PDA

View Full Version : From Batt. to Group

Nebby
04-09-2009, 09:20
As much as I have enjoyed my time in Batt. I am looking for a change. Are there any former batt. boys in here that can tell me what the differences are between the two, as far as being in garrison and deployed goes? Also, was it difficult for you to make the transition? Sorry if his has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything in a search.

f50lrrp
04-09-2009, 10:01
I served my time as a Ranger and in SF back in the 60s, but I'll tell you this... SF treats their people like adults. I remember being on radio watch with B-36 (SF) with two recon teams in contact. The B-team commander and his Sergeant Major were both standing behind me when a 2LT asked me to go and get him a cup of coffee. The sergeant major told the new 2LT that wasn't something that he was to order me to do.

The 2LT pointed to his butterr bar and told the SGM that it gave him the right to issue orders to whomever he wanted. The SGM replied the the piece of shiney metal covered a portion of his colar, it didn't cover his ass. That was the SF NCOs job. The SGM told the 2LT to get his own damned coffee... Major Gritz told the 2LT he'd like his black.

In the Rangers i'd have had to run the 2LTs errand.

D9 (RIP)
04-10-2009, 07:54
There are plenty of Rangers cum SF on here that can answer your questions. Standby and I anticipate someone will be along shortly.

The Reaper
04-10-2009, 07:59
Or you could just do some reading and searching here.

Seems to me that this has been discussed before several times in different threads.:rolleyes:

How is your knee holding up?

TR

SF_BHT
04-10-2009, 08:56

Seems to me that this has been discussed before several times in different threads.:rolleyes:

TR

TR
Remember that if he is Bn he needs picture books to find his way. We may need to develop a Icon driven search feature for all those Rangers out there.:p

Nebby

I have seen many a Ranger come and go and it is not the same world. There are good and bad things related to transitioning from Bn. I know 2nd Bn may have not gotten the memo but you are in the Regiment now not one of the 2 Bn's of the past. I have seen many Rangers go to the Q and not make it and I have seen many not mentally be able to transition when they get on a team. It is all depending on the individual. Some people are week in mind and some are open, intelligent and flexible.

Go back and search and read a Hell of a lot........young trooper....

Richard
04-10-2009, 09:32
It is all depending on the individual.

Genau! ;)

Richard's concurring $.02 :munchin

Nebby
04-13-2009, 13:36

TR

Guess I'm not too computer sauvy. Went to the search button, typed in, "Ranger to SF, "Ranger", yada yada yada. I'll try to figure this search thing out, just been busy.

Knee is fine, took a little while, but things are looking up.

Nebby
04-13-2009, 13:41
TR
Remember that if he is Bn he needs picture books to find his way. We may need to develop a Icon driven search feature for all those Rangers out there.:p

Nebby

I have seen many a Ranger come and go and it is not the same world. There are good and bad things related to transitioning from Bn. I know 2nd Bn may have not gotten the memo but you are in the Regiment now not one of the 2 Bn's of the past. I have seen many Rangers go to the Q and not make it and I have seen many not mentally be able to transition when they get on a team. It is all depending on the individual. Some people are week in mind and some are open, intelligent and flexible.

Go back and search and read a Hell of a lot........young trooper....

You sure are right about picture books, how I could use one of those. ;)\

Anyways, thanks for the reply. I am in my re-enlisment window, and I honestly don't see myself re-uping Ranger. I was just trying to get some information of some former Rangers experience in the transition. I'll try this search thing again, and try to get lucky, but not too sure if I will be successful. Thanks for the advice.

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-13-2009, 13:55
As to the Bn remember all you learned there to be used during training others. forget most of it for your SF time and learn all else from the teams. Totally different environment. Blitzzz