PDA

View Full Version : Predator Defense

BryanK
04-05-2009, 12:46
I need some advice please, on a predator(not the animal variety) defense issue that arose in my neck of the woods last night. My girlfriends Aunt lives next door to us, and last night we get a call from her after a police cruiser left her home. She tells us that her 12 year old daughter has received gifts from her male teacher such as large Godiva chocolate arrangements and flowers. The first time this happened she went to the school's principal, then the teacher to ask that he never gives her anything else like that again. Problem solved right? No. There was no reprimand from the school. At the end of last week before spring break he gave all his students candy for Easter, but my girlfriends niece received a large and expensive Godiva chocolate arrangement. Way more than the rest of the students. She cannot go to the school for the next week because school is out, so she calls the police. They arrive and tell her there is nothing they can do in a nutshell. I tell her that if her dogs(Labs) start to bark, give us a call and I will be right over. This neighborhood is not well lit at all either, so I told her to turn on all of the lights, and let the dogs roam the house also. She is so frightened she didn't sleep all last night. My line of thinking is if this guy is a predator, he has staked out the area, found vantage points to view the house from, and knows relatively when people are where at whatever time of the day. I did a bit of recon of the neighborhood last night to check for strange vehicles and such, but found nothing. There is several dark places for someone to approach from, and a good bit of woods. The police response times aren't too bad here, but when seconds count, the police are just minutes away (no offense to any Officers). She has three children in the home. 2 daughters 14 and 12, and one son 8. My question is, how would any of you deal with something like this should you get a call from your neighbor asking you to help because someone is in, or attempting to get in your home? I opt for a flashlight and a shotgun, but I realize this may not be the best avenue of approach being I am a MD resident.

Paslode
04-05-2009, 13:25
I believe if you were to obtain a restraining order the Police would have grounds to do something. The reason I say that is because my mother had verbally requested a cousin not to come around her house. Shortly after my mothers request I saw him at her home one day and went up the street to the Police Station.

The first question they asked me was 'Does she have a Restraining Order against him'. She did not, and the Police stated all they could 'legally' do under such circumstances is stop by and see what he is doing.

But as with all things of this nature, it is best to consult legal counsel.

CoLawman
04-05-2009, 15:06
It is understandable why your neighbor is unable to sleep at night!

You took a questionable threat and turned it into this horrendous monster lurking in the dark waiting for the perfect opportunity to snatch her poor child.

I have not seen that type of imagination since Alfred Hitchcock turned birds into serious threats to anyone stepping outside their front door.

BryanK
04-05-2009, 15:32
It is understandable why your neighbor is unable to sleep at night!

You took a questionable threat and turned it into this horrendous monster lurking in the dark waiting for the perfect opportunity to snatch her poor child.

I have not seen that type of imagination since Alfred Hitchcock turned birds into serious threats to anyone stepping outside their front door.

Negative. May want to re-read the post. The other observations I kept to myself. She was already near hysterical and she
was the one who asked what is the best way to make sure her family was as safe as they could be. I let her know it was probably nothing. All I told her was to turn on the lights, don't lock up the dogs, and give us a call if the dogs went nuts.

koz
04-05-2009, 16:55
-Tell her to install motion lights -

-Suggest she buy a shotgun - or at least some sort of non-lethal device.. This may be a great time to educate someone on the reasons to embrace their 2nd Amendment right...

-Tell her to contact an attorney - have him/her file appropriate paperwork. The police may feel this is a "civil" matter, but if they have a court document to back their actions, they may be more likely to act.

Pete
04-05-2009, 17:04
You can get the guy's full name and where he works.

Is it worth it to hire a PI to run a check and tail him for a couple of nights?

Might be interesting to see what he does during the off hours.

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-05-2009, 19:23
Short term.Walkie talkies, shotgun and flashlight. sounds good
restraining order and a visit to his place of work.
I don't give long term advice because I wouldn't allow it to go long.
Blitzzz

koz
04-05-2009, 20:07
You can get the guy's full name and where he works.

Is it worth it to hire a PI to run a check and tail him for a couple of nights?

Might be interesting to see what he does during the off hours.

Just to give some more info - PI's are not cheap - about $85 per hour and that includes driving time. They will video all the activity and can testify in court if need be.
I spent about $7500 on one during my custody battle - but it was worth it.

Paslode
04-05-2009, 20:33
I had a uninvited creepy guy from Y-Care who came to gaze at my young soccer starlets whom I had to run off once.

