PDA

View Full Version : PPK/S Questions

Noslack71
04-11-2009, 07:37
I have found a nice little PPK/S. It is very tight chambering the first round, and in the double action trigger pull. I think running a couple hundred rounds through it should loosen it up (my wife and daughters like shooting it, they mentioned it was a little difficult chambering the first round from a loaded magazine).
My second question is about the de-cocking aspect. When the pistol is de-cocked with a round in the chamber, is that akin to a revolver with the hammer, down on a loaded chamber and if the hammer is struck there is a good chance the round will go off, or when the PPK/S is de-cocked does a plate come up between the firing pin and the round in the chamber reducing the probability of an accidental discharge?
Thanks

Noslack

blue02hd
04-11-2009, 07:53
Is there a Model number, or manufacturer?

Ambush Master
04-11-2009, 08:04
Is there a Model number, or manufacturer?

Walther PPK/S.

JJ_BPK
04-11-2009, 08:47
I have found a nice little PPK/S. It is very tight chambering the first round, and in the double action trigger pull. I think running a couple hundred rounds through it should loosen it up (my wife and daughters like shooting it, they mentioned it was a little difficult chambering the first round from a loaded magazine).

The PPK is a blow back auto, as such the recoil spring, minus the mass of the slide, has to absorb the rearward recoil motion,, it's going to stay stiff,, has to..

It's also not "light" by todays mouse guns. At 21+ oz empty it is twice as heavy as some of the plastic-fantastics. As a comparison, My Glock 23 is the same weight and carries 14 .40.

BUT, going lighter will mean the spring has to absorb more energy.. So if will be stiffer..

My second question is about the de-cocking aspect. When the pistol is de-cocked with a round in the chamber, is that akin to a revolver with the hammer, down on a loaded chamber and if the hammer is struck there is a good chance the round will go off, or when the PPK/S is de-cocked does a plate come up between the firing pin and the round in the chamber reducing the probability of an accidental discharge?
Thanks

Noslack

The firing pin actually goes thru the safety pin/bar. As it is rotated it disengages the sear and at the same time rotates a shield up between the hammer & firing pin. So,, if you were to hit the hammer with the safety engaged, nothing can happen.

If the safety is dis-engaged, and does not block between the firing pin and hammer,, A strike on the hammer may engage the firing pin..

From the net:

The PP, PPK, and PPK/s families share a number of safety features which are worth enumeration:

The slide mounted Manual Safety serves three purposes. When rotated downward, covering a red dot painted on the slide, the safety lever shields the firing pin from any possible contact with the hammer, lowers the hammer safely, and locks the firing pin from forward travel. The pistol may be safely carried in this manner, with a live round in the chamber.

The Automatic Safety is an internal hammer block which prevents the hammer from moving forward and contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is being pulled. The Automatic Safety prevents accidental discharge even if the gun is dropped muzzle upward from a great height onto the cocked hammer.

The Loaded Chamber Signal Pin which protrudes from the rear of the slide indicates if a cartridge is present in the chamber. Early German PPs were made with or without the signalstift. All guns chambered for .22 LR cartridge are not equipped with a signal pin because of the rimfire design of the cartridge.

Lastly, the disconnector ensures that the pistol will not fire unless the slide is fully forward. The disconnector is located on the right side of the frame, beneath the slide rail and just above the grip panel. The slide presses downward on the disconnector unless it is fully forward, when a noch in the slide allows it to move up.
The PP, PPK, and PPK/s lack a plunger-type firing pin safety (a la the SIG-Sauer, Browning Hi-Power, and Colt Series 80). Rather, the firing pin is locked from forward travel by the manual safety when (and only when) it is applied. If the gun is dropped from a height onto a hard surface with the safety off, inertia could drive the firing pin into the primer resulting in an accidental discharge. For this reason, these guns should not be carried with a live round in the chamber without the manual safety engaged.

Snaquebite
04-11-2009, 08:57
Manual on-line
http://stevespages.com/pdf/walther_ppk_ppks.pdf

Recall on certain models.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/02/25/sw-safety-recall-walther-ppk-and-ppks-pistols/

Hartley
04-12-2009, 14:44
I have an older Manhurin PPK/S - a stainless one I picked up used back in the early 80s. It's had maybe 1000 rounds thru it since I got it, and while it's never choked a round (including hollowpoints of all sorts), the double-action trigger is still heavy and long. Single-action is fine - but you can't carry it cocked & locked, so the first round is always an issue. I used to carry it, but frankly my Glocks inspire more confidence so I seldom take it out anymore (and it IS quite heavy for it's size!)
On the plus side, anyone who's ever seen a James Bond movie knows what it is..(and wants to shoot it).

armymom1228
04-27-2009, 12:25
/From the Smith and Wesson website today.. a recall on PPK

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=62303&sectionId=10506