes good tinder. You could cut the barrels of the syringes down, but the plungers would still take a lot of room. What is the minimum number of syringes you need if the material were packed separately and you could reuse them? I have seen the dental kits with just a little mixing bowl, toothpick sized implements for stirring and application, and the ingredients in small containers.

If you do this right, you could probably sell them commercially, maybe even get a maker/vendor like AMK or aeromedix to carry them if they are an improvement on the current product.

Just a few thoughts.

TR

Sacamuelas
07-28-2004, 08:09
Things like Floss-
This is where I run into a decision. In one way, the dual use items like floss would be helpful to have a large quantity supplied for uses other than as a two patient dental treatment kit. On the other hand, most survival kits already have floss/small diameter lashings for these uses included in them so adding more to my dental kit would cause it to be larger than it "has" to be to get the job done and be redundant.

Thanks for the thoughts TR... maybe I should move this thread to private areas to prevent dental FAK market espionage!!! LOL :p

TF Kilo
07-28-2004, 09:56
Redundancy. Good thing. 2 is 1, 1 is none.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have, on the way to just enough :)