PDA

View Full Version : Worst Coffee You've Ever Had!

Bill Harsey
06-29-2004, 20:49
What's the worst coffee you've ever had? Where?

The Reaper
06-29-2004, 21:00
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
What's the worst coffee you've ever had? Where?

Late night at a police department back in '78 or so.

We were desperate (small town, all stores closed), so I broke open an Accessory Pouch from a 14 year old C Ration for the Coffee, Instant; Creamer, Dry; and Sugar, and used hot water from the tap.

The other guy took a sip and retched. Wouldn't drink any more, so I opened the B-2 Unit with my P-38 and made mocha with the addition of the Powder, Beverage, Cocoa packet, finished it off myself.

Offered him a mini-pack of Viceroys (or was it Chesterfields?) to go with it, but he declared his Army Training was over.

He was lucky. If I had only had a can of Cake, Chocolate, I could have dehydrated him with one bite and forced him to drink the coffee or shrivel like a prune as he dried out.

TR

Bill Harsey
06-29-2004, 21:09
Worst coffee I've ever had was some I made myself. We were logging on the southern Oregon coast mountain range. It was wet, muddy and steep. To save money we camped out near the job. While still dark one morning I got up and figured out that in the haste to get cold beer in town last night I'd forgotten the coffee filters. It was cold, raining and the next 9 hours logging was going to really suck. I wasn't going to start without coffee. I figured out that my liner socks looked pretty close to a coffee filter. We always wore white socks under the wool ones to keep blisters down. When I use the term white, that's how they looked in the store, a long time ago. I got in the duffel and found a pair that looked clean, filled the half the sock with coffee and had my partner stretch the top wide open while I carefully poured the boiling water between his hands. This was high speed coffee! It took about 6 seconds to fill the tin pot and it was colored dark. I have no idea the smell of dirty socks could transmit so well into a cup of coffee. My buddy spit his out. It was going to be a long day, I finished mine.

The Reaper
06-29-2004, 21:14
Worst coffee I've ever had was some I made myself. We were logging on the southern Oregon coast mountain range. It was wet, muddy and steep. To save money we camped out near the job. While still dark one morning I got up and figured out that in the haste to get cold beer in town last night I'd forgotten the coffee filters. It was cold, raining and the next 9 hours logging was going to really suck. I wasn't going to start without coffee. I figured out that my liner socks looked pretty close to a coffee filter. We always wore white socks under the wool ones to keep blisters down. When I use the term white, that's how they looked in the store, a long time ago. I got in the duffel and found a pair that looked clean, filled the half the sock with coffee and had my partner stretch the top wide open while I carefully poured the boiling water between his hands. This was high speed coffee! It took about 6 seconds to fill the tin pot and it was colored dark. I have no idea the smell of dirty socks could transmit so well into a cup of coffee. My buddy spit his out. It was going to be a long day, I finished mine.

Well, they were YOUR socks, right?

TR

Bill Harsey
06-29-2004, 21:27
Yep.

ktek01
06-30-2004, 04:17
Gave up on coffee here a month ago, hard time convincing these people that "Nescafe" is NOT coffee. I have however found that if you take half of a .65 liter bottle of water, add 4 MRE coffee packs, 5 or 6 sugar packs, 5 or 6 creamer packs, shake well, put back in freezer, take out an hour later and shake again. You end up with a halfway decent frozen frappuccino. :D

Radar Rider
06-30-2004, 04:52
The worst coffee I ever had was at a Starbucks in Tacoma. I don't want no flavored crap, I don't want to add flavors. I just want a damn cup of coffee! My dissappointment at not being able to get regular damn coffee probably affects my perception of the worst cup of coffee ever. I tried to fit in, adding SHIT to my crappaciuno; it sucked!

Guy
06-30-2004, 06:18
Originally posted by Radar Rider
The worst coffee I ever had was at a Starbucks in Tacoma. I don't want no flavored crap, I don't want to add flavors. I just want a damn cup of coffee! My dissappointment at not being able to get regular damn coffee probably affects my perception of the worst cup of coffee ever. I tried to fit in, adding SHIT to my crappaciuno; it sucked!

I don't even think they sell regular coffee out here! It wasn't bad coffee that I had at one time, it was a .....

NON-FAT-CHAI-TEA-LATTE. :o

Lipton tea suits me just fine.

Solid
06-30-2004, 06:24
I made myself a fine coffee when my sister and 2 year old nephew were visiting. I was going to read outside, so I set the coffee down on the deck near my chair and went to grab my book. I came back, sat down, and took a long slurp of my coffee.
HURK!
Turns out that my nephew had put his playdo and lego in it before knocking it over... My loving sister scooped as much of the coffee as possible back into the cup, cleaned the deck, and left the cup where I had put it...

Not a good taste; she claims it was an accident.

Solid

Sacamuelas
06-30-2004, 06:54
I would have to refer back to my staying up late days to cram human gross anatomy into my head before a lab practical.

Take a pot of coffee made a 3:00pm. Allow to sit and simmer until reduced to half its original volume while studying. At 6:00pm, put coffee into microwave and get boiling hot andthen pour coffee into thermos(may have to vibrate to get it to pour fluidly into container due to high viscosity). Goto lab and perform elbow deep "studying" inside multiple (deceased) human bodies reviewing intestinal anatomy, pelvic anatomy, etc for 6 hours...
After thoroughly saturating your hand/forearm skin with formaldehyde and "other fluids", take the thermos and pour a cup of semi-warm/incredibly bitter/cooked down coffee into a styrofoam cup and enjoy. Fight back your gag reflex by occupying your mind with the question, " Which smells worse, the human fluid on my hands, the stinch of formaldehyde on my hands, or this nuclear strength coffee that I am drinking?"...then REpeat at 5:00am...

