PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Knife Collector Show...

x SF med
04-13-2009, 09:14
This weekend - April 17 (members/set up only) 18, 19 - Lane County Events Center, Eugene Oregon.

I now a couple of members are going to be there...

One of them is actually a judge in some knife making competition.

Spartan guys, I am still in a quandary as to whether to buy the Nyx or Ares... HH6 wants to see both and "help me decide":eek:

Did I mention that there is a soiree on Friday evening... well, beer and seared animal flesh...

LibraryLady
04-13-2009, 10:17
... Spartan guys, I am still in a quandary as to whether to buy the Nyx or Ares... HH6 wants to see both and "help me decide":eek: ...

This statement begs the question... why are you even considering letting your HH6 have an opinion on your acquisition? ;)

LL

The Reaper
04-13-2009, 10:29
This statement begs the question... why are you even considering letting your HH6 have an opinion on your acquisition? ;)

LL

I agree.

She should have her own knife collection.:D

TR

LibraryLady
04-13-2009, 10:34
I agree.

TR

True. All women should have their own substantial collection!

LL

mcarey
04-13-2009, 10:35
I will hook them both up! I will have all models of our knives with me. Looking forward to seeing some old friends!

x SF med
04-13-2009, 10:44
I agree.

TR

True. All women should have their own substantial collection!

LL

I will hook them both up! I will have all models of our knives with me. Looking forward to seeing some old friends!

With great respect, to all of you... BITE ME.:p

HH6 has access to my collection, and we have started her on her own collection, albeit not substantial YET, but I/we keep going to sharp pointy conventions and purchases are made...:rolleyes::cool:

My problem is that her knives seem to be used for cutting tape and boxes, so guess who needs to learn how to sharpen her own knives...

The Reaper
04-13-2009, 11:01
My problem is that her knives seem to be used for cutting tape and boxes, so guess who needs to learn how to sharpen her own knives...

She seems like a very well-informed young lady, and that sort of task is typical for her profession.

Has anyone tried to teach her to sharpen her knives yet?

TR

x SF med
04-13-2009, 14:25
I am coordinating that block of instruction. I believe the PI will be an Oregon Logger, I will be handling logistics for equipment, and act as an AI, I think we can get mcarey and/or mildot as AIs also.

Equipment will be my good stone ( a very nice Oregon Logger clone stone... )and various other ceramic, stone , and metal sharpening items - with requisite cutting oils.

This should be interesting to watch - I'll make sure my big medical bag is within easy grabbing distance - we are talking the man who gets cut and his minions as main instructors here - bandaids will not suffice.:D

LibraryLady
04-13-2009, 16:49
... My problem is that her knives seem to be used for cutting tape and boxes...

What cha don't know won't hurt cha... :D ;)

... Has anyone tried to teach her to sharpen her knives yet? ...

Admit nothing, deny everything, make gross counter accusations. There's some good learnin' on this board. :lifter
Never hurts to let someone feel needed. :munchin

LL

x SF med
04-21-2009, 08:58
The weekend was fun, informative and a bit on the over-budget side. Well, a Spartan blade (mcarey is a chicken and wouldn't sign it), a Japanese waterstone thet the Harsey said was too good for me and that he needed to test out, a few other miscellaneous poket sharp-pointies, a new neck knife... AND... a nice piece of an old maple bowling alley 2'x4'x 2.5" to make a work table for sharpening - a steal - again Harsey said it would be of no use to me and that he would use it in the shop for 'kindling', and a really nice piece of black walnut that a guy didn't want to carry home and let me have for next to nothing.

There was BBQ and beer an Friday...
There were way too many knives and knife makers to describe.

If you ever get the chance - and you are a knife guy/gal - make one of these shows.

(Yes, HH6 got a few sharp pointies of her own)

x SF med
05-05-2009, 18:52
Oh- my thanks to mcarey - he made me buy this ugly little dull toy knife... can you believe I had pity on him and gave him money for this?

(the background with chalk is a nice chunk of black walnut for coin display making, and the bottom is my new work table - a 2'x4' piece of straight grained maple bowling alley, the knife is on my 'Harsey Stone' a Norton India 2 sided med/fine 10" stone)

mcarey
05-07-2009, 11:12
Oh- my thanks to mcarey - he made me buy this ugly little dull toy knife... can you believe I had pity on him and gave him money for this?

(the background with chalk is a nice chunk of black walnut for coin display making, and the bottom is my new work table - a 2'x4' piece of straight grained maple bowling alley, the knife is on my 'Harsey Stone' a Norton India 2 sided med/fine 10" stone)

Well, x SF med....I hope you were able to dress that toys edge, I know you know how to sharpen fine instruments! Glad I could meet you and your significant other. Hope to see you next time we are out that way. :)