PDA

View Full Version : Beret Expert - AM, Take your blood pressure Meds Before Reading

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2004, 16:07
IIRC, the first SF soldiers wore green berets as a stunt to get JFK's attention on a visit to Fort Bragg. They picked green berets because they thought the Royal Marines looked cool. No-one was more surprised than they when Kennedy made it their trademark.

Good to know I spent almost two years working my butt off to earn a "stunt" that looked cool.

BMT (RIP)
07-02-2004, 16:45
Damn NDD!! I was only cool 11 of my 67 years!!!

BMT
Jr. FOG

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2004, 16:49
LOL

Amazing how many experts there are in the world.

Team Sergeant
07-02-2004, 17:45
Where did you get the quote from?

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2004, 17:56
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Where did you get the quote from?

ww..naw, I'm embarrassed to admit I was there. LOL

I thought it was cute...:munchin

QRQ 30
07-02-2004, 19:36
I wouldn't call it a stunt but I believe Kennedy's visit was the first time the beret was worn in formation and in garrison. Until then it was only worn in the field.

The part of coming from the British Royal Commando is also true. However, I think it had to do with heritage rather than "cuteness or neato".

As with most lies, exagerations, propaganda, etc., it is based on fact.

The Reaper
07-02-2004, 19:36
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IIRC, the first SF soldiers wore green berets as a stunt to get JFK's attention on a visit to Fort Bragg. They picked green berets because they thought the Royal Marines looked cool. No-one was more surprised than they when Kennedy made it their trademark.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to know I spent almost two years working my butt off to earn a "stunt" that looked cool.

Jackassery.

I am sure that news will come as a great surprise to General Yarborough who received the authorization and the original 1953 Green Beret designer, Herb Brucker.

The President called ahead to ASK if they were planning to wear the beret during his visit, and signed a Presidential authorization to make it happen.

What idiot posted that and where?

TR

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2004, 19:42
Boss, I respectfully refuse to answer on the grounds that I will personally receive an unmerciful teasing and taunting by the members of this esteemed body.:D

Sacamuelas
07-02-2004, 19:43
ROTFLMAO :boohoo

Team Sergeant
07-02-2004, 19:46
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
ROTFLMAO :boohoo

Laugh it up tooth boy.... Remember he who laughs last....

TS

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2004, 19:49
Da Hat Info (http://www.groups.sfahq.com/sf_heraldry/beret/emerson_to_center.htm)

LOL - Tooth Boy? :D

Nein mention of the of the Queen's Own 18th Homosexual Royal Commandos and Tank Guards.:D

Sacamuelas
07-02-2004, 19:50
Boss, I respectfully refuse to quit laughing on the grounds that I will personally receive an unmerciful teasing and taunting by the members of this esteemed body if I pass up these rare opportunities to return fire.:D

LOL

QRQ 30
07-02-2004, 20:21
Just to be accurate Special Forces was chartered in 1953. JFK officially authorized it in 1961. QRQ got his in 1964.

http://www.groups.sfahq.com/sf_heraldry/beret/history.htm

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2004, 20:25
Originally posted by QRQ 30
Just to be accurate Special Forces was chartered in 1953. JFK officially authorized it in 1961. QRQ got his in 1964.

http://www.groups.sfahq.com/sf_heraldry/beret/history.htm

LOL - DAMN! Ok, you win.

For now:D

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 20:34
Originally posted by The Reaper
Jackassery.

I am sure that news will come as a great surprise to General Yarborough who received the authorization and the original 1953 Green Beret designer, Herb Brucker.

The President called ahead to ASK if they were planning to wear the beret during his visit, and signed a Presidential authorization to make it happen.

What idiot posted that and where?

TR I made a knife for an extraordinary gentleman who is retired SF. His name is William Yarborough. DO NOT piss off the knifemaker who is honored with designing the knife who bears this mans name. I concur with Reaper, that's the history I have from a very good source.

Razor
07-06-2004, 15:49
10th SFG(A)'s first duty day was 19 Jun 1952.

QRQ 30
07-07-2004, 08:26
Originally posted by Razor
10th SFG(A)'s first duty day was 19 Jun 1952.

Thanks Razor. The 10th deployed to Germany in 1953.

Razor
07-07-2004, 14:32
No worries. :)

SP5IC
07-09-2004, 17:54
So how do you guys get that cute thingee under your user name. I'm just a retired 12B2S, that ought to explain why I had to ask.

Ambush Master
07-09-2004, 18:42
Originally posted by oldSF
So how do you guys get that cute thingee under your user name. I'm just a retired 12B2S, that ought to explain why I had to ask.

PM out to you. Please make commo.

Take care.
Martin

Scotty
07-27-2004, 12:29
I'll bet ya'lls weren't made by KANGOL like the ones in the RA today. Goes to show why so many young hooahs look like pizza chefs and hoodlems rather that Warriors.

Scotty

PS - I hear ND Doc is allergic to manhole covers, but cannot confirm at this time. Still avoiding 'em like the plague, Doc? :D

NousDefionsDoc
07-29-2004, 15:34
Of course I'm avoiding them. I've changed my PT program - I now am Naked Warrior! :lifter

Team Sergeant
07-29-2004, 16:32
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I now am Naked Warrior!

