PDA

View Full Version : The Trap Has Been Set!!!

Roguish Lawyer
06-30-2004, 21:27
Came home to find yet another sign gone. Taken at about 5 pm in broad daylight! Boss briefed the gardener today, so I set the trap.

Mixed about 2/3 of the skunk scent bottle with a full jar of Vaseline, and spread it all over the sign. There is enough Vaseline on there to make it quite clear to anyone that they should not touch it. And if they do, that will just be too damn bad . . . :lifter

Here are some pix:

First, the sign from the street.

Roguish Lawyer
06-30-2004, 21:28
Opposite direction:

Roguish Lawyer
06-30-2004, 21:30
The posts are just COVERED with jelly:

Roguish Lawyer
06-30-2004, 21:33
Here is a bottom corner of the sign:

Roguish Lawyer
06-30-2004, 21:35
Here is a top corner:

Roguish Lawyer
06-30-2004, 21:37
Close-up of full sign:

Roycroft201
06-30-2004, 22:13
GO FOR IT, RL !!

And great pics ! How strong is the smell ?

RC201

Catwoman
06-30-2004, 22:23
Originally posted by Roycroft201
How strong is the smell ?

Pretty damn strong! I made RL take a shower after setting the trap.

Roycroft201
06-30-2004, 22:29
Catwoman -

LOL!!!! That's great ! Wonder what the folks walking their dogs are going to think. Better yet, I wonder what the dogs are going to do when they get a whiff !! This could develop into sitcom material !

:D
Roycroft 201

Radar Rider
07-01-2004, 02:52
Here's hopin' that the jackass thieves have a good time with that one!

hoepoe
07-01-2004, 03:37
Good luck RL!

I hope the vaseline doesn't send out the 'wrong' message.

LOL

Hoepoe

Solid
07-01-2004, 04:01
LOL now I kinda hope somebody tries to take the sign, see if this trick works!

Solid

Sacamuelas
07-01-2004, 07:01
ROTFLMAO!!!! Classic...Classic stuff...:p

Guy
07-01-2004, 07:20
LMAO...A lawyer shooting guns and booby trapping signs in California.

You hit em from the south...I'll hit em from the north, we will meet up in the middle and this liberal ass state will be ours!:lifter

Make sure you work on your Spanish...no way of getting around that.:D

Kyobanim
07-01-2004, 08:27
Note the attention to security details . . .

license plate is blanked out in the top 2 pics . . .

But in the bottom one it's not (I blurred the image). I can only surmize that the site of all the vasoline and the excitement factor had something to do with the lack of security details on the bottom pic.

Solid
07-01-2004, 08:37
Not necessarily blurred- I think it might just be the flash-reflection.

Solid

CPTAUSRET
07-01-2004, 10:08
RL:

You will probably cause some frustrated liberal to burn that sign in place, hope not.

Good luck.

Terry

Roguish Lawyer
07-01-2004, 11:41
Originally posted by Guy
You hit em from the south...I'll hit em from the north, we will meet up in the middle and this liberal ass state will be ours!:lifter

Make sure you work on your Spanish...no way of getting around that.:D

No problemo, amigo. :D

Roguish Lawyer
07-01-2004, 11:42
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Note the attention to security details . . .

license plate is blanked out in the top 2 pics . . .

But in the bottom one it's not (I blurred the image). I can only surmize that the site of all the vasoline and the excitement factor had something to do with the lack of security details on the bottom pic.

No, neither of those cars belongs to me or my neighbors as far as I know.

Roguish Lawyer
07-01-2004, 20:35
Catwoman reports that the jelly is melting in the heat and dripping off the sign. I'll inspect when I get home (very late tonight, unfortunately), but suggestions for mitigating this problem are welcome!

Bill Harsey
07-01-2004, 20:52
sorry, didn't think that part thru. Any shade? Also get a smooth sided object to use as a trowel and smooth the "frosting" out. I want the sucker to GRAB it!

The Reaper
07-01-2004, 21:12
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Catwoman reports that the jelly is melting in the heat and dripping off the sign. I'll inspect when I get home (very late tonight, unfortunately), but suggestions for mitigating this problem are welcome!

So now, it will be smeared on their shoes as well?

How is this a downside?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-01-2004, 23:02
Originally posted by The Reaper

How is this a downside?

TR

Excellent point, although I imagine it fell straight down.

As indicated, I'll check it out when I get home.

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 08:21
Been thinking, if we raise the melting point of the medium that holds the perfumed frosting, then it probably won't be the right stuff to come off on the hand. I'm starting to think of a nice colored tape all the way around the edge, so it looks like part of the sign and the frosting is under the edge of the tape so it squeezes out when grabbed. Here in this shop I'd put a straight line of tape on the edge, using a steel straight edge to keep half (the long ways) from sticking down, then use the straight edge to fold that half up, put the frosting down and lay the tape over it. The tape won't stick to the frosting but it doesn't have to. Try a white colored tape. Get a disposal cake decorator to apply the frosting in a straight line!