Ymmm......:D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
06-30-2004, 07:17
It was one of those damp foggy mornings in the field in Korea at the end of a night operation in the fall of 78. I was the BN S-3 for the 1st 23rd Inf and had been out with the Recon Platoon folks putting them thru their paces getting ready for our upcoming deployment to the DMZ. We decided to return to the BN Trains and get some breakfast and knock out the critique while we ate chow. I was pretty beat and decided the only thing I wanted was coffee. I walked over to the mess tent, found one of those old brown mess hall coffee cups and next to the mermite container of coffee was one of those large brown bowls filled with what I thought was sugar. So I heaped a couple of teaspoons of "sugar" into my cup, ladeled out some coffee, and took a big gulp. Damnned if the sugar wasn't salt. The poor cook knew it was salt because he had just put it out there by mistake, stood in horrified silence and then yelled over, " Wait, that's salt, I screwed up!". Well you know, a guy with a SF patch on his right sleeve and the other associated badges else where has just got to maintain the honor of the SF family. With what I hope was not a forced smile, I said, "Yes, I know, but we have been out humping the yamas all night and we need to get our salt level back up." Funny thing though, after that episode never heard anyone else snivel about the training being too hard.

Jack Moroney:D

Footmobile
06-30-2004, 10:27
UN Headquarters in Baghdad last April. After we cleared out the riff raff from the various floors of the building we of course set out to find some decent chow and coffee, as we had been on a strict diet of 1 1/2 MRE's a day for the past 3 weeks. After rummaging around in the CO of UNMOVIC's office I found a can of Nescafe with the date stamped on the bottom.....1984! WTF, the head honcho of UNMOVIC couldn't swing some decent coffee? I figured what the hell, it couldn't be any worst than MRE coffee. Whipped out the MSR Pocket Rocket and brewed up. It was terrible, utterly disgusting.

Stay away from the 20 year old Nescafe.

Solid
06-30-2004, 10:37
Woah, thanks for the advice.
;)

DDD
06-30-2004, 10:41
First time drinking turkish coffee and not knowing that the last half inch is grounds, nuf said......
Forgot to answer where, West Bank...

NousDefionsDoc
06-30-2004, 11:24
Once ate the coffee out of C-Rats and washed in down with water - mistake.

Jimbo
06-30-2004, 11:38
Arabian desert.

Solid
06-30-2004, 11:41
What, are you going to create an individual reply for each detail, to create suspense?
Or was the desert part of the coffee? :D

Made coffee out of poorly distilled sea water... not great, but better than the playdo/lego/wood hybrid.

Solid

Psywar1-0
06-30-2004, 11:43
Yall aint gonna beleive this but the worst Coffee I have ever had was in Colombia.

All the good stuff gets exported, and most places out in the sticks serve instant.

Bill Harsey
06-30-2004, 12:06
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Once ate the coffee out of C-Rats and washed in down with water - mistake. That rates right up there with my brother, early one morning getting ready to go logging, chewing straight Alkaseltzer tabs to combat a hangover. I knew you'd make a good logger NDD!

DDD
06-30-2004, 12:14
That rates right up there with my brother, early one morning getting ready to go logging, chewing straight Alkaseltzer tabs to combat a hangover. I knew you'd make a good logger NDD!

LOL, I saw my boss do that one day......Only problem was he thought the Alkaseltzer was just a big antiacid tablet. He couldn't drink enough water fast enough:D

Bill Harsey
06-30-2004, 13:40
Originally posted by DDD
First time drinking turkish coffee and not knowing that the last half inch is grounds, nuf said......
Forgot to answer where, West Bank... I think I had that kind of coffee in Greece a couple months ago, the locals made a point of calling it GREEK coffee, didn't want to give the Turks any credit.

Kyobanim
06-30-2004, 13:44
Worse I ever had was the pot my son made on father's day. 12 scoops of grounds in a 12 cup pot.

D9 (RIP)
06-30-2004, 14:22
Breakfast Blend, Starbucks, AIG Offices, Houston, TX, Fall of 2002

I went down for my morning coffee, got it mixed up with C&S, took a sip, and immediately blew it all over the place. My mouth was burning - not in a temperature way, but in a chemical way. Looked at the clerk, exclaiming, "Wa-er, wa-er.." Swished, and asked the lady WTF was in my coffee? Just then I hear the little Mexican cleaning lady behind the counter scolding her in Spanish, and holding up a jug of degreaser. Needless to say, I didn't finish it, LOL.

I had some in the Netherlands while staying with some friends that you could've stripped paint with. "Jeez!" I exclaimed on taking a sip, "this is a strong friggin' cup of coffee!"

My host opened the little tray that contains the filter. It was full to the top with grounds, for only 3 or 4 cups worth of coffee. "How do I say this," he pondered, then pointing at the filter said, "they don't make it this big for no reason."

mffjm8509
06-30-2004, 14:37
We were doing some maintenance on tools one day in a motor pool at Ft Hood, TX. A buddy of mine walked up with what appeared to be a fresh cup of coffee from the guy truck. Like I had done so many times before during the course of a conversation I reached over, grabbed the cup out of his hands and took a sip.......

MOTOR OIL

he said it was to lubricate the tools......:rolleyes:

mp

mffjm8509
06-30-2004, 14:40
Originally posted by DDD

The best part about Turkish coffee is the "sand bar" at the bottom of the cup.....it takes talent to keep the coffee swirling at the rate to which you can drink the coffee strong, not notice the grounds, and leave very little in the bottom when finished....

First time I tried this was in Zaku, Iraq working with the kurds during OPC II. I think they got a kick out of watching me finish that last gulp, grounds and all..

mp

Razor
06-30-2004, 14:49
These are all reasons to avoid coffee in all cases, excepting emergencies.

My worst was doing coffee packet mainlines in Ranger School. Its similar to what NDD described: open packet, tip back head and dump grounds (instant, that is) in mouth, take a gulp of water, swish around and swallow. Add sugar to taste. :) Hey, I needed the caffeine at the time.

lrd
06-30-2004, 18:12
I was about to say that there isn't such a thing as a bad cup of coffee if you're desperate enough...but you all have convinced me otherwise. :p

mffjm8509
06-30-2004, 18:23
Originally posted by Razor
These are all reasons to avoid coffee in all cases, excepting emergencies.

blasphemy!

Bill Harsey
06-30-2004, 18:49
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Worse I ever had was the pot my son made on father's day. 12 scoops of grounds in a 12 cup pot. knifemakin' coffee.

The Reaper
06-30-2004, 18:52
knifemakin' coffee.

Don't even need tools.

Just a piece of steel, your teeth and hands!

TR

Huey14
07-01-2004, 20:04
I drink Tea instead.

The Reaper
07-01-2004, 20:16
Originally posted by Huey14
I drink Tea instead.

