PDA

View Full Version : The difference between US and South Asian police

RichL025
03-30-2009, 21:52
So this just struck me recently.

Today a news story - nutso in NC starts killing little old ladies in a nursing home. First officer on the scene charges in, successfully disables the attacker. I'm sure this officer was scared shitless, but it certainly looks like any hesitation on his part was measured in miliseconds. Who knows how many lives that 25 year-old officer saved!

Contrast this with two stories recently from South Asia. Today in the news a police academy in Pakistan is attacked by gunmen, killing 12 or so. News reports describe pictures of policemen armed with AKs who are sitting around "nervously pointing their weapons at the academy".

A few months ago, during the gunman attacks on Mumbai, there were many pictures of armed men in uniforms (presumably cops) cowering as the islamic terrorists killed innocent civilians.

Please, someone tell me why all the South Asians with the courage to charge into the lions den seem to be on the OTHER SIDE!!!!!!!

Five-O
04-01-2009, 09:26
So this just struck me recently.

Today a news story - nutso in NC starts killing little old ladies in a nursing home. First officer on the scene charges in, successfully disables the attacker. I'm sure this officer was scared shitless, but it certainly looks like any hesitation on his part was measured in miliseconds. Who knows how many lives that 25 year-old officer saved!

Contrast this with two stories recently from South Asia. Today in the news a police academy in Pakistan is attacked by gunmen, killing 12 or so. News reports describe pictures of policemen armed with AKs who are sitting around "nervously pointing their weapons at the academy".

A few months ago, during the gunman attacks on Mumbai, there were many pictures of armed men in uniforms (presumably cops) cowering as the islamic terrorists killed innocent civilians.

Please, someone tell me why all the South Asians with the courage to charge into the lions den seem to be on the OTHER SIDE!!!!!!!

From a very brief "debriefing" on the NC job I received yesterday, the officer who responed was one of 15 officers in his department and he was the only one working that day. He new he was going in alone on an active shooter and was passing bodies on his movement to contact. Whatever fear he had was tucked away and he drove on. Great job in the midst of a tragedy.

Razor
04-01-2009, 11:44
Good on him! I'm glad to see he subscribes to "Serve and Protect" much more than "1*".