PDA

View Full Version : USAF 'Open Door' E-mail Policy

Richard
04-17-2009, 10:03
Anybody wanna be in this guy's shoes? Wonder what the AFSC is for a Dumb A$$? :rolleyes:

Richard's $.02 :munchin

nmap
04-17-2009, 10:49
On the positive side, he certainly gained some high-level exposure...

But no, I don't think I'd want to be within 100 m or 3 degrees of separation anytime soon.

CoLawman
04-17-2009, 10:51
LMAO!

There might be another explanation:

Perhaps this young airman forgot to log off or allowed his password to be known to a trusted buddy! I was the victim of such a prank. While a young patrol officer, a trusted buddy sent an email to the Chief of Police inviting him to a barbque at my home. The email went on to explain why it was important that the Chief get to know me personally for career advancement!

Defender968
04-17-2009, 13:44
Anybody wanna be in this guy's shoes? Wonder what the AFSC is for a Dumb A$$? :rolleyes:

Sadly I think this young SrA is in Intelligence, how's that for an oxymoron :) One can only hope that he didn't really send this and it was someone on his computer as a joke, but then again there was a Cadet at the Air Force Academy who emailed the chief of staff a few years back.

afchic
04-17-2009, 14:41
OMG.

You would not believe the number of these things that have made the rounds over the years.

1) The Alaskan Assasin - 4th degree cadet at the academy leaves his computer open, and his roommate sends a note to a 3rd degree female cadet letting her know of "his" love for her, using every cheesy line in the book. She in turn sends it to all of her male friends letting them know this is not the way to pick up chics. It went viral on the internet in about 3 weeks. The e-mail itself wasn't nearly as funny as the comment threads of those who read it (and the rank of those that commented)

2) Cadet requests an F-16 orientation ride. His AOC told him if he really wanted to get one, to contact current ops at a fighter base, which he did, very politely. The Major in charge of said office sends him back a scathing e-mail on why a cadet does not deserve the ride. O-6 Wing commander finds out about it and personally invites young cadet to his wing for the said ride, while on his X-Mas break; all the while berating the unprofessionalism of the Major.

3) Commandant of Cadets at the AFA is fired. Young cadet sends an e-mail to the Secretary of the Air Force and the Chief of Staff as to why he believes this to be a very poor decision on their part. Once again, the comment responding where priceless

4) 2nd LT stationed in Germany reply's to all on an e-mail concerning a CGO function in which she lets every know she will be drunk and looking for monkey sex

5) Capt attending Squdron Officer School files a discrimination claim, via e-mail and cc's everyone she knows on it. Once again, interesting to see who wound up being forwarded the e-mail as well as their comments.

6) F-15 pilot is chosen as one of Cosmopolitans top ten bachelors. Voting will be held on line to determine who is the hottest bachelor. He sends an e-mail to all his squadron mates asking them to vote for him, and to vote as often as they like (There is a rumor around the AF if you are an F-15 driver, you are definitely gay)

As my father would say, you can't fix stupid.

Penn
04-17-2009, 15:08
"You can't fix stupid".............That's Priceless!!!!!

Red Flag 1
04-17-2009, 15:59

It could be that Ltc Gingerich is in hot water as well...that is if this really got sent....even if not, it's out there now.

The IG outbriefs I did at the Command and Wing level were done it the uniform I selected. My selection was a reflection of what I had to do after the brief. I must say that what I briefed on was of greater consequence that my uniform choice.

Pretty gutsy note....hell, I'd hire the boy!!

RF 1

Monsoon65
04-17-2009, 16:13
The IG outbriefs I did at the Command and Wing level were done it the uniform I selected. My selection was a reflection of what I had to do after the brief. I must say that what I briefed on was of greater consequence that my uniform choice.

Monday uniform of the day is now blues. I think it's been that way since Sept 08.

Every board I went before, or sat on, Service Dress was required.

If is email is true, the troop should have just sucked it up and worn his blues. If I was his supervisor, after this, he'd be wearing ABUs every Monday since he'd be on details from sun up until sun down. :)

Monsoon65
04-17-2009, 16:16
LMAO!

There might be another explanation:

Perhaps this young airman forgot to log off or allowed his password to be known to a trusted buddy! I was the victim of such a prank. While a young patrol officer, a trusted buddy sent an email to the Chief of Police inviting him to a barbque at my home. The email went on to explain why it was important that the Chief get to know me personally for career advancement!

We did that a lot in my section. Usually, the emails were of the "flame"-boyent type. One made it up to the Wing Commanders office and a "cease and desist" order was passed down. The NCOIC at the time started out his morning briefing with, "Does anyone else want to come out of the closet? No one? Then knock it off!"

AngelsSix
04-17-2009, 17:34
I will be willing to bet two things: this young A1C will either get out ASAP or stay in for 30 years. I think he takes things a little too literally, meaning that they were probably kidding when they told him that only the COS could make that decision and the poor kid took it literally. I bet that the conversation went something like this:

A1C to MSgt.: <whiny voice> "Why do I need to wear my blues for a brief, that's just retarded!"

MSgt to A1C: "The Chief of Staff of the Air Force has made it policy and that is the way it is."