The Reaper
07-02-2004, 08:38
Excellent point, although I imagine it fell straight down.

As indicated, I'll check it out when I get home.

Where do you think people stand to lift something?

You do realize, Sir, that any welding shop could quickly fabricate a holder which could not be pulled up by hand, and would be sufficiently inconspicuous to provide hours of fun watching them pull and pull (assuming you put the camera up to cover it)?

Just a thought.

TR

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 08:43
Where do you think people stand to lift something?

You do realize, Sir, that any welding shop could quickly fabricate a holder which could not be pulled up by hand, and would be sufficiently inconspicuous to provide hours of fun watching them pull and pull (assuming you put the camera up to cover it)?

Just a thought.

TR Cheap angle iron, welded into a "U" shape, like a monster staple, and hammered into the ground to campaign sign heighth. The frame will be just big enough to fit the sign size. Now you can use the extension cord!

The Reaper
07-02-2004, 09:38
Pretty close.

Actually, I was thinking of an inverted 'T' with a box on top, but that would require some digging.

If he knew the site was free of utility lines, either would work well, but I would hate to interdict my power/phone/cable/water testing it.

If he goes the single long picket route, he needs a 'picket pounder' to go with it. Just ask the shop welding the iron to weld a cap on a piece of pipe slightly larger in diameter than the angle iron about the length that you want sticking out of the ground. Slip it on top and slam it up and down on the picket repeatedly to drive it into the ground. Short of power equipment, the best way I have found to stick pickets firmly in the ground, and pretty quick, too.

Then they will have to run over it to take it out.

Just a thought.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-02-2004, 11:03
It's not just the heat. We also have to deal with sprinklers! :p

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 11:46
Now he mentions the sprinklers... Don't worry, the sprinkler pipe underground won't hurt the steel sign post.

Roguish Lawyer
07-02-2004, 12:05
I didn't get a picture before leaving the house, but the sign is still plenty nasty. :D

Most of the Vaseline is in clumps under the sign, and it is quite visible. I think it still is a deterrent in that form and location. There is still more than enough on the sign itself.

flyboy1
07-02-2004, 13:31
Now you can use the extension cord!
Exactly.

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2004, 15:47
Make sure you work on your Spanish...no way of getting around that.

Consider your six covered.

RL - your target analysis sucks. Sprinklers could have been a critical path item. Heat too since you went with petroluem products. Try putting a little sawdust in the petroleum jelly to thicken it. :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
07-02-2004, 15:54
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
RL - your target analysis sucks. Sprinklers could have been a critical path item. Heat too since you went with petroluem products.

Mea culpa, Sergeant. I am the acorn that becomes the oak! LOL

It is still working, of course, but it looks like a bit of maintenance is in order. You think sawdust is going to make the jelly opaque and obscure the sign?

myclearcreek
07-02-2004, 15:57
Rubber cement. :munchin

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2004, 15:58
It won't any worse than that 10 jars of Vaseline you got smeared on there now. Doesn't take much sawdust.

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 19:56
It won't any worse than that 10 jars of Vaseline you got smeared on there now. Doesn't take much sawdust. Ok, Full disclosure, had some of that special Scottish water tonight. LMAOROLLINGONFLOORSIRNDD!!! You noticed that too huh?

Roguish Lawyer
07-02-2004, 20:19
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Full disclosure, had some of that special Scottish water tonight.

Tangent:

Drinking something else tonight, but we just finished the first bottle and are getting ready for #2.

TR:

I bought a new single-barrel today I had not heard of before. It was recommended highly by a trusted purveyor and it is even more expensive than our respective preferred brands. It is sold in at least five age groups; I got the 14-year to get started (that is the second youngest of the five). After I try it (not tonight unless instructed), I'll give you a full report.

TS:

Shouldn't we have a forum for food and beverage discussions? Or maybe just a leisure forum? Just a thought.

I'm going to go have another drink now. :)

Oh, the sign is still up and doing just fine.

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 20:27
Tangent:

Drinking something else tonight, but we just finished the first bottle and are getting ready for #2.

TR:

I bought a new single-barrel today I had not heard of before. It was recommended highly by a trusted purveyor and it is even more expensive than our respective preferred brands. It is sold in at least five age groups; I got the 14-year to get started (that is the second youngest of the five). After I try it (not tonight unless instructed), I'll give you a full report.

TS:

Shouldn't we have a forum for food and beverage discussions? Or maybe just a leisure forum? Just a thought.

Oh, the sign is still up and doing just fine. Sir Rouge, Yes we should have both food and drink forums here, the only problem is we may have to divide this into two distinct categories, (uh, those who can spell and then knifemakers???) I mean the highly refined and cultured like NDD and yourself, then the rest of us. You know, wine drinkers and bubbas. Very good idea!

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2004, 20:33
I mean the highly refined and cultured like NDD

Wha'd I do to you, you gotta go and call me names?

