PDA

View Full Version : Disney world vent/rant

Smokin Joe
04-23-2009, 12:38
I first need to preface this, this topic has nothing to do with the military, the government, nor SF, so mods/admins if you need to delete this thread feel free but I needed to vent/rant and wanted to share an experience.

The wife and I decided to take the little one to Disney World this week, and on 4/22/09 between the hours of 1625 hours and 1730 hours (local time) my kids' BOB Revolution jogging stroller (estimated value 400 dollars) was stolen outside of the Finding Nemo musical attraction located in the Disney world Animal Kingdom.

I contacted security, who was slow to respond, the jackass security guard treated the incident like no big deal. The MF'er shrugged his shoulders at the incident and I had to talk him into, calling the security guards at the front gate to be on the lookout for the stroller and to take a report. Which I had to spoon feed him the appropriate information for....... I mean does Disney not teach these guys how to A) Conduct and investigation and B) How to write a friggin report and what is appropriate information to put in said report.

After that I filed a report with the Orange County Deputy at the front gate, good dude who knew his business.

We then contacted Disney about any potential reimbursement and they have told us to pound sand any claim will be denied.

Lessons Learned:
1) Do not bring an expensive stroller to Disney
2) Disney security sucks
3) If you file a claim with Disney be prepared for your claim to be denied
4) SUCK BAGS ARE EVERYWHERE (I already knew this one but the wife got a fresher lessen)

......Ahh thats much better

[/Rant off]

Pete
04-23-2009, 12:53
Had one of those "3 bike tire" jobs that got loaded down with everything.

Looked like a commo ruck on wheels.

It was so loaded down D3 had to sit on top of stuff and it could not be parked alone somewhere.

Some butthead who couldn't plan ahead got worn out toting junior and stole your's.

Sucks.

FILO
04-23-2009, 13:38
The wife and I decided to take the little one to Disney World this week, and on 4/22/09 between the hours of 1625 hours and 1730 hours (local time) my kids' BOB Revolution jogging stroller (estimated value 400 dollars) was stolen outside of the Finding Nemo musical attraction located in the Disney world Animal Kingdom.

I contacted security, who was slow to respond, the jackass security guard treated the incident like no big deal. The MF'er shrugged his shoulders at the incident and I had to talk him into, calling the security guards at the front gate to be on the lookout for the stroller and to take a report. Which I had to spoon feed him the appropriate information for....... I mean does Disney not teach these guys how to A) Conduct and investigation and B) How to write a friggin report and what is appropriate information to put in said report.

After that I filed a report with the Orange County Deputy at the front gate, good dude who knew his business.
[/Rant off]

The first year I lived here in Florida, I bought a DW annual pass since my girls need their DW fix. We took our double stroller 1 time and that was it. Decided on subsequent trips to go with the rentals, far easier to deal with and didn't have to worry about your unfortunate situation. I've got a couple of colleagues in FDLE and they've yet to report anything close to praise involving DW security policies and actions. Apparently short of a mass murder witnessed by more than 100 people and captured on video and posted on You Tube, they will deny the existence of such vicious rumors. :rolleyes:

Sigaba
04-23-2009, 14:08
SJ--

I was sorry to read of your unfavorable experience at DW.

FWIW, Disney has its corporate offices and primary production facilities in Burbank. A poorly kept secret in the entertainment industry is that Disney employees are frequently unhappy. So much so that, years ago, staffers coined "Mauschwitz" to describe the Disney experience.

Utah Bob
04-23-2009, 14:18
The first year I lived here in Florida, I bought a DW annual pass since my girls need their DW fix. We took our double stroller 1 time and that was it. Decided on subsequent trips to go with the rentals, far easier to deal with and didn't have to worry about your unfortunate situation. I've got a couple of colleagues in FDLE and they've yet to report anything close to praise involving DW security policies and actions. Apparently short of a mass murder witnessed by more than 100 people and captured on video and posted on You Tube, they will deny the existence of such vicious rumors. :rolleyes:

Disney World is an odd entity. When Walt built it in the middle of nowhere back in the late '60's the county gave them virtually everything they wanted. Orlando was a small town in the middle of orange groves and cattle ranches. They are actually chartered by the State of Florida as a municipality and can have their own police and fire departments. They try to keep any bad news suppressed. Kinda like Cuba. It's all about the $$. They have tremendous political clout. They couldn't care less about a few customers having a bad experience. The Disney corp is just like their park in my opinion. All surface fantasy with nothing substantial underneath.

