PDA

View Full Version : Why Google Wants You to Google Yourself

Richard
04-27-2009, 14:06
It ain't just the NSA out there now...;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Why Google Wants You to Google Yourself
Tom McNichol, Time, 25Apr 2009

The act of Googling oneself has become the digital age's premiere guilty pleasure — an activity enjoyed by all and admitted by few. The phenomenon has even been the subject of scholarly research. Last year, a team of Swiss and Australian social scientists published a study concluding that the practice of self-Googling (or "Egosurfing" as it's sometimes called) can partly be traced to a rise in narcissism in society but is also an attempt by people to identify and shape their personal online "brand." The authors of the survey no doubt returned to their cubicles and Googled themselves to see if the study was posted online.

The folks at Google are well aware that their site handles millions of vanity searches every day, and that users aren't always thrilled about the results that pop up when they Google themselves.

"The reason people search for themselves is that they're curious about what other people see when they search for their name," says Joe Kraus, Google's director of product management. "One problem is they don't have any control over the search results. Either they don't like the search results, or what happens most of the time is, they're not listed on the first page. If your name is Brian Jones and you're not the deceased Rolling Stones guitarist, you don't exist."

To give people a bit more control over search results, Google introduced a new feature this week it calls a "Google profile" that users can create so that a thumbnail of personal information appears at the bottom of U.S. name-query search pages. Once users create a Google profile, their name, occupation, location (and photo if they choose), appears in a box on the first page of the search results for their name. Next to the thumbnail info, there's a link to a full Google profile page that in many ways resembles a Facebook page.

The similarity to Facebook is no accident. Google profiles are the search giant's fiendishly clever attempt to turn your egosurfing pain into their gain. By giving users a modicum of control over the results that appear on a search for their name, Google hopes to establish a social network beachhead and take on wildly popular sites like Facebook and MySpace. Facebook users who otherwise couldn't be bothered to set up a separate profile page on Google might find the idea appealing if it gives them some control over the Google search results for their name. And if you're already using Gmail for email, Google Maps for directions, and Google's Picasa for photo sharing, you may wind up spending more time with your Google profile than your Facebook or MySpace page.

The Google profile lets you set up a personalized page where you can include links to your blog, Twitter feed or company website, plus share online photos and link to your other personal profiles on sites such as Facebook, MySpace, and LinkedIn. There's room for a brief bio, along with a place to list your current interests, places you've lived and schools you've attended. There's also a space that asks you to list your "superpower," proof that the engineers at Google have a sense of humor. Or think they do.

Like Facebook, your Google profile doesn't display any private information unless you've explicitly added it. You can share info with friends and family, and control who sees what. There's no Google profile feature that lets you "friend" another user — at least not yet. But there is a "Send a message" feature that lets anyone with a Google account email you without revealing your email address. Another feature called "My places" displays all the cities you've entered on your profile and your current location on a map. A Google map, of course.

The more information you add to your profile, the higher your page is likely to be ranked on a Google search for your name and associated keywords, such as the name of your hometown, your job title, or where you work or go to school. And the more richly detailed your Google profile is, the more Google knows about you. There's no advertising attached to Google profiles, but in the future, the company could easily sell ads targeted to your personal details, much as they've already done on Gmail.

These days, Big Brother isn't just watching you — he wants to know your superpower and the name of your childhood pet. And he already knows you like to Google yourself, so don't try to deny it.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1893965,00.html?xid=newsletter-weekly

greenberetTFS
04-27-2009, 14:20
It ain't just the NSA out there now...;)

Richard's $.02

Why Google Wants You to Google Yourself
Tom McNichol, Time, 25Apr 2009

[I]The act of Googling oneself has become the digital age's premiere guilty pleasure — an activity enjoyed by all and admitted by few. The phenomenon has even been the subject of scholarly research. Last year, a team of Swiss and Australian social scientists published a study concluding that the practice of self-Googling (or "Egosurfing" as it's sometimes called) can partly be traced to a rise in narcissism in society but is also an attempt by people to identify and shape their personal online "brand." The authors of the survey no doubt returned to their cubicles and Googled themselves to see if the study was posted online.

Richard,

Googleing yourself ......................Hummmmmm:p:rolleyes:

GB TFS :munchin

nmap
04-27-2009, 16:39
I guess there are people who want to promote themselves and broadcast information about themselves, but I can't see much benefit in it.

alright4u
04-27-2009, 19:20
I admit I have done it, as I could not find the comment I left about an SF man who was KIA with Jerry.

Sigaba
04-27-2009, 19:53
I do what I can to cover my tracks on 'the internets.' So I google myself about three times a year.

My first search of this year was the first time in years that I got a 'hit' that was actually me.:(

nmap
04-27-2009, 20:06
Some years ago, a friend put his resume up on a University web site. He included lots of good informaiton...even his social security number. :eek:

Then he deleted it. That didn't do much good, since it was still available in Google cache.

Fortunately, a new version of the resume with a lot less information and the exact same file name, placed in the same location, caused the old one to be overwritten.

Sigaba
04-29-2009, 17:39
Can you say "SkyNet"?:eek:

Source is here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/28/AR2009042802280_pf.html).

Google Unveils New Tool To Dig for Public Data

By Kim Hart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Google launched a new search tool yesterday designed to help Web users find public data that is often buried in hard-to-navigate government Web sites.

