PDA

View Full Version : some 77th history

roscoemac
04-05-2009, 07:30
Welcome aboard!

Care to share some of the 77th SFGP history?;)

Team Sergeant
Joined 77th in Dec 1954. Assigned to FB 11 under a Maj. Dawson, FB Team Sergeant was Msgt. De Sota. Some high lights for me were: Summer 55 TDY to Fort Carson Col. for 50 days of mountaineering training including 2 and 3 man party rock climbing training and a week of survival training in the Rockies. Also spent time at Camp Hale for mule packing training with the only Army mules still left in the Army inventory. January 56 submarine infiltration training at Norfolk on the beach and on the Sea Lion, a sub used by the Marines. We could only get the sub in the Winter time since the Marines at it tied up other times. Colder than hell and only had fatigues, no wet suits or such. Maj. Dawson FB 11 team leader finally relented after some exhibited signs of hypothermia and let us build fires on the beach to warm up after ingresses and egresses through the surf. Unforgettable experience. Most of the time at Bragg was spent in the field as opposed to in the barracks. Also spent significant time at MacCall. In retrospect, the SF training at the time was unique in the Military much as it is today. Although the training today is much more extensive and difficult than we ever experienced. One other item that I recall is that we had a fair number of "Lodge Bill " personnel, i.e. foreigners who enlisted in our Army for 5 years to gain citizenship. Thus we had an instant multi-language capability. However, even with all that we could not come close to the SF capabilities and training of today. De Oppresso Liber.

greenberetTFS
04-05-2009, 11:43
roscoemac,

When did you get out? Were you in the "old" div area in the barracks behind the parade field adjacent to the 505 PIR,near by the theater? Got a whole bunch of questions for you,so I'll just send you a PM. It's great that your coming on board. This is a really great forum and I too am SFA for 31 years now, but this beats the hell out of the SFA's......;) Hell,I'm 72,and one of the old farts here, but they put up with me when I screw up on a posting so don't concern yourself if you do. I was only 18 when I went over to the 77th in April of '56.......:cool: Didn't last long, but you'll get the rest in my PM. Again,welcome aboard.....:D

GB TFS :munchin

roscoemac
04-05-2009, 15:57
Still learning how to use this site. I thought I answered this by clicking on "Quote" but maybe not after I saw the reply button. So here goes again:
Discharged in 57. Remember being on Smoke Bomb Hill and another location but don't think it was near the 505 theater. Only served one tour in the Army, following basic and advanced infantry training spent a total of one year in the 505 and 1.5 years in the 77th.

greenberetTFS
04-07-2009, 11:55
Joined 77th in Dec 1954. Assigned to FB 11 under a Maj. Dawson, FB Team Sergeant was Msgt. De Sota. Some high lights for me were: Summer 55 TDY to Fort Carson Col. for 50 days of mountaineering training including 2 and 3 man party rock climbing training and a week of survival training in the Rockies. Also spent time at Camp Hale for mule packing training with the only Army mules still left in the Army inventory. January 56 submarine infiltration training at Norfolk on the beach and on the Sea Lion, a sub used by the Marines. We could only get the sub in the Winter time since the Marines at it tied up other times. Colder than hell and only had fatigues, no wet suits or such. Maj. Dawson FB 11 team leader finally relented after some exhibited signs of hypothermia and let us build fires on the beach to warm up after ingresses and egresses through the surf. Unforgettable experience. Most of the time at Bragg was spent in the field as opposed to in the barracks. Also spent significant time at MacCall. In retrospect, the SF training at the time was unique in the Military much as it is today. Although the training today is much more extensive and difficult than we ever experienced. One other item that I recall is that we had a fair number of "Lodge Bill " personnel, i.e. foreigners who enlisted in our Army for 5 years to gain citizenship. Thus we had an instant multi-language capability. However, even with all that we could not come close to the SF capabilities and training of today. De Oppresso Liber.

roscomac,

Major Dawson rings a bell, also remember a Msgt. De Sota. Most of the Lodge Bill guys I recall where the Hungarian ones who were quite upset when the s**t hit the fan in their country and we didn't help them. They said (especially when you tried to understand them) that we pumped them up on "Radio Free America" broadcasts and did nothing when they fought the Russians and they expected us to come and help them. I remember that Ike put us we on alert and standby but nothing happened. Where you at Bragg at that time?

swpa19
04-27-2009, 09:05
In the latest copy of VERITAS, there is a really informative 8 page article regarding the inception of the 77th, and through their last deployment in Operation HOT FOOT (aka WHITE STAR)

Copies are sometimes available through:

USASOC
ATTN: AOHS VERITAS
E-2929
DESERT STORM DR
FORT BRAGG, NC 28310

Or, if your a SFA member, the president of your chapter should have some extras.

If all else fails pm me for additional details.

greenberetTFS
05-07-2009, 05:27
In the latest copy of VERITAS, there is a really informative 8 page article regarding the inception of the 77th, and through their last deployment in Operation HOT FOOT (aka WHITE STAR)

Copies are sometimes available through:

USASOC
ATTN: AOHS VERITAS
E-2929
DESERT STORM DR
FORT BRAGG, NC 28310

Or, if your a SFA member, the president of your chapter should have some extras.

If all else fails pm me for additional details.

swpa19,

Thanks for the info. I'll try that address at Ft. Bragg.....Wouldn't happen to have a phone number for them? :D