I tried to be polite about it and inform him that he wasn't welcome and that the parents didn't like him around. I could not believe he wanted to argue about it! He just couldn't understand why no one wanted him around and besides one of the girls invited him.

He disappeared after I mentioned personally hunting him down if the need should ever arise.

Might have been the nicest guy in the world, but he did not understand personal boundaries and didn't like taking no for answer.

As KOS stated the PI's are worth it........don't try the DIY PI it can get you in big trouble with the law regardless of whether your in the right.

MeC86
04-05-2009, 20:50
We get calls like this all the time. The best advice has already been given and that is get protection/restraining/no-contact order (names change per jurisdiction). In this state, police CAN take action if you call on a suspicious person and the guy has an order against him. Otherwise all we can do is tell him to scram and wait for you to call again.

You already have a good plan with the K9's roaming around the residence.

The police response times aren't too bad here, but when seconds count, the police are just minutes away (no offense to any Officers)

None taken. It is actually a relief to see citizens who can care for themselves prior to police arrival. Just be prepared to identify and disarm yourself if they are called to the scene. Last thing I want to get is a suspicious person call and arrive onscene to encounter a guy walking around with a shotgun in the back yard....refusal to comply rarely ends up nicely.

Remington Raidr
04-05-2009, 23:39
DIY PI is a no-go, but gathering intel is good. What is his address and neighborhood? What vehicles has been operating? What are the tag numbers? DOES HE HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD? You might be suprised.

Sit down with an attorney, if nothing else for the peace of mind of the girl. Have your attorney contact the school board's legal counsel and set the matter for discussion at the next school board meeting. SOME (not all) school administrators are : a) cowards b)morons c)enablers or d)all of the above.
Now, this won't in and of itself solve the problem, but the issue will BE ON RECORD. I find bureaucrats grow a pair, not biguns, just enough to CYA. No need to accuse the teacher of impropriety or attack anyone, just raise the issue and both he and his supervisor may reevaluate their personal lines between fantasy and reality.

It's alwasy TORA, TORA, TORA, but how you do it really counts. Keep us posted.

BryanK
04-06-2009, 05:54
Thank you all for the great advice. Some new information came to light last night as to this teachers interest in the daughter. I don't believe it's the daughter he is interested in. Apparently my girlfriends Aunt went on a couple of dates with this guy a year or so ago. She told us after the second date she noticed that this guy was creepy, so she did not go out on any more dates with him. She didn't think he was unstable enough to let the principal know though. A few months after this however, is when her daughter started to receive these "gifts". A note on the chocolate arrangement last week read " (insert daughters name here), It is up to you who you share this with." The word you in that message was boldy written and underlined twice.

The Aunt has been keeping tabs on these events, and record of the emails she has sent to him and the school. Neither of which has replied. She heads to the court house today to start the ball rolling on a restraining order. The daughter also last week went to the school security guard after she received the candy, to no avail. The principal doesn't seem to be taking this seriously either. The Aunt also checked Maryland Judiciary Case Search which is a free public database of anyone who has a law violation. His name is apparently common, so it is taking her a while to weed out which one he is. I still maintain that she has a warrented gripe about this man going through her daughter over a case of rejection. Very juvenile IMHO, but to ignore and defy a request to stop the gift giving is indeed creepy and needs attention. I also find that giving a gift with a note like that right as school lets out for spring break is reason enough to raise hackles. Thank you all again, and I will update as things arise.

The Reaper
04-06-2009, 07:22
You know, one thing I have learned from life is that there is always more to the story than one side or the first version.

I don't know what is going on with this one, but it seems to me like there is a lot more to it and you are being dragged into this little drama.

TR

BryanK
04-06-2009, 08:16
You know, one thing I have learned from life is that there is always more to the story than one side or the first version.

I don't know what is going on with this one, but it seems to me like there is a lot more to it and you are being dragged into this little drama.

TR

Roger Sir. I had thought of this before hand, but I am not really being dragged into anything. I did my best to offer a helping hand. I had a feeling there was more to it also, but that did not negate her feelings of apprehension.

Richard
04-06-2009, 08:26
I had a feeling there was more to it also, but that did not negate her feelings of apprehension.

Then don't let her read the thread on martial law - she'll never be able to go to sleep. :rolleyes:

Richard's tinfoil wrapped $.02 :munchin