PDA

View Full Version : Napolitano: Closing border not the answer to flu

Paslode
04-27-2009, 17:45
Considering all the hoopla on this Swine Flu virus and talk of potential epidemics....this seems like kind of a bizzarre attitiude to take towards the swine flu considering the cross border traffic could futher spread the virus.

That is, if this potential problem is a true problem and not some game to raise voter confidence.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/napolitano-closing-border-not-the-answer-to-flu-2009-04-27.html

Napolitano: Closing border not the answer to flu
Contributed by Bridget Johnson
04/27/09 04:05 PM [ET]

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano defended the government's response at a press conference Monday afternoon as reporters asked her about the risk of asymptomatic swine flu carriers entering the country.
Napolitano said the strategy of identifying and isolating those who seem ill and try to cross into the United States was adequate given the circumstances, as a reporter asked if closure of the border had been considered.

"We're already doing passive surveillance at the border," Napolitano said. "You would close the border if you thought you
could contain the spread of disease, but the disease is already in a number of U.S. states."

Noting that those infected with swine flu may not show symptoms for a few days, Napolitano said border closure is "a
very difficult judgment to make." Napolitano said Sunday night that there was no "realistic hope of containment" that would motivate a border closure, as
was called for Saturday by Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.). Napolitano said at the Monday conference that her department's preparations were as rigorous as if the swine flu was at pandemic status, and included sending doses of anti-viral medication to government employees manning the Mexican border.

"We are simply in preparation mode," Napolitano said. "We do not yet know how widespread this flu will be within the United States."

The DHS secretary spoke with the Mexican ambassador and would be speaking with her Canadian counterpart in what she called a "tri-national approach" at flu containment.
"Mexico's had a much more acute problem to solve," Napolitano said. "It will help with our planning if we can see how widespread this really is in Mexico."
Napolitano also said she had reached out to the governors of the states in which cases of swine flu have surfaced, and said these states and the border states would have priority in accessing the Tamiflu stockpile. "Full deployment" of the stockpile, she said, was expected by May 3.
Swine flu warnings had been posted at airport gates and fliers on the disease were being distributed at land ports, she said, and 19 airports have quarantine available that would cover about 85 percent of air travelers. "We haven't needed to activate that," she said.
When pressed about her acknowledgment that asymptomatic flu carriers could enter the country, Napolitano stressed the need for personal responsibility in preventing the spread of the disease. "If people are sick and if you believe you have the flu ... we're asking people don't go to school, don't go to work, don't go to a place where you can infect other people.

"We believe at this level the appropriate precautions have been made."

Penn
04-27-2009, 18:01
We have it under control, translates to WTF Over.......... So, I was thinking about the earthquake that just hit Mexico City, if the city should get hit again with an aftershock greater than 6.2, the infrastructure will be hit hard. Imho, the government is ill equipped to handle that emergency and combine it the swine flu, I believe the country will implode. Can you image the boarders at the moment? The only good thing, this virus is developing now, out of season. If it survives through to the fall, I think it will be devastating; as it will have enough time to form into a real deal killer.

Paslode
04-27-2009, 18:23
We have it under control, translates to WTF Over.......... So, I was thinking about the earthquake that just hit Mexico City, if the city should get hit again with an aftershock greater than 6.2, the infrastructure will be hit hard. Imho, the government is ill equipped to handle that emergency and combine it the swine flu, I believe the country will implode. Can you image the boarders at the moment? The only good thing, this virus is developing now, out of season. If it survives through to the fall, I think it will be devastating; as it will have enough time to form into a real deal killer.

The Mexican Government is fighting for life, add the drug wars, the flu and now an earthquake. If things get much worse down there, the border might get over run.

I am sure 'O' will come to the rescue.

As for the flu and the potential doom, my wife works at hospital that services all end of the spectrum, there is no talk, no bulletins or alerts, no talk of flu shots...it is busness as usual.

You 'd think there would be some jibber-jabber going on at the hospital if there were a potential crisises looming.

I might add this 'potential' crisis coincides with the House and the Senate voting this week on budget appropriation to begin National Health Care. Apparently Pelosi is trying to run this through procedure known as “Reconciliation” which only requires 50 votes for passage.

A crisis is a terrible thing to waste......:rolleyes:

The Reaper
04-27-2009, 18:38
Considering all the hoopla on this Swine Flu virus and talk of potential epidemics....this seems like kind of a bizzarre attitiude to take towards the swine flu considering the cross border traffic could futher spread the virus.

That is, if this potential problem is a true problem and not some game to raise voter confidence.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/napolitano-closing-border-not-the-answer-to-flu-2009-04-27.html

Well of course that would not help. What kind of idiots do you think these illegals are that they would leave the infected area with their dilapidated health care facilities and head to the free, first-class care in the U.S.?

Of course no one who is infected would dare cross the border.

