PDA

View Full Version : .308 Shells

Warrior-Mentor
04-28-2009, 12:18
Looking for help for a Gold Star friend.

Anyone with ideas/advice where he can find .308 shells...

Please post here and/or send Tatonka316 a pm...

Thanks,
JM

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 9:54 pm
Subject:

Hi Joe!

I am ALWAYS looking for shell casings! I just got a re-loading press donated to Junior's Bullet Pen Company from Redding Reloading Equipment, and I have some On-the-Job training this weekend with using it. It will allow me to use a standard .308 with a 7.62 mm neck to be swaged down to the 7 mm neck size I need for my pen components - do I sound like I know what I am talking about or what?!?!?

Anyway, if you have any ideas about getting brass, I would LOVE to hear about them!

Thanks for everything.

molon labe

cornelyj
04-28-2009, 12:43
pm sent....

Paslode
04-28-2009, 13:09
Locally at least Cabelas has Rem 308 cases for about $40 per 100. They have 7mm-08 as well.

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-28-2009, 22:43
Where you get them can matter if you are a "match" quality loader. By collecting from assorted shooting places (ranges). You will find a difference in Brass weight. Meaning that heaver weighted brass will have a higher pressure with the same amount of powder as a lesser weight brass. Reason is the outside of the brass is the same size the inside may vary in thickness and provide decreased volume. So weigh the brass and group be type and weight. and chrony, chrony, chrony. Blitzzz

incarcerated
04-29-2009, 00:10
Natchez Shooters Supply
1-800-251-7839

Midsouth Shooters Supply
1-800-272-3000

Jeff Bartlett
270-685-2432 or 800-714-6348

Wideners Reloading
1-800-615-3006

D&R Sports

The Reaper
04-29-2009, 05:27
Where you get them can matter if you are a "match" quality loader. By collecting from assorted shooting places (ranges). You will find a difference in Brass weight. Meaning that heaver weighted brass will have a higher pressure with the same amount of powder as a lesser weight brass. Reason is the outside of the brass is the same size the inside may vary in thickness and provide decreased volume. So weigh the brass and group be type and weight. and chrony, chrony, chrony. Blitzzz

The internals for the pens he is making will not generate enough pressure to matter what the case volume is.:D

TR

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-29-2009, 07:47
guess I should read further back some times.

Tatonka316
04-29-2009, 19:59
Thanks to all who have posted for me! I truly appreciate your help, as does the Special Operations Warrior Foundation that will ultimately benefit - for the less money I spend on brass, the more that I can donate to the kids of our fallen heroes.

We are working on some exciting things for Junior's Bullet Pen Company, and I will keep you posted as things progress!

molon labe
Tatonka316

Tatonka316
04-29-2009, 20:19
Reaper - Looks like you are on this thread, so I have a quick question:

What do you know about nickel plated .308 brass? I ordered some a while back, and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I was thinking of making bullet pens out of nickel plated cases - particularly for Pete Coors! He attended the street dedication for Chris on 3/16/2009 - 316 for his ODA - and I gave him a bullet pen. He loved it, and apparently he is a gun enthusiast. Well, I was thinking that the "other name" for Coors Light is The Silver Bullet - so I am going to make a few silver bullet pens.

But, my main question for you is - If I have them engraved with "Coors Light" logo, do you have any idea if the engraving will be in the nickel or is there "regular" brass underneath the nickel plating?

Just curious if you have any intel - I will let you know what happens after I get my nickel plated brass.

Thanks for EVERYTHING!

molon labe
Tatonka316

The Reaper
04-29-2009, 20:39
Reaper - Looks like you are on this thread, so I have a quick question:

What do you know about nickel plated .308 brass? I ordered some a while back, and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I was thinking of making bullet pens out of nickel plated cases - particularly for Pete Coors! He attended the street dedication for Chris on 3/16/2009 - 316 for his ODA - and I gave him a bullet pen. He loved it, and apparently he is a gun enthusiast. Well, I was thinking that the "other name" for Coors Light is The Silver Bullet - so I am going to make a few silver bullet pens.

But, my main question for you is - If I have them engraved with "Coors Light" logo, do you have any idea if the engraving will be in the nickel or is there "regular" brass underneath the nickel plating?

Just curious if you have any intel - I will let you know what happens after I get my nickel plated brass.

Thanks for EVERYTHING!

molon labe
Tatonka316

Nickel brass is just that-plated. I would say you would be good to go, but since you have to neck them down to 7mm, I am not sure that the nickel is going to tolerate the sizing without flaking off. Same with engraving. The brass is slightly thicker from the plating, but not much, or it wouldn't chamber. I suspect that engraving is going to flake the nickel off as well. Best to do that sort of thing first, and then have it plated, perhaps in real silver.

If all you are doing on the exposed surfaces is sizing, you might look into 7mm-08 brass and see if you can find it nickel plated. That would also remove a step from your process.

Best of luck.

TR

Paslode
04-29-2009, 21:10
If you can do anything with Berden primed brass I could send you a hundred rounds or so.

Tatonka316
04-29-2009, 21:19
Hi Paslode!

Thanks for the offer! I will see if that round will work, and then I will let you know. I have to have the neck size be 7 mm for the pen components, but the length of the case also has to fit the components - so let me look into it either tomorrow or Fri and I will get back to you!

molon labe
Tatonka31

Tatonka316
04-29-2009, 21:25
TR

GREAT suggestion about getting nickle plated 7mm-08 if it is available. The problem I have had since 4 Nov is the availability of 7mm-08 brass has been really hard to get. That is why I am swaging 7.62 down so I can use my current pen components. But I will look into getting nickle plated 7mm-08.

I can't remember if you or Team Sergeant had some issue with Black Hills and back orders. I, too have had to wait a very long time to get brass from Midway, particularly 7mm-08 brass. But recently, there seems to be more available.

molon labe
Tatonka316

allester666
04-30-2009, 18:04
I am in the middle of a PCS move, but I have a few days before my goods get picked up and I think I have about 50 casings that I am not going to reload. PM me.

allester666
05-02-2009, 08:50
Sent 60 casings, 40 were Hornady TAP (nickel plated), and the other 20 were Hornady match rounds.

Utah Bob
05-04-2009, 04:28
Dang. Thought I had some but all I could turn up was .303 Brit. I'll keep my eyes peeled.