PDA

View Full Version : GPS Satellites..............


greenberetTFS
05-25-2009, 06:13
Heard on the early news this morning that the satellites up there now are aging (some 13 out of 31 are 4 years over their life expectancy). :eek: The replacements aren't ready to put up yet and they are also over budget...... :rolleyes: Imagine that, a military contract not ready and over budget, unbelievable isn't it! The only reason that I'm posting this is our young SF tigers to be are going to have to learn to read a compass and map if this GPS system isn't going to be accurate in the future.......;)

GB TFS :munchin

SF_BHT
05-25-2009, 09:53
Well I never have given up on Map and compass. When we started using GPS I always stressed that we needed to use the map and compass. Even today I never go out without them. What happens when your battery's go out....hummmmm Well that happened to a group this year and they called for helps to look for them..... They planned the Opn, put all their points into the GPS and did not have a compass or usable map. FYI They were cops not military....

Ref the old Satellites, I am sure that they will get new ones up before any real degradation is seen. Well this is as long as the Great O does not cut more from our defense budget.

Richard
05-25-2009, 10:07
I've always been an advocate for teaching the tried-and-true ways of doing something - and then add technology to show how much easier it can be...when everything is functioning. We used to refer to this as "Stubby Pencil Drill" - when technology fails, you've got to be able to function by doing it the old fashioned way or you're worthless.

Richard's $.02 :munchin