Dozer523
04-23-2009, 16:46
SJ--

I was sorry to read of your unfavorable experience at DW.

FWIW, Disney has its corporate offices and primary production facilities in Burbank. A poorly kept secret in the entertainment industry is that Disney employees are frequently unhappy. So much so that, years ago, staffers coined "Mauschwitz" to describe the Disney experience. Everytime we drove by those offices (on our way to Universal Studio:p) we'd look up at the Mickey Mouse on the top floor and yell "Jump, Mickey, Jump!" Seemed to get on the "Reason For Livings" nerves but me and the kids would detour just to do it.
BTW regarding kids. The logistical requirements of a human being are in inverse proportion to their size.

nmap
04-23-2009, 17:48
Smokin Joe , have you considered the fine art of the executive complaint?

For example, you might consider writing to Ronald L. Iden,
Senior Vice President, Global Security. The management "team" is listed HERE (http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/management_team.html).

Their address is at the bottom of the page HERE (http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/dis.html).

And the annual report is HERE (http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/annual_reports/2008/introduction/letterToShareholdersI.html).

Let's see now...what does Bobby Iger (CEO of Disney) have to say...

Ahh, yes...

It has been a very long time since our country has faced the kind of economic turmoil we are currently experiencing, and The Walt Disney Company, while strong, is certainly not immune to the difficult market conditions that exist today. With consumers spending more carefully and spending less, and advertisers doing the same, our media, consumer products and theme park businesses all face significant business challenges.

Perhaps a pleasant, but pointed, letter to Mr. Iger, referencing his letter to shareholders, and pointing out how the multiplier effect of disappointed visitors might prove detrimental to the long-term growth expectations of the company, might help the staff develop a more proactive attitude? (Evil grin)

It costs little more than a stamp. The worst that can happen is nothing. And you just might get some satisfaction - or at least the pleasure of spreading some hate and discontent. :)

echoes
04-23-2009, 17:55

We then contacted Disney about any potential reimbursement and they have told us to pound sand any claim will be denied.

Lessons Learned:
1) Do not bring an expensive stroller to Disney
2) Disney security sucks
3) If you file a claim with Disney be prepared for your claim to be denied
4) SUCK BAGS ARE EVERYWHERE (I already knew this one but the wife got a fresher lessen)

......Ahh thats much better

[/Rant off]

SJ,

Am so sorry for your loss, of course not just of property, but of confidence! How horrible that this happened to You, of all people, but that it happened at a "Disney" themed park...SHAME ON THEM!!! :mad:(To Add: For having such poorly trained security officers on hand.)

It may be a simple thing to some, but I can appreciate taking my little nieces and nephew out to the parks, and it really is a big deal!

Hope all is well SJ!

Holly

VVVV
04-24-2009, 09:42
Sorry for your loss, but Disney is no more responsible than the City of New York would be if your bicycle were taken from a bike rack in the middle of Central Park. Locks are manufactured for a reason.:munchin

greenberetTFS
04-24-2009, 10:51
Smokin Joe , have you considered the fine art of the executive complaint?

For example, you might consider writing to Ronald L. Iden,
Senior Vice President, Global Security. The management "team" is listed HERE (http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/management_team.html).

Their address is at the bottom of the page HERE (http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/dis.html).

And the annual report is HERE (http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/annual_reports/2008/introduction/letterToShareholdersI.html).

Let's see now...what does Bobby Iger (CEO of Disney) have to say...

Ahh, yes...

It has been a very long time since our country has faced the kind of economic turmoil we are currently experiencing, and The Walt Disney Company, while strong, is certainly not immune to the difficult market conditions that exist today. With consumers spending more carefully and spending less, and advertisers doing the same, our media, consumer products and theme park businesses all face significant business challenges.

Perhaps a pleasant, but pointed, letter to Mr. Iger, referencing his letter to shareholders, and pointing out how the multiplier effect of disappointed visitors might prove detrimental to the long-term growth expectations of the company, might help the staff develop a more proactive attitude? (Evil grin)

It costs little more than a stamp. The worst that can happen is nothing. And you just might get some satisfaction - or at least the pleasure of spreading some hate and discontent. :)

SJ,

Sounds like the info nmap is providing may help you get some compensation.... :)Should give it a shot, worth trying any way.......................:)

GB TFS :munchin

wet dog
04-24-2009, 11:16
Sigaba brought up an interesting point; Disney's employee are often unhappy, I've heard the same of Walmart, Costco, etc.

