PDA

View Full Version : Math

ccrn
05-09-2009, 12:08
Just curious....

What level math do you guys have to use?

Basic, complex etc?

Thanks-

TommyGun
05-09-2009, 13:20
As a Paramedic it can et quite complex....but we, like nurses, have some short cut tricks...:lifter

TS

The Reaper
05-09-2009, 13:21
As a Paramedic it can et quite complex....but we, like nurses, have some short cut tricks...:lifter

TS

Hey, Tommy, are you an 18E?

TR

TommyGun
05-09-2009, 13:25
No, Iam 38B and 68W...

Tommy Gun

The Reaper
05-09-2009, 13:28
No, Iam 38B and 68W...

Tommy Gun

Then how is your response of any value when someone asks in an 18E forum how much math is required?

Please stay in your lane. Don't answer SF questions unless you are SF.

TR

TommyGun
05-09-2009, 13:40
I failed to see the forum, My SA radar must be malfunctioned...

Wayneo79
05-09-2009, 16:56
.... My SA radar must be malfunctioned...

That was funny, Tommy! ...good cover.

CCRN, the answer, unless albeham (Freq Man extraordinaire!:lifter) trumps me, is typically, regular multiplication and division. Frequency managers can get into some heavier math with trig if they have to line up microwaves or maximize distance between other line-of-site or over-the-horizon antennae and these would typically be done with some computer based plotting program. The use of nomograms for figuring out line loss on transmission line isn't too hard either. Any kid who can pass 8th grade (probably even 5th grade) math should be able to do what formulas the JR 18E needs to be functional.

If you need a better/different response, then please help me/us by posting some background to the question.

v/r
WayneO

ccrn
05-10-2009, 20:29
If you need a better/different response, then please help me/us by posting some background to the question.

v/r
WayneO

Im supposed to attend a radio school pretty soon. Different mission than yours for sure but supposedly working with some advanced stuff.

From what I understand its all windows based, not even keys or ANCDs used.

Anyway, I was thinking of reviewing all the way up to algebra just in case.

I surely appreciated the answer as you guys are the SME-

albeham
05-10-2009, 21:04
I agree with WayneO. All of it.

Radio is one of these funny things you are really not needed until your needed, and when you are you better do your job.

Put this in your head.....

Its O' Dark hundred.. Your in the shit getting hit, and you need to get the team out, now! All that it needed is you the commo man to make the call on that funny little black box. You better know your gear, you better know you shit.

It may seem that the class your taking is not relevant to you now, but in some funny way one day it will mean a lot, it could mean life , death to the bad guys, or just a ride home, you just don't know when.

I would have to say , learn everything you can about commo. Lives do count on it. The math, that's the simple part.......

ALbeham

WayneO if I am out there tell me over a beer... :munchin

mojaveman
05-10-2009, 21:15
When I was an 18E way back in the old days (mid 80s) I used only basic math to figure out the length of my antennas. The real challenge was knowing what type of antenna to use according to the terrain and atmospheric conditions that you were in.

That only came through experience.