PDA

View Full Version : Richard Strandlof or Rick Duncan?

csquare
05-14-2009, 12:09
Where is the money?

The leader of a statewide veterans group who fought for homeless veterans in Colorado Springs was in the Denver County jail on Wednesday, unmasked as a former psychiatric patient who posed as a wounded Marine officer and 9/11 survivor.
Federal authorities are looking into whether Rick Duncan, whose real name is Richard Glen Strandlof, could have pilfered money he raised in the name of Colorado More..veterans, said Daniel Warvi of the Colorado Veterans Alliance (CVA), the group that Duncan founded.
"We were all taken aback," Warvi said.
Strandlof, 31, who invented the name Duncan and claimed he was a former Marine captain and 1997 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, never served in the military and falsely claimed that he was in the Pentagon during the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the group said.
Two members of CVA said the group became suspicious of the man they knew as Duncan after discovering inconsistencies in his personal story.
In a search of the Colorado Secretary of State's Office records, for example, they found that the name Colorado Veterans Alliance had been reserved by "Rick Strandlof," whom they had never met, the group said.
The group said it found that Strandlof had been a patient in a mental hospital in Washoe County, Nev., at the time of the roadside bombing in Fallujah, Iraq, that he claimed left him severely wounded.
CVA members contacted the FBI field office in Denver, which opened an investigation in early May and arrested him Tuesday night in downtown Denver on a traffic warrant originating in El Paso County.
According to Warvi, when an FBI agent asked whether he was Strandlof or Duncan, he responded "both," then requested an attorney.
Calls to the FBI Wednesday were not returned.
Strandlof was in custody at the Denver County jail in lieu of a $1,000 bond Wednesday.
He is wanted in El Paso County for failing to appear in court on a charge of driving with a suspended license. El Paso County sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Lari Sevene said Strandlof will be sent to Colorado Springs to appear before a judge unless he posts bond in Denver.
A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Denver knew Strandlof by name, but said he couldn't confirm or deny whether Strandlof is under investigation.
According to sources, federal authorities are trying to find out what happened to $25,000 Strandlof raised during a New Year's Eve event in 2006 in Reno, Nev.
Last year, Strandlof drew headlines in Colorado Springs - including in The Gazette - by threatening to sue the city unless it suspended city-sponsored cleanups of homeless camps that Strandlof claimed were victimizing veterans.
The city suspended the sweeps in October and is still sorting through legal issues related to the cleanup campaigns along the city's creek beds.
Strandlof also told his story in televised advertisements for Hal Bidlack, a retired Air Force officer and Democrat who ran unsuccessfully for Congress last year in the district representing Colorado Springs.
Bidlack told The Gazette on Wednesday that he never had a reason to doubt the veteran he knew as Duncan, who was a volunteer in his campaign.
"We didn't ask him, ‘You say you were a veteran, show me your ID card.' We just don't do that," Bidlack said.
He said he feared Strandlof's being exposed as a sham will detract from much-needed efforts to improve services for wounded veterans.
The U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., said the school has no record of a 1997 graduate named Rick Duncan.
Marine Corps spokeswoman Capt. Amy Malugani found no record of Strandlof or his alias Duncan serving in the Corps, and that the unit Strandlof claimed to have served with in Iraq doesn't exist.
Under his invented identity, Strandlof proved to be a popular spokesman on veterans' issues. He is quoted in stories as recently as March, when he was interviewed by The Denver Post about a measure before the state General Assembly to cut tuition for veterans.
He often spoke vividly of being in the Pentagon on Sept. 11 when a hijacked airliner was crashed into the building.
"The duality of that day, the good and the bad that I saw that day, are forever etched in my mind and in my memory," he told KOAA television in an interview last year marking the anniversary of the attacks.
The Gazette quoted Strandlof on issues concerning homeless veterans. The Colorado Springs Independent wrote about him in articles about veterans struggling to deal with their experiences in war and PTSD.
On YouTube, Strandlof appears in desert camouflage talking about his "wounds."
"I was involved in an IED explosion that killed four Marines," he said. "I have a plate roughly the size of a, like, cup and saucer on this portion of my skull."
In the video, Strandlof also claims to have had a hip replacement and to have "had a finger blown off."
Strandlof often spoke of his mistreatment by Defense Department officials, saying they dragged their feet on giving him a disability retirement.
Warvi said there was to be a meeting in Denver Wednesday night to remove Strandlof as the group's executive director. The group wants to continue its work fighting on behalf of veterans in Colorado, including efforts to find transitional housing in Denver.
The group has not conducted organizational fundraising to date but worries that Strandlof may have been involved in "personal activities" that have not yet come to light, Warvi said.
Garett Reppenhagen, a past chairman of the local chapter of Iraq Veterans against the War, said he saw Strandlof collecting money for CVA during an antiwar poetry reading at Poor Richard's Bookstore in downtown Colorado Springs, telling donors it would be used for shipping care packages to men and women serving abroad.
It's unclear if that money ever made it out of Strandlof's pocket.
"I think that everybody kind of gave him the benefit of the doubt," Reppenhagen said.
"Every veteran should feel betrayed."