I think thats a little more information than we wanted to hear....:D

Scotty
07-30-2004, 13:48
LOL, while I agree it's TMI, I think we all expected it. :D

Gabba gabba hey, Naked Warrior. Beware of latinas with machetes!

Scotty

Solid
07-30-2004, 13:55
Beware of latinas with machetes!

*shivers*

:eek:

The Reaper
07-30-2004, 13:56
Originally posted by Scotty
LOL, while I agree it's TMI, I think we all expected it. :D

Gabba gabba hey, Naked Warrior. Beware of latinas with machetes!

Scotty

Worse yet, Smatchets.

TR

Scotty
08-01-2004, 16:24
Damn, Sir. I forgot about the SMATCHET! Good times.

Scotty

SP5IC
08-02-2004, 17:38
I'll bite, what is a SMATCHET?

The Reaper
08-02-2004, 17:46
Originally posted by oldSF
I'll bite, what is a SMATCHET?

Mr. Harsey!!!

TR

Solid
08-03-2004, 02:22
Wait... using proper nomenclature wouldn't that question read-

what is a SMATCHET! ?

:D

Withdrawing...

Solid

SFENGR
08-13-2004, 06:52
Guys,

If anyone wants to read the entire SF history to date, you may want to pick up (if you don't alreay have) a copy of , "Special Forces, The First Fifty Years." Is was pubished in 2002 for the Special Forces Association by Faircourt LLC.

Contact the SFA and ask them if they still have copies. The SFA address is : SFAHQ@aol.com

My questions about the beret - I have the ans is you're interested..

1. How many of you know how to select the right size and then shape it correctly so that it doesn't hang over your ear and face?

This is the biggest gripe I have about the newbies, esp now with the Black Beret given to all of the troops by SHITneski.
Also -

2. How many have ripped out the liner to make it cooler..and the 100% prize for beers -

3. How many have replaced the liners with parachute silk with an embroidered design..?

4. where do you stow it when in the field, wearing your Boonie Hat? And why?

De Oppresso Liber,

QRQ 30
08-13-2004, 07:23
1. I never had a problem with the Fleur d'lis. Shrinking can help.

2. No.

3. No.

4. Wall locker.

I always felt that 2 & 3 was for cherries trying to be "cool".:D

The Reaper
08-13-2004, 07:50
The new ones have no liners.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
08-13-2004, 08:08
1. Yes
2. Yes, not the one I have left though. I know about the prize as well.
3. No
4. We got away from taking them to the field. But left cargo pocket. I know why as well.

How'd I do?

QRQ 30
08-13-2004, 08:58
CRS struck again. I have to admit that at one time we were issued berets with a thick plastic liner. That had to go!!!

SFENGR
08-13-2004, 09:28
OK guys,

Here are my answers -

1. How many of you know how to select the right size and then shape it correctly so that it doesn't hang over your ear and face?

Ans - I was taught to get a beret that was 1-2 sizes smaller and stretch if to fit. That way, it wouldn't have the damn overhang that you see on some troopers - both SF, Ranger, and Airborne don't seem to have not passed this trick along.

This is the biggest gripe I have about the newbies, esp now with the Black Beret given to all of the troops by SHITneski.
Also -

2. How many have ripped out the liner to make it cooler..and the 100% prize for beers -

Like Tery indicated, the old style had either a plastic liner or something that looked like quilted insulation. Too damn hot in the sub or tropical areas if you were in garrsion.

3. How many have replaced the liners with parachute silk with an embroidered design..?

I lot of the guys on Oki did that simply because they could. We had a bunch of people that catered to SF, makng Tigers, plaques, special gear that couldn't be bought or procured thru the S-4. I guess we felt that it made the beret unique. I have a dragon in mine along with my name and SSAN.

4. where do you stow it when in the field, wearing your Boonie Hat? And why?

I usually stowed it in my right leg pocket, only because I'm right handed. It was to provide instant recognition to the friendly FACs or other airborne dudes looking of the bad guys. If all you had was your boonie hat, you could easily be mistaken for the bad guys. SAMO SAMO in Iraq and Afghanland I would imagine.

Perhaps Terry had it easier and left his in the locker because he was a commo dude and had instant commo withthe flyboys. HEH HEH.

QRQ 30
08-13-2004, 09:39
Actually, I spent most of my time in RVN as a RT Team leader. We were easy to recognize from the air. We were usually the guys in the middle and the bad guys were all around us.:eek:

SFENGR
08-13-2004, 10:24
Terry,

Understand. At Camp Hardy, we trained the guys going South to carry the beret along with penflares and other unique signalling devices. Anything that would give us an edge over the VC and NVA was provided as Lesson Learned input for those deploying.

It seesm that even thought the Groups often shared info, some of the fieldcraft was still uinique to a particluar Group.

Any comments on that from the 5th, 7th and 10th Gp guys?