Sacamuelas
07-02-2004, 20:34
Me Bubba.. me like Bill's idea. Just a drinkin' one would do... that cooking stuff doesn't deserve its own forum(sorry TS) . Just take away that book forum and give it to drinkin' customers. LOL

Sacamuelas
07-02-2004, 20:37
Ok, Full disclosure, had some of that special Scottish water tonight.

Full disclosure... NEVER!!! LOL
Working on a totty myself ( rum tonight for a change):cool:

AngelsSix
07-02-2004, 21:14
Me three!! Jim Beam here.....I love this thread.....it absolutely blows my mind that people are so dumb that they will steal a friggin' poster/sign for a candida-ate. Damn it!!:D

The Reaper
07-02-2004, 21:22
Tangent:

TR:

TS:

Oh, the sign is still up and doing just fine.

In keeping with this potable hijack in progress:

If it is more expensive than Booker's, I do not think I can afford to drink it. AM and Mr. Harsey sampled my stash, I think they were pleased.

I have it on good authority that bourbon does not really improve past a few years in the barrels. Once it has been exposed to the charred oak from 5-7 years, it is done, and better quality can be achieved by sampling and selecting than by further aging.

Just what little I know about it.

I understand that Scotch connoisseurs feel differently about their aging.

Spanky, you need to try some of the higher end products. Drop by some time.

TR

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 22:23
In keeping with this potable hijack in progress:

If it is more expensive than Booker's, I do not think I can afford to drink it. AM and Mr. Harsey sampled my stash, I think they were pleased.

TR Sir Reaper, That was beyond pleased, we "was" Honored!

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 22:29
Wha'd I do to you, you gotta go and call me names? My definition of highly refined and cultured may be different from others.

NousDefionsDoc
07-03-2004, 07:43
My definition of highly refined and cultured may be different from others.

I know...

Roguish Lawyer
07-03-2004, 21:19
The sign is still up.

TR:

It's not that much more, unless you get the old stuff. Of course, I can't afford a Ferrari, but that would not stop me from driving one if an owner offered the opportunity. ;)

Sacamuelas
07-07-2004, 16:18
RL... is the B/C sign still up? :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
07-07-2004, 16:54
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
RL... is the B/C sign still up? :munchin

Yep. :lifter

The Reaper
07-07-2004, 17:04
RL:

I think a better quote for Edwards would be,

"What did he die from, and do you have representation yet?"

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-07-2004, 17:07
RL:

I think a better quote for Edwards would be,

"What did he die from, and do you have representation yet?"

TR

LOL, but I doubt he'd bother with the first question.

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 09:18
Looks like someone tried and failed last night! Methinks he stinks!

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 09:21
Another angle suggests there was a struggle . . .

Sacamuelas
07-08-2004, 10:09
Fantastic.......

I bet the lib is still cursing you right now. :D

The Reaper
07-08-2004, 10:48
Another angle suggests there was a struggle . . .

Looks more like a, "Damn, what is on this thing?!?!" Stomp!! Run!

I want video surveillance on that thing! PM me if you need an electronic surveillance expert.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 10:54
I want video surveillance on that thing!

Looked into it and concluded the cost was too high. Willing to re-evaluate if you think I'm missing something.

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 10:56
Looks more like a, "Damn, what is on this thing?!?!" Stomp!! Run!

I hope you're right. If you look at the jelly on the grass in the first photo, it looks like a bunch of it (in the middle) was picked up. A shoe could do that.

:D :lifter :D

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 11:00

How is this a downside?

TR

You are a wise one, TR-san.

Guy
07-08-2004, 11:33
Is this a form of "entrapment"?:munchin

Bill Harsey
07-08-2004, 12:51
Tooooo good! Any "frosting" tracks leading away? I read from the picture they REALLY didn't like what they grabbed!

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 13:11
Tooooo good! Any "frosting" tracks leading away? I read from the picture they REALLY didn't like what they grabbed!

I'll check later. Had my kid with me when I took the pix, and I was more concerned about keeping him away from the sign than gathering evidence. My bad.

Bill Harsey
07-08-2004, 13:26
In picture no. 1, are those finger prints in the frosting on the sign?

Kyobanim
07-08-2004, 13:44
Willing to re-evaluate if you think I'm missing something.

You're probably missing a pretty funny show! :D Go for the camera!

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 13:58
You're probably missing a pretty funny show! :D Go for the camera!

Not at the prices we talked about before! NFW!

Roycroft201
07-08-2004, 15:44
Great job, RL !

Keep up the good work !

colt1911fan
07-08-2004, 21:16
Too bad they got thrown out or I could have sent you some old cameras from discount stores. I think they are all gone now. I might be able to get some through a friend.

Have you considered running a camcorder into a video capture card in a computer? You could get some useable evidence that way. If you already have a pc and camcorder the capture cards start at ~35$ (newegg).

And damn that is funny, I can just picture them at home cussing you.

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 22:15
Ladies and gentlemen, we are back in business.

This time, with sawdust in the mixture!

:lifter

Smokin Joe
07-08-2004, 23:09
RL,

I'm thinking this one may get taken out of spite. If not taken probably severly damaged. I'm sure Mr./Ms. Stinky is none to pleased with you right now.

