PDA

View Full Version : Long Range F-class

Buffalobob
04-23-2009, 19:23
This is a series of videos of Long Range F-class. You can click on the links and watch the videos. You can also go down into the "Fur" section and see what the kids can do when there are real targets to be shot.

This is the 800 yard line at Quantico Marine Base and every one is getting set up.

What we see here is everyone getting set up at the 800 yard line. People will set the dials on their scopes and get the rifle lined up and the rear bags set and the bipod height set. You can notice the berm which allows you to move back and forward and get the rifle at different heights. You will notice a variety of methods of spotting. Some people use a stool and spotting scope. Some people prefer to spot standing and some prefer to just lay on the ground and use their rifle scope.

There are wind flags at the targets which are not always representative of the actual winds. The target lanes are numbered to help the feeble minded keep track of which one is theirs.

Each month I try to teach her something new and the month previous I taught her to set up the rifle and go first. This month she knows what to do and preps it on her own. They will be shooting a Rem 40X in 308 with a 28 inch barrel and special match chamber. The cartridge will be RWS brass with Varget and a 175 SMK and Fed 210 GM primers. The scope is a NF NXS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXA3cXuNAw

Time to shoot. You will notice in this sequence the bipod feet are free on the mat and can slide. That will change. Also notice that she will stay on the rifle a long time after the shot before she moves her head. This is good follow through. She preps the rifle and gets every thing ready and then when she is happy she closes the bolt and will fire in under 5 seconds. If you watch her head you will see her move to get the proper stock weld . A deer or antelope simply has no chance when she closes the bolt. The animal is dead before the trigger is ever pulled! The rifle likes to walk away from you when not dug in and she has to crawl forward to keep up with it and then that causes misalignment which has to be corrected.

Phil is there keeping score for her using the Kowa.

Some fool has left his coffee cup just laying around to be knocked over and then he will be mad to have to walk all the way back to the truck to get more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBxS2BE2MOc

Here she is at 900 yards. She has gotten tired of chasing the rifle and has dug in the bipods!! She will place second in F/TR for this match- I will place about near the bottom. :D The trigger is by Eddie Harren. Last month the Clay Spencer bushing fell out of the bolt face during a match and the rifle spent a week with Eddie again. It seems to like to go see Eddie once a year.

Eddie Harren is an ex-jarhead that served under Sen Jack Webb in Quang Tri Province. I went into that AO in relief when the jarheads packed up and went back to the world. Nowdays Eddie is a nationally ranked shooter in Varmint Score and a gunsmith.

You can see why she shoots so well. She really makes sure everything is just right before she closes the bolt and fires. The recoil of a 308 will get tiresome after about 60 rounds.

All the talking is another pair of shooters. They are having trouble getting bullets to land on the target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iRNmLxzGV8

Phil at 900 yards. He is allowing the bipod to slide but he is strong enough and willing to pull the rifle around as he wants it. Sometimes the bullet does funny things when Dad is responsible for reloading. I must have not put enough powder in the case or something!!! You would think that after all these years I would have managed to figure out how to reload a case.

You will also notice that Cynthia has no hesitation to tell her younger brother just what to do. Actually, if you do not get the round fired before the chamber heats up the powder your bullet will land high. So it is best to just unload a hot round and insert a cool one and let the hot one cool down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EqfRkI7tUI

Here is Phil at 1K. You will notice he chambers a round but for some reason he doesn’t shoot and after a while he removes it and gets a cool round and chambers it. He has the bipods on the mat and lets them slide. He has also lowered the cheekpiece and is trying to shoot with a really low stock weld. While I do not like what he is doing, I do not force them to shoot any particular way. They do as they please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJREZS4BMB4

BigJimCalhoun
04-23-2009, 19:47
Very impressive sir. Thank you for sharing.

Peregrino
04-23-2009, 19:51
Congratulations! Nice to see the next generation earning their "lumps".

frostfire
04-24-2009, 19:44
She preps the rifle and gets every thing ready and then when she is happy she closes the bolt and will fire in under 5 seconds.

The rifle likes to walk away from you when not dug in and she has to crawl forward to keep up with it and then that causes misalignment which has to be corrected.

Actually, if you do not get the round fired before the chamber heats up the powder your bullet will land high. So it is best to just unload a hot round and insert a cool one and let the hot one cool down.

Buffalobob,

Just a grasshopper here. Does this apply to all bolt rifle, barrel and bullet type to include M118LR ? I'd assume yes, but assumptions are the mother of all **** **s, so I'd like to verify

Great post! Thank you.

This just might explain why the score were getting poorer in one particular Benning F-class. I chambered and kept the cartridge in maybe to almost a minute as I was making corrections.

Gene Econ Sir and Rick, would you care to share your .02 on the above practice. Does it make difference, say up to 1 MOA to let the cartridge heat up? I'd imagine waiting to close the bolt to the last min may not always be feasible in tactical scenarios, sniper match etc.

Buffalobob
04-25-2009, 06:15
Yes it applies to all rifles. Bolt of otherwise. The chamber area will get hot and brass is a really good heat transfer metal so it heats up the powder quickly. Almost all powders will exhibit temperature sensitivity about 90 degrees F. The chamber will get to temperatures that can be extreme.

How much? Well for a 308 that has 10 or more rounds fired at about 1 minute spacing without cooldown the round will land anywhere from 0.5 MOA to 1.5 MOA high depending on how long you leave it in the chamber. The rule of thumb I use and most of the people I teach (sucker into coming out to shoot with me) is 15 seconds. After that you should unchamber and get a fresh round.

In as far as actual combat, what my snipers used were M-21s. In rapid fire situations such as occurred one day out at Alligator Lake with a company of the 3rd NVA Rgmt, the range was only 500 yards. I had six snipers lined up on the ridges on both sides of the stream valley from the dam. The NVA tried to cover the 500 yards of ankle high grass with a frontal assault. They broke after covering only 100 yards because the sniper and m-60 fire was so effective. Under those kinds of situation the round is not staying in the chamber for long. :D

Under more controlled fire situations the sniper will continue to adjust as the barrel gets hotter and the rounds begin to place higher.

Despite what folklore and mythodology will try to say, the M-21 was a great rifle for what we did and the way I liked to run my unit.

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-25-2009, 06:58
A little off subject, but I used an M-21 for over 14 years and kept mine after the other snipers went to XB-40s. I still out shot them. 8 oranges at 300 meters in 8 shots, none of them could do that. Love the rifle. I bought a Springfield M1A , it's goood but not the same. ( I also have two ART scopes). Blitzzz