PDA

View Full Version : Stab wounds

Team Sergeant
05-15-2009, 12:02
Just an FYI..... I've got a trauma surgeon telling me that they are seeing a lot more stab wounds recently and then asked "Could this be due to the lack of available ammunition on the streets?"

Something to think about.

TS

cornelyj
05-16-2009, 23:04
Guns also cost money, or you have to steal them from someone who had extra money to buy a non-food item such as a firearm... my .00002

Any more details? maybe a region or state? most interesting...

mojaveman
05-16-2009, 23:22
Just an FYI..... I've got a trauma surgeon telling me that they are seeing a lot more stab wounds recently and then asked "Could this be due to the lack of available ammunition on the streets?"

TS

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-17-2009, 05:53
A knife is always loaded.
Cheap knives are good Stick and leave as a parting gift.
And not lest is it's always better to "give" than receive.
One can deliver over a hundred stab wounds without stopping to Reload.

SPECIAL NOTE: In Tennessee it's against the law to have AMMO and a gun in the vehicle at the same time (even unloaded). But a knife is always loaded and no memtion on it's carry in a vehicle.

The Reaper
05-17-2009, 08:25
SPECIAL NOTE: In Tennessee it's against the law to have AMMO and a gun in the vehicle at the same time (even unloaded). But a knife is always loaded and no memtion on it's carry in a vehicle.

So driving to go hunting is illegal in Tennessee?

Based on the pick-ups I saw, there must be a lot of lawbreakers in TN.

TR

Doc Dutch
05-17-2009, 09:13

TS

Sir,

I have heard this in the past as well. The medical director for one of the big named trauma centers across town here in Phoenix had noted a dramatic drop from the late 80's and early 90's. The thought being, it is better to maim your enemy, giving them a permanent reminder of the strength of your gang's potential than to have the person dead. It is the "out of site, out of mind" credo. In other words, better if you give the enemy a colostomy or leave them with an amputation or brain injured and therefore scare them into submission and demonstrate your gang's power.

He also noted that he felt that the gangs were involved with so much death that there was a rebound effect and that less violent weapons were being used as a result. I am not sure I believe this one. I do not think this is human nature to use less because you somehow sympathize with your enemy gang member. In fact, new member's join with each generation.

I do see a lot of stab wounds. Not sure if my trauma group is seeing less gunshot wounds but have not heard this from the other trauma centers in Phoenix as a whole. As we are on the border and the drug violence and human trafficking is very bad, I doubt this is the case but could ask.

Finally, in terms of ammunition availability, human nature will be to seek it out. Even if the government somehow increases the cost or starts a new ban on ammo or guns, there will be middle men and people willing to make money getting ammunition to those that want it bad enough for any purpose.

Thanks,

MRM

swpa19
05-17-2009, 10:13
In this area (Pittsburgh area) there is no marked increase in stabbings over firearm attacks. There is however a 28% increase in violent crimes though. The Pittsburgh Violent Crimes Task Force attributes this rise to what they call the expansion of "mini gangs".

Dont ask me what mini gangs are. IMHO they're just dangerous wannabes.

The rise in these crimes seems to be primarily limited to the inner city, and low income areas.

ZonieDiver
05-17-2009, 10:46
In this area (Pittsburgh area) there is no marked increase in stabbings over firearm attacks. There is however a 28% increase in violent crimes though. The Pittsburgh Violent Crimes Task Force attributes this rise to what they call the expansion of "mini gangs".

Dont ask me what mini gangs are. IMHO they're just dangerous wannabes.

The rise in these crimes seems to be primarily limited to the inner city, and low income areas.

Maybe something like this...

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-17-2009, 12:30
Yeah TS, here they will fine you for the ammo being with the weapon. one must be inthe trunk or removed from the weapon by a partition. It's presently being debated in the house/senate.

swpa19
05-17-2009, 12:46
ZONIE

I just spit coffee all over my keyboard. YOU are not a well person :D

incarcerated
05-17-2009, 22:45
2-Strikers shying away from guns to avoid a third strike on a weapons charge/parole violation?
Are the stabbings another manifestation of the general destabilization and crazy behavior that seems to be accompanying the economic downturn?
Both?

Doc Dutch,
are you able to see any trends in the victim profiles or the circumstances of their attacks? Were the stabbings gang related? Drug related? Prior criminal history of the victims? Are these victims essentially the same people who would ordinarily be getting treated for GSW? Has there been a decline in GSW patients, or are those numbers steady?
What are you LEOs seeing out there?

Maybe something like this...

Dang it, Zonie...now I'll have to find another avatar...:boohoo:rolleyes:

Pete S
05-17-2009, 23:01
A knife is always loaded.
Cheap knives are good Stick and leave as a parting gift.
And not lest is it's always better to "give" than receive.
One can deliver over a hundred stab wounds without stopping to Reload.

I always carry two folders while on campus because of the gun rules there.

While I appreciate the ability to preform successive hits without reloading,
getting into a scuffle with a hepatitis and HIV ridden crackhead isn't something I want to have happen with only a blade.

6.8SPC_DUMP
05-18-2009, 01:14

TS

I'm not an authority, but my gut says no, it's economic.

If gang bangers really are low on ammo, OR can't get any (which I doubt); they would just cut down on range time. (Rented guns from the firing line - so they don't have to get fingerprinted - for a registered piece they wouldn't use any way.)

But even if I'm right - it doesn't mean the implication of your thread isn't dead on. The Brit's stabbing deaths are at 30 year highs, with their "gun safety measures" in place, as of the start of '09. source (http://www.insight-security.com/facts-knife-crime-stats.htm)

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-18-2009, 08:42
Hey you're doing fine in that line of thinking. However you can't do a blood test on anyone attacking you. Yes a shotgun would work better. You can throw a knive if you have to, in order to break contact. Hang in there bro, sounds like you got it together. Blitzzz

TOMAHAWK9521
05-18-2009, 11:54
ZONIE,

I'd steer well clear of guys like that. They are world-class masters of "small-arms combat".

SMP9168
05-18-2009, 20:37
Edged weapons are a favorite among the homeless/transients. Stabbings often ocurr in and around the homeless shelters. Reports indicate that the homeless rate is rising. Another possible correlation?

incarcerated
05-24-2009, 12:15
Local PD informally reports stabbings have doubled since this time last year.

Sacamuelas
05-24-2009, 12:33
Gentlemen-

While the TS can start topics or cause hijacks anywhere on this site that he deems appropriate.... this is the medical forum. Let's not get to far off the topic of the practice of medicine or lessons learned.

For future posts in THIS original medical forum thread, let's get back to medicine. The same thread will be copied to general discussions topic for the follow-up on the firearm vs edged weapon commentary.