Be prepared for repercusions tonight.

Stay Safe

The Reaper
07-09-2004, 06:15
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
RL,

I'm thinking this one may get taken out of spite. If not taken probably severly damaged. I'm sure Mr./Ms. Stinky is none to pleased with you right now.

Be prepared for repercusions tonight.

Stay Safe

That is one of the two most likely outcomes.

The other is that they vow not to touch signs in your yard again.

If the same people come after this one, they will be better prepared. An excellent time to change tactics. Maybe fireworks?

TR

lrd
07-09-2004, 08:53
... Maybe fireworks?

TR RL, if you do, please record it. I'd be willing to make a donation to your effort just to see the video. :D

Air.177
07-09-2004, 11:10
That is one of the two most likely outcomes.

The other is that they vow not to touch signs in your yard again.

If the same people come after this one, they will be better prepared. An excellent time to change tactics. Maybe fireworks?

TR

Check This (http://131597.brightwebsite.com/store/products/Grenades,-Landmines--Bazookas/Landmines/-AO-BB10-Boobie-Bombs-(Case)_5631724.html) site out. It may be the same one that someone else posted earlier, and if it is, sorry, but there appear to be some reasonably priced, trip wire activated, user refillable mines on that site. Just think, Baby Blue Paint with Eau De Skunk mixed in for good measure:D

Smokin Joe
07-09-2004, 11:51
Originally posted by lrd
RL, if you do, please record it. I'd be willing to make a donation to your effort just to see the video. :D

Me too.

RL,

We need to start a collection / fund raiser / equipment donation for you. So you may obtain the necessary audio/video equipment for your survilence.

Maybe we can talk The Team Sergeant into hosting a live audio / video feed.

Of course you would suffer some loss of privacy but living in Kalifornia I'm sure your used to that by now. :)

Bravo1-3
07-09-2004, 12:00
I have one of these you could use:

http://www.addictedtopaintball.com/paintball_combat/

They're great for keeping Deer (and your neighbors punk kids) out of the garden.

Roguish Lawyer
07-09-2004, 12:04
Originally posted by Bravo1-3
I have one of these you could use:

http://www.addictedtopaintball.com/paintball_combat/

They're great for keeping Deer (and your neighbors punk kids) out of the garden.

Paintball grenades are not an option because the sign is adjacent to a public sidewalk and public street. I would not want to hit an innocent bystander or vehicle (whether parked or passing).

Absent that issue, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Air.177
07-09-2004, 12:18
Hell, You could just fill the thing with water. Anybody who set it off would probably be terrified of what kind of chemical agents the Evil Republican Regime had equipped their supporters with;)

The Reaper
07-09-2004, 12:19
Paintball grenades are not an option because the sign is adjacent to a public sidewalk and public street. I would not want to hit an innocent bystander or vehicle (whether parked or passing).

Absent that issue, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Well then, I guess a microwave with the door off and safeties bypassed would really be out of the question, then.

TR

Bravo1-3
07-09-2004, 12:26
http://www.central-alarms.com/alarms/agora.cgi?page=portable_.html

Attach the pull cord to the sign leg, anchor the other end into the lawn with a tent spike.

Watch the chaos ensue when the alarm goes off. You should be getting to the window juuuust in time to see him start looking for that skin he just jumped the hell out of.

Option #2 is to get a laser pointer and sit in your window with it. Laze the forehead of whoever crosses the "Line of Death" in your own personal Gulf of Sidra.

Smokin Joe
07-09-2004, 12:44
Originally posted by Bravo1-3

Option #2 is to get a laser pointer and sit in your window with it. Laze the forehead of whoever crosses the "Line of Death" in your own personal Gulf of Sidra.

Those are probably against the law in the PRK as well.

What about a mouse trap with a flashlight bulb attached?

Pull the sign, mouse trap sets off flashlight bulb. No harm only a bright flash.

You know this person is really lucky its your house they are stealing these signs from and not another member on this board.

Bottom Line: RL your to nice to this P.O.S.

myclearcreek
07-09-2004, 13:02
Originally posted by Air.177
Hell, You could just fill the thing with water. Anybody who set it off would probably be terrified of what kind of chemical agents the Evil Republican Regime had equipped their supporters with;)

...triggering a lawsuit for mental anguish and loss of work damages. ;) :boohoo

The Reaper
07-09-2004, 13:05
Originally posted by myclearcreek

Hell, if Msr. Moore is any example, they are afraid of work, water, (and soap).

TR

Air.177
07-09-2004, 13:07
Originally posted by myclearcreek

Any Mental anguish would be self inflicted on their part, All he was doing was watering his yard;)

myclearcreek
07-09-2004, 13:24
Any Mental anguish would be self inflicted on their part, All he was doing was watering his yard;)

Tell it to the judge... :D

Roguish Lawyer
07-10-2004, 16:32
Just went to the hardware store.

Sign was up when I left, gone when I got back.

Stolen in broad weekend daylight with the wife and kids in the house.