I would expect nothing less from you.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-01-2004, 20:29
Originally posted by mffjm8509
The best part about Turkish coffee is the "sand bar" at the bottom of the cup.....it takes talent to keep the coffee swirling at the rate to which you can drink the coffee strong, not notice the grounds, and leave very little in the bottom when finished....

First time I tried this was in Zaku, Iraq working with the kurds during OPC II. I think they got a kick out of watching me finish that last gulp, grounds and all..

mp

My mom bought me a bag of Turkish coffee during a visit to the Middle East. I didn't know it was any different from regular coffee, so I ground the beans and made a pot of my normal-strength (i.e., extremely strong) coffee. UGH!

Had a trial in February, and we ate every day at the same Turkish restaurant down the street from the courthouse. That's when I learned what real Turkish coffee is -- they took me in the back and showed me how they make it. NOT for your normal American coffee machine!!! LOL

Jimbo
07-01-2004, 21:39
I had an old, smelly, rude Turk that I am unfortunately kind of related to INSTRUCT me on how to make Turkish coffee.

Not a fond memory.

Huey14
07-01-2004, 23:46
Originally posted by The Reaper
I would expect nothing less from you.

TR

I'm not sure quite how to take that, so I'll take it in good faith, chap, what?

Solid
07-02-2004, 00:48
I'm with you there, Huey. Nothing like a cup of Her Majesty's Earl Grey to sort you in the morning on a hike.

I prefer to 'use' coffee, not drink it regularly.

Solid

Sacamuelas
07-02-2004, 07:37
Originally posted by Solid
Nothing like a cup of Her Majesty's Earl Grey to sort you in the morning on a hike.

Snicker...snicker... :p
Is it considered pickin' on a person when they ASK for it like the above example? LOL

QRQ 30
07-02-2004, 08:01
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Once ate the coffee out of C-Rats and washed in down with water - mistake.

NDD that reminds me of the old LRRP rats. They say that you can eat them dry. If you do ensure you drink plenty of water otherwise the rats will extract the water from your system causing severe cramps. Yours truly tried it once in RVN.

I'm sure I have had some bad coffee but don't really remember specific instances. In Germany we learned from some of our Eastern Europaen comrads to lace coffee with vodka. It covers up all of the bad traits.

Some of the best was concocted in the field. We took up all of the C-Rat coffee, cocoa , chocklate bars, cream and sugar and brewed up a good batch of "coffee".:cool:

The Reaper
07-02-2004, 08:23
I'm not sure quite how to take that, so I'll take it in good faith, chap, what?

Right-O, old bean! Cheerio!

Just kidding.

I remember getting the Aussie ration packs with the small bit of food and a ton of tea and sugar packets with a tube of sweetened condensed milk. What the heck was that all about?

We would watch the Aussies stop patrolling to brew up every afternoon, no matter what was going on and presumed that you were of a similar mind.

TR

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 08:37
Originally posted by The Reaper
Right-O, old bean! Cheerio!

Just kidding.

I remember getting the Aussie ration packs with the small bit of food and a ton of tea and sugar packets with a tube of sweetened condensed milk. What the heck was that all about?

We would watch the Aussies stop patrolling to brew up every afternoon, no matter what was going on and presumed that you were of a similar mind.

TR That's for making white tea. Some years ago I gave bench space here in the shop to the Australian axeman Jim Alexander, who'd won about thirty world titles chopping in professional timber sports. Big Jim had hands fully half again bigger than mine and was in that handful of the best axemen that ever competed. Every afternoon when it got hot, it was time for white tea. There wasn't any arguing about it either, it was white tea.

Huey14
07-02-2004, 19:58
Well we're very civilised in this part of the world you know :cool: :D

Hey Mr. Harsey, you know, the first time I'd ever heard of Kiwi's in the timber sports was when I saw it on ESPN. It's a pretty cool thing to watch.

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 20:01
Well we're very civilised in this part of the world you know :cool: :D

Hey Mr. Harsey, you know, the first time I'd ever heard of Kiwi's in the timber sports was when I saw it on ESPN. It's a pretty cool thing to watch. Sir, I said AUSTRALIAN! I also know some very good Kiwis in the same business.

Huey14
07-02-2004, 20:07
Oh yes, I know you did, but on this side of the Tasman we ignore any references to the Aussies :D

Bill Harsey
07-02-2004, 20:19
Oh yes, I know you did, but on this side of the Tasman we ignore any references to the Aussies :D Very Good Sir! Understood.

DoctorDoom
07-03-2004, 01:23
x

brewmonkey
07-03-2004, 08:19
The coffee my wife made for me. She knows that I start every morning off with a pot of coffee and the paper (online edition). One morning she decided to make my coffee before I was downstairs, I could smell it all the way in the bedroom. On top of the coffee was the faint hint of cinnamon buns baking, together they were making me hungry.

I head downstairs and after the round of good mornings I grab a cup of lifer juice and take a sip. HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD! It was like drinking sludge from the Missouri river. Thick, black and burnt! I had all I could do to not spit it out.

I asked her how she knew how much coffee to put in the filter and she said, "I filled it to the top." :eek: She had used the better part of a 1/2 lb of coffee in a 12 cup machine. She ended up using most of the bag that I had so I could not put on another pot. I ended up up having to dilute it with water to get the proper proportions.

As I am sitting there drinking the concoction she asked me if I would like one of the cinnamon buns. It was then that I realized I was being set up for failure. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

After that I went and bought a machine with a timer and started setting up the pot the night before.

Roguish Lawyer
07-18-2005, 17:36
Who dredged up this old thread?

My mother-in-law makes the worst coffee on earth. So weak it might as well be hot water.

Pete
07-18-2005, 18:00
My mother-in-law makes the worst coffee on earth

I would have to say my medic made the worst cup of coffee I ever did take "ONE" mouthful of.

I think I mentioned this before somewhere else but I'll say it again in this thread.

Two team mates, the Sr Wps and Jr Medic, were with me and a bunch of locals in Africa. I liked to brew up a last cup of coffee before dark but one day the Sr Wps Sergeant and I got tied up with the Heavy Weapons section and didn't get back to the CP until just about full dark.

The medic, who didn't drink coffee but to be nice, had brewed up a full canteen cup of coffee. He had seen me making coffee for days and knew where everything in my ruck was and just how I did it. It had been a loooonngg hot day and I took hold of that cup. Good, not too hot. I put it up to my lips and took a long pull.

