PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with Memorial Project

Threeofclubs
05-22-2009, 01:29
It is not my intent to use this forum for frivolous pursuits, but I have hit a wall of sorts and can find no local or online resources that can help me in a timely manner. Please forgive me if it is an imposition and circular file this thread if it is not appropriate.

My Mother recently had one of her brothers die somewhat unexpectedly. He was a Veteran of the US Marine Corps, Vietnam era, and his siblings had expected to have a military graveside service for him. Unfortunately, nobody looked into that beforehand and it didn't happen.

To try and address some of the guilt they feel I hit upon the idea to make a burial flag display case with a space for his rank insignia and replicas of his unit patches, awards & medals. The plan was to have it finished by Memorial Day, but life got in the way.

The hitch has been finding a place that sells the replica devices/patches/medals/awards etc. that has them in stock at a price that won't break the bank. I have found that most of it can be pieced together off eBay or memorabilia websites, but the shipping from multiple sources hurts the budget. A couple of places tried to help but had incomplete stock or could not promise when it would arrive here.

I am working off a paper copy of his partial service record and discharge papers. Any input is welcome. Feel free to PM me or email if it is not something to be discussed openly.

Enjoy the weekend and the holiday. With kind regards & great respect,

-Michael

JJ_BPK
05-22-2009, 02:59
I have found that USMedals has the best set-up and the prices ain't bad.

http://www.usmedals.com/StoreHome5.aspx?service=marines&res=1680

If you file a form 180, you can ask for a set of medals from Uncle Sam.. It will take about 3-4 months for Vietnam era vets and may take 6-8 months for earlier (WW II & Korea).

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html

Stop by your local VFW or Legion and the Service Officer can help arrange for a flag, grave stone, and a grave side service, at interment.

The Reaper
05-22-2009, 09:16
I use Marlow White, in Leavenworth, Kansas.

TR

Threeofclubs
05-22-2009, 17:06
Many thanks, gents. I wrapped up the hardware portion or this project for $40 less than I had figured. Asking the right people is rarely a bad idea. This will be a smash with Mom and I can see her siblings asking how much to get a copy for themselves, so I might be handing quite a lot more money to these vendors.

My best to you. -M.