This time, it was pulled straight up off the stakes, with the two vertical stakes left in the ground unharmed.

So he/she should smell pretty bad. :lifter

New sign is up, but I have not yet treated it.

Roguish Lawyer
07-10-2004, 18:49
Just treated it using the jelly on the ground. Guess I need to order more scent unless tactics are going to change.

Honest answers, please: is this topic getting old?

Team Sergeant
07-10-2004, 19:17
LOL, no, drop some bucks and get a webcam. We'll host it here. Hell we'll have 50,000 a day watching your sign!

Smokin Joe
07-10-2004, 20:05
Welcome back TS!

RL,

Its not getting boring or old but I think I maybe getting more frustrated than you are. LOL

I think you need to change tactics b/c they obviously have the means and ability to take even a "treated" sign.

Anyone wanna give RL some pull wire igniters and some det. cord? :D

Seriously though change tactics and get a web cam going.

Kyobanim
07-10-2004, 21:00
Is an artillery simulator illegal? :cool:

I've got a couple of working web cams at work I will donate. Doesn't matter if they get destroyed. I will also donate webspace for a live feed.

This would be a great comedy show.

The Reaper
07-10-2004, 21:23
Is an artillery simulator illegal? :cool:

I've got a couple of working web cams at work I will donate. Doesn't matter if they get destroyed. I will also donate webspace for a live feed.

This would be a great comedy show.

No on the Arty sim, plus the whistle gives too much warning.

Neither is a Hoffman device, or a Weapons Effects Simulator, both of which are electrically initiated and much easier to use for this purpose.

I believe that if they are disappearing at night, that a simple open circuit looped flashbulb would be the way to go. That or a clothespin trigger.

I believe that RL already has the name of a good SF surveillance man.

Concur with the comedy show idea. Get several on tape and pass it to O'Reilly, Rush, Candid Camera, and the RNC.

Good fun for all!

TR

Denny
07-10-2004, 21:31
I would like to volounteer for first shift watching the webcam! lol:D

Smokin Joe
07-10-2004, 21:58

...I believe that if they are disappearing at night, that a simple open circuit looped flashbulb would be the way to go. That or a clothespin trigger...

TR

Might be a necessity that way we will know exactly when the sign is taken (depending on the ambient light).:munchin

The Reaper
07-10-2004, 22:00
Might be a necessity that way we will know exactly when the sign is taken (depending on the ambient light).:munchin

That or a burglar alarm siren and a set of floodlights.

TR

colt1911fan
07-10-2004, 23:49
How about nitrogen tri-iodide? Never used it but I have heard stories that make me go :D

The Reaper
07-11-2004, 07:14
Originally posted by colt1911fan
How about nitrogen tri-iodide? Never used it but I have heard stories that make me go :D

Some dog comes over to sniff the skunk scent or some toddler comes by the sign to recover his ball and they get a foot blown off.

Great idea. How about some mustard agent to go with it?:confused:

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-11-2004, 11:14
Another tried to take it this morning; got very stinky I am quite sure. The sign was mangled, not taken.

Ordered more stink from Cabela's yesterday, but will get to work on web cam set up assuming budget permits.

The Reaper
07-11-2004, 11:23
Another tried to take it this morning; got very stinky I am quite sure. The sign was mangled, not taken.

Ordered more stink from Cabela's yesterday, but will get to work on web cam set up assuming budget permits.

Unlike lawyers, my surveillance contacts do not charge for a consult or phone time.

Just something to think about.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-11-2004, 12:34
Unlike lawyers, my surveillance contacts do not charge for a consult or phone time.

Just something to think about.

TR

The cost issue is principally hardware.

If your first statement is correct, I suppose I have earned my screen name. :rolleyes: I do appreciate all the help. :)

The Reaper
07-11-2004, 12:46
How do you know how much it would cost just to get a decent video capture?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-11-2004, 12:49
How do you know how much it would cost just to get a decent video capture?

TR

PMs from various people, but I am still looking into it. I am concerned that I would need an expensive camera to get the required resolution and survivability (i.e. avoid theft of the camera). Copied you on an e-mail I just sent to your contact.

The Reaper
07-11-2004, 12:53
PMs from various people, but I am still looking into it. I am concerned that I would need an expensive camera to get the required resolution and survivability (i.e. avoid theft of the camera). Copied you on an e-mail I just sent to your contact.

Got it, thanks.

I do not think that it will be that bad, especially since you already have some gear.

How well illuminated is the area of the sign?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-11-2004, 12:57
Got it, thanks.

I do not think that it will be that bad, especially since you already have some gear.

How well illuminated is the area of the sign?

TR

For human visibility, pretty well from a streetlight directly behind the sign. But when I take pictures at night, my camera needs a flash. (Or at least it elects to use one.)

You can see the streetlight pole directly behind the sign in the first photo posted in this thread. The light itself is just above the top of the photograph.

Bravo1-3
07-11-2004, 16:47
RL,
For night use, color is a bad thing. B&W cameras are much better for night use. They have a much more broad band of usable light.