The tool, called Google Public Data, is the latest in the company's efforts to make information from federal, state and local governments accessible to citizens. It's a goal that many Washington public interest groups and government watchdogs share with President Obama, whose technology advisers are pushing to open up federal data to the public.

The company plans to initially make available U.S. population and unemployment data from the Census Bureau and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, respectively. Other data sets, such as emissions statistics from the Environmental Protection Agency, will roll out in the coming months.

Google is one of a number of Internet properties, including Wikipedia and Amazon, that has been trying to make it easier to find government information on the Web.

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales has urged agencies to write their own "wikis," or self-edited entries, that can make government information and processes more accessible to the public. Amazon created an open data repository so developers and researchers can share data and collaborate on sifting through it. Google's Washington employees have spent the past two years visiting government agencies to urge them to make their Web sites, records and databases more searchable.

The E-Government Act of 2002 required government agencies to make information more accessible electronically, but users have complained that many agencies do not organize their Web sites so they can be easily indexed by search engines. And some agencies, Google has said, embed codes in their sites that make certain pages invisible to search engines.

"Information from government sources has been one of the thornier areas," said David Girouard, president of Google Enterprise, which includes the federal team. The new tool "is taking data, reformatting it so it's immediately consumable . . . so people don't have to go through rows and rows of data."

With Google's new tool, a Web user can search for a specific piece of data -- unemployment rates in Maryland, for example -- and a box appears at the top of the search results displaying the available relevant public data.

Clay Johnson, director of Sunlight Labs, a project within the Sunlight Foundation that uses technology to improve government transparency, said he's encouraged by Google's new tool, although he has not yet used it.

He cautioned, however, that there is no guarantee that government data is free of typographical and other errors.

He added that specific pieces of data could be misleading without a full understanding of how it fits with other information that may not be visible. For example, a Google searcher may not know enough about campaign contribution laws to spot inaccurate data entries or statistics.

Data tools should allow user feedback, Johnson said, to alert agencies to flawed data. Sunlight Labs is urging Federal Chief Information Officer Vivek Kundra to implement a feedback loop on Data.gov, a site he has proposed that would catalog public data.

"There's a lot to be wary about," Johnson said. "We don't live in a world free of typos."
I'd prefer Google to concentrate its efforts in this project to making data at government websites a bit easier to obtain. For example, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics' website is a nightmare to navigate. The Census Bureau's website leaves a lot to be desired. (Don't get me started on the State Department's electronic reading room.)

Richard
04-29-2009, 19:12
(Don't get me started on the State Department's electronic reading room.)

You need a T-1000 unit to navigate it all. ;)

I do love the archives (prior to 20 Jan 2009) - all the pics of Secretary Rice.

Sigaba
04-29-2009, 22:43
You need a T-1000 unit to navigate it all. ;)

I'm flying to Scotland on Saturday.

Richard--

If you meet a woman named Catherine Weaver who looks like this (http://sarahconnorsociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/normal_terminatorsarahconnorshirleymanson.jpg), and wants to strike up a conversation about American folklore, run like hell if you can.:eek: At the very least, don't go here (http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/09/article-0-0294870900000578-75_468x326.jpg).;)

I am just saying.:)

Saoirse
04-29-2009, 22:53
I admit..I googled myself. Came up with NOTHING! Of course, having been married ONCE and divorced has its benefits. However, when I googled myself under my maiden name, looking for old news articles from when I was LEO....NOTHING again! Cool...I am a non-entity then! :lifter

TOMAHAWK9521
04-30-2009, 08:28
But can Google find BHO's birth certificate, college transcripts and doctorate thesis ?

armymom1228
04-30-2009, 09:38
I admit..I googled myself. Came up with NOTHING! Of course, having been married ONCE and divorced has its benefits. However, when I googled myself under my maiden name, looking for old news articles from when I was LEO....NOTHING again! Cool...I am a non-entity then! :lifter

Not necessarily... I can take your maiden name or your married and in 10 minutes or less tell you, for free, who that name is associated with and where you lived in the past ten years... and how old you are..
I can backwards trace a phone number, including a cell # in less then 5 minutes to its town and if I tried a little harder the cell it is currently working thru... (grins)
All for free and all on the interenet... If I chose to pay a fee I could find out how many times a day you hit the head.. don't think that just because your name does not come up in a general boolean search it is not out there..

Try googling your chatboard nicks.. it is amazing what one can find out there.

There is a reason there are very few photos of me period. My MySpace and Photobucket accounts are locked.. I erased anything in them that I do not want someone to have just in case. I have nothing to hide. But I do have a constitutional right to privacy. I do as much as I can to maintain that right.. OTOH...there are those on this board who know exactly WHO I am.. I am not that far gone yet that I think the black helos are hovering.. oh wait.. what WAS that noise overhead?:D Scuse me while I don my tinfoil..there I feel much better now..
AM

Richard
04-30-2009, 10:28
Richard--If you meet...run like hell if you can. I am just saying.:)

Thanks for the advice, but my wife - the only person on this planet who I'm afraid to cross - will take care of her. :p

BTW - how's that defensive fighting position you're digging in your avatar coming along? Slow progress, I'll wager. :rolleyes:

grog18b
04-30-2009, 17:21
If you are in LE, I recommend checking your name out as much as possible. You'd be surprised at what information is out there... Mine brings up a bunch of news articles and court cases, but there are also listings about real estate transactions (when you buy or sell a home) and stuff that criminals can use to track down your home location.