Consider the implications of large corporations like the ones mentioned. In size and shape they're run like federal work camps of the 1930's FDR program. Imagine the "mind of the employee" who feels that working for such a company is the only thing I can find?

I took my boys last year to Anahiem, CA - same thing, "employee depression", I call it. I'm laying out $500 in travel, $400 in lodging, $120 in tickets, $80 in food, (inside the gate), another $100 for gifts, the list goes on. I would at least expect someone to smile as we walk-in.

During a down market, these large corps charge outragous event prices, and treat their employees like a "wet dog", and act like were doing them a favor by visiting thier space.

I'm looking for a break as to when we can acquire season tickets for a ball game and not break the bank. Just taking the boys to one game is a $300 commitment.

No room for the average working man.

JNC
04-24-2009, 16:20
Thats a shame about your stroller. I still love Disney. Very military friendly. I'm going this year b/c it is free to service members, with a good discount to their guest. I never put anything down though, carry a pack with everything I need in it.
The line at the claims department is out of control though. Not saying the bad attitude is right, but understandable when you have 100s of people yelling at you about their stuff being stolen. Especially since there is not much they can do. Even if they found the guy with your stroller, all he would have to say is it was his. Hard to prove otherwise. Chances are he ripped a couple things off to make it appear a little different.

echoes
04-24-2009, 16:46
Especially since there is not much they can do.

I Disagree. At events at large and small venues that I participated in the promotion of, those in charge did hire the best security teams, for starters, to ensure public confidence, for one.

Realizing that the venue itself cannot be held liable, the venue still owes it to their patrons to provide "good" safety and security, IMHO. :munchin

Just my .02, as if this is the type of security they provide...what if a "man-made disaster" would occur? I would not feel safe knowing that this type of authority is in place.:munchin

Holly

Kyobanim
04-24-2009, 17:41
As a rule, the majority of Disney employees, at least the one in orlando, are happy campers. That's part of the hiring process and employee reviews. Sure there's going to be a few losers but they quickley get weeded out.

Sometimes they will have a bad day, they're human. That doesn't excuse what happened but that's life. Shit happens.

Richard
04-24-2009, 19:41
Heeeere's Mickey! :p

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Smokin Joe
04-25-2009, 15:14
I realize that Disney is not solely responsible for the theft (like the City of New Orleans example...got it no problem there), I'm also not some self centered twerp that is looking for a hand out. In all actuality, I have put the theft episode behind me. Yes, it sucks and was a damper on the day but all in all like Kyo stated “Shit Happens”.

However, I was very put out by the conduct and the alleged "customer service" I received from Disney employees. The Disney employees I encountered violated the first rule in dealing with a victim (Don't re-victimize the victim). Had the Disney employees been more helpful and empathic I probably would have just written the entire event off as "Shit Happens".

But, when I receive really shitty customer service after being ripped off… That really pisses me off! Good customer service is NOT difficult. I don’t care who they work for, nor how crappy their work environment is. Yes, their job may suck, their boss is a dick, they don’t pay them enough, blah blah blah… or should I say waaa, waaa, waaa. I don’t care about their drama. I expect to be treated like a customer who is spending money at their establishment, and in this case a lot of money.

So when my stroller gets stolen. I expect security to show up promptly, have an “I give a shit” attitude, show some empathy, offer to help and offer the most amount of help they have access to. Offer solutions and what I need to do next information. Know how to conduct an investigation and how to obtain relevant information to put into a report. And act like a PROFESSIONAL!!! The lazy approach, sloppy dress, carefree attitude, and lack of investigative skill is completely unacceptable.

I also expect customer service to understand I’m still pissed off about being ripped off so even though the corporation is going to deny my claim down the road. Show some empathy, take the information for the claim, and let the process run its course, because by the time I get the letter saying that they are denying my claim, I will be much less angry about the theft and will be more apt to take the letter with a grain of salt and move on.

Instead, I am now ranting and raving about having my damn stroller stolen and about shitty customer service.

Lastly, I believe Disney has an obligation to provide some sort of check in or stroller rack so I can secure my stroller when I park it. I understand the use of locks but when there is nothing to secure your possessions to it makes the lock useless.

Just my .02 cents

Richard
04-25-2009, 15:31
I'll bet if you go back and look around the park you'll see signs everywhere telling you to secure your property and stating that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items. That's what corporate staff attorneys will tell them to do. :rolleyes:

Smokin Joe
04-25-2009, 15:41
I'll bet if you go back and look around the park you'll see signs everywhere telling you to secure your property and stating that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items. That's what corporate staff attorneys will tell them to do. :rolleyes:

I actually did, and their aren't any I could find. There are signs saying not leave valuables in your stroller, but no disclaimers.