Color is better for heavy detail, but without some kind of NOD attachment, B&W is the way to go.

I'm still looking for that AC adapter too.

Edited to add:

What kind of glue do they use on Fly Paper? You could have great fun with glue that sticky, combined with Skunk Funk, and maybe some kind of audio alarm.

maybe just line the edges with these:
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/pick-flypaper1.htm

Team Sergeant
07-11-2004, 20:21
The cost issue is principally hardware.

OK, I'm in for $50 and PS.com will host the webcam (somewhere).

Roguish Lawyer
07-11-2004, 20:23
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
OK, I'm in for $50 and PS.com will host the webcam (somewhere).

Appreciate the offer, but let's see if I need help or not. TR thinks I won't, and I am making comms with his guy. Others also are PMing me with offers of assistance, so let's play that out.

(Of course, I'll accept the hosting!!!)

colt1911fan
07-11-2004, 23:38
Some dog comes over to sniff the skunk scent or some toddler comes by the sign to recover his ball and they get a foot blown off.

Great idea. How about some mustard agent to go with it?:confused:

TR

Sorry it was a poor attempt at a joke. I apologize for my stupidity. I will endeavor to remove head from ass before posting again.

Roguish Lawyer
07-13-2004, 11:02
With TR's help, camera is on the way. Just ordered this. Web set up underway. Tentative ETA for set up on my end is 2-3 weeks. :D :lifter :munchin

BTW, the sign is back up and heavily greased. It is at its nastiest -- the jelly is recycled from ground drippings, so it's nice and filthy. :D

Sacamuelas
07-13-2004, 11:34
I will not offer money up front... but I offer my services to monitor the CC TV. I think I am on this friggin site about 18 hours a day. LOL That is a bargain, I won't even charge you my hourly rate. LOL

You tha man RL.. This will be great. :cool:

Roguish Lawyer
07-13-2004, 11:37
You tha man RL.. This will be great. :cool:

The credit goes to TR, Team Sergeant and Dan. Kyobanim may get sucked into helping me set up the connection too.

I am just on a mission from God.

Air.177
07-13-2004, 11:39
The credit goes to TR, Team Sergeant and Dan. Kyobanim may get sucked into helping me set up the connection too.

GOD or GOP??;)

Roguish Lawyer
07-13-2004, 11:46
GOD or GOP??;)

Is there a difference? LOL

Please tell me you understand the reference. If not, you need to get out more.

Air.177
07-13-2004, 11:48
Blues Brothers??

Indeed

Roguish Lawyer
07-13-2004, 11:54
Blues Brothers??

Indeed

See, your Dad raised you right! LOL

The Reaper
07-13-2004, 13:08

I SEE THE LIGHT!!

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-13-2004, 13:27
I SEE THE LIGHT!!

TR

LOL

I'm glad I am not alone!

Air.177
07-13-2004, 13:42
LOL

I'm glad I am not alone!

Ah Yes, The chosen few. Sent forth to spread Foul smells and misfortune to all those who would oppose The Righteous Leader who is Dubya:D

LMAO

Kyobanim
07-14-2004, 07:52
Granted, this is slightly different, but what the heck . . .

Web camera thwarts Deltona burglary from the Orlando Sentinel

A Kentucky woman sees the 2 teenage suspects raid a house via the Internet. Both were later arrested.

By Alicia A. Caldwell | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted July 14, 2004

DELTONA -- A woman more than 500 miles and three states away foiled two teenage burglars at a Deltona home Tuesday, police said.

The Kentucky woman, whom investigators did not identify, watched the teens raid the house live via a Web camera attached to a friend's home computer.

The woman called the Volusia County Sheriff's Office at 2:11 p.m. to tell deputies about the break-in and described the incident in vivid detail as she watched it unfold on her computer.

No one was at the victim's home in Deltona at the time. The home's resident, identified by investigators as Leonard Meeks, could not be reached for comment.

"I would have called 911, but I'm calling from out of state. I'm watching a friend's [house] from a Web cam, and two men just broke into his house," the Kentucky woman told a sheriff's dispatcher. "They're in the house right now."

About two minutes after first call, the woman told the dispatcher that the thieves had apparently found the camera and put something over it to block her view.

When deputies got to the house on Ainsworth Avenue at 2:14 p.m. the suspects were gone, but a neighbor spotted one of the boys, a 13-year-old, in her bushes about 20 minutes later. He was arrested just before 3 p.m., investigators said.

More than an hour after that, a K-9 unit found a 17-year-old boy in the woods nearby. When that suspect ran, the police dog bit him, investigators said. The 17-year-old was taken to Florida Hospital Fish Memorial in Orange City for treatment of a dog bite to his shoulder, deputies said.

Investigators said they found electronics taken from the house along with a knife, which they think the boys used while burglarizing the house. It was unclear Tuesday evening what charges the boys would face, but investigators said armed burglary was likely one that would be filed.