Napolitano is clearly placing the blame for this outbreak where it belongs, on conservative, Christian, gun owning former vets, who did not vote for Mr. Obama.:rolleyes:

TR

2charlie
04-28-2009, 07:04
I have heard nothing from this woman except excuses to not do her job. She has put her foot in her mouth more times than I can count. If terrorists crossing the border, infected people crossing, drug trafficking, and the general problem of illegal imigration as a whole won't prompt this woman to do something about the border then I have to wonder what she is waiting for.....

Paslode
04-28-2009, 09:31
I thought about her comments about not closing the border, and in comparison it is essentially like one of my customers calling because they hear water running and I tell them it is nothing to worry about until there is standing water in their basement.

Where as the proper thing to recommend is to run down stairs and shut the main off until we isolate the problem.

I am sure their is a method to their madness :munchin

Saoirse
04-28-2009, 10:20

Napolitano: Closing border not the answer to flu
Contributed by Bridget Johnson
04/27/09 04:05 PM [ET]

"We're already doing passive surveillance at the border," Napolitano said. "You would close the border if you thought you
could contain the spread of disease, but the disease is already in a number of U.S. states."
Sooooo...because it's already here in the US, why bother PREVENTING more of it coming in. Am I understanding this so far?

Noting that those infected with swine flu may not show symptoms for a few days, Napolitano said border closure is "a
very difficult judgment to make." Napolitano said Sunday night that there was no "realistic hope of containment" that would motivate a border closure, as
was called for Saturday by Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.). Napolitano said at the Monday conference that her department's preparations were as rigorous as if the swine flu was at pandemic status, and included sending doses of anti-viral medication to government employees manning the Mexican border.
"We are simply in preparation mode," Napolitano said. "We do not yet know how widespread this flu will be within the United States."
Sooooo....because We Don't Know YET, why bother being proactive instead of being reactive? WTF??? This idiot contradicts herself in the first comments of this article!

"Mexico's had a much more acute problem to solve," Napolitano said. "It will help with our planning if we can see how widespread this really is in Mexico."

When pressed about her acknowledgment that asymptomatic flu carriers could enter the country, Napolitano stressed the need for personal responsibility in preventing the spread of the disease. "If people are sick and if you believe you have the flu ... we're asking people don't go to school, don't go to work, don't go to a place where you can infect other people.

"We believe at this level the appropriate precautions have been made."

So the bottom line is, this is not her responsibility, nor the governments. They are going to be reactive instead of proactive and they want citizens and well hell, the illegals, to be responsible and stay home if they are sick!? And they want to see how bad things get in Mexico FIRST? I can see them all now, Nappy Napolitano and her ilk, sitting on their fat lazy butts twindling their thumbs like Oliver Hardy....just waiting! Am I understanding this correctly now?

The Reaper
04-28-2009, 10:42
Janet has another bad idea...

TR

http://www.wftv.com/news/19311020/detail.html

Swine Flu Case Confirmed In Orlando
Posted: 10:41 am EDT April 28, 2009
Updated: 12:21 pm EDT April 28, 2009

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Eyewitness News has learned of Orlando's first confirmed case of swine flu. According to the chief medical officer for Adventist Health System, Loran Hauck, the case was diagnosed Tuesday morning.

"A case was diagnosed here in Orlando today on a tourist from Mexico who came to Disney attractions two days ago to visit," Hauck wrote in an email obtained by Eyewitness News.

Saoirse
04-28-2009, 10:50
Janet has another bad idea...

TR

http://www.wftv.com/news/19311020/detail.html

Swine Flu Case Confirmed In Orlando
Posted: 10:41 am EDT April 28, 2009
Updated: 12:21 pm EDT April 28, 2009

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Eyewitness News has learned of Orlando's first confirmed case of swine flu. According to the chief medical officer for Adventist Health System, Loran Hauck, the case was diagnosed Tuesday morning.

"A case was diagnosed here in Orlando today on a tourist from Mexico who came to Disney attractions two days ago to visit," Hauck wrote in an email obtained by Eyewitness News.

Two days ago? I wonder how many people that this person has had contact with? I can see the pyramid building from just this ONE person.
Good job, Nappy Napolitano, "two thumbs up". :mad:

Utah Bob
04-28-2009, 11:16
Napolitano is the incompetent head of an incompetent agency!

Pete S
04-28-2009, 11:26
Much of this swine flu debacle, as far the spreading in CONUS, is being overblown by the media.

Our border and customs response should still be increased as a preventative measure however.

This could be some good practice for all the military biological units that have been neglected during GWOT.
Keep those skill sets fresh.

AngelsSix
04-28-2009, 16:52
JNap can kiss it. She is n incompetent fool. Safe in her little world, nothing can hurt her or the rest of the politicos.
:rolleyes:
So much for Democratic reform.:munchin