Then it hit my taste buds. Holy Mother of God, that was the most nastiest stuff I had ever tasted. He had made the coffee with the liquid from the 2 Qt Gator-aid canteen. Lime Gator-aid and instant coffee do not mix well at all.

The incident was good for many laughs in the team room for the next few months.

Dan
07-18-2005, 18:59

lol...mine was a very similiar experience in Ethiopia

Bill Harsey
07-18-2005, 19:05
I would have to say my medic made the worst cup of coffee I ever did take "ONE" mouthful of.

I think I mentioned this before somewhere else but I'll say it again in this thread.

Two team mates, the Sr Wps and Jr Medic, were with me and a bunch of locals in Africa. I liked to brew up a last cup of coffee before dark but one day the Sr Wps Sergeant and I got tied up with the Heavy Weapons section and didn't get back to the CP until just about full dark.

The medic, who didn't drink coffee but to be nice, had brewed up a full canteen cup of coffee. He had seen me making coffee for days and knew where everything in my ruck was and just how I did it. It had been a loooonngg hot day and I took hold of that cup. Good, not too hot. I put it up to my lips and took a long pull.

Then it hit my taste buds. Holy Mother of God, that was the most nastiest stuff I had ever tasted. He had made the coffee with the liquid from the 2 Qt Gator-aid canteen. Lime Gator-aid and instant coffee do not mix well at all.

The incident was good for many laughs in the team room for the next few months.
I've gotta give that a try. :D

lksteve
07-18-2005, 20:43
NTANBS...i was a platoon trainer in IOBC...there was another SF officer (John) there as well...our platoons combined for the culmination exercise of the tactics FTX for an RC class...basically all the field instruction in IOBC in 67 days, no weekends off, average training day for cadre of 3am 'til midnight...anyway, the night attack requires two nights (one to stay up all night and defend, one to spend the night touring Fort Benning looking for defenders to attack)...anyway, before the attack kicked off, i brewed a pot of coffee and put it in my thermos (i confess to having an MSR stove in the field)...i knew i would need it come sun-up...anyway, John and i walked along, BSing whilst the LTs wandered around in the dark, until finally, we got everybody close enough to the objective to call the trainers in the other platoons to wake their guys up so we could, basically, get it over with...the attack went as all IOBC attacks go (soup sandwich) and after disengaging the platoons and conducting our joint and separate AARs, i grabbed my thermos...it was in the hour of not-quite-dawn and i realized the coffee was colder than i wanted...anyway, i asked John if he wanted some brewed coffee, he said yes and i proceeded to heat what i had left in a canteen cup over a heat tab...when it was done, John pulled out a couple of packets of cream (i thought) and poured it into the coffee...we each had a canteen cup and split what had been heated...it took about half a swig before John realized that i had actually provided brewed coffee and for me to realize that John did not put cream into the cup, but rather, thinking i had only heated water, put four packets of MRE coffee into the cups...being both SF and Ranger types, we added sugar, drank the rest of the coffee and basically spent the rest of the day bouncing off pine trees....

CPTAUSRET
07-18-2005, 21:12
Great thread!

It evoked many memories...some good.

Terry

Bravo1-3
07-18-2005, 23:06
Worst cup of coffee was in Tahiti on exchange with RIMAP. This was a day of nastiness disguised as food products for me. We're walking through Taravao at about 0800, and our guide (a french Jr. Corporal who thought Hinano Beer was good) asks us if we'd like some coffee. Long story short, the secret to a good cup of coffee has a lot to do with using water that isn't collected from standing puddles. The other secret is to not boil the coffee for 3-4 days.

Of course, for the purposes of ensuring that our guide didn't think I was a wuss, I drank it to the last drop. "Chuck" as we called him looked at me in amazement and said "I've never seen anyone, even a Tahitian drink that. I only gave it to you as a joke. If you feel sick, tell me so I can get you to the doctor." This is the same guy who got me to try Fafaru at dinner that night.

Books
07-19-2005, 11:10
This is a great thread! Two anecdotes: both happened in Alaska aboard ship.

While working as a deckhand on a small ship in SE Alaska, we would buy Deadman's Reach, a potent coffee put out from Ketchikan I believe. The coffee's motto was, "Served in Bed, Raise the Dead," and had a picture of a skeleton on the package. Good stuff when you're coming on watch at 0100. Except of course when you're running late to the bridge and the soon to be offwatch offers you the dregs of their pot made some 12 hours before. I was awake, instantly, and it took hours to get the bitter taste from my mouth. By that time, it had a tar like consistency. Haven't had anything worse yet.

The other story:

My chief mate named Rod and the skipper were big tea drinkers. The Captain was the son of a British expat and knew something of the process by which one brews a decent cuppa. The Chief Mate was a stickler for doing things exactly right and wanted his tea perfect. He even bought a tea cozy with elk on it (because it was a manly tea cozy) to keep his brown betty piping hot through the watch. He was a good boss; demanding, tough, fair. We all had a pretty good banter going back and forth. Oh, and when I fell overboard during a docking evolution, he pulled me back in. So yeah, I like the guy.

One morning at about 0200 he tells me to brew him a cup in the galley. He very specificlly tells me how many sugars (1.5) and what type of cream. I stand there with a blank look on my face writing his instructions down. Couldn't he just ask for a cup of tea? But hey, he's the boss. I go below and get him his cup of tea and prep it just right and bring it back to him.

He can tell that I was kinda pissed for being used as an errand boy so when he takes a sip he tells me, "Good tea. But next time, before you spit in my tea, please gargle with a sodium bicarbonate mixture."

In a rare moment of clarity, I fire back, "But Rod, that's not spit."

FILO
07-19-2005, 13:37

I second that, Belekishir (Sp), Turkey.

Also I ask for a "tinto" whenever I am in Colombia. This means black coffee. Then I ask for "leche" which is the milk. If you don't follow this method, you will most likely receive a cup split 50-50 between coffee and HOT mik. :(

fusion94
07-23-2005, 07:11
During the first Gulf War we used to take a can, place holes in it about 1/2 up, fill the bottom half with sand, then soak said sand in diesel from the fuel spigots on the humvees. Light the sand on fire then put your canteen cup on top and let the water boil. Drop in some grounds and there you go. Of course there was a nice greasy layer on top thanks to the diesel smoke but it worked. It was nasty though.