Richard
05-14-2009, 17:38
The way these fungi keep popping up and feeding off of each other's horseshit, he'll probably hire ol' Samuel Braunstein - self-proclaimed Green Beret hero and defender of the oppressed out there in Connecticut - to defend his sorry a$$. :mad:

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Enos Ward (RIP)
05-15-2009, 00:00
I just don't understand people like that.

alright4u
05-17-2009, 01:40
I received several emails about this clown. He is one of many wannabes who want to play up to the media, and; be something he/she never was.

This punk makes MacBeth look like a Boy Scout.

They are all liars/fakes, etc.

greenberetTFS
05-17-2009, 10:17
I just don't understand people like that.

EW,

I agree,why do they do it? :rolleyes:

GB TFS :munchin

Utah Bob
05-19-2009, 17:36
EW,

I agree,why do they do it? :rolleyes:

Well for one, this jerk is a bonified mental patient. No doubt that's going to be his defense. There really needs to be a special jail for these assholes. I remember his blabbing on a campaign commercial for the Democrat who ran for Congress last year. So far he hasn't been charged with anything. There really needs to be a very special jail for these assholes.

Ambush Master
05-19-2009, 17:42
There really needs to be a very special jail for these assholes.

Like one with Roots for ceiling decoration!!

greenberetTFS
05-19-2009, 19:38
Well for one, this jerk is a bonified mental patient. No doubt that's going to be his defense. There really needs to be a special jail for these assholes. I remember his blabbing on a campaign commercial for the Democrat who ran for Congress last year. So far he hasn't been charged with anything. There really needs to be a very special jail for these assholes.

UB,

Your absolutely right,but TS said that the Stolen Valor Act is really a joke.....:rolleyes:
Vigilante justice seems to be the only alternative left........:mad: Disclaimer: That's my response,not TS's.........:p

Guy
05-19-2009, 21:24
Like one with Roots for ceiling decoration!!Sounds like torture, we can't have that can we?:eek:

Stay safe.

jillyz12
06-12-2009, 05:13
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/11/veteran.imposter/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Aoresteen
06-12-2009, 06:40
Send him to Leavenworth for hard labor. 20 years with no parole would be fair.

CPTAUSRET
06-12-2009, 07:02
Merriam Webster

Pathological

Main Entry: path·o·log·i·cal
Pronunciation: \ˌpa-thə-ˈlä-ji-kəl\
Variant(s): also path·o·log·ic \-jik\
Function: adjective
Date: 1688
1: of or relating to pathology
2: altered or caused by disease ; also : indicative of disease
3: being such to a degree that is extreme, excessive, or markedly abnormal <a pathological liar> <pathological fear>
— path·o·log·i·cal·ly \-ji-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

He says he suffered from "some severely undiagnosed mental illness".

That's more pathological lying.

Utah Bob
06-12-2009, 07:51
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23272&highlight=Richard+Strandlof

gagners
06-12-2009, 07:54
Enlist him in the Marines...

I'm sure his first "Devil Dog" Squad Leader and roommate would be happy to have him...

Barracks justice, baby.

greenberetTFS
06-12-2009, 10:24
Enlist him in the Marines...

I'm sure his first "Devil Dog" Squad Leader and roommate would be happy to have him...

