PDA

View Full Version : Rule #8 Question

temsmedic
04-15-2009, 22:44
8. Use the search button. We are asked many of the same questions time and time again. The first time one asks a redundant question he/she will be warned, the second time might result in a banning.

I have spent the last few days exploring your site, after being drawn to it because of a medical thread that I read that was clearly fleshed out by Quiet Professionals with "hands in the blood" experience. I've enjoyed reading your direct no-BS response to the wannabes that can dilute a site with their anecdotal, or erroneous comments.

I read one thread where a member was blasted for coming on-board, and telling you how to run a site.

I respectfully submit the following for consideration. The thread that I read on the Woundstat product had ~15 contributors, or 0.1% of your membership. When this thread gathers dust, and someone brings it up again, they will likely get a sharp comment about using the "search" feature, as I have read many times. I wonder if there are other contributions that could be made by the rest of the 99.9% of the membership, or if there has been new information that has come available. I would hope that we all acknowledge that we can learn from other's experience, and that there are always changes that can be discussed. Is there harm in re-looking at old subjects, listening to questions from a different angle, or allowing others to post a response? Your moderators have stellar credentials, but I suspect that even they will admit that they learn something new nearly every day.

I'll take my 30 lashes or banishment.

temsmedic

caveman
04-16-2009, 04:07
I believe the intent of this particular rule is to prevent the creation of redundant threads. I don't think anyone would have any objections to someone posting new information in an existing thread on the topic. Old threads will resurface in the "New Posts" area whenever new contributions are made. There are some threads here that have been evolving for years.

SF_BHT
04-16-2009, 06:39
8. Use the search button. We are asked many of the same questions time and time again. The first time one asks a redundant question he/she will be warned, the second time might result in a banning.

I have spent the last few days exploring your site, after being drawn to it because of a medical thread that I read that was clearly fleshed out by Quiet Professionals with "hands in the blood" experience. I've enjoyed reading your direct no-BS response to the wannabes that can dilute a site with their anecdotal, or erroneous comments.

I read one thread where a member was blasted for coming on-board, and telling you how to run a site.

I respectfully submit the following for consideration. The thread that I read on the Woundstat product had ~15 contributors, or 0.1% of your membership. When this thread gathers dust, and someone brings it up again, they will likely get a sharp comment about using the "search" feature, as I have read many times. I wonder if there are other contributions that could be made by the rest of the 99.9% of the membership, or if there has been new information that has come available. I would hope that we all acknowledge that we can learn from other's experience, and that there are always changes that can be discussed. Is there harm in re-looking at old subjects, listening to questions from a different angle, or allowing others to post a response? Your moderators have stellar credentials, but I suspect that even they will admit that they learn something new nearly every day.

I'll take my 30 lashes or banishment.

temsmedic

1st This is our house and you are a Guest. People do not come in your office or house and start telling them how to fix or run your things.

2nd If a person was bashed (Blasted) for telling us how to run the site He probably deserved it. A lint to the post would help understand what your statement is referencing.

3rd We welcome open discussion and New points of view and correct information here. We are not Military dot com.

Doc I would advise that you sit down and search and read a lot before you post again as you just swung our house door open and started tearing at our board and you are a NEW (2nd Post) Guest and do not have a very good SA.

Please search and absorb the info. We have some threads that have been continuing for 3-4 years as new info keeps it alive. Some subjects have been beaten to death and do not need to be kept going and we have a lot of New People that are just too quick to post and not do proper research. That is when a Mod/Admin makes a comment like Knock if off and do more searching.

If you do not like how we run the board you do not have to be here. That is a choice all have to make.

Kyobanim
04-16-2009, 06:55
I believe the intent of this particular rule is to prevent the creation of redundant threads. I don't think anyone would have any objections to someone posting new information in an existing thread on the topic. Old threads will resurface in the "New Posts" area whenever new contributions are made. There are some threads here that have been evolving for years.

This is a correct statement.

The rule is also in place because some people think that the question they have has never been asked. If someone asks a question that has been answered here already, we will know two things, 1. They are lazy, or 2. they didn't read the rules and regulations.