Sigaba
10-06-2011, 16:38
The worst cups of coffee I ever had were wonderful.

And the least wonderful cups of coffee I've had were at branches of Chase--one in downtown L.A., the other in San Pedro--late in the afternoon, last year.

Both were the dregs of a stay hot decanter and had cooled to the point where sugar and non dairy creamer would not dissolve.

Honorable mention goes to the coffee house up the street. Despite its sterling reputation, this establishment's mochas give me headaches that are frighteningly similar to the ones I get when I watch the current president's press conferences. (I hate the guy, I hate the guy, I hate the guy. And not just a little.)

Dusty
10-06-2011, 17:09
I wish I had a dime for every "cup" I had to put -dry- between cheek and gum on security.

echoes
10-06-2011, 17:24
Wow, really? Would never have thought this would be a thread topic on PS, but I have learned how to fold bed sheets properly on topic here, so rock on.:rolleyes::cool:

Very tough day today around my AO, so my coffee was non existent...

All I can add to this topic is a warning...Do NOT drink choc-full-o-nuts coffee!

Because you will be buying it, and driving the price up....best kept secret from my Dad's Navy Days.;)

Oh yeah, Damn good coffee....

Holly:munchin

Requiem
10-06-2011, 19:32
Deadman's Reach, a potent coffee put out from Ketchikan I believe.

I've seen it local shops and wondered about it and their other strangely named blends. (Wanna cup of Three Peckered Billy Goat, anyone?) You can get it here (http://www.ravensbrew.com/NewFiles/coffees.html).

Susan

dr. mabuse
10-07-2011, 15:58
Phoenix, Mississippi, 1973.

Stale, iron laced well water, generic brand dessicated antique coffee with an excessive dose of chicory and egg shells. Felt like a confederate soldier for a brief moment.

What a kick in the nyuks.

Masochist
10-08-2011, 20:52
I've seen it local shops and wondered about it and their other strangely named blends. (Wanna cup of Three Peckered Billy Goat, anyone?) You can get it here (http://www.ravensbrew.com/NewFiles/coffees.html).

Susan

Skookums are what we called the Port-O-Johns at Ft. Lewis. :confused:

http://www.ravensbrew.com/skook.html

Requiem
10-08-2011, 23:35
Skookums are what we called the Port-O-Johns at Ft. Lewis. :confused:

http://www.ravensbrew.com/skook.html

Gak! :D I'm guessing skookum coffee would NOT be a best-seller at Ft. Lewis.

I googled skookum and discovered it's a Chinook word that means a variety of things, mostly positive: strong, best, powerful, brave, tough... (Much like the men here. :cool: )

Susan

1stindoor
10-11-2011, 09:17
My wife calls me a coffee snob. I prefer dark rich bold blends black and thick sans sugar, cream, flavoring, etc.

I buy my beans from coffebeandirect in NJ, almost every month and grind them at home. Between my coffee pot, my espresso machine, and my grinder, I've probably got close to a grand invested.

So that being said, I have had "bad coffee" just about everywhere except in my house.

mojaveman
10-11-2011, 09:29
As stated earlier in the thread, Turkish coffee. Drank some at a cafe in Frankfurt onetime. Plenty dark, plenty gritty, and horribly strong.

If you ever have to stay awake though drink some of that stuff. I was zingin'...

Richard
10-11-2011, 09:34
Bad coffee? Cof-feee Ah-merr-ee-caan in Thailand - a 10 oz glass with about an oz of coffee and 8 oz of milk...with ice cubes containing 'objects' (bits of flora, small pieces of insects, etc).

After that, there is only coffee and - preferably - better coffee. ;)

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

PedOncoDoc
10-11-2011, 11:05
The worst coffee I ever had was this shit called "decaf". A close second was labeled "flavored." May God have mercy on the soul of whoever tries to give me some combination of those two. Other than that, I've not met a cup of coffee I didn't like - coffee should taste like coffee and should be strong, black, and when possible, hot.

greenberetTFS
10-11-2011, 11:16
The worst coffee I ever had was this shit called "decaf". A close second was labeled "flavored." May Other than that, I've not met a cup of coffee I didn't like - coffee should taste like coffee and should be strong, black, and when possible, hot.

God have mercy on the soul of whoever tries to give me some combination of those two.

Truer words were never as well stated................:eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

BOfH
10-11-2011, 11:22
As stated earlier in the thread, Turkish coffee. Drank some at a cafe in Frankfurt onetime. Plenty dark, plenty gritty, and horribly strong.

If you ever have to stay awake though drink some of that stuff. I was zingin'...
First time I had Turkish coffee was in Israel some years ago, once you get over the grit its not all that bad, as far as zingin' goes, expresso pales in comparison, that stuff could keep you wired for days on end. :D :munchin

Defend
10-11-2011, 11:23

I don't know how a coffee lover can not love Turkish coffee! I drink 2-4 cups of it a morning whenever I have it in the house. After drinking some of that, most anything else seems watery.

Now for some fancy coffee, how about the coffee makers at Landstuhl? Those were awesome - and at 13k a piece, they should be! Made the MTD much more bearable.

-out

Tress
10-11-2011, 11:34
The worst coffee that I ever had was the only two times that I ever drank coffee. Both times while in the military. Sorry guys, but coffee never really appealed to me. Now if coffee tasted anything like the smell of fresh roasted beans I would be all over it like white on rice, but since it tastes nothing like the way that the beans smell I will continue with OJ and/or water.

But the worst coffee that anyone has ever tasted I do know something about.

After ETS'ing I worked for a government contractor in DC for a bit. My boss, John, and I were working for three days straight putting a proposal together. In the middle of our second night of working straight through John told me that he was going to take a short nap at his desk and to awaken him in two hours. He also asked me to make a pot of coffee for him before waking him. I was busy with what I was doing and just said, "OK", never asking him how to make the damned coffee.

Just before it was time to wake him I stood at the coffee machine with coffee pot, filter and coffee grounds in hand trying to figure out how to make this shit. I was a little too tired and not really awake myself and just filled the filter with coffee grounds to just under the brim thinking that they would not make the filters this tall unless they were meant to be filled. :eek:

I poured in a pot of water and let the machine do the rest. After the machine was done brewing I poured a cup and brought it to John's desk, woke him and shoved the cup under his nose. He just grabbed the cup and gulped down the whole thing.

