PDA

View Full Version : Severe Ankle Sprain

Paslode
04-12-2009, 22:43
Thursday I jumped out of the back of my van with a small air compressor in one hand and air hose in the other, and I rolled my ankle in the process. About the time the pain became nauseating it popped into my head what would I do if I were not 50 ft from the house but rather out in the woods with no one around.

Ends up it was severe, I couldn't put weight on the foot for 2 days and I am supposed to wear of CAM Boot for 6 to 8 weeks.

So my question is, are there any books/manuals on field splints or other homemade devices you might recommend that deal with such accidents when a CAM boot and assistance isn't readily available.

Thanks,

Paslode

Doczilla
04-13-2009, 05:29
SAM Splints come with a manual of incredibly useful splinting techniques. If you can get some time with the ortho service at the local trauma center, you can learn what splints do what. Replace the plaster with a SAM Splint, and you've got something.

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-13-2009, 14:00
if it's possible find anATC at local HS or PT clinic and get a lession on self taping. It's done with two types of tape in strips but does very well for activities. Blitzz (spoken as an retired PTA).