Peregrino
04-16-2009, 06:56
temsmedic - The rule was written to encourage the "revival" of dormant threads (when new and valuable information warrants). It also discourages people from starting redundant threads or annoying the wildlife by asking the same questions every other intellectually lazy, casual surfer has asked since the board opened. (It's also a good indicator of mindset whether someone researches first or asks first.) HTH

temsmedic
04-17-2009, 02:34
I read that you welcomed open discussion, and new points of view, which is why I wrote the question. I had a SA that told me that I would receive a response like SF_BHT's, as I had seen something like it on other threads. I was curious to see how you truly welcomed open discussion and new points of view. I take a bit offense at the thought that I was "tearing at your board" by asking a simple question. I appreciate the constructive comments that helped me understand why you have that rule, and I appreciate the one private email that offered me advice on how to work around the rule.

I was somewhat amused at the comment about how I don't have people come into my ER and tell me how to fix or run things. As your Trauma moderators will tell you, ER docs work in a fish bowl, where everyone tells us how to do things better. I, as a professional, ignore the chaff, and try to incorporate suggestions that can help.

I'll drop this thread. I'll leave it to your board to decide if I warrant banishment for bringing an item up for discussion, from a new point of view.

Pete
04-17-2009, 04:26
Only three posts and the last one is another slap at the board.

Son, if you want to run things you should start your own board.

blue02hd
04-17-2009, 06:25
[COLOR="Yellow"] I wonder if there are other contributions that could be made by the rest of the 99.9% of the membership, or if there has been new information that has come available.
temsmedic

Sir, as the introduction clearly states, unless you are a vetted QP, you are a guest, and not a member. If you were in A- 1-325 as your profile indicates then you have previous experience with QP's and should understand this simple rule.

As your claim to military service claims puts you in a unit down the street from our school house here on Bragg I am sure you are more familiar with Army Special Forces than most guests who share this site for instructional purposes.

Seems to me you are sharpshooting QP's for more than the simple reason you described.

Surgicalcric
04-17-2009, 07:58
...ER docs work in a fish bowl, where everyone tells us how to do things better. I, as a professional, ignore the chaff, and try to incorporate suggestions that can help...

I would submit that those individuals telling you how to run your ER are generally regulatory agencies, hospital administration, patient advocates, and other physicians, all of which do so from within your community. In addition you have the occasional patient, or family/friend of a patient, who watches 'House' and owns a Merck who believes they are as educated about medicine as you and wishes to give you advice about how things should be done differently according to their perspective. This last individual is the one SF_BHT was referring to in his post and is exactly how you have presented yourself here.

You, like any other guest, are welcome to comment on threads regardless of age providing they are adding valuable information to those threads.

The sharpshooting of QP's, from an outsider, will not under any circumstances be tolerated.

Richard
04-17-2009, 08:14
In addition you have the occasional patient, or family/friend of a patient, who watches 'House' and owns a Merck who believes they are as educated about medicine as you and wishes to give you advice about how things should be done differently according to their perspective.

You forgot the patient who comes in and recommends trying the purple pill or such because they saw it advertised on TV. :rolleyes:

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Team Sergeant
04-17-2009, 09:20

temsmedic

If you'd point this post and individual out we might be able to further explain the issue.

One this website only verified medical personnel (MD's, Paramedics and SF 18D's etc) are permitted to discuss the medical issues and dispense advice. All other are allowed to view the discussion and some are permitted to ask a question or two.

The individuals that have Trauma Surgeon in their bio are in fact verified MD's and there's about five or six of them on here.

If you have a question feel free to ask. If you wish to be a verified medical professional on this website, great send me a PM. (No I'm not a Physician but I am married to one.)

Also, take note, as SF soldiers we have a thick skin, you'll have to work hard to get your arse banned on this website if you stick to intelligent conversation.

Welcome aboard.

Team Sergeant

temsmedic
04-17-2009, 10:38
Thank you Team Sgt, I'll shut up and fall back in formation.

SF_BHT
04-17-2009, 11:55
If you'd point this post and individual out we might be able to further explain the issue.

One this website only verified medical personnel (MD's, Paramedics and SF 18D's etc) are permitted to discuss the medical issues and dispense advice. All other are allowed to view the discussion and some are permitted to ask a question or two.

The individuals that have Trauma Surgeon in their bio are in fact verified MD's and there's about five or six of them on here.

If you have a question feel free to ask. If you wish to be a verified medical professional on this website, great send me a PM. (No I'm not a Physician but I am married to one.)

Also, take note, as SF soldiers we have a thick skin, you'll have to work hard to get your arse banned on this website if you stick to intelligent conversation.

Welcome aboard.

Team Sergeant

Yes we do have thick skin...... Not the best way to start out his time on the board..... Looking forward to a good discussion......