After a few seconds his eyes grew wide, his lips puckered and he let out a howl. I do not think that he drank any more coffee for the next 24 or so hours. Nor did he ever ask me to make coffee for him again. :D

Tress

Dusty
10-11-2011, 11:54
I started drinking coffee for the speed. At my age now, I drink it just to be able to function. I literally don't care what it tastes like, or whether it's hot.

Pete
10-11-2011, 12:26
...............I stood at the coffee machine with coffee pot, filter and coffee grounds in hand trying to figure out how to make this shit.......

Had a student one time do that while on CQ Duty. When I came in that morning he had a big old smile on his face as he said with the biggest Gomer Pile look on his face " I don't know how to make coffee. I hope you like it."

Oh, I could drink it - but the other students and cadre were not too thrilled with it.

Oh, by the way, don't try and pull a slickyboy on the 1SG. Your morning might last a lot, lot longer than you thought it would. And you would know how to make a good pot of coffee.

1stindoor
10-11-2011, 14:05
I started drinking coffee for the speed. At my age now, I drink it just to be able to function. I literally don't care what it tastes like, or whether it's hot.

I often joke that my blood stream is so full of caffeine that I could have died days ago and it just hasn't caught up to me yet. I consider coffee to be one of the food groups.

cat in the hat
10-11-2011, 15:31
we had a warrant on our team who made such lousy coffee that we posted a sign above the pot saying Chief was no longer allowed to make coffee and then had to lock it up.

PRB
10-11-2011, 15:48
Starbucks...anywhere.

scooter
10-11-2011, 17:19
Starbucks...anywhere.

Fightin' words. I've had some damn good Starbucks.

I used to heap scorn on the latte crowd, now I'm hooked... still like regular coffee though.

Dusty
10-11-2011, 17:22

I used to heap scorn on the latte crowd, now I'm hooked... still like regular coffee though.

Starbucks is where the Kool Aid Party (Occupy Wherever) crowd does their operations orders.

ZonieDiver
10-11-2011, 17:22
Starbucks...anywhere.

I'm down with that statement, though I can tolerate Pike Place. The first time I went into a Starbuck's, I thought, "Damn, someone burned to coffee beans when roastling them."

scooter
10-11-2011, 17:23
Starbucks is where the Kool Aid Party (Occupy Wherever) crowd does their operations orders.

Who do you think taught them?

PRB
10-11-2011, 19:16

Try Dunkin Donuts...good coffee and you won't need a loan to buy a 'Grande' and, btw, they don't have 'Grande's they have, small, medium and large just like real people!

scooter
10-11-2011, 19:32
Try Dunkin Donuts...good coffee and you won't need a loan to buy a 'Grande' and, btw, they don't have 'Grande's they have, small, medium and large just like real people!

Dunkin's good, concur. But there is a starbucks right inside gate 5 on Campbell, 2 minutes from work. Dunkin donuts? Much farther. Expensive? Yep. Good? Yes!

PRB
10-11-2011, 19:37
Dunkin's good, concur. But there is a starbucks right inside gate 5 on Campbell, 2 minutes from work. Dunkin donuts? Much farther. Expensive? Yep. Good? Yes!

remember the 5 P's......and there is a cow field there too but I suspect you don't munch cowsh%t because it's handy ;)

Ret10Echo
10-11-2011, 19:38

And Extra Large for those larger than real :D

Still, I admit being a Starbucks customer. I have actually developed a liking of that distinct "burnt" taste that most others dislike. If I was in a civilized coffee nation and could get quality German brew..this would not be a problem.

Worst coffee...

Anything that looks or tastes like a brown crayon dipped in hot water. If the coffee doesn't double as potting soil it ain't dark enough....

Sigaba
10-11-2011, 19:44

I used to heap scorn on the latte crowd, now I'm hooked... still like regular coffee though. And also, many Starbucks are conveniently located near to a Sephora. OR SO I'VE HEARD.

akv
10-11-2011, 20:03
And also, many Starbucks are conveniently located near to a Sephora. OR SO I'VE HEARD.

LOL :D

Worst coffee, The Waffle House in Durham at 4am. ( It may not have been the coffee, I just didn't want to get shot.)

scooter
10-11-2011, 20:08
And also, many Starbucks are conveniently located near to a Sephora. OR SO I'VE HEARD.

Since you know what a Sephoras is, I'm going to assume you've been lured into/near one by your better half as well.

If there had been a Starbucks nearby, I would have been there instead.

Ret10Echo
10-11-2011, 20:09
LOL :D

Worst coffee, The Waffle House in Durham at 4am. ( It may not have been the coffee, I just didn't want to get shot.)

Might I suggest: "ANY Waffle House at 4am"

BOfH
10-11-2011, 22:00

Indeed, the one on Liberty St. in downtown NYC is about 1/2 block from Sephora :D

Tress
10-11-2011, 22:18
Originally posted by Ret10Echo:

If the coffee doesn't double as potting soil it ain't dark enough....

You might have liked the only pot of coffee that I ever made.

Tress

akv
10-11-2011, 22:35
A fishing buddy serves up what he calls "Navy Coffee" on his boat when headed out the bay at oh dark thirty. It's basically scalding hot black coffee with salt in the grounds. A few swigs and you are wide awake, ready to fish, and won't blink for days...

greenberetTFS
10-12-2011, 01:20
Best coffee and donuts................. ;) Krispy Kream.....................:D

Pete
10-12-2011, 03:54
A fishing buddy serves up what he calls "Navy Coffee" on his boat when headed out the bay at oh dark thirty. It's basically scalding hot black coffee with salt in the grounds. A few swigs and you are wide awake, ready to fish, and won't blink for days...

I had forgotten about "Navy Coffee". Years back I had learned of it. The story goes it got started with making coffee with brackish ship's water.

I put a few good shakes of salt over the grounds before I slid the basket in Mr Coffee. It does give a better taste.

I'll have to give it another go.

Dozer523
10-12-2011, 09:40

Big Teddy :munchin when the sign is lit, expect a swerve for the exit!

Golf1echo
10-12-2011, 10:14
I find a French press and fresh ground beans is hard to beat for a good cup or two, especially in the field ( camping press and grinder can both be found at places like REI and some outfitters). For beans Peet's is very good and fresh.

