PDA

View Full Version : Tough old gun

Utah Bob
04-03-2009, 08:14
I picked up a Chicom SKS back in the day. It had been laying of the floor of the nasty SE Asia rainforest for awhile where it's former owner dropped it. I brought it home and pretty much forgot about it for 40 years, But then a few months ago I got a bug to shoot it. It was in lousy condition. Pitted exterior but pretty clean inside. The stock had some frag holes and rot so I replaced it. Cleaned and inspected all the parts and yesterday I dug around and found some 7.62x39 ammo, loaded it up and fired a box through it. Worked like a champ!
Now I reckon I'll hang it on the wall for another 40 years. :p

Still servicable (http://lazybobranch.homestead.com/sksstuff.jpg)
Back in the day pic (http://sassvets.homestead.com/utahjuly70.jpg)

Richard
04-03-2009, 08:52
Sounds like all you need to do is add a small brass plate to the butt stock with the date/location/unit you were with when it was found so it can be passed on as a family memento to be talked about by your heirs. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Kyobanim
04-03-2009, 09:06
this thread is useless without pics :munchin

Utah Bob
04-03-2009, 09:09
this thread is useless without pics :munchin

Click on the Still servicable line. It's a link to a pic.

Utah Bob
04-03-2009, 09:11
Sounds like all you need to do is add a small brass plate to the butt stock with the date/location/unit you were with when it was found so it can be passed on as a family memento to be talked about by your heirs. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Good idea. Thanks!

Buffalobob
04-03-2009, 13:29
I can guess at the hat but what's with the bicycle?

Utah Bob
04-03-2009, 14:12

We found a cache of about 200 of them in Cambodia. That was the preferred vehicle on the Ho Chi Minh trail. You pack it full of equipment, weapons, ammo, etc and walk it down the trail. Beats humpin a ruck .
Clever little fellas they were.

HOLLiS
04-04-2009, 07:52
I like the photo of the bike, but you won't pass as a Bac Biet. SKS, is a fine rifle, Ones in my A/O, had the blade bayonet and same for the AK, if memory is right. We where just south of the Border from Bac Nam.

Utah Bob
04-04-2009, 09:09
I like the photo of the bike, but you won't pass as a Bac Biet. SKS, is a fine rifle, Ones in my A/O, had the blade bayonet and same for the AK, if memory is right. We where just south of the Border from Bac Nam.

I ran the Kit Carson Scouts for awhile.
I they liked me because I was short and skinny too.:D

Ambush Master
04-04-2009, 10:35

We found a cache of about 200 of them in Cambodia. That was the preferred vehicle on the Ho Chi Minh trail. You pack it full of equipment, weapons, ammo, etc and walk it down the trail. Beats humpin a ruck .
Clever little fellas they were.

There was a rather "Comical" event where a SOG Recon Team ran across a similar cache!! When they sent the message that they had "Bicycles", they had overlooked the "Code-Words" of that day and the Command thought that they had some VERY HIGH ranking Officers of the NVA!!!

I believe that it was from CCS and the "Bicycle" that they brought back became a Compound Fixture!!!

Later.
Martin

HOLLiS
04-04-2009, 11:55
I ran the Kit Carson Scouts for awhile.
I they liked me because I was short and skinny too.:D

Chao Ong!

One of my partners was short and skinny and not the best looking guy, could have past for something like French/Viet mix. He spoke both N and S Biet. He had some locals, somewhat, convinced he was Bac Biet. I was 6ft and skinny.

I liked two of ours KCSs (Ding and Hoi), If things would have gone different, the 3rd one might have had a accident.