Barracks justice, baby.

gagners,

I don't know why we don't see more Marine posers........Ah yes, this is a SF forum.... :rolleyes: Wonder if the Marines forum go after these posers as much as we do? ;)

PRB
06-12-2009, 12:29
Old trick... many of Jaques Kerry's VietVets Against the War heroes were total phonies too. His 2IC proclaimed to be a fighter jock w/ a bazzilion flights over the North and turns out he was a AF mechanic in Japan or something.
Course Jaques himself is a co*&^ucker par excellance himself.

Team Sergeant
10-03-2009, 08:24
Fake Veteran will face charges
Jen Marnowski Jace Larson
DENVER - 9Wants to Know has learned the former head of the Colorado Veteran's Alliance, who admitted to lying about his military service record, will face charges in federal court.

Rick Strandlof faces a charge of "false claims about receipt of military decorations of medals."

Strandlof gave his first jailhouse interview to 9wants to Know in June and admitted he hadn't been truthful about his military record.

Strandlof had claimed he graduated from the Naval Academy and received a purple heart after being wounded in Iraq.

An arrest warrant has been issued for Strandlof, who went by the name Duncan.

If convicted, he faces a year in prison and a $250,000 dollar fine.

(Copyright KUSA*TV, All Rights Reserved.)
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=124373&catid=339

Team Sergeant
10-03-2009, 08:24
Accused Marine imposter wanted on federal charge
By P. SOLOMON BANDA Associated Press Writer
Posted: 10/02/2009 05:38:25 PM MDT
Updated: 10/02/2009 07:00:47 PM MDT

DENVER—A man who brought attention to the plight of homeless veterans in Colorado Springs is wanted by the federal government for allegedly lying about being an ex-Marine and decorated war veteran.
Richard Glen Strandlof, 32, faces a charge of false claims about receipt of military decorations or medals, a federal charge that carries up to a year in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Prosecutors Thursday filed the charge and a judge issued an arrest warrant for Strandlof. He had not been arrested by Friday afternoon, U.S. Attorney spokesman Jeff Dorschner said.

Strandlof used the name Rick Duncan when he founded the Colorado Springs-based Colorado Veterans Alliance in 2007, according to an arrest affidavit. As Capt. Rick Duncan, Strandlof was quoted by many media outlets, including The Associated Press, before members of the veterans' group in May raised questions about his background.

Besides Duncan, Strandlof also used the alias of Rick Pierson, according to the arrest affidavit. Strandloff was a war protester in Reno, Nev., and coordinator for the anti-war group the World Can't Wait. While in Reno, Slater was part of an effort to bring a Grand Prix race there, according to the arrest affidavit.

A woman who answered a phone for a number listed for Strandlof in Incline Village, Nev., near Reno said it was a wrong number. No number was listed in Colorado Springs.

It was unclear whether Strandlof had retained an attorney.

Gregg Slater, a Lakewood police detective and member of an FBI task force, said that during his investigation, Strandlof said he never served in the military and had made speeches as Capt. Duncan, which were posted on YouTube. Slater said Strandlof said he had "pulled the name Duncan off of the Internet."

Authorities said Strandlof falsely claimed during some speeches that he lost four soldiers under his command and earned a Purple Heart medal in a bomb attack. During fundraisers with veterans, Strandlof also claimed that he had a brain injury, suffered from post traumatic stress disorder and earned a Silver Star Medal.

When asked at one fundraiser why he wasn't wearing his medals, Strandlof said wearing them "would appear egotistical," according to the affidavit.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_13473054

LarryW
10-12-2009, 13:53
Sweet justice...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/12/fake.veteran/index.html

Utah Bob
10-12-2009, 14:45
FBI picked him up on 10/09.:D

Utah Bob
10-12-2009, 14:46
'Bout time.:D

7624U
10-12-2009, 15:33
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy

Thats what he will say about BUBA's body hair.

Team Sergeant
11-23-2009, 09:08
This shitbags days are over.

Many faces of 'fake vet' Rick Strandlof exposed

Written by Kevin Simpson of The Denver Post (see editor's notes at the bottom for noted reporters)

A tattoo of an angel illustrates his right leg. A devil decorates his left.

But a trail of deceit has stamped Richard Glen Strandlof with another indelible mark: fake military hero who misled veterans, politicians and voters. Many had bought into the story of Rick Duncan, the wounded soldier rallying opposition to the Iraq war and support for struggling vets.