An old cowboy down in Tucson told me that a drop or two of Tabasco in a bitter cup of coffee would make it more palatable, I have found that strangely true the few times I have tried it.

Roasted Dandelion root can make a coffee substitute if necessary ( more like Chicory substitute since the two plants are related) be aware that although Dandelion is edible and recommended for anemia....it is an appetite stimulant, probably why it is recommended for anemia, so be prepared for an onset extreme munchies. I enjoy Spruce tea so much better than the roasted roots like Dandelion.

Yarrow tea or Alpine tea is a powerful stimulant drink and not to bad, be careful not to drink too much as it is known to aggravate the kidneys if taken in excess.

akv
10-12-2011, 15:06
I had forgotten about "Navy Coffee". Years back I had learned of it. The story goes it got started with making coffee with brackish ship's water. I put a few good shakes of salt over the grounds before I slid the basket in Mr Coffee. It does give a better taste. I'll have to give it another go.

Sir, despite the Navy bias, this might help, the salt does cut out the bitterness.

It's amazing just how prevalent these gourmet coffee shops are. Not just Starbuck's, but Timothy's, Second Cup, Seattle's Best, et cetera. And that's just the franchises operating here in Ottawa. I'll bet there are tons more where you live.

And of course you have the blends. Kona, Dark Roast, Guatemalan, flavored blends like Irish Creme, Hazelnut and Raspberry -- it's getting so that getting coffee is like getting a bottle of wine from a snooty sommelier.

Enough is enough. The Urban Possum's morning preference is a regular cup of coffee--no blends, no roasts specified, nothing exotic. Just plain coffee, thank you very much.

And to brew that coffee right, you need to do it the Navy way.

It's hard to say who came up with the idea -- the Royal Navy, or the United States Navy. (I lean towards the latter.) But whoever came up with it, it's the perfect brew for fulfilling what is coffee's major function--to stimulate the brain into a sense of alertness. This is vitally important when you're trying to work on a pitching ship in the middle of the ocean. And it's no less vital just because the ship you're in is actually the no. 95 bus to downtown.

So, here we go:

1. Use an economy-brand coffee. Mother Parker's, for example, or Chase & Sanborn. If you have to talk in terms of roasts, these brands are a light to medium--perfectly acceptable to a majority of people. Their virtue is that they're cheap--hey, it's Navy coffee. We're talking government suppliers here.

2. Use 2 level tablespoons for each 8-ounce cup. The standard measure for coffee is 1 level tablespoon for a 6-ounce cup. The power of Navy Coffee does not derive from the strength of the roast, but from the amount of coffee used, so as you can see, this one is stronger than most. Some old chiefs like the coffee so strong that it actually seems chewy (that comes from the tannins in the coffee and their effects on the tooth surface), but we don't need to go quite that far.

3. Salt the grounds before you begin brewing. Salt, as in ordinary table salt. The measurement is a pinch, which is about 1/8th to a maximum of 1/4 teaspoon per 5 cups brewed. This is the secret to True Navy coffee: the salt will cut the initial bitterness of the coffee, but takes nothing away from the aroma. Don't worry too much about the taste, Navy coffee won't taste salty unless you use too much of it.

You drink it strong and black--no cream or sugar in the morning, you want that caffeine to hit your brain unencumbered by sweetness or fats. (Afternoon and evening, of course, it's a different story--then you'll need the caloric energy of the sugar and cream to get through the night watch.) It's the kind of coffee that's best served in a heavy china mug--no weak army tin, no wimpy plastic commuter's thermos or styrofoam cup.

Not that is a True Cup of Coffee, Mister Starbuck.

http://theurbanpossum.blogspot.com/2004/11/navy-coffee.html

Dusty
10-12-2011, 16:18

I concur. :cool:

RB
10-12-2011, 16:19
Best and worst in 1 shot, never had a bad cup after that:

SFAS, Military Orienteering, had my own F-150 and I had a green thermite bouncing around in the back for who knows how many days. At a finish point 1 morning I decided to see what was in 'said' thermite....oh look, coffee.

Had the already arrived candidates stoke up a fire, found some commo wire and a ziplock, and proceeded to heat 'said' found coffee over a tripod, in the ziplock, over the fire.

Best......and worst, ever, cup of coffee I've ever had, but never had a cup of coffee that tasted worse than that day's cup. :cool:

Colombian Sello Dorado is the best ever, Sello Rojo runs a cool second. "Compare" (http://www.comparesupermarkets.com/showStore.php?SID=41) in Fayetteville carries SR and will call you if you have a special international order. ;)

Dusty
10-12-2011, 16:23
Colombian Sello Dorado is the best ever, ;)

That stuff's so good, it makes you paranoid to take a piss test! :D

The Reaper
10-12-2011, 16:56
Best and worst in 1 shot, never had a bad cup after that:

SFAS, Military Orienteering, had my own F-150 and I had a green thermite bouncing around in the back for who knows how many days. At a finish point 1 morning I decided to see what was in 'said' thermite....oh look, coffee.

Had the already arrived candidates stoke up a fire, found some commo wire and a ziplock, and proceeded to heat 'said' found coffee over a tripod, in the ziplock, over the fire.

Best......and worst, ever, cup of coffee I've ever had, but never had a cup of coffee that tasted worse than that day's cup. :cool:

Colombian Sello Dorado is the best ever, Sello Rojo runs a cool second. "Compare" (http://www.comparesupermarkets.com/showStore.php?SID=41) in Fayetteville carries SR and will call you if you have a special international order. ;)

I hope you mean a "Mermite".

If you hang a thermite over a fire, you better have your nomex on and be prepared for a fireworks show.

TR

Dusty
10-12-2011, 17:02
I hope you mean a "Mermite".

If you hang thermite over a fire, you better have your nomex on and be prepared for a fireworks show.

