PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Handover Already Happened?

Pandora
06-28-2004, 00:57
CBS just broke in and Rather is reporting that the hand-over already occured? Interesting stragedy.

Many other outlets are saying it is being brought forward, but CBS is reporting on specifics of Paul Bremer handing over documents and confirmation already.

Airbornelawyer
06-28-2004, 02:13
The ceremony took place in a formal room with Louis XIV furniture in an office in the building formerly used by the Iraqi Governing Council. Officials were seated in guilded chairs around a table, in the center of which was a bowl of flowers with a small Iraqi flag in it.

Just before the handover occurred, everyone stood up, and documents were passed to the Chief Justice Midhat al-Mahmoudi at 10:26 a.m. local time — at that point, legal sovereignty was passed.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040628/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_sovereignty&cid=540&ncid=716

QRQ 30
06-28-2004, 07:35
Good political and security move. It may have ruined some plans the terrorists had for Wednesday.

As usual there are differing views from the media. Some say it is brilliant, others say it is a ruse. But, that's politics and "news".

I know it is pure fantasy but how about this scenario: The sovereign nation of Iraq decides to meet the demands of the kidnappers and release all prisoners -- sans heads!!:cool:

The Reaper
06-28-2004, 07:41
Brilliant tactical move. Should be very effective at disrupting plans aimed at delaying or damaging the ceremony.

Strategic impact remains to be seen. Some may see it as cutting and running, or that the new government lacks strength or legitimacy (always a major concern).

TR

DunbarFC
06-28-2004, 08:45
And all those well planned live shots by the networks will now be for naught

Think of the money spent on new safari jackets to be worn on air as the handover took place

Sacamuelas
06-28-2004, 09:25
Agree 100 % with TR. Excellent tactical move.

I can't envision any negative consequences that would outweigh the possible political damage of allowing a few more terrorist incidents leading up to the handover and/or major incident AT the handover itself.

Its about time we started making the first moves... W/O tipping our hand to give the advantage to the swine.

The Reaper
06-28-2004, 10:02
Think how POed the media is that they didn't get two more days to bash the plan and set up to cover the bloodbath at the ceremony.

No doubt Peter, Dan, and Tom will be flailing about tonight! Might actually watch them for a change.

TR

Gypsy
06-28-2004, 15:04
Originally posted by The Reaper
Think how POed the media is that they didn't get two more days to bash the plan and set up to cover the bloodbath at the ceremony.

No doubt Peter, Dan, and Tom will be flailing about tonight! Might actually watch them for a change.

TR

When I heard the news this morning I actually giggled at the thought of them fuming over the fact that they were "pre-empted".

Roguish Lawyer
06-28-2004, 19:22
Originally posted by QRQ 30
I know it is pure fantasy but how about this scenario: The sovereign nation of Iraq decides to meet the demands of the kidnappers and release all prisoners -- sans heads!!:cool:

I like it!