PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/2 FLOPPY DILEMMA

swpa19
05-12-2009, 05:20
I have tons of 3 1/2 Floppies aquired mainly through the use of my Mavica MVC FD73, that used that format.

I just purchased a new Dell (Not overly joyed with this one, but the price was right). Anyway it doesnt have the drive for viewing the floppy disc.

My question: Is there an external unit that can be purchased that would plug into my current tower that would permit me to transfer the floppies to disc? Or am I going to have to find someone that has a tower witht the dual capabilities to do it for me?

Keep in mind that answers to this question should be kept simple.

I am not computer literate. And, I just mastered the light switch yesterday.

SF_BHT
05-12-2009, 05:35
Go to best buy or on the internet and get a USB external Floppy drive. I got one for $7 a year ago. With that you can download your files then store the drive for any future use.

Most new machines will not be sold with floppys as the industry is going to USB Pen drives like we used to use floppys.

Richard
05-12-2009, 05:36
BestMatchComputers.com is one source.

http://www.bestmatchcomputers.com/floppy-drives_c202/

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Pete
05-12-2009, 05:45
I use a USB external floppy drive on my computer.

Works great for getting files off my old computer (with A drive) and moving them to my new computer.

When plugged in it shows as your A drive. Simple to use.

rocknrolla
05-12-2009, 09:23
As mentioned, external USB floppy drive is the way to go. That being said, if you have anything of importance on these drives you should seriously consider transferring all necessary files from the floppies onto your computer and throwing them out. The 3.5 floppy is notoriously unreliable. In the meantime, keep them away from anything magnetic. Do yourself a favor and get a USB pen drive. If you have some extra cash to burn this one is pretty sweet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HECKLER-KOCH-HK-P30-1GB-USB-2-0-STICK-LIMITED-ED_W0QQitemZ310137816428QQihZ021QQcategoryZ36258QQ ssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638 Q2em118Q2el1247

vsvo
05-12-2009, 09:37
I have one which I would be happy to give to you. USB external floppy drive, plug and play. Like Pete said, plug it in and it shows up as the A drive. Please check your PM.

I was forced to purchase it for use with my laptop during my first year of law school to save and submit final exams. The following year, the exam software package was updated so that we would finally be able to submit our exams via the wireless network. I gladly retired the drive.

Since I inherited pack rat genes, I could not bring myself to get rid of it. Which turned out to be a mistake, because now when I rummage through my bookcase I often accidentally stumble upon it. Whereupon I become lightheaded and my stomach gets queasy as the memories of first-year law school exams come flooding back. Especially pleasant was the one time I forgot the damn thing and had to hand-write a four-hour exam.:boohoo:D

So you would be doing me a favor by taking it off my hands!:D