PDA

View Full Version : Is genuine interest enough

bigbob
04-26-2009, 03:47
Hi, I have no prior military service, but I would like to attempt selection for special forces. I have always been interested in this sort of thing concerning servicemen who can be trusted to excell at the peak of mental and physical achievment. It is only recently that i have really begun to think of this as something i should do. I went over the "match your interests" section on Go army.com and i got a close match to several special forces roles, THEN i took it up as a priority to get in shape with some difficulty, but certainly fit enough now.

As for myself, I do see myself as becoming a jack of all trades, and doing what i can to become as reliable as possible. After recearching the roles a bit, I am fully aware that there is a large failure rate, however I am confident that maybe i have small advantage by taking it seriously to become a green beret, rather than just leave it up for grabs (some others may say "oh well i could just do something else").

However I will not say nor act like I am going to be SF qualified until I am certain that I will be accepted first. I feel that I can carry much heavier responsibilities and achieve some serious goals, but I have had an issue with achievement level in the past. Through the eyes of a recruiter, I bet they are looking for a record of picking up responsibilities and showing reliability, and the simple fact is that i dont know how to present myself to show it.

I just keep having nightmares that im going to get too old (im 24) and lose my oportunity to prove myself without achieving something serious. I just need some advice on how compose myself.

Pete
04-26-2009, 04:32
Read more - post less.

Richard
04-26-2009, 04:42
Intro is good - now do your Bio (Public Profile) as instructed - FTFSI is not an SQI you want to acquire here.

Dozer523
04-26-2009, 08:28
Hi, I have no prior military service, but I would like to attempt selection for special forces. I have always been interested in this sort of thing concerning servicemen who can be trusted to excell at the peak of mental and physical achievment. It is only recently that i have really begun to think of this as something i should do. I went over the "match your interests" section on Go army.com and i got a close match to several special forces roles, THEN i took it up as a priority to get in shape with some difficulty, but certainly fit enough now.

As for myself, I do see myself as becoming a jack of all trades, and doing what i can to become as reliable as possible. After recearching the roles a bit, I am fully aware that there is a large failure rate, however I am confident that maybe i have small advantage by taking it seriously to become a green beret, rather than just leave it up for grabs (some others may say "oh well i could just do something else").

However I will not say nor act like I am going to be SF qualified until I am certain that I will be accepted first. I feel that I can carry much heavier responsibilities and achieve some serious goals, but I have had an issue with achievement level in the past. Through the eyes of a recruiter, I bet they are looking for a record of picking up responsibilities and showing reliability, and the simple fact is that i dont know how to present myself to show it.

I just keep having nightmares that im going to get too old (im 24) and lose my oportunity to prove myself without achieving something serious. I just need some advice on how compose myself.

I don't think anyone here would call me "Sigmund" but I think your post is worth careful self reflection. As for the advice requested, read the advice you gave yourself. 24 is not really that old but the clock is ticking and time does march on. Are you having a carpe diem moment? If so, 24 is a good time to have it! Good luck, I can be reached via PM just don't abuse the offer.

Eagle5US
04-26-2009, 08:33
The SEALs have a "motivator program". Someone who gives them pats on the back and encouragement when they need it to keep training prior to the program.
We do not.

Eagle

blue02hd
04-26-2009, 08:35
Go Navy.

The Reaper
04-26-2009, 09:12
Closed till bigbob reads and complies with the board rules.

He has already received some good advice here that he should take, and his questions could have been answered by searching and reading.

New kids here just keep asking the same questions here over and over, demanding answers and personal assistance before trying to help themselves. I for one, am growing tired of it. People who do that are, IMHO not suited for SF.

Frankly, bigbob, you have too many doubts in your mind already to have any chance at SF. Move on with your life, and do not consider this career path till you have your head together.

Good luck.

TR