Solid
08-13-2004, 11:10
Is there a good instruction manual on wearing the Beret anywhere online? I've seen several, but I'm not sure how up-to-speed they are. It seems many people make mistakes, I'd love to see how to wear them properly, with the honor and dignity they deserve.

Thank you,

Solid

The Reaper
08-13-2004, 12:01
Originally posted by Solid
Is there a good instruction manual on wearing the Beret anywhere online? I've seen several, but I'm not sure how up-to-speed they are. It seems many people make mistakes, I'd love to see how to wear them properly, with the honor and dignity they deserve.

Thank you,

Solid

Do you have a beret, Solid?

TR

Solid
08-13-2004, 12:50
I'm afraid they might issue me one, yes.

Solid

The Reaper
08-13-2004, 12:57
Originally posted by Solid
I'm afraid they might issue me one, yes.

Solid

They are worn differently over there.

I would prefer to earn one, rather than having it issued, but then again, that is just me.

TR

Solid
08-13-2004, 13:02
TR,
No doubt about that, whatsoever.

Thank you,

Solid

SFENGR
08-13-2004, 19:04
Solid,

A quick primer in wearing any Beret:

1. Get one that is a size smaller - this prevents a lot of the overhang that you see on some troops.

2. Learn to position it on your head so that the Flash is over your left eye. Use your hand to verify its location.

3. The leather head band should be horizontal, about a half inch - give or take from your eyebrow.

Good Luck, and as TK said - It's far better if you earned it!

De Oppresso Liber

Tuukka
08-14-2004, 07:32
In addition to the sound advice already given.

What i did with mine was to get it wet and then shape all the dents and so forth, smooth and to fit it to your own head size/shape. So when worn, it did not look like you were baking a pizza....

SFENGR
08-14-2004, 08:02
Thanks Tuukka,

Good advice - I had forgotten that important point.

I notice from your profile that you are a Fin in the Finnish army?

What service uses berets over there?

QRQ 30
08-14-2004, 08:14
In general, most enlisted members, worldwide, wear berets. Staff NCO's and Officers tend to wear different headgear. That is why I wonder at all of the sudden concern for fashion. Special Forces is IN the head not ON it. I have seen NCO's wear their berets looking like they just stepped off of the HMS Pinafore. It wouldn't behoove to say anything about them unless you want to become a foot shorter.:(

Tuukka
08-14-2004, 08:33
Originally posted by SFENGR
Thanks Tuukka,

Good advice - I had forgotten that important point.

I notice from your profile that you are a Fin in the Finnish army?

What service uses berets over there?

Need to update the profile it seems, got out of the Army in July.
Completed my national service, 2nd Lt in the reserve now, recon.

The Army as a whole adopted the beret in the early/mid 90s. The color is green.

The first beret users were the Paratroopers, who adopted the red beret in the early 60s.

The only ones earning their berets these days are the Paratroopers and Coastal Rangers (lighter green color).

SFENGR
08-14-2004, 13:55
Terry,

About the only time I worried about how I looked, was around garrison where the brass would be watching you real close, esp if you just came out of the field or weree going to a parade.

I guess I look at the concept of wearing the beret correctly as one of pride for accomplishing earning it. Remember the saying, "If you look bad in your uniform, it reflects on the unit."

Tuukka, Nice talking to you, and I hope that you can visit our SF Teamhouse website at url: http://teamhouse.tni.net.

PS - I opened you website and dsicovered it was in Finnish - silly me for thinking it would be in English - HEH HEH.

De Oppresso Liber

Tuukka
08-15-2004, 14:43
Yes, i have visited that particular site in the past.

That Finnish link took you to the pages of the local weapons shop where i was employed, i now work for a sound suppressor manufacturer in the same city out here.

QRQ 30
08-15-2004, 15:19
Sorry for my sarcasm. In keeping with the title of the thread I have taken my blood pressure meds, The original leadf in to this thread follows:

IIRC, the first SF soldiers wore green berets as a stunt to get JFK's attention on a visit to Fort Bragg. They picked green berets because they thought the Royal Marines looked cool..

Now the thread has digressed to looking "Cool" and proper. It should be renamed "Powder Room Conversations: discussing the proper way to adjust one's bra to look "Cool".

Off for some more meds. See ya on another thread.:lifter

Solid
08-15-2004, 15:42
SFENGR,
Thank you for that guide, I will apply those rules where I can.

Solid

QRQ 30
08-15-2004, 16:00
Sorry Folks: I took my meds. I'm just showing my age. We too had discussions like this while I was in training. After that, though, the beret became a piece of uniform and the only ones concerned about HOW it looked seemed to reside in HHC and Signal Company.

Scotty
08-19-2004, 10:11
As far as shaping goes, do they still make those styrofoam heads in various sizes? I knew some hooahs that would get their size styrofoam heads (used to sell wigs, hats, etc in the 60s/70s) and properly place the beret after fitting to their own melon and tying it off.

After shaving that dog, they'd soak the beret, place it on the styrofoam head and shape it just so then leave it in the freezer. Thaw, rinse and repeat until it sticks.

Just my 1½¢

Scotty