Tuesday was not the first time a Web camera has helped police solve a crime, according to published newspaper reports. In March, a Washington state family vacationing in Washington, D.C., reportedly used a Web camera to spot a teenage neighbor who had broken into the home and was downloading pornography. Last November an Oregon car-wash manager watched as a thief tried to crack the business' safe. And in February 2002, an Atlantic Beach man used a Web camera to get pictures of a thief suspected of repeatedly burglarizing his home.

Smokin Joe
07-14-2004, 08:02

... When that suspect ran, the police dog bit him, investigators said. The 17-year-old was taken to Florida Hospital Fish Memorial in Orange City for treatment of a dog bite to his shoulder, deputies said....

Good boy! Good boy!

I hope that dogs has all his shots. Criminals carry the nastiest diseases. :)

RL,

Is you web cam going to have the ability for us to take stills on it?

So if we see said bad guy take your sign we can hit a button to get a screen shot of him? Or are we going to have to tell you the date and time of the theft with a suspect description?

Roguish Lawyer
07-14-2004, 10:03
Good boy! Good boy!

I hope that dogs has all his shots. Criminals carry the nastiest diseases. :)

RL,

Is you web cam going to have the ability for us to take stills on it?

So if we see said bad guy take your sign we can hit a button to get a screen shot of him? Or are we going to have to tell you the date and time of the theft with a suspect description?

I am going to try to have all of the video recorded on a hard drive.

Roguish Lawyer
07-14-2004, 10:04
Granted, this is slightly different, but what the heck . . .

Web camera thwarts Deltona burglary from the Orlando Sentinel

A Kentucky woman sees the 2 teenage suspects raid a house via the Internet. Both were later arrested.

By Alicia A. Caldwell | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted July 14, 2004

DELTONA -- A woman more than 500 miles and three states away foiled two teenage burglars at a Deltona home Tuesday, police said.

Those folks in Deltona do NOT fuck around! LOL

The Reaper
07-14-2004, 10:10
Those folks in Deltona do NOT fuck around! LOL

Roger that. Old Florida, Old School.

TR

Kyobanim
07-14-2004, 10:30
I could have sworn I saw someone on here from Deltona.

Roguish Lawyer
07-14-2004, 12:08
I could have sworn I saw someone on here from Deltona.

Yep, I'm sure you did. But he's one of those guys you see, but then he slips away and you don't know whether it was a man, a ghost or your mind playing tricks on you. LOL

Roguish Lawyer
07-19-2004, 11:29
OK, it lasted 8 days. Not bad. Came home very late last night, and there were just two vertical poles sticking out of the ground. This morning while driving to work, I spotted the sign in the street several houses down. Someone may have walked it to that point, but I think it more likely that it was thrown from a car after the bandit got a whiff of the smell or felt the jelly. :lifter :D

Will replace and regrease soon. Camera and video capture device both are en route, so we hopefully will have the web cam up and running shortly.

Hide and watch, wait and see! :D :munchin

P36
07-19-2004, 20:31
This thread is better than watching back to back episodes of 24!

The Reaper
07-19-2004, 20:35
OK, it lasted 8 days. Not bad. Came home very late last night, and there were just two vertical poles sticking out of the ground. This morning while driving to work, I spotted the sign in the street several houses down. Someone may have walked it to that point, but I think it more likely that it was thrown from a car after the bandit got a whiff of the smell or felt the jelly. :lifter :D

Will replace and regrease soon. Camera and video capture device both are en route, so we hopefully will have the web cam up and running shortly.

Hide and watch, wait and see! :D :munchin

That would indicate a repeat customer who wanted to be sure you didn't just put it up again.

I would say they missed the smell till they got it in the car. They won't be getting that out of the upholstery easily.

Been even better with a set of skidmarks and a pile of broken glass and plastic just beyond it.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-20-2004, 07:44
Check with the local dry cleaners for anyone turning stinky clothes and a gel stain that will not wash out!

QRQ 30
07-20-2004, 08:02
A local idiot tried to steal a "Confederate Flag" from someone's yard. The pole collapsed and landed across some power lines making instant Krispy Kritter of the perp.:D

myclearcreek
07-20-2004, 09:07
Check with the local dry cleaners for anyone turning stinky clothes and a gel stain that will not wash out!

...or the sanitation workers for extra-stinky trash on or near your street.

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 11:03
Video capture device has arrived. Camera should arrive shortly.

Roguish Lawyer
07-21-2004, 10:04
Camera just arrived. I don't know if I can set it up tonight, but I'll try. I think I'm going to need an extension cord, but we'll see . . .

NousDefionsDoc
07-21-2004, 10:20

Isn't he in LA?

CPTAUSRET
07-21-2004, 10:25
Isn't he in LA?

THAT's funny!

Terry

Team Sergeant
07-21-2004, 10:27
Isn't he in LA?
gel stain, not blood stain....

Sacamuelas
07-22-2004, 12:56
RL-

status?

I know you are TIRED... I will take first watch. :D

Roguish Lawyer
07-22-2004, 13:15
RL-

status?

I know you are TIRED... I will take first watch. :D

I have to go to Miami tomorrow, so I won't get to set it up until the weekend. Plus, we have company, so it may take more time than that.