A1C to MSgt: <whinier voice> "But it's stoooopiddd!! Can't I get someone to give me permission to wear BDU's this one time?"

Msgt to A1C: <jokingly> "well, you can always email the Chief of Staff."

And so it goes........:rolleyes:

monsterhunter
04-17-2009, 18:18
Be it a nasty prank by forgetting to log off or a serious attempt by the young lad, one thing is for sure, he learned something.

ACE844
04-17-2009, 19:20
This was classic. Thanks for sharing! I believe if memory serves me correctly that Mr Ron White also does a stand up routine about how 'you just can't fix stupid.' There is a condensed version which can be found on the Blue Collar Comedy tour DVD and TV specials.

abc_123
04-17-2009, 19:29
Have to give him permission to wear his ABU's knowing full well he's going to get the dogshit smoked out of him by his CoC... but that's just me. I have a soft spot for those on the stupid side of ballsy...

This lad's going to live a story to tell his grandkids. LOL.

Razor
04-17-2009, 20:38
A1C to MSgt.: <whiny voice> "Why do I need to wear my blues for a brief, that's just retarded!"

MSgt: Well, let's see. Perhaps its because you'll be presenting your briefing in an office environment, where a shirt, trousers, tie and low quarters are appropriate. Unless of course you'd prefer to give your briefing outside the wire in Iraq. Now push until I get tired of watching you cry.

AngelsSix
04-18-2009, 05:28
MSgt: Well, let's see. Perhaps its because you'll be presenting your briefing in an office environment, where a shirt, trousers, tie and low quarters are appropriate. Unless of course you'd prefer to give your briefing outside the wire in Iraq. Now push until I get tired of watching you cry.

Thanks, I like your version better, but unfortunately the AF is now more touchy- feely, kinder and gentler. We are required ti be NICE to each other. Push ups are out of the question. The airmen would cry if you did that. :D

Utah Bob
04-18-2009, 06:10
I will be willing to bet two things: this young A1C will either get out ASAP or stay in for 30 years. I think he takes things a little too literally, meaning that they were probably kidding when they told him that only the COS could make that decision and the poor kid took it literally. I bet that the conversation went something like this:

MSgt to A1C: "The Chief of Staff of the Air Force has made it policy and that is the way it is."

A1C to MSgt: <whinier voice> "But it's stoooopiddd!! Can't I get someone to give me permission to wear BDU's this one time?"

Probably called the MSgt "Dude" too.:D

perdurabo
04-18-2009, 11:02

I much liked it better in the old days before email, when one's idiocy only extended as far as one could yell. :D

Defender968
04-18-2009, 11:38

Razor that's how it would happen in the Army, in the AF the MSgt and A1C will go to billeting to get a free Cappuccino (for an hour) and talk about the A1C's decision to email the Chief of Staff and how that might not be the most appropriate way to handle the situation. Likely there will be no paperwork and not so much as a harsh tone of voice during this discussion.....and at the end the A1C will say thanks Bill, Bob or whatever the MSgt’s First name is.

Because in the AF everyone gets a trophy just for showing up to work.

The Reaper
04-18-2009, 11:42
I much liked it better in the old days before email, when one's idiocy only extended as far as one could yell. :D

Not really.

Once upon a time at 1st SOCOM, a young Captain I worked with had a message left on his desk to call George about his next assignment, with a DC DSN number.

He called, IDed himself, and asked to speak to George about his assignment.

It took several exchanges with the person who answered the phone before he realized that he had called Vice President Bush's office.

I always wondered if anything came of that, as I am sure the conversation was being recorded. He eventually did make LTC, so it couldn't have been too bad.

When I received a similar note a few days later to call Cap, I checked first and found that it was Sec Def Weinberger's office.

A good SF soldier learns from the mistakes of others.

TR

Razor
04-18-2009, 12:55
Razor that's how it would happen in the Army, in the AF the MSgt and A1C will go to billeting to get a free Cappuccino (for an hour) and talk about the A1C's decision to email the Chief of Staff and how that might not be the most appropriate way to handle the situation. Likely there will be no paperwork and not so much as a harsh tone of voice during this discussion.....and at the end the A1C will say thanks Bill, Bob or whatever the MSgt’s First name is.

Because in the AF everyone gets a trophy just for showing up to work.

I was doing a little wishful thinking (and trying to be nice). I work at Schriever AFB, so I see the USAF Space crowd "work" on a daily basis.

Max_Tab
04-19-2009, 18:52
Not really.

Once upon a time at 1st SOCOM, a young Captain I worked with had a message left on his desk to call George about his next assignment, with a DC DSN number.

He called, IDed himself, and asked to speak to George about his assignment.

It took several exchanges with the person who answered the phone before he realized that he had called Vice President Bush's office.

I always wondered if anything came of that, as I am sure the conversation was being recorded. He eventually did make LTC, so it couldn't have been too bad.

When I received a similar note a few days later to call Cap, I checked first and found that it was Sec Def Weinberger's office.

A good SF soldier learns from the mistakes of others.

TR

That right there is one of the funniest practical jokes, I have ever heard.