TR

Thermos, maybe. :D

PRB
10-12-2011, 17:29
Thermos, maybe. :D

No he's correct...a 'Thermite' is one who uses a Thermos improperly

Barbarian
10-12-2011, 17:45
No he's correct...a 'Thermite' is one who uses a Thermos improperly

.......:D:D:D:D

s
10-13-2011, 06:16

Same here, but the evil starbucks was in seattle. For general reference, I of course drink espresso being the nice Italian that I am. However I'm ok with other coffee types like french ( I lived in Paris for almost a year) and american coffee. I tried turkish coffee and irish ( don't you ever try it on post or driving on base. if you get PBT'd you'll get popped) . One thing stays the same no matter what: I don't put anything in my coffee. No flavourers, no creamers, NO sugar. Nothing.
Well, it was the first time I ever threw the content of cup/mug away in my whole life. Two sips and I'd had enough.

Dusty
10-13-2011, 06:24
Same here, but the evil starbucks was in seattle. For general reference, I of course drink espresso being the nice Italian that I am.

In my experience, espresso is no more than a hangover pain amplifier.

s
10-13-2011, 06:35

Ahahaha..
The appeal depends on personal experience and of course on the espresso.
Well Sir, if you ever find yourself in NAS Sigonella please let me know and I'll be more than glad to let you taste the best hangover pain amplifier of your life. :D:D

To me, an espresso is a glorious way to start your day. Absolutely black, needless to say.
A strong blow straight in the face. Sets me up for tackling every challenge life puts before me. Cannot live W/out it.

Bill Harsey
10-13-2011, 07:47
Speaking of worst coffees and trying to avoid that...
Anyone have any experience with the Bialetti stove top coffee makers?

see pic.

s
10-13-2011, 08:32
Yep. I used them for years and liked the cofee they brew. Is there anything you'd like to know about those?

Bill Harsey
10-13-2011, 09:18
Yep. I used them for years and liked the cofee they brew. Is there anything you'd like to know about those?

Wanted to try one out for camping at higher elevations to see if the water got warmer, also thought it would be good to have around here when the power goes out.

What grind do you use in them?

Ret10Echo
10-13-2011, 10:05

Not with liberal doses of Goodys powders :D

s
10-13-2011, 15:00
Wanted to try one out for camping at higher elevations to see if the water got warmer, also thought it would be good to have around here when the power goes out.

What grind do you use in them?

I used alternatively lavazza's "qualità rossa" and "crema e gusto".

http://www.lavazza.com/corporate/en/products/home/blends/#link_1

if you decide to buy a stove top coffee maker remember to do a couple dry runs before brewing any coffee. By dry run I mean filling the tank up with water, no coffee in the filter and then on the stove as if making a brew. This will sterilize it and wash away the aluminum taste from the coffee maker. Those stove top coffee makers are commonly referred to as mokas.
After the dry runs you can brew coffee. First brew usually goes down the sink as it doesn't taste as good as the following will do. Never press down coffee onto the filter so as to compact it. It will only slow water down causing the coffee to burn. Also, brews will leave some kind of coffee film or coating which will improve the taste of coffee with time. An old and very used moka is a good moka. Never wash mokas with dish soaps or any other detergents, always just rinse it with plain water. Or your brews will taste like soap.
If for instance the wife uses soap not knowing that she shouldn't, a couple of dry runs will fix the problem.
If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Gypsy
10-13-2011, 17:46
SOne thing stays the same no matter what: I don't put anything in my coffee.

Damn skippy!

I miss the old fashioned percolator coffee makers, they make some fantastic coffee.

mojaveman
10-13-2011, 19:17

see pic.

Brang one back from Europe a few years ago. They're popular over there. No paper filter so some grounds get into the final product. The smaller ones are ideal for traveling or camping.

PRB
10-13-2011, 19:21
Ok, go to the Commissary on post and find 'Jacobs' brand coffee, it's a German brand.
Try that in your whatever drip grind style brewer...it'll wean you off that Starbucks acidic crap....;)

scooter
10-13-2011, 19:55
Ok, go to the Commissary on post and find 'Jacobs' brand coffee, it's a German brand.
Try that in your whatever drip grind style brewer...it'll wean you off that Starbucks acidic crap....;)

We'll see.....

PRB
10-13-2011, 21:37
We'll see.....

and drink it outta your canteen cup....l

Richard
10-14-2011, 03:57

I bought nothing but Jacobs Kronung when living in Germany and it is GOOD coffee. The commissary on JRBFW carries it, however, since it's an hour each way there and back from here, I don't use it and have found either finely ground Gold Coast or Verona from Starbucks is very close to the Kronung in flavor and richness in a cone filter drip coffee maker.

Richard :munchin

1stindoor
10-14-2011, 05:26
This is what a coffee bean should like...

Here's my source: http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=232

Golf1echo
10-14-2011, 06:56
Here is one of the coffees I love..... http://www.peets.com/shop/coffee_detail.asp?id=49&cid=1005 ( Arabian Mocha- Java)I stopped purchasing it a few years back because I am not clear on who exactly gets the funds? Perhaps after a few more successes I will enjoy it again ;) I am told that East Timor Coffee is off the shelf for conflict reasons too. Interesting how conflict and great coffee are sometimes related.

Edit: It would be an interesting project to have a coffee bean auction for the foundation....If this group couldn't get their hands on the best coffees from around the world, I don't know who could?

tonyz
10-14-2011, 07:51

I have used the same Bialetti-Junior-Express-6-Cup coffee maker (or similar larger vrsion) most every day for more than 10 years.

They are good solid tools - no glass to break - no paper filters. You may have to replace a gasket every 5+ years or so depending on use.

These pots are low maintenance, fairly sturdy and reliable - good advice on here to merely rinse with water only - no need to use dish soap.

I sometimes use a smaller 3-cup version with a Trangia alcohol stove on the back of the pick-up. It is nice to be on the road and brew your own coffee - just rinse the pot and throw it into the back of the truck - no glass to break.

I use espresso coffee only – Café Bustelo or Lavazza or other - as available. Amazon has the stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Junior-Express-6%252dCup-Coffeemaker/dp/B000GZGKXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1318599400&sr=1-1

frostfire
10-20-2011, 12:07
This is what a coffee bean should like...

what about this one? :D I once had the world's "sh*ttiest coffee aka the crappucino. It wasn't too bad.

Best coffee for me is actually the instant one in MRE. Mix that with those MRE choco or shake powder, and life is good. Voila! Field expedient starbucks

s
10-21-2011, 19:24
just rinse the pot and throw it into the back of the truck -

Careful there, I'm not the only one in the law enforcement field here. I'm just the only one who doesn't live in the states... ... :D:D