Like the contradictory body art, Strandlof's story winds between malicious deception and actual good works. And it muddies the issue of whether his offense was simply that he fooled the people he purported to champion or that he broke the law.

He awaits arraignment in the El Paso County Criminal Justice Center in Colorado Springs on a misdemeanor traffic charge after his arrest May 12. And while the FBI is investigating possible fraud, no charges have been filed.

Strandlof, 32, spared no detail in his alleged resume: Annapolis graduate. Marine captain. Survivor of the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the Pentagon. Wounded three-tour veteran of the Iraq war. An American hero who, in his next act, would stand up for his band of military brothers on whatever stage was set before him — from the Capitol steps in Denver to the campaign stump.

He backed mostly Democratic candidates sympathetic to his anti-war views in the run-up to the 2008 election. Beyond politics, he worked on behalf of homeless veterans in Colorado Springs, an effort that earned him widespread respect.

But revelation of his charade last month ignited the military blogosphere — some of the more charitable critics have suggested his deployment to a combat zone — and prompted speculation on just how he could pull it off.

The deception was elaborate, cunningly conceived and boldly executed — from his command of military vernacular down to details like the bumper sticker on his car.

"Got DD214?" it said, playing off the popular "Got milk?" ad campaign in what amounted to an inside military joke. The bumper sticker referred to the official form issued on a soldier's release from active duty.

"I admit that not everything I said was as factual as I wish it had been," Strandlof told 9News on Thursday in the only interview he has granted so far.

He said he constructed his military persona based on real and fictional accounts gleaned from reading materials and movies. He also claimed that schizophrenia and bipolar disorder have affected his recollection of events over the past few years.

"When I talked with people about my passion about vets' issues," he said, "I believed that was the truth."

Army Spec. Garett Reppenhagen met the man he knew as Duncan at a veterans gathering two years ago in Colorado Springs. He remembers him as "spastic, a lot of energy, all over the place, an excitable person."

That night, Duncan related how he'd been wounded by an improvised explosive device during his second tour in Iraq. He told others how the explosion had caused a severe brain injury — a circumstance that seemed to explain his twitchy mannerisms and sometimes erratic behavior.

It never occurred to Reppenhagen, an infantry sniper who actually did a tour in Iraq, to dig deeper. Vets don't press other vets for combat details like that.

"You sort of feel like a jerk by even doubting someone," he said.

Besides, Duncan's intentions seemed straightforward. He sent care packages to troops in Iraq. He stood up for homeless veterans in Colorado Springs. He

Strandlof sits in the El Paso County Criminal Justice Center last week, where he awaits arraignment on a traffic charge. (Kevin Kreck, The Gazette Matt Arnold, 9News)advanced his anti-war politics by connecting with like-minded candidates.
He even launched his own organization, the Colorado Veterans Alliance, which he said represented 32,000 veterans on a massive mailing list — though the only visible members seemed to be a cadre of local vets.

He certainly talked the talk. Duncan mingled easily in the military milieu. And in some ways, he walked the walk.

"It seems like his heart was in the right place," said Reppenhagen, 33. "He was a really hard worker. He did a lot of good by raising a lot of awareness, but then you find out that he's a fraud."

Strandlof's unmasking began early last month and resulted in his arrest soon afterward in Denver on a traffic warrant from El Paso County. According to one of the vets who first suspected the ruse, an FBI agent asked whether he was Strandlof or Duncan.

"Both," he replied.

Reppenhagen considered him a friend, a brother in arms. Then, he saw that bond torn by the worst kind of betrayal.

And yet.

"I can't say I hate Rick Duncan for what he did," Reppenhagen said. "But I certainly never want to talk to him again."

The well-told combat tale, delivered by an accomplished liar, has become almost cliche. It has been known to yield any number of perks: a job, a date, a fundraising boost, a political leg up — even a free parking place via Purple Heart license plates. It can conceal character defects or even criminal histories.

"It's a great way to deflect criticism — 'I was a war hero for my country. How can you not like me?' " explained Loren Pankratz, a professor of clinical psychology at the Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, who testifies in court cases involving military imposters or veterans who inflate their records.

continued:

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_12537680

Utah Bob
11-28-2009, 13:43
And while the FBI is investigating possible fraud, no charges have been filed.

Alas, and probably never will be.More important to go after the WH party crashers.:mad: