PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP .380

abc_123
03-28-2009, 18:08
Anyone here have any first-hand experience driving one of these?

Was looking at one today, and it seems like a solid little pistol (and I do mean little) and the online reviews are good (after the initial recall). Very backordered here in Northern VA.

thx.

:munchin

PRB
03-29-2009, 22:06
I have one, great little piece and solid shooter. You can shoot any .380 load without issue.
Mine prints dead on about 2" low at 15 feet.
I find that I carry it daily/everywhere because of the size/weight and using a galco ultimate second amendment holster can't be seen in shorts/T shirt.
I wasn't carrying my larger pistol due to weight/bulk so went this route.......first rule of a gunfight, have a gun.

JoeyB
03-30-2009, 10:07
I second them comments. My wife has one and I carry it when I run. Great gun, so far. Had a recall on some of them, ours was one, sent it back to Ruger, they returned it in 2 weeks with a spare mag. Good service there! :)

abc_123
03-30-2009, 13:09
I have one, great little piece and solid shooter. You can shoot any .380 load without issue.
Mine prints dead on about 2" low at 15 feet.
I find that I carry it daily/everywhere because of the size/weight and using a galco ultimate second amendment holster can't be seen in shorts/T shirt.
I wasn't carrying my larger pistol due to weight/bulk so went this route.......first rule of a gunfight, have a gun.

That's why I am looking at them. The "always have a gun" rule. I have a 5 shot .38 S&W that currently serves that purpose, but was looking for something that a a little more mag capacity and slimmer.

The unfortunate part is that they are so backordered at the local shop that by the time I get one the prime time for wanting a small light pistol (summer) will be come and gone.

Right now I carry a 89lb German Shepherd Dog pup when I run, but I think it'd be no trick at all to carry the LCP too!

Thanks for the replies!

PRB
03-30-2009, 16:38
Get one, you'll like it. I had to wait a bit too. It's the first 'pocket pistol' I've ever owned but Ruger makes a nice piece.
No safeties on the pistol and none required. The trigger pull is a double action set just like a revolver, the revolver length pull negates any need for a safety.
Ruger has just come out with a very light weight revolver too that I would recommend for the ladies not too familiar with auto loaders.
Hard to beat 9.4 ounces for a .380 that's .82 " wide .

HowardCohodas
08-07-2009, 06:33
The LCP with Crimson Trace LaserGuard is my EDC BUG in my front pants pocket. I find mine reliable and accurate. It shoots better than I do.

You might want to visit the LCP Forum (http://LCPforum.com/)

abc_123
08-07-2009, 18:27
I'm on the wait list for an LCP with a local shop.. .and on another wait list for .380 ammo online!!!

My wife seemed to like holding it. I'm hoping I can get her to carry it all the time.

That PT145 in a crossbreed holter (like alelks said) is very comfortable to carry...so I'd gladly donate the LCP to the wife if she had a mind to carry it.

I'm continuing the bitework with the dog, so at least my wife will have that when she goes on walks by herself even if she won't get her CCW permit.

abc_123
08-07-2009, 18:28
Taurus is supposedly coming out with a compact .380. (LCP Clone?? ) except it has a slide lock (or so I've heard).

HowardCohodas
08-07-2009, 18:46
Taurus is supposedly coming out with a compact .380. (LCP Clone?? ) except it has a slide lock (or so I've heard).

Taurus introduced the Taurus 738 TCP (http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/01/17/taurus-738-tcp-380-acp-pistol-takes-aim-at-the-ruger-lcp/) at the 2009 Shot Show earlier this year.

abc_123
08-07-2009, 18:57
Taurus introduced the Taurus 738 TCP (http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/01/17/taurus-738-tcp-380-acp-pistol-takes-aim-at-the-ruger-lcp/) at the 2009 Shot Show earlier this year.

and.. any word?

No matter what, I'd still probably not buy one.. as I'm a big believer in letting others work out the kinks in new products.

HowardCohodas
08-08-2009, 03:59
No matter what, I'd still probably not buy one.. as I'm a big believer in letting others work out the kinks in new products.

And miss out on all the pleasures of being an "early adopter!' :D

abc_123
08-08-2009, 05:29
And miss out on all the pleasures of being an "early adopter!' :D

Yeah, I feel real bad that I missed out on the first two generations (with recalls) of the LCP (one of the reasons for the wait for my 3RD GEN gun).

Ambush Master
08-08-2009, 08:57
I've been carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT since they came out. Previously I carried the P-32, both of which are the "Hard Chrome" models. I love them, although I did have to "touch them up" so that they are reliable. At 8.3 oz, .77" width and 6 + 1 it is easily carried in the waist-band of gym shorts/Pajama Bottoms/Sweat Pants etc.!! I went with the Hard Chrome due to the hot weather here in Texas and I carry it in an Uncle Mikes Size 1 Pocket Holster. I frequently carry it in the "Hidden Pockets" of the 511 Tactical Series Shirts.

Smokin Joe
08-08-2009, 09:22
I've been carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT since they came out. Previously I carried the P-32, both of which are the "Hard Chrome" models. I love them, although I did have to "touch them up" so that they are reliable. At 8.3 oz, .77" width and 6 + 1 it is easily carried in the waist-band if gym shorts!! I went with the Hard Chrome due to the hot weather here in Texas and carry it in an Uncle Mikes Size 1 Pocket Holster. I frequently carry it in the "Hidden Pockets" of the 511 Tactical Series Shirts.

I used to carry one of these every day on my vest as a back up. Today I carry it tucked in a pocket, with the after market clip you can get, it looks like you just have knife clipped to your pocket.

I can make head shots out to 15 yards with it too.

kawika
08-08-2009, 19:36
I second the kel tec p3at. It's cheaper than the ruger. http://www.mouseguns.com/semis.htm I actually wish I had one. I bought the pf-9 which is awesome. But its to much int he middle. My other concealed carrys are a USP 40c and S&W M&P .45 midsize. So for the small bugout gun i'd much rather have super small. And that is absolutely the p3at or ruger. Like I said Id get p3at for the price. If price doesn't matter itd go kahr 380, ruger then p3at last.

Ambush Master
08-08-2009, 20:57
I also have a P-11 (9mm) and it is very concealable. I'm mostly a Hi-Power or Glock type, but the Hard Chrome Kel-Tecs fill in the gaps!!

Later.
Martin

alright4u
08-09-2009, 21:45
Larry's Pistol and Pawn Huntsville AL had a huge sale Friday and Sat on Rugers. They had an entire truck full of Federal Ammo. They had every brand and cal of ammo in stock except Speer. I loaded up on ammo, to include ammo cals I do not use. Have extra 380 personal defense. It is Federal.

abc_123
08-10-2009, 15:03
Larry's Pistol and Pawn Huntsville AL had a huge sale Friday and Sat on Rugers. They had an entire truck full of Federal Ammo. They had every brand and cal of ammo in stock except Speer. I loaded up on ammo, to include ammo cals I do not use.

I hate you so bad!:D

abc_123
08-29-2009, 18:06
Got my LCP yesterday.

Seeing those little .380 bullets next to my .45 230gr Gold Dots makes me a firm believer in the bigger is better theory! HOWEVER, I'm digging this little pistol VERY small, and VERY light. I haven't run any rounds through it yet, but it's so small that I've been walking around with it in the pocket of my shorts just for grins all day and hardly know its there.

I haven't shot it yet, but I like the trigger pull better than my taurus PT 145 Pro and my .38 S&W snubbie. Long, but that's ok because it seems smooth enough and not too hard or sloppy.

I also have 150 rds of .380 in the gun cabinet... so life is good right now.

ABN307
08-29-2009, 19:19
A crimson trace makes a nice addition to the LCP.

Peregrino
08-29-2009, 20:22
A crimson trace makes a nice addition to the LCP.

Couldn't agree more. We put some pink ones on the wife's 642 and she loves them. It makes up for the "rudimentary" sights on most pocket pistols. Saw some CTLGs for the LCP at the Greensboro (NC) Gun Show today for $185 - seemed reasonable to me.

Lmmsoat
08-29-2009, 22:59
I have some good experience with the LCP. The trigger guard tends to slap the top of your middle finger. Minor anoyance that can bother you after a long shooting session. Other than that it's a good pocket pistol. It was designed to fit the nich of those who needed a weapon for deep concealment.

HowardCohodas
08-30-2009, 03:12
Great combo. EDC pants front pocket as BUG. Prefer Crimson Trace to other alternatives for laser.

Added NiteSiters fluorescent dots to improve sight acquisition. Prefer 2-dot configuration. Fluorescence does not last long enough to be reliable after all day in pocket, but is still nice in normal light. Dry fire with laser 2-3 times per week to maintain trigger discipline. Biofeedback from red dot at 10 ft is superb training tool. Makes range time more efficient.

TFA303
09-03-2009, 10:54
I went to the same Ruger sale that alright4u mentioned. I got to shoot the new LCR, and I loved it. I've never been able to shoot that well with a DA snubbie before, but the LCR made it easy. My wife wants one now, too.

The LCR isn't as flat as the LCP, but it's still plenty light enough for EDC. If you're looking to upgrade from your current .38, it's a great little gun.