PDA

View Full Version : Daughter and Dad Late Season Success!!

STR8SHTR
05-02-2009, 15:14
Well I was able to take my daughter turkey hunting this morning. We rolled out of bed this morning at 0445 and headed out to the farm. Once we arrived we parked the truck, put on our gear and headed to the turkey woods. Once the it started to get light and the woods came to life, I pulled out a new Cody Holei Box call and yelped lightly. There came an immediate response from the block of woods we were standing next too. My daughter and I headed into the woods to find a large tree to sit down next too. This bird kept gobbling until he flew down. We also heard about five other gobblers singing this morning. Every couple of minutes I would just yelp lightly with the box call and the gobbler would talk back. Well we got to see him fly down and he headed toward us but at an angle that did not allow us to get a shot. He walked out into a small field next to us and quit responding to my calls. So I quickly pulled out a glass friction call. I used this call to purr and cluck a few times. The bird heard this and his gobble tone changed. I whispered to my daughter that he was on the way back. He stepped back into the woods and started toward us. Well at 29 steps I dropped the hammer on him with the time being 0645. He weighed 20 lbs., had a 10 1/2" beard and his spurrs were only 1". The ironic thing is we were only a couple of trees away from where I took the bird on opening day.

This was a very memorable hunt as this was my daughters first hunting trip with me.

Pete
05-02-2009, 16:26
Both for the Turkey and a daughter willing to spend time in the woods with you.

The Reaper
05-02-2009, 16:27
Congrats!

Nice bird, great quality time.

TR

abc_123
05-02-2009, 21:26
allright!

wet dog
05-02-2009, 22:10
Good Job!

armymom1228
05-02-2009, 22:34
That is something she will remember all her days..

My dad used to take me dove hunting.. best time with him there was..
Some of my best memories of him.

Congratulatoins.. cute dtr, the bird only so-so.
(on the cute scalel that is..:p)
AM

SF_BHT
05-02-2009, 22:40
Congrads....

Savor your time with her.......

mojaveman
05-02-2009, 23:35
That's a nice looking bird. Do you smoke your wild game? Done properly it's some of the best eating to be had.

Buffalobob
05-03-2009, 07:31
Nice pictures and a good story.