PDA

View Full Version : N.S.A.’s Intercepts Exceed Limits Set by Congress

Richard
04-16-2009, 06:11
Just the kind of stuff the ACLU and the Left fear most...and now maybe we dangerous vets should, too. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

N.S.A.’s Intercepts Exceed Limits Set by Congress
Eric Lichtblau and James Risen, NYT, 15 Apr 2009

The National Security Agency intercepted private e-mail messages and phone calls of Americans in recent months on a scale that went beyond the broad legal limits established by Congress last year, government officials said in recent interviews.

Several intelligence officials, as well as lawyers briefed about the matter, said the N.S.A. had been engaged in “overcollection” of domestic communications of Americans. They described the practice as significant and systemic, although one official said it was believed to have been unintentional.

The legal and operational problems surrounding the N.S.A.’s surveillance activities have come under scrutiny from the Obama administration, Congressional intelligence committees and a secret national security court, said the intelligence officials, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity because N.S.A. activities are classified. Classified government briefings have been held in recent weeks in response to a brewing controversy that some officials worry could damage the credibility of legitimate intelligence-gathering efforts.

The Justice Department, in response to inquiries from The New York Times, acknowledged Wednesday night that there had been problems with the N.S.A. surveillance operation, but said they had been resolved.

**snip**

It is not clear to what extent the agency may have actively listened in on conversations or read e-mail messages of Americans without proper court authority, rather than simply obtained access to them.

(cont'd) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/us/16nsa.html?_r=1&hpw

SF_BHT
04-16-2009, 06:48
Hummmm Hay Joe turn off the recorder and take a break over there as the counter just went pas 50 again and we do not want to break the congressional limit for the month.

Tim are you serious? This guy is coordinating for a movement of 500 kilos of Plutonium to a Rag-head in Detroit.

Yeah Joe Rules are Rules and we do not want tho get in trouble by the Times again...

OK Tim but this is F$#kd up......

Yeah do have to go with the politicians or they will investigate us again.....

OK switch flipped and recording erased.

That is they way they think we should be. Screw them... The bad guys do not play by the rule so how are we going to win if we tie our hands. You lose certain rights during a war especially a war like this and you are going to have to do many things that in peace you would not just to win. They do not have a clue.

GratefulCitizen
04-16-2009, 14:47
Sounds like an automated data mining error.

They'll just change a few parameters and purge some data.
(Really, they'll purge it...:D)

nmap
04-16-2009, 14:57
I guess this means I shouldn't mention machine guns. Or discuss the CIA (the Culinary Institute of America, of course). Or consider formatting cell C4 in an Excel spreadsheet.

Oops! ;)

On a more serious note...I'm sure SF_BHT is right. And in this instance, I'm confident I'm one of the "they" who don't have a clue.

AngelsSix
04-16-2009, 17:54
I guess this means I shouldn't mention machine guns. Or discuss the CIA (the Culinary Institute of America, of course). Or consider formatting cell C4 in an Excel spreadsheet.

Oops! ;)

On a more serious note...I'm sure SF_BHT is right. And in this instance, I'm confident I'm one of the "they" who don't have a clue.

LOL. :D

I wish that people would READ the damn emails I send them sometimes. Some folks do nothing but complain, damn it!:rolleyes:

armymom1228
04-16-2009, 18:55
If some guy in the NSA is reading the emails I am getting from my dtr's father..
then someone is getting a chubby there.. hahaha. I sure as heck hope he enjoys them...

I have been saying for a long time and getting smacked for saying it..but as long as we don't play by thier rules we will lose..
We used the Brits honor against them in 1776.... as they are using ours against us..
OTOH>.
those emails about moving "personal protection devices" to the new place in Belize............... should be ignored.... no really .. just move on there is nothing to see here dude.. :D

GratefulCitizen
04-16-2009, 19:32
The NSA isn't necessarily reading your emails.
They may not even be mining the content of your emails.

Most likely, they don't even know (or care) who you are.

Over time, we all develop patterns.
What we buy, what web sites we visit, etc.

A program looks for patterns.
Once a pattern is close enough to a given profile, it may automatically trigger more direct automated snooping.
(Those darn NSA guys...with all their techniques to find unique signatures ;) )

I'd be less worried about the NSA snooping on me illegally and more worried about the private sector using data mining techniques to snoop on me legally.

Ian Ayres wrote a book titled Super Crunchers which addresses this subject (among others).
If you're prone to worry about your privacy, this book will scare you.