Really, I could careless about the signage... I mean I know Disney didn't rip me off it just happened on their property, no different then if I was in N.O. and my bike was stolen. ;)

My bitch is with the lack of customer service. Especially when I'm dumping in excess of 5k for a 7 day trip in this economy.

echoes
04-25-2009, 16:04
I actually did, and their aren't any I could find. There are signs saying not leave valuables in your stroller, but no disclaimers.

Really, I could careless about the signage... I mean I know Disney didn't rip me off it just happened on their property, no different then if I was in N.O. and my bike was stolen. ;)

My bitch is with the lack of customer service. Especially when I'm dumping in excess of 5k for a 7 day trip in this economy.

In my very, very humble opinion, SJ, you have every right to feel like ya do! Hell, if this happened to me, I would be just as effed off!

Disney, as any major theme park, MUST practice due dilligence, and accountability, in the security of its parks. After all, little kids are Their main audience, and that audience must be protected, again, JMHO.

Holly:munchin

nmap
04-25-2009, 17:09
Instead, I am now ranting and raving about having my damn stroller stolen and about shitty customer service.

But Smokin' - even though a good rant is always nice - why not do something about it? Something to effect change and, maybe, get some compensation for the stroller?

I am serious. Go to the links I provided and write an executive complaint.

Smokin Joe
04-25-2009, 18:04
But Smokin' - even though a good rant is always nice - why not do something about it? Something to effect change and, maybe, get some compensation for the stroller?

I am serious. Go to the links I provided and write an executive complaint.

Oh we are, we just have to wait for the official letter of denial then we are following up at the executive level. :lifter

And I appreciate your links and suggestions.

Richard
04-27-2009, 05:43
I hope they do the honorable thing and help you replace your stuff. It looks like Disney has more than your stroller to deal with now. ;)

Disney Accused of Racial Insensitivity Over First Animated Black Princess
The Times, 25 Apr 2009

The studio, known for its wholesome and predominantly white family values, has made several changes to its first African-American princess, Tiana, who will star in a new animated film this Christmas entitled "The Princess and the Frog," amid accusations of racial insensitivity.

Disney has already changed the profession of the princess (an aspiring restaurant entrepreneur instead of a chambermaid) and name (Tiana instead of Maddy, which critics thought was too similar to “Mammy," a once-common term for black female slaves in white households). Tiana will be played by Anika Noni Rose, who starred in "Dreamgirls," while Tiana’s mother will be played by the talk-show host Oprah Winfrey.

The controversy has intensified after it was revealed that the film would be set in New Orleans and that Tiana would find love with a white prince — well, almost. His skin has been described as olive-toned and he will be voiced by Bruno Campos, a Brazilian actor.

“What? No black prince? What’s up with this?” blogged James Collier on Acting White, an anti-racism Web site, in a posting typical of the general disbelief among the film’s most vocal black critics. “Perhaps Disney doesn’t want the future mothers of dwindling white America being imprinted so early in their lives with the notion of a black suitor.”

Another blogger, Angela Helm, attracted nearly 3,000 comments on the Black Voices Web site when she complained that “even though there is a real-life black man in the highest office in the land with a black wife, Disney obviously doesn’t think a black man is worthy of the title of prince."

It has been more than seven decades since Disney released its first princess movie, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." The company’s “princess division” has eight characters, which generates an estimated $4 billion in revenues annually.

Until now, the line-up of royal heroines, which includes a Native American character (Pocahontas) and an Asian character (Mulan), was missing something: a black woman. And so the decision was made in the mid-2000s — before anyone outside of Chicago had heard of the Obamas — to make Tiana the ninth princess.

According to leaked details, the princess is transformed into a frog after kissing one and has to venture into the mystical bayous of Louisiana to find a cure from a voodoo queen.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517917,00.html

Pete
04-27-2009, 05:50
I thought it was satire.

From the linked British story:

".....Executives at the company have tried to play down the controversy. “During the development of any movie it’s common to change titles, character names and story points,” said a source close to the studio who did not want to be named. “The name Tiana evolved with the character. She’s a strong role model for everyone. She pursues the American dream of starting her own business and she does that with a strong work ethic.”

As for the claim that the New Orleans setting and voodoo themes play on black stereotypes, the source said: “New Orleans is an ideal setting for an American fairytale set in the jazz age — it’s all part of the fabric of the story.”..."