I only have this camera for a 3-week loan, so I won't delay beyond our guests' departure on Sunday.

Kyobanim --

PM inbound.

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 13:30
I have to go to Miami tomorrow, so I won't get to set it up until the weekend. Plus, we have company, so it may take more time than that.

I only have this camera for a 3-week loan, so I won't delay beyond our guests' departure on Sunday.

Kyobanim --

PM inbound.

Swing through NC.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-22-2004, 14:13
Swing through NC.

TR

Believe me, I'd love to, but this is going to have to be a day trip. Catwoman's best friend is coming into town with her husband, and I have to get home for the weekend.

Yep, early morning flight to Miami, 4 p.m. court appearance, then back home. You wanna run with the big dogs, you gotta pay the price! LOL

But this will give me the chance to finish a very interesting paper I'm reading and then maybe start Billy Waugh's book . . .

Roguish Lawyer
07-25-2004, 19:11
Set up a new sign last night. Got a hit this afternoon! Unfortunately, camera is not yet set up. But here is a still showing the failed attempt by a now-smelly lib:

Roguish Lawyer
07-27-2004, 11:28
Update:

Needed a longer wire to the camera to get it into position. It is being shipped today. Web cam software is installed. Camera is feeding properly to the computer.

I'm going to install the camera in a birdhouse in a tree above where the sign is. Will have to clear out some plants to ensure clear field of vision for the camera, but I think this is going to work. Should have the thing installed and operating by mid-week.

:lifter :munchin

The Reaper
07-27-2004, 11:36
We need a new thread with a poll on when, if ever you will have the video up and running.

Won't be half as funny (or as useful) after the election.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
07-27-2004, 12:01
Only took Ted Kennedy slightly longer to call the police than its taking RL to get video up and running.:D

The Reaper
07-30-2004, 10:38
Only took Ted Kennedy slightly longer to call the police than its taking RL to get video up and running.:D

Well, RL, where are we on this?

You just stringing us along?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-30-2004, 12:03
Well, RL, where are we on this?

You just stringing us along?

TR

Your man is sending me a wire I need. When I get it, I can set it up. The wire I have now is not long enough to reach the camera location, and it is not commercially available.

The Reaper
07-30-2004, 12:16
Your man is sending me a wire I need. When I get it, I can set it up. The wire I have now is not long enough to reach the camera location, and it is not commercially available.

You should have just sent him a plane ticket and told him to come set it up.

Probably tax-deductible for an attorney.:D

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-30-2004, 13:20
You should have just sent him a plane ticket and told him to come set it up.

Probably tax-deductible for an attorney.:D

TR

You know what I sent him. He was grateful to receive it, but do you suppose it might have something to do with the delay in shipment? LOL

I'm hoping to get it today. I will set it up this weekend if I get it. Had another hit yesterday; a shame we're not capturing these things on film. With all these libs around me, it's like I'm fishing in a damn trout farm.

Roguish Lawyer
10-30-2014, 09:00
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/29/police-issue-arrest-warrant-for-husband-of-dem-state-senator-after-campaign-volunteers-catch-him-red-handed-on-video/

The Reaper
10-30-2014, 10:48
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/29/police-issue-arrest-warrant-for-husband-of-dem-state-senator-after-campaign-volunteers-catch-him-red-handed-on-video/

I believe that is the longest necropost on record here. :D

The story reads better if they didn't misspell "Delaware" twice at the end of the story.

Did you ever catch anything in your trap?

TR

Team Sergeant
10-31-2014, 14:35
While I was living in South Carolina some idiot placed three dem signs on my property. It was an acre on a major road and was an untouched wood line, we lived on the other acre. When I saw the signs I stopped and took them down, in broad daylight.

Someone was watching and they came rushing up to me yelling to "put them back!" I looked them in the face and said, "over my dead body." The guy looked like I just slapped him, He said "Those are not yours to take." I told him it was my land and this is trash and if I saw them again on my property I'd call the police. He just walked away.....

I think I was still on active duty. ;)

Roguish Lawyer
04-01-2016, 17:06
I just obtained Ted Cruz signs. There will be a new approach this time. Stay tuned . . . :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
04-03-2016, 10:55
Here is the setup. I'm thinking about posting a warning below it . . . you are under surveillance and thieves will be prosecuted or something like that.

PSM
04-03-2016, 10:57
Here is the setup. I'm thinking about posting a warning below it . . . you are under surveillance and thieves will be prosecuted or something like that.

Is that your tree or the city's?

Pat

Roguish Lawyer
04-03-2016, 11:00
Is that your tree or the city's?

Pat

Give me a good reason to answer that question. :rolleyes:

PSM
04-03-2016, 11:12
Give me a good reason to answer that question. :rolleyes:

Give me a good reason not to answer it. :confused:

The city can, and probably will, take it down like they do lost dog notices.

Pat

akv
04-03-2016, 11:25
Grass around tree would lend itself to tunnel/punji sticks a la Cu Chi...