PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Armor Vests to Iraqi Police

Denny
06-30-2004, 16:59
Mosul area policemen receive 2,000 body armor vests

MOSUL, Iraq (Army News Service, June 29, 2004) – Iraqi police from the Mosul area received 2,000 vests with protective plates June 25.

The vests were given to them by Coalition forces as part of a contract with the Office of Security Cooperation to ensure the safety of Iraqi security forces while they are protecting the local citizens.

There are about 8,870 police working in the Mosul area. Previously, Coalition forces donated almost 700 vests to the Mosul police. The 2,000 additional vests are part of an ongoing plan to provide the area security forces with the protection they need to do their jobs safely.

The armor arrived in Mosul a few days ago. It was given to the Iraqi police as soon as possible to provide protection in the event of another outbreak of violence in the days leading up to the transfer of sovereignty on June 30.

“This equipment will have a great psychological impact for the police,” said Lt. Col. Hillary Baxter, the Task Force Olympia provost marshall. “The police see Coalition forces out with body armor and kevlars on. We want them to also have the proper equipment to do their jobs safely.”

The Mosul area police are working and training to improve the security and safety of northern Iraq. According to Baxter, their performance has continuously improved over time. The police have faced numerous challenges in maintaining security in Mosul, most recently the attacks on June 24 that killed more than 70 innocent Iraqi civilians and wounded 240. Approximately 30 of the dead were Iraqi police officers who were killed in action that day.

“We have had to work hard to rebuild the police force in Ninevah,” said Maj. Abd Al Hameed Thaier, Mosul police chief of staff. “I think our policemen have become an example for all the police in Iraq.”

Guy
06-30-2004, 17:17
Two to chest...one to the head.

Sniper training here I come!

stschmidt
07-01-2004, 08:07
I sure do feel safer now living in Mosul :D

QRQ 30
07-01-2004, 08:23
I thought the purpose of OIF (Iraqi FREEDOM) was to free Iraq and allow them to protect themselves. It seems that this is a good action and they may even need more. As an instructor or advisor you can get nowhere by ridiculing youe students.

Reverse roles and see how you would react if your "advisors" constantly ridiculed and insulted you. Would you support him in the end. I wouldn't.

The old adage of having to crawl before walking is so true. If there is any single ingredient most important to sucess it is mutual respect. I have seen 100% loyal RTs (some vietnamese) and I have seen some go AWOL. Almost everytime, results could be traced right back to the attitudes of the US leaders.

Guy
07-01-2004, 09:11
Or the Iraqi Civilian Defense Corps (ICDC)?:munchin

QRQ 30
07-01-2004, 09:41
Originally posted by Guy
Or the Iraqi Civilian Defense Corps (ICDC)?:munchin

Years ago similar remarks were made about the Latin American Forces who are now credible. They didn't get that way by being constantly ridiculed and insulted by their SF counterparts.

I also know the history of the seventh US Cavalry who were banned from stateside duty until recently. The 4th ID didn't have the best of reputations in RVN.

I am merely saying the support and respect will go a lot further than ridicule. The same c omments were made of the South Vietmese army but look how the NVA performed. I couldn't have been genetic -- they were of the same stock. Be it here or abroad, civilian or military, performance and morale are direct indicators of leadership.

Your comment goes right back to what the media chooses to report. I understand that the the ICDG have done credible work is some areas and are in control of their cities.

Guy
07-01-2004, 11:40
As long as there is American leadership the IP's or ICDC will do their jobs to a certain degree. It is a known fact that over 50% of the IP or ICDC "ran away" when time to clamp down on Fullujah came.

It is also known, that they very rarely if at all respond to attacks on military personnel.

Culture plays a major role in stabilizing Iraq!

NousDefionsDoc
07-01-2004, 12:14
Taking away the excuses.

I am with QRQ on this one. Well said.

Guy
07-01-2004, 12:24
Why do we have SF Groups who specialize in a certain geographical area?:munchin

Sacamuelas
07-01-2004, 13:10
:munchin

QRQ 30
07-01-2004, 13:43
Originally posted by Sacamuelas

LMAO :D

NousDefionsDoc
07-01-2004, 16:03
Originally posted by Guy
Why do we have SF Groups who specialize in a certain geographical area?:munchin

Mostly to keep those 10th Group guys out of Latin America and Asia.:D

Sacamuelas
07-01-2004, 16:12
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Mostly to keep those 10th Group guys out of Latin America and Asia.

HEY THERE..... its not fourth down yet. NO PUNTING!!!

NOW PLAY BALL! LOL
Originally posted by Guy
Why do we have SF Groups who specialize in a certain geographical area?

Razor
07-01-2004, 16:22
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Mostly to keep those 10th Group guys out of Latin America and Asia.:D

Because the sudden influx of extremely talented, professional (not to mention incredibly handsome) soldiers would create havoc not only within the units to be trained, but the local populace in general. :D

Guy
07-01-2004, 16:54
HEY THERE..... its not fourth down yet. NO PUNTING!!!

NOW PLAY BALL! LOL

Do you see me walking in a dentist office pulling teeth? :munchin

Catching on yet?:munchin

Guy
07-01-2004, 19:27
Sac:

Loaded question...even though I left you with an opening.:p

Think hard because the answer is there....;)

Sacamuelas
07-01-2004, 19:44
Originally posted by Guy
Do you see me walking in a dentist office pulling teeth?Catching on yet?

Either you are reading my post wrong.... I am reading yours wrong...

OR more likely, I have no clue what you are trying to tell me besides what I thought I already knew... that I had no business answering your original question. THat is why I didn't try in the first place. :)

I was simply poking NDD to finish what he started when he joined in on QRQ30's side. I wanted to hear his side of why he thinks you are wrong about the culture playing such an important part in the IRAQI situation. I happen to agree with you on my Guess about the IP and ICDC.:cool:

Roguish Lawyer
07-01-2004, 19:45
Jeez, I thought it was a rhetorical question.

I understand there is great benefit to being familiar with the language, culture and customs of the area. That is, an ODA will be significantly more effective if familiar with these things.

So a 7th Group ODA is going to do a better job in Colombia than a 10th Group ODA. And you'd rather send a 10th Group ODA to East Germany than a 7th Group ODA.

Although any ODA is better than none.

Sacamuelas
07-01-2004, 19:49
RL...
I took the question a little differently. I took it that Guy was saying that guys trained in and for that AO have a better understanding of the dynamics of the politics/economy/military/adversaries, etc than guys that are from a different Group. I thought it was a point to make about who could make "judgments" about the likelihood of something occurring not a point about who could operate better in the environment. I am sure that any SF Group will do a good job once on the ground...admittedly with some OTJ training for the initially unfamiliar. :D

Maybe we can still get the QP's to continue on this for explanation.

The Reaper
07-01-2004, 19:55
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
And you'd rather send a 10th Group ODA to East Germany than a 7th Group ODA.

Since there is no longer an East Germany, I heartily agree that I would rather send them back in the time machine, Counsel.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-01-2004, 20:00
Originally posted by The Reaper
Since there is no longer an East Germany, I heartily agree that I would rather send them back in the time machine, Counsel.

TR

Yes, I know. Not sure what 10th Group is preparing for these days and I don't want to know. I do believe that was a 10th Group mission back in the day, and used it just to illustrate the point. :o

The Reaper
07-01-2004, 20:13
Yes, I know. Not sure what 10th Group is preparing for these days and I don't want to know. I do believe that was a 10th Group mission back in the day, and used it just to illustrate the point. :o

Look at the bright side, there still is a Colombia for 7th Group, so at least you were half right!

TR

QRQ 30
07-01-2004, 20:28
Culture is different and I admit that we must learn and abide by the host nation's culture. But to say that a people is entirely stupid, worthless and unreliable because of their culture is an excuse. Hopefully the comments were made in jest. Any culture, regardless, has trusts and loyalties. It is up to us to find them and use them. Admitted I haven't been to Iraq but I was in Libya in 1966 and I believe it is an Islamic country.I have seen the culture/race etc excuse used ad nauseum even to the point of some saying black people were genetically and anatomically inferior to whites.

I have no intention of getting into a racial or cultural discussion. IMO culture may be an obstacle but SF can overcome obstacles. To fail to do so is to fail -- period.

Roguish Lawyer
07-01-2004, 21:24
Originally posted by QRQ 30
IMO culture may be an obstacle but SF can overcome obstacles.

Obstacle or opportunity?

Guy
07-02-2004, 04:20
Obstacle or opportunity?

Some see it as an obstacle.

SF sees it as an oppurtunuty.;)

CROSS CULTURAL COMMUNICATIONS! :D

Guy
07-02-2004, 05:17
RL...
I took the question a little differently. I took it that Guy was saying that guys trained in and for that AO have a better understanding of the dynamics of the politics/economy/military/adversaries, etc than guys that are from a different Group. I thought it was a point to make about who could make "judgments" about the likelihood of something occurring not a point about who could operate better in the environment. I am sure that any SF Group will do a good job once on the ground...admittedly with some OTJ training for the initially unfamiliar. :D

Maybe we can still get the QP's to continue on this for explanation.

It's called...AIO!
Adapt...
Improvise...
Overcome...

Our unique ability to be flexible is what we are good at.:lifter

QRQ 30
07-02-2004, 06:33
Guy: By your last posts I see that we agree, I apparently misunderstood your first posts to mean that aiding the Iraqi was a waste of time because of their culture. I missed the humor somewhere along the line. Let's keep it friendly.

Originally posted by Guy
Two to chest...one to the head.

Sniper training here I come! :)

Sacamuelas
07-02-2004, 08:50
Guy... your post is AIO is exactly what I was thinking. I had misunderstood